PDA

View Full Version : New Spring Training Home

mrzerofan
09-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Dallas Morning News says Sox are moving into Tempe Diablo Stadium and that the Anaheim Angels are building a new complex.:cool:

chisox117
09-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Did the article mention whether the move will occur in time for 05 spring training? Is there a link? I have not seen anything mentioned locally about a new stadium project or a White Sox relocation. I hope this happens though -- the Sox only played 10 spring games up here in the Phoenix area in 04 a move to Tempe would put the majority of their games within 30 minutes of my home. :smokin:

Some pros and cons:

CON: In virtually every category, Tempe Diablo is a dump compared to Tucson Electric Park.

PRO: The Sox wouldn't be 2nd class citizens in their own park as they have been while sharing TEP with the Diamondbacks.

PRO: Free parking opportunities around Diablo = more beer money!:gulp:

markp8867
09-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Dallas Morning News says Sox are moving into Tempe Diablo Stadium and that the Anaheim Angels are building a new complex.:cool:
Actually I found out about this at Soxfest earlier this year. Kenny Williams is building a house in Phoenix so it was obvious the Sox were going to move. The players also hated playing in Tucson as well even though the facilities at TEP are nice. This should help with the Sox getting free agents since I'm sure most players don't want to go to Tucson.

SEALgep
09-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Actually I found out about this at Soxfest earlier this year. Kenny Williams is building a house in Phoenix so it was obvious the Sox were going to move. The players also hated playing in Tucson as well even though the facilities at TEP are nice. This should help with the Sox getting free agents since I'm sure most players don't want to go to Tucson.I went to ASU, but I've been to Tucson for a game. This definitely good news.:bandance:

manuelsucks
09-11-2004, 03:44 PM
I was lucky enough to go down to Spring Traning this year and went to Tempe Diablo Stadium to see the Angels play the Flubbies. That was a really nice stadium. Everything there was neat and just all around good. On the other hand, their Tuscon facility was extremely ghetto. Really trashy, not as great as I'd like. But it was cool there because we got seats 2 rows behind home plate. If this news is in fact true, that is awesome. Diablo is really nice.

mrzerofan
09-13-2004, 07:03 AM
http://www.springtrainingmagazine.com/news46.html

"White Sox to Valley? As for Tempe, the Chicago White Sox have expressed interest in moving from Tucson, and Tempe Mayor Neil Giuliano said he's confident his city will find another team because of its central Valley location. Should the White Sox come north, the team would have to find a replacement for the Pima County Kino Sports Complex, according to the team's contract with the county. Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of the White Sox, said the team loves Tucson, but he would be interested in moving. "I have a home in Paradise Valley, and if someone came to me and showed me where we could be in the Valley, and it would make sense, I would look at it," Reinsdorf said."

Viva Magglio
09-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I would not like a move to Maricopa County at all. I much prefer Tucson to the Phoenix area because the Phoenix area is too congested like an overgrown suburb. Since I started going to spring training in 1999, I have developed deep ties to the Tucson area which will not be broken regardless of what the White Sox do. If they move, I'll just go and see them when they are playing the Diamondbacks at TEP. Of course, the White Sox are now a secondary activity for me in Tucson. When I'm down there, I'm more intersted in the Arizona Wildcats baseball team.

soxrme
09-13-2004, 03:57 PM
I have been going to spring training the last 5 years. I believe Diablo is a good stadium, with a lot of parking and good sightlines. It is way better than Tucson and Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix are all better areas. Good move, can't wait:bandance:

skobabe8
09-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Since I just moved to Scottsdale, I'm veeeerrrrry interested in this news!

soxwon
09-13-2004, 07:10 PM
im going to phoenix in march
i would like to stay close to Diablo stadium
what is the closest decent motel, is it walking distance to the park?
please suggest some places

mrzerofan
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Embassy Suites

Paradise Valley, Arizona

Within 10-15 minutes of diablo

(I actually played at diablo because of an ABC baseball camp..."

michned
09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
On the other hand, their Tuscon facility was extremely ghetto. Really trashy, not as great as I'd like. But it was cool there because we got seats 2 rows behind home plate. If this news is in fact true, that is awesome. Diablo is really nice.The facility in Tucson is top notch, IMHO. It is a great place to watch a game. I take my boys several times every summer to watch the AAA Sidewinders there. But the county government completely dropped the ball when it was built. That is why it is on county-owned land, right off the interstate, and the only "atmosphere" to speak of is the county hospital next door, and juvenile court across the street. If the city of Tucson hadn't dragged their feet, the park would have been built smack in the middle of downtown as part of a new development project called Rio Nuevo. That project is ongoing, and it is hoped that downtown Tucson will attract tourists like The Riverwalk does in San Antonio. It just would have been so much better with the baseball park there.

As for the players, most of what I hear is the players love it down here because it's not as congested as Phoenix and when they're not playing ball they're just usually golfing anyway. And even though, like you say, the park is in a blighted area, Tucson has its share of million dollar homes in the Foothills, and several established players for all three teams (Rockies, D'backs) own homes here.

A couple years back it was rumored that the Dodgers were considering building a complex in Marana (my adopted hometown), northwest of Tucson so it will be interesting to see who the Sox might get to replace them down here.

Ed

Wanne
09-14-2004, 12:01 PM
im going to phoenix in march
i would like to stay close to Diablo stadium
what is the closest decent motel, is it walking distance to the park?
please suggest some places

Here's probably the closest place if ya don't mind ponying up the dough.
Very nice though and a great restaurant there (Top of the Rock)!!!

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/PHXBU/main.wnt

I think I just posted something last week about the Sox moving. I'm not personally crazy about Diablo...but hey, once you're inside the park...who cares...and it's not bad to get to at all. My favorite place to go for Phx Spring Training- Peoria Sports Complex (cause I live 5 minutes away and it's very accessable with alot of stuff around it in the Arrowhead area). My LEAST favorite: probably a toss up between Mesa and Scottsdale. Scottsdale is ok...but I just don't like the drive over there...Mesa is an absolute JOKE to get in and out of not to mention the friggin drive for me...and the smell of Cub!

The new Surprise Stadium is nice (kind of a funky design)...but there's only one road to get out to it (Bell Road) and it's an absolute NIGHTMARE going down Bell on days of the game. Expect an hour wait just to go down Bell past the 101. But I'll give you guys the trick (shortcut)...take Dunlap west (turns into Olive at 43rd Ave) and go all the way west to Litchfield Road or Reeves and come up from the South...it'll save you an hour drive.

But for surrounding area restaurants, bars, shopping...Peoria and Scottsdale are probably best for that. Diablo's nice because it's basically inbetween everything.

SoxxoS
09-14-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm not too happy about it.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

LauraJ14
09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
I went to Spring Training in March and stayed at the Sheraton Tempe Airport hotel which is about 1 mile from Diablo stadium. I don't know if you can walk to the stadium but you are right off 1-10. Also close to ASU's campus so there are restaurants and bars close by. I didn't go to that stadium though, we drove down to Tucson to see the Sox play, went to Oakland's stadium in Phoenix and Surprise to see the Sox play KC.