PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you caught Bond's 700th?

cubhater
09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Anyone going to Brew Town for Bond's possible 700th HR? I got RF seats for Wedsday and Thursday's games in Milawukee and hope he doesn't hit 700 on Tuesday. I want to be a part of baseball history.

Now a question....What would you do if you caught Bond's 700th? I don't know if I would return it for some autographed memorabilia or get bucks for it on Ebay? Paying off my mortgage,student loans, and other bills is tempting but I'd just as soon see the ball in the HOF.

MRKARNO
09-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I would give it to either the HOF or to Bonds. The short term money thing is tempting, but I'd rather see the ball be displayed for Barry or for the public in the HOF than on the desk of some private rich guy who'll never show it.

HomeFish
09-13-2004, 10:22 PM
The 700 ball is not going to stay valuable for long as Bonds launches 701, 702, and who knows how many more.

Blueprint1
09-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I would give it to either the HOF or to Bonds. The short term money thing is tempting, but I'd rather see the ball be displayed for Barry or for the public in the HOF than on the desk of some private rich guy who'll never show it.
I would keep it. I woudnt sell it I would keep it in my collection.

mantis1212
09-13-2004, 11:03 PM
$$$

The highest bidder would be getting that ball from me. It's Bonds, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

If it were Frank Thomas' milestone ball, however, I would hand it to him.

Clembasbal
09-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Since it is Bonds, I am positive if I caught any one of his milestone homerun balls that I would keep it and never sell it or give it back to him.

I wouldn't want him to get it, but I would loan it to the HOF sometimes...because it is an important ball.

TommyJohn
09-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Throw it back, of course.

ewokpelts
09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Anyone going to Brew Town for Bond's possible 700th HR? I got RF seats for Wedsday and Thursday's games in Milawukee and hope he doesn't hit 700 on Tuesday. I want to be a part of baseball history.

Now a question....What would you do if you caught Bond's 700th? I don't know if I would return it for some autographed memorabilia or get bucks for it on Ebay? Paying off my mortgage,student loans, and other bills is tempting but I'd just as soon see the ball in the HOF.I'd ask mlb for ASG tix...for life.
Gene

Jjav829
09-13-2004, 11:41 PM
I'd love to give some heart-warming response like "I would give it back to Barry to respect the integrity of the game and put the ball where it belongs." But honestly, if I caught it I'd probably sell it to the highest bidder and I'm confident that about 90% of the people here would as well whether you admit it or not. Once you see that you can get 6 figures for a ball, the historic meaning of it suddenly vanishes. You start thinking about all the bills you can pay off, and how you can buy that car you always wanted, or pay off your house/car, put your kids through college, put yourself through college, whatever you may need money for. That has a way of making you forget about what the ball means in baseball terms.

White Sox>Cubs
09-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Throw it back, of course.

I have always wondered what Cubs fans would have done in this situation.

balke
09-14-2004, 12:24 AM
[/color]

I have always wondered what Cubs fans would have done in this situation.
Well, it would land on Waveland, so hopefully they'd get hit by a car in that situation.

StillMissOzzie
09-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Rest comfortably, knowing that my kids' college educations were covered. Hand it back to BB for an autographed bat? Fat chance. And ewokpelts, you might clear enough dough to BUY ASG tix for life. $200 x 2 x 50 = $20,000 would cover you for the next 50 years.

SMO
:gulp:
And maybe a cocktail for myself...

doublem23
09-14-2004, 01:31 AM
I'd ask him for an autographed bat or jersey. I got to get something for that ball, 'cuz I'm going to get my assed kicked to get it.

doublem23
09-14-2004, 01:32 AM
[/color]

I have always wondered what Cubs fans would have done in this situation.Pfft, if Joe Blow hit a homer at Wrigley tomorrow they'd keep it. They just throw back a fake they brought with them. I'm telling you, if you ever get bleacher seats at Wrigley, bring an assortment of sports balls (golf, etc.) and just go nuts if someone on the other team hits a homer.

MUsoxfan
09-14-2004, 01:35 AM
As much as I despise Bonds, I'd gladly give him the ball back. It's his record and he should get the ball. If he offered a reward I'd just tell him to pay half the bill for White Sox season tickets. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Tekijawa
09-14-2004, 09:37 AM
I'd blame the homer on a Goat and blow it up at a restaraunt on opening day.

Baby Fisk
09-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Sell it to that comic book guy from Canada who buys everyone else's milestone HR balls. It looks like he's got a lot of money to burn and "financial planning" is not in his vocabulary, so I'll snap up some of his greenbacks while he's still giving them away like water.

