PDA

View Full Version : The Mariners are 70 games over .500


cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2001, 12:26 AM
Now I don't feel quite so bad about the Sox being swept in last year's playoffs. Sheesh.

Remember how happy we were when the Sox got to just .500 this year?

GASHWOUND
10-06-2001, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Now I don't feel quite so bad about the Sox being swept in last year's playoffs. Sheesh.

Remember how happy we were when the Sox got to just .500 this year?

Hey, that WAS an acomplishment, I don't care what anybody says.

We could've been 70 games over if only..

[list=1]
If we were healthy
Didn't suck in April and May
Didn't get squashed by the twinkies all year.
Got the guy in from 3rd with less than 2 out in more often
Had more success in hitting with men in scoring position
If Manuel didn't insist on playing HarOLD and Rameriz earlier in the season.
If Clayton didn't hit below the Mendoza line earlier this year.
If Howry didn't suck so much
if we Had we had a few balls bounce our way
10.If we'd beat teams with above .500 records
11.If we didn't get cold feet in MUST WIN GAMES this year
12. If JM wasn't an idiot
[/list=1]

We too could've been 70 games over.
But I guess thats the way the ball bounces...

LongDistanceFan
10-06-2001, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Now I don't feel quite so bad about the Sox being swept in last year's playoffs. Sheesh.

Remember how happy we were when the Sox got to just .500 this year? and the mariners have a great minor league to go to for help........

for the sox to battle back, i am happy that they did. considering the injuries that this team had, i still think the sox could've made it to the playoff........ the sox did a great job. this is my opinion.

LongDistanceFan
10-06-2001, 02:02 AM
what is the record for the most wins? didn't the yankees get it a couple of yrs ago?

GASHWOUND
10-06-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what is the record for the most wins? didn't the yankees get it a couple of yrs ago?

NY got 114 wins in '98. Seattle I think is ties with them with 114 wins. They need 1 more win to break the AL record.
The Alltime record is held by the 1906 cubs I think with 116 wins. I'm pretty sure.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


NY got 114 wins in '98. Seattle I think is ties with them with 114 wins. They need 1 more win to break the AL record.
The Alltime record is held by the 1906 cubs I think with 116 wins. I'm pretty sure.

And who beat the Cubs in the World Series that year. You guessed it!

Check out 1906 here...

Sox History & Glory (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory.htm)

They're lovable losers even when they win 116 games. LMAO!

czalgosz
10-06-2001, 10:49 AM
That is correct sir, it is indeed the 1906 Cubs. But in this day and age you can win 88 games or 120 games, it's whether you make the playoffs. The Mariners get to face the Indians in round one, and they'll wipe the floor with them, but then they'll face the winner of the Oakland-New York series, and that'll be tough to win, no matter who comes out of that. Getting the record for most regular-season wins would be a pretty lame record if you don't go to the World Series.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
That is correct sir, it is indeed the 1906 Cubs. But in this day and age you can win 88 games or 120 games, it's whether you make the playoffs. The Mariners get to face the Indians in round one, and they'll wipe the floor with them, but then they'll face the winner of the Oakland-New York series, and that'll be tough to win, no matter who comes out of that. Getting the record for most regular-season wins would be a pretty lame record if you don't go to the World Series.


This is so true. That's why teams reaching the playoffs (even as a wild-card) should never be compared with also-rans who spend October on the first tee. Anyone comparing our '00 season to the Flubbies' third place fold job just doesn't get what playing baseball is all about.

A great regular season record ought to count for something. After playing a whopping 162 games, having the best record in your league ought to qualify you for the World Series. I would be in favor of a separate championship for playoff teams. Perhaps it could be a round robin competition played during the afternoons in October. MLB needs to make the regular season and the World Series meaningful again.

Stop trying to make MLB post season like the NFL's. MLB will never be the same as the NFL as long as we play 162 regular season games while they play just 16.

czalgosz
10-06-2001, 03:12 PM
I agree with you, PHG, but I have to admit that the wild-card has been good for baseball, attendance-wise. Teams are lasting in the pennant race for a longer time. I liked the old two-division format better, but here's what the AL standings would be under the old format -

AL East -

1. New York - 94-64
2. Cleveland - 90-70 - 5 GB
3. Boston - 81-79 - 14 GB
4. Toronto - 79-81 - 16 GB
5. Detroit - 65-94 - 29.5 GB
6. Baltimore - 63-97 - 32 GB
7. Tampa Bay - 61-99 - 34 GB

AL West -

1. Seattle - 115-45
2. Oakland - 100-60 - 15 GB
3. Chicago - 83-77 - 32 GB
4. Minnesota - 83-77 - 32 GB
5. Anaheim - 75-85 - 40 GB
6. Texas - 72-88 - 43 GB
7. Kansas City - 63-96 - 51.5 GB

Now this season is an anomaly, but it's obvious that aside from Cleveland, New York, and Seattle, every AL team would be playing in front of empty parks by the All-Star Break. The A's, instead of having 100 wins, would have traded Giambi right now and be looking to rebuild for next season. The season would be over by August (except for the AL East pennant race, and that would be between just two teams), and you bet fan interest would be very low.

Now, interleague play needs to go. It's definitely lost its charm for me, and based on the attendance of those games, I'm not alone in that sentiment.