PDA

View Full Version : Sox Jersey

josh152535
09-11-2004, 08:44 PM
I am thinking of customizing an old school Sox jersey, circa 1988-1990. However, I cannot find one anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find an authentic jersey of those years?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2004, 08:49 PM
I got mine after diligently watching eBay auctions for most of two years. However I believe Mitchell & Ness now make an "authentic" replica. However it only comes in #23 (Ventura) and #21 (Sosa). So much for authenticity... Sosa wore #25 with the Sox.

santo=dorf
09-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I got mine after diligently watching eBay auctions for most of two years. However I believe Mitchell & Ness now make an "authentic" replica. However it only comes in #23 (Ventura) and #21 (Sosa). So much for authenticity... Sosa wore #25 with the Sox.
IIRC, Granstand was advertising Ventura, Thomas, and Guillen Jerseys from that era.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2004, 09:00 PM
IIRC, Granstand was advertising Ventura, Thomas, and Guillen Jerseys from that era.
Yeah, I think you're right. All I remember for sure is that I couldn't get #22 Calderon. I also remember the Mitchell & Ness version costs an arm and a leg.
:mad:

HomeFish
09-11-2004, 09:04 PM
I still want that #22 Ed Farmer jersey, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen. Not in a historically correct fashion, at least.

SaltyPretzel
09-11-2004, 09:34 PM
#21 was Robin's original number. I'd stick to #23 though. :smile:

ewokpelts
09-11-2004, 09:43 PM
#21 was Robin's original number. I'd stick to #23 though. :smile:I gues that explains why there's a 21 jersey in the sox hof.
Gene

SaltyPretzel
09-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I gues that explains why there's a 21 jersey in the sox hof.
Gene
I sure hope so. :?:

Hangar18
09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
That 88-90 uniform ......... with the script "white sox" on the front
was probably one of the UGLIEST uniforms around. The only reason
the visiting uniform looked GREAT was because it said in script "chicago"
on the front. It looked so good, that the SOX actually kept that
version for their current Road Uniform, which I add is one of the BEST LOOKING ROAD UNIFORMS RIGHT NOW

doublem23
09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
There's at least one jersey uglier than the Sox's '88-'90 jersey...

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/82DoubleKnits.jpg

The Critic
09-13-2004, 12:52 PM
There's at least one jersey uglier than the Sox's '88-'90 jersey...

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/82DoubleKnits.jpg
That uniform seems to be more popular these days than it was at the time.
I know I never liked those "toothpaste tube" uni's.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
That uniform seems to be more popular these days than it was at the time.
I know I never liked those "toothpaste tube" uni's.
That uniform design was dated the moment the Sox unveiled them in 1982. Hell, the Astros had been wearing similar elastic band nonsense for nearly 10 years. It was inevitable that the Sox would have to ditch this dated look after only a few seasons.

I find it amusing that younger fans today think those uniforms are hip because they look "retro." They're right, but not for the reasons they think.
:cool:

Hangar18
09-13-2004, 02:25 PM
That uniform design was dated the moment the Sox unveiled them in 1982. Hell, the Astros had been wearing similar elastic band nonsense for nearly 10 years. It was inevitable that the Sox would have to ditch this dated look after only a few seasons.

I find it amusing that younger fans today think those uniforms are hip because they look "retro." They're right, but not for the reasons they think.
:cool:Actually, If anyone remembers correctly, the SOX had a contest to design the new uniform. Fans were asked to send in drawings ....... and 6 "finalists"
were picked. A Fold Out Ballot was given out, showing the 6 Uniform Ideas
in Color (exactly like the attachment pics DoubleM used in this thread)
The uniforms were mostly Navy and Red scheme, except for one that was Blue & Gold in color, and really looked like a Softball uniform. The one that stuck out, and NOT for good reason, was a Houston Astros copy, but instead of Yellow and Orange and Red stripes on the whole front, it was Navy Blue, Light Blue and Red stripes all blocked, on the front of the jersey. Where it said "Astros" on that weird uniform of theirs, instead said "White Sox" or "Sox".

