PDA

View Full Version : A Message for Mr. Bud Selig...

markp8867
09-11-2004, 01:33 PM
This message is for Mr. Bud Selig.

Today is September 11th. We all know what this day means for all the people who lost loved ones and for America as well.

As we remember this day, Hurricane Ivan heads for Florida which has already been pounded by 2 major hurricanes causing several billion dollars worth of damage.

Because of Ivan, MLB moved the Expos-Marlins series to the home of the White Sox. MLB then announced that tickets will be $15 with $5 going to charity to help the hurricane victims. Not only that but Ticketmaster is also taking a cut of the tickets as well by charging a convenience fee.

Where is the other $10 going? It should all go to charity to help these people. This is America and on September 11th in America we should help those who need it most.

I am a White Sox fan and I was happy to hear about this series. But unlike Cubs fans, I have to work so I can't go to either of these games. However, I would definitely buy tickets if all the money was going to help our fellow citizens in their time of need. Please change this.

Thanks for your time.

dcb33
09-11-2004, 02:00 PM
This message is for Mr. Bud Selig.

Today is September 11th. We all know what this day means for all the people who lost loved ones and for America as well.

As we remember this day, Hurricane Ivan heads for Florida which has already been pounded by 2 major hurricanes causing several billion dollars worth of damage.

Because of Ivan, MLB moved the Expos-Marlins series to the home of the White Sox. MLB then announced that tickets will be $15 with $5 going to charity to help the hurricane victims. Not only that but Ticketmaster is also taking a cut of the tickets as well by charging a convenience fee.

Where is the other $10 going? It should all go to charity to help these people. This is America and on September 11th in America we should help those who need it most.

I am a White Sox fan and I was happy to hear about this series. But unlike Cubs fans, I have to work so I can't go to either of these games. However, I would definitely buy tickets if all the money was going to help our fellow citizens in their time of need. Please change this.

Thanks for your time.
So does that mean you expect the Sox to just pick up the tab to cover operating expenses in order for those games to be held? The Sox are already being pretty charitable by opening their doors and letting the Marlins play their series at the Cell...
If you don't want to pay the ticketmaster surcharge, then go to the Sox box office...

DumpJerry
09-11-2004, 04:56 PM
So does that mean you expect the Sox to just pick up the tab to cover operating expenses in order for those games to be held? The Sox are already being pretty charitable by opening their doors and letting the Marlins play their series at the Cell...
If you don't want to pay the ticketmaster surcharge, then go to the Sox box office...Actually, I don't think this will cost the Sox one penny. The State of Illinois (you and I) own Comiskey, the Sox don't own the place, they rent it from you and I. The ten bucks if probably to offset the operating costs.

More interesting point, this shows the true value of a seat at a major league baseball game. Think about that when the Sox charge $170.00 for the premium seats but maintain a middle market payroll. :angry:

Daver
09-11-2004, 05:19 PM

More interesting point, this shows the true value of a seat at a major league baseball game. Think about that when the Sox charge $170.00 for the premium seats but maintain a middle market payroll. :angry:
This has nothing to do with the value of a ticket to an MLB game, how in the world did you extropalate that from the fact that these tickets are being sold to barely, if even depending on the crowd, cover operating expenses?

The five dollar per going to charity is coming from MLB, not from the gate of the game, MLB will donate five bucks for every ticket sold from MLB funds (of which they have plenty).

The value of what a ticket is worth is determined by the market, nothing more and nothing less.

DumpJerry
09-11-2004, 05:28 PM
This has nothing to do with the value of a ticket to an MLB game, how in the world did you extropalate that from the fact that these tickets are being sold to barely, if even depending on the crowd, cover operating expenses?

The five dollar per going to charity is coming from MLB, not from the gate of the game, MLB will donate five bucks for every ticket sold from MLB funds (of which they have plenty).

The value of what a ticket is worth is determined by the market, nothing more and nothing less.You bring up a good point, Daver. I would love to see what the operating expenses are for the Sox. Is there a big difference hosting a crowd of 20,000 and 40,000? Same number of concession stands are in use, fewer vendors in the seats, but there is a relationship between seat vendor sales and expenses (i.e. the increase price to the Sox for beer vendors to roam the aisles rises with the increased revenues of more sales). There might be more security people at large games, I don't know. The utility costs (electric and water) are probably close regardless of crowd size (same number of lights, but more flushes of the toilets).
What I am getting at is if we knew what it REALLY costs to run the Sox, we might be more understanding of the middle market mentality the ownership has. If it is truly based on expenses, then we might be more sympathetic. If it is based on organization philosophy, then we need to run the management out of town. I don't think it is based on expenses. If it was, the Flubs would have similar constraints and they clearly do not.:angry:

Daver
09-11-2004, 05:39 PM
You bring up a good point, Daver. I would love to see what the operating expenses are for the Sox. Is there a big difference hosting a crowd of 20,000 and 40,000? Same number of concession stands are in use, fewer vendors in the seats, but there is a relationship between seat vendor sales and expenses (i.e. the increase price to the Sox for beer vendors to roam the aisles rises with the increased revenues of more sales). There might be more security people at large games, I don't know. The utility costs (electric and water) are probably close regardless of crowd size (same number of lights, but more flushes of the toilets).
What I am getting at is if we knew what it REALLY costs to run the Sox, we might be more understanding of the middle market mentality the ownership has. If it is truly based on expenses, then we might be more sympathetic. If it is based on organization philosophy, then we need to run the management out of town. I don't think it is based on expenses. If it was, the Flubs would have similar constraints and they clearly do not.:angry:
Search the archives of the articles on the main page, there have been several on this subject.