Mickster
09-14-2004, 10:22 AM
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/homepage/v2/logo_171x102.gif

:)

White Sox>Cubs
09-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Pfft, if Joe Blow hit a homer at Wrigley tomorrow they'd keep it. They just throw back a fake they brought with them. I'm telling you, if you ever get bleacher seats at Wrigley, bring an assortment of sports balls (golf, etc.) and just go nuts if someone on the other team hits a homer.A lot of the times when I watch sCrUBs games, the fans usually throw the ball onto the field without heisitation.

Dont worry, I am NEVER ever going to anymore sCrUBs games. I have already had a taste of the Wrigley's bleechers during this year at a half price Monday game against the Twins. It was quite possibly one of the worst games I have ever been to- fanwise that is.

LuvSox
09-14-2004, 01:26 PM
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/homepage/v2/logo_171x102.gif

:)
I'd sell it to the highest bidder. That clown can give it back to Bonds if he wants.

doublem23
09-14-2004, 02:13 PM
A lot of the times when I watch sCrUBs games, the fans usually throw the ball onto the field without heisitation.

Dont worry, I am NEVER ever going to anymore sCrUBs games. I have already had a taste of the Wrigley's bleechers during this year at a half price Monday game against the Twins. It was quite possibly one of the worst games I have ever been to- fanwise that is.
Perhaps, but of the Cub games I watch on TV, you can usually see the guys stealthly making the switch and throwing another one back. I remember, it may have been earlier this year, that they showed a Bleacher bum doing that. He caught an opposing team's homer, turned around and you could see him pull a 2nd ball from his pocket and toss that one back and keep the real one. Nice it was caught on national TV.

daveeym
09-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Those of you saying you'd keep it for your personal collection might be in for a shock. I'm not sure what the final verdict was but during the sosa/mac race I remember the IRS sticking their noses into the mess and saying if you caught a record breaking home run and kept it you'd still get taxed on it for what it was "worth". There were quite a few articles on this and I forget what the final determination was. If it was you'd get taxed that year on it whether you sold it or not or only if you sold the ball and raked in the dough.

silhouette
09-14-2004, 04:11 PM

Now a question....What would you do if you caught Bond's 700th? I don't know if I would return it for some autographed memorabilia or get bucks for it on Ebay? Paying off my mortgage,student loans, and other bills is tempting but I'd just as soon see the ball in the HOF.
I'd probably rent it out to HOF, if not then I'll sell it.

White Sox>Cubs
09-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Perhaps, but of the Cub games I watch on TV, you can usually see the guys stealthly making the switch and throwing another one back. I remember, it may have been earlier this year, that they showed a Bleacher bum doing that. He caught an opposing team's homer, turned around and you could see him pull a 2nd ball from his pocket and toss that one back and keep the real one. Nice it was caught on national TV.Yeah, I remember that. I was laughing my ass off. But that's the only time I remember that happening.

Since I did not answer the question in my previous posts, why not do it now. If I caught Bonds' 700th HR, I would sell it right away. I would consider giving Bonds the ball back if he asked, but it would have to be at a high price.:D:

OurBitchinMinny
09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
$$$

The highest bidder would be getting that ball from me. It's Bonds, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

If it were Frank Thomas' milestone ball, however, I would hand it to him.
Why? frank thomas has acted as big of a jerk as bonds at times. Not to mention hes not close to the player bonds is. The only player I would not give a milestone ball back to is sosa because hes an ass and im positive most many of his HRs are tainted. Im not as sure about bonds

he_gone_89
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Why? frank thomas has acted as big of a jerk as bonds at times. Not to mention hes not close to the player bonds is. The only player I would not give a milestone ball back to is sosa because hes an ass and im positive most many of his HRs are tainted. Im not as sure about bonds
if it was sosa or bonds,i'd sell it to whomever writes the biggest check for it

the only person id hand it back to would be frank thomas,cuz he,along with manny and dave in boston and paulie,is one of the best roid-free hitters in the AL.

cubhater
09-14-2004, 11:14 PM
I'd love to give some heart-warming response like "I would give it back to Barry to respect the integrity of the game and put the ball where it belongs." But honestly, if I caught it I'd probably sell it to the highest bidder and I'm confident that about 90% of the people here would as well whether you admit it or not. Once you see that you can get 6 figures for a ball, the historic meaning of it suddenly vanishes. You start thinking about all the bills you can pay off, and how you can buy that car you always wanted, or pay off your house/car, put your kids through college, put yourself through college, whatever you may need money for. That has a way of making you forget about what the ball means in baseball terms.
That's my reasoning too. I'd love say I'd give it back but the $$$ is something I couldn't pass up. Hey, if players and owners can be greedy, why can't fans like us do the same?