That Crazy looking uniform was the one that "won", and was given to Major League Baseball. They reserved the right to make some "slight changes" which was the 1983 Uniforms we all love (and hate heh heh). MLB completely changed the Winning Design to what we saw back in the 80's,
probably good that they did. I used to have that Sample Ballot for YEARS, but lost it over time. Wish I still had that, id download them here, so everyone at WSI could see what SOX fans came up with, for
Uniform Ideas. I remember some of them were pretty bad :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Actually, If anyone remembers correctly, the SOX had a contest to design the new uniform. Fans were asked to send in drawings ....... and 6 "finalists"
were picked. ....
*ahem*... you should check out the Sox uniform guide (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104)on WSI's main page. Some guy I know wrote and documented this entire subject, including posting this illustration of the HORRIBLE ideas the fans submitted for new uniform designs back in 1981-82.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/81Fans.jpg

As bad as those 1982 uniforms are, the fan submissions were even worse.
:tongue:

Baby Fisk
09-13-2004, 02:51 PM
*ahem*... you should check out the Sox uniform guide (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104)on WSI's main page. Some guy I know wrote and documented this entire subject, including posting this illustration of the HORRIBLE ideas the fans submitted for new uniform designs back in 1981-82.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/81Fans.jpg

As bad as those 1982 uniforms are, the fan submissions were even worse.
:tongue:Sweet mother of god! :o: This is why sensitive projects like uniform design are best left to experts in the fields of baseball marketing/history/fashion, and not hyper-creative teenage fans.

Hangar18
09-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Sweet mother of god! :o: This is why sensitive projects like uniform design are best left to experts in the fields of baseball marketing/history/fashion, and not hyper-creative teenage fans.
Have you seen those Devil Ray Uniforms lately? Yechhhhh. The Mets uniforms? Bruuuuuuuuutal. the Toronto Black Jays ?? Trendyyyyyyyyyy
The Orioles Hats? Awwwwwfullll

Baby Fisk
09-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Have you seen those Devil Ray Uniforms lately? Yechhhhh. The Mets uniforms? Bruuuuuuuuutal. the Toronto Black Jays ?? Trendyyyyyyyyyy
The Orioles Hats? AwwwwwfullllDevil Rays - give em points for using deep green and black, which is at least unique and distinctive (and miles better than the previous Rainbow Rays)

Mets - (long sigh) *** have they done with their uniforms? They have 9 variations, and they STILL use their retro blue/orange caps and pinstripe unies in the regular rotation. That franchise is messed up.

Black Jays - pathetic. Last place is too good for them.

Orioles - lose the orange bills, they look like a bunch of Daffy Ducks out there. :rolleyes:

Brian26
09-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Actually, If anyone remembers correctly, the SOX had a contest to design the new uniform. Fans were asked to send in drawings ....... and 6 "finalists"
were picked.

There is a picture in Lindberg's White Sox Encyclopedia that shows the 6 finalist jerseys being worn on the field before a game at Old Comiskey. If I have time tonight, I'll try to scan a picture of it and post it.

silhouette
09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
There is a picture in Lindberg's White Sox Encyclopedia that shows the 6 finalist jerseys being worn on the field before a game at Old Comiskey. If I have time tonight, I'll try to scan a picture of it and post it.
Funny, after 14 years since the organization introduced the current uniform, it's STILL the best looking uniform in the league (both American and National).

Brian26
09-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Courtesy of the White Sox Encyclopedia:

Brian26
09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
That thumbnail still produces a small picture. I'll upload this to the WSI photo gallery too.

Baby Fisk
09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Courtesy of the White Sox Encyclopedia:Good god those are sick. No one but the Houston Astros to blame for that horrible split-top theme.

Brian: Which edition of the WSE do you have? I've got one but can't recall seeing that picture in it. (Maybe my brain has forced it from recollection). What page is that pic on in your edition?

Brian26
09-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Good god those are sick. No one but the Houston Astros to blame for that horrible split-top theme.

Brian: Which edition of the WSE do you have? I've got one but can't recall seeing that picture in it. (Maybe my brain has forced it from recollection). What page is that pic on in your edition?

I'm almost positive there has only been one edition of the book. The picture is towards the back....I'll have to check tonight after work to give you an exact page number.

Baby Fisk
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm almost positive there has only been one edition of the book. The picture is towards the back....I'll have to check tonight after work to give you an exact page number.Found the photo. It was in the chapter on White Sox Yarns. Ghastly, just ghastly. The publisher spared us all heightened agony by printing the photo in black and white. :cool: