PDA

View Full Version : 8-3 September so far

Mohoney
09-12-2004, 01:10 AM
I have to take this as a positive. We're definitely building some good momentum for 2005.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like every time Crede sits, we win.

Brian26
09-12-2004, 01:14 AM
We're 8-3 so far, and the Twins are 9-2 in their last 11 games. Unbelievable.

pudge
I have to take this as a positive. We're definitely building some good momentum for 2005.

Don't forget Borchard - and Gload gets in the lineup and the offense has some dimension....

I dunno, if we woulda had some balls and benched Crede long ago, plus not given Borchard a big league tryout, we might be a few games closer...

Nard
Burke and Gload are good, good players. 'nuff said here.

pudge
09-12-2004, 01:16 AM
that sucks so bad i can't put it into words

MRKARNO
09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
It's nice to see that the White Sox aren't just laying down and dying now that there are no more playoff ramifications. I just want to see some good baseball for the last month of the season to end the year on a positive note. They are off to a nice start to this month.

Mohoney
09-12-2004, 01:24 AM
It's nice to see that the White Sox aren't just laying down and dying now that there are no more playoff ramifications. I just want to see some good baseball for the last month of the season to end the year on a positive note. They are off to a nice start to this month.
Plus, we might actually make this team look like a desirable place for a free agent pitcher to come to.

Take Paulie, Carlos, Rowand, and re-insert Frank? Some pitcher dying for run support might look at this as a definite positive. They might also be comfortable with our catching situation, which appears to be all right, providing we finally convince Sandy to call it a career.

JB98
09-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Now do you understand why I took you to task for your optimism? I don't find the Twins record to be unbelievable at all. They are a good baseball team. They've proven they know how to get the job done in September, and they aren't going to choke. Especially against the likes of Kansas City, Baltimore and Detroit.

We are 4-2 against two quality teams so far on this trip. As Sox fans, we have to be pleased with the effort we're getting. The deficit we face is totally insurmountable, but I hope we finish with a winning record. That would be a nice accomplishment given the amount of adversity this team has had to face in the second half.

SOX PRIDE!!!!!!:supernana:

Mohoney
09-12-2004, 01:35 AM
Now do you understand why I took you to task for your optimism? I don't find the Twins record to be unbelievable at all. They are a good baseball team. They've proven they know how to get the job done in September, and they aren't going to choke. Especially against the likes of Kansas City, Baltimore and Detroit.

We are 4-2 against two quality teams so far on this trip. As Sox fans, we have to be pleased with the effort we're getting. The deficit we face is totally insurmountable, but I hope we finish with a winning record. That would be a nice accomplishment given the amount of adversity this team has had to face in the second half.

SOX PRIDE!!!!!!:supernana:
To be quite frank, I would be happy with 2 things:

1 Win the season series against the Twins

2 Finish as close to 86 wins as we can, thus proving ONCE AND FOR ALL that Manuel was indeed the problem with the 2003 team and any team even remotely interested in winning would have fired him in May.

Manuel had both Frank and Magglio, had a Cy Young-caliber pitcher in Loaiza that came completely out of nowhere, had a deeper bullpen, and STILL screwed the pooch.

Put Ozzie in charge of that '03 team, and we would have went places.

Nard
09-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Plus, Ozzie will maybe learn his **** a little bit better by next year.

Next year is gonna be real good especially if KW can do some big time wheelin' 'n' dealin'.

Smarter, more experienced Ozzie. A quality SP. Better bullpen. Different team focus. Slimmer, better Dino-boy. Momentum from a solid finish to 2004... yeah baby. Oh, and Frank of course.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-12-2004, 01:46 AM
i like that they're playing like this without maggs or frank. it's the best the team has played without the big 2 IMO. Then again, how many times have the white sox played above average in garbage time only to disappoint at the beginning of the following season? I hope it changes with Ozzie at the helm and a few FA acquisitions this off season. :cool:

hellenicsoxfan
09-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Then again, how many times have the white sox played above average in garbage time only to disappoint at the beginning of the following season? I hope it changes with Ozzie at the helm and a few FA acquisitions this off season. :cool:I was thinking the same thing. As well as they may play in September, management better not use that as and excuse to do nothing this winter. There are definite holes that need to be filled.

TornLabrum
09-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Seems like I've heard that before...like last year.

TornLabrum
09-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Plus, Ozzie will maybe learn his **** a little bit better by next year.

Next year is gonna be real good especially if KW can do some big time wheelin' 'n' dealin'.

Smarter, more experienced Ozzie. A quality SP. Better bullpen. Different team focus. Slimmer, better Dino-boy. Momentum from a solid finish to 2004... yeah baby. Oh, and Frank of course.
:reinsy

"And to show how pleased I am with this club's performance and with the bigger crowds this year, our payroll budget will be a whopping $32 million!"

:KW

"Would you like onions and relish on your hot dog, boss?"

chisoxt
09-12-2004, 08:56 AM

Once again, the fact that the Sox win games during garbage time dupes another Sox fan, and most likely, our GM into thinking we still have the makings of a contenting team for 2005. Look, the best thing that Kenny can do is to dump this whole thing and start over, and do it the right way this time.

Dan H
09-12-2004, 08:58 AM
that sucks so bad i can't put it into words
What truly sucks is that the Sox played themselves into a position where they had to depend on the division leader to fold. I am glad they are not folding their tents and going home, but their recent streak is much too little, much too late. A lot of has to be done with this team in the off season. If some major moves aren't made, a good September in '04 won't mean anything.

SOXSINCE'70
09-12-2004, 09:41 AM
The Sox are the Bridesmaid,the Twins are the Bride.

"Fung is winning and winning is fung"-Ozzie Guiilen

"2ND PLACE FINISHES SUCK!!!!"- SS 70:(: :(: :(:

Flight #24
09-12-2004, 10:13 AM
What truly sucks is that the Sox played themselves into a position where they had to depend on the division leader to fold. I am glad they are not folding their tents and going home, but their recent streak is much too little, much too late. A lot of has to be done with this team in the off season. If some major moves aren't made, a good September in '04 won't mean anything.
Major moves like.....adding a hall of fame hitter who's still one of the top offensive forces in baseball? This team isn't that far off, get Frank back, make a couple of additions (solid #3 or 4 SP, couple of solid 'pen arms) and we're fine for next year. After that you'll have to start rebuilding anyway as you'll likely lose Koney and have many more rebuilding options with Frank & Carlos & Contreras all close to the end of their contracts.

Dan H
09-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Major moves like.....adding a hall of fame hitter who's still one of the top offensive forces in baseball? This team isn't that far off, get Frank back, make a couple of additions (solid #3 or 4 SP, couple of solid 'pen arms) and we're fine for next year. After that you'll have to start rebuilding anyway as you'll likely lose Koney and have many more rebuilding options with Frank & Carlos & Contreras all close to the end of their contracts.
Sorry don't buy it. Frank will be one year closer to 40 and will have to rebound after another serious injury. This team has been together for years and have one division title and three playoff losses to show for it. I just don't think we should allow ourselves just to blame injuries for this season's disappointment. All I am saying is that some serious evaluation has to be done here. Just trying to patch holes from year to year hasn't cut it.

mdep524
09-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Sorry don't buy it. Frank will be one year closer to 40 and will have to rebound after another serious injury. This team has been together for years and have one division title and three playoff losses to show for it. I just don't think we should allow ourselves just to blame injuries for this season's disappointment. All I am saying is that some serious evaluation has to be done here. Just trying to patch holes from year to year hasn't cut it.
What he said. :cool:

I like Frank, and look forward to seeing him back in the line up in '05, but you can't count on him as a cornerstone anymore- he's older and a serious injury risk. The injuries and "strong finish" (which is debatable anyway), are not true reasons for standing pat. I hope KW doesn't take that easy way out.

Also, about Ross Gload, I think he should be out there at 1B everyday right now, with Paulie at DH. He's really tearing it up lately and he deserves the PT. At the very least he is a premier left-handed bat off the bench, at the best he might be a solid if unspectacular everyday 1B- some power, some patience, good glove, left handed.... you never know.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Sorry don't buy it. Frank will be one year closer to 40 and will have to rebound after another serious injury. This team has been together for years and have one division title and three playoff losses to show for it. I just don't think we should allow ourselves just to blame injuries for this season's disappointment. All I am saying is that some serious evaluation has to be done here. Just trying to patch holes from year to year hasn't cut it.I hate to admit it, but I believe you are right.
:(:

You know what is really scary? The realization that the Chicago White Sox are now in the twilight of having the services of the greatest ballplayer in the 100+ year history of the franchise... and we have exactly two playoff victories to show for it, both of them 12 long seasons ago. Holy ****...

Just how bad are the Chicago White Sox without Frank Thomas? None of us are going to have to wait too long to find out.

fusillirob1983
09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
We'll finally get those early first round draft picks everyone wants.

soxfanreggie
09-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Finally, we got two wins in a row out of someone like Grilli. We will be so much better if we get another quality starter and boot Garland to the 5th spot until he can show us he uses the potential he has.

batmanZoSo
09-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I hate to admit it, but I believe you are right.

You know what is really scary? The realization that the Chicago White Sox are now in the twilight of having the services of the greatest ballplayer in the 100+ year history of the franchise... and we have exactly two playoff victories to show for it, both of them 12 long seasons ago. Holy ****...

Just how bad are the Chicago White Sox without Frank Thomas? None of us are going to have to wait too long to find out.
We've already seen what we're like without him.

:Hawk
No chaaaance....

KW has to realize that big changes need to happen this winter or else he's a moron and should be fired and that'll be the end, time to rebuild again. But if we acquire a great starter and stack the bullpen, it doesn't matter what the lineup's like, we'll have a good chance to really do something. I hope KW sees how important getting another great starter is.

gosox41
09-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Havne't the Sox played well the last 5 September's or so? At least it seems they have when they're 10 games out of first place with no pressure on them.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
09-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I am getting a contact high by just reading the first page of replies. I think I will just sit back with a big bag of cheetohs and go with the flow rather than get frustrated.

chisoxmike
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
For the past 2 years whenever we needed the Twins to lose, they win. Thats what good baseball teams do.

But man, just imagine the Twins only playing .500 ball. The next few weeks could've been exciting.