Bond's went HR-less tonight so there's still the chance I can get the ball during the next two games. Look for the guy in the Sox hat in RF!

voodoochile
09-14-2004, 11:45 PM
I'd offer to sell it to Barry and/or MLB at a "discount" (read 10% below market value) and if they refused, I would sell it for whatever I could get. Chances like that come along once in a lifetime. You take them and run to the bank unless you are so rich it doesn't matter anymore...

voodoochile
09-14-2004, 11:50 PM
That's my reasoning too. I'd love say I'd give it back but the $$$ is something I couldn't pass up. Hey, if players and owners can be greedy, why can't fans like us do the same?

Bond's went HR-less tonight so there's still the chance I can get the ball during the next two games. Look for the guy in the Sox hat in RF!You know, it is simply ridiculous that MLB doesn't have a program in place to pay off the fans that catch these pieces of history. As much money as they have, it would be not only a grand gesture to the people who make it possible for them to be the rich arrogant idiots they are, but think of the marketing possibilities.

Pepsi gives away $1B per year (potentially) and markets it into tons of business. MLB could run a marketing campaign around the idea.

Can't you see the commercials with the smiling fan handing the ball to Barry and getting one of those outsized checks? Ed McMahon who? Stunningly stupid, nearsighted, petty, egotistical and cheap that MLB hasn't done something to prevent these pieces of history from ending up in some rich guy's living room.

Remarkably easy to set up too...

:tool
"honestly, we just can't afford it... now where did I put that billion dollar discretionary fund?"

balke
09-15-2004, 01:04 AM
You know, it is simply ridiculous that MLB doesn't have a program in place to pay off the fans that catch these pieces of history. As much money as they have, it would be not only a grand gesture to the people who make it possible for them to be the rich arrogant idiots they are, but think of the marketing possibilities.

Pepsi gives away $1B per year (potentially) and markets it into tons of business. MLB could run a marketing campaign around the idea.

Can't you see the commercials with the smiling fan handing the ball to Barry and getting one of those outsized checks? Ed McMahon who? Stunningly stupid, nearsighted, petty, egotistical and cheap that MLB hasn't done something to prevent these pieces of history from ending up in some rich guy's living room.

Remarkably easy to set up too...

:tool
"honestly, we just can't afford it... now where did I put that billion dollar discretionary fund?"
I can only see 50 guys in paddle boats hacking at each other with their oars turning mccovy cove into an aquatic coliseum. Or poor annebriated flubs fans jumping over the fence plopping onto Waveland for BB 715 ball... I like your thinking regardless.

Fungo
09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
I'd give it to Barry.

BainesHOF
09-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Since Bonds charges hundreds of dollars per autograph, I'd sell the ball for whatever I could get for it.

balke
09-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Since Bonds charges hundreds of dollars per autograph, I'd sell the ball for whatever I could get for it.
LOL! You'll never hear someone say "It couldn't have happened to a better guy".

ma_deuce
09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Why? frank thomas has acted as big of a jerk as bonds at times.
Yeah, but he's our jerk!!! :wink:

voodoochile
09-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Why? frank thomas has acted as big of a jerk as bonds at times. Not to mention hes not close to the player bonds is.
Source?

Also, there are maybe 3 players in MLB history who are on Bonds level. Frank would be one tier down in the next 5 though, so you really are only proving how little you understand the game when you make comments like this.

Frank Thomas is one of the greatest hitters in history and a case can be made that he is the greatest RH hitter ever.

It's petty and ridiculous to continue to perpetuate the lies, misinformation and outright slander the media and the Sox have allowed to be spread about the Big Man.

Lem_Siddons
09-17-2004, 04:33 AM
After recovering from the injuries inflicted by the 2004 equivelent of the street gang in Warriors (the dudes with the Yankmee uniforms), finishing the legal case from the other 6 fans who claim they caught it, I would be selling it to the highest bidder.

No maybe not the highest, if the #2 or #3 bidder wanted to destroy the ball, I'd sell it to him.

I would only give it back to Bonds if he could positively produce some blood samples for each of the past years since he started working out so much

row18
09-19-2004, 02:45 AM
I would give the ball back to Bonds, but I will ask for the following:
Season tix for next season
A sign bat, ball, halmet, tix stub w/phot for authenticty
A room and board w/ tox for 2 to the WS
and Churros

LongLiveFisk
09-19-2004, 11:39 AM
I think I would have to sell it to the highest bidder. It's not every day you get a chance to make some serious money. Plus if something happens to that ball, you're screwed. I'd rather get the $ and not have to worry about it. I'm just being honest.

StillMissOzzie
09-19-2004, 04:54 PM
After recovering from the injuries inflicted by the 2004 equivelent of the street gang in Warriors...
The Lizzies?

:D: