PDA

View Full Version : #71 For Bonds

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 11:19 PM
Another missle.

voodoochile
10-05-2001, 11:21 PM
Awesome... simply amazing... Cudos and more to Barry...

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 11:23 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous. How do you shatter the walk record and break the HR record in the same year. His OPB and slugging percentage are insane.

GASHWOUND
10-05-2001, 11:27 PM
Just saw the HR. Mr. park gave it up, darn. I picked JB to give up BB 71st. Well, you win some..you lose some.

I wonder how the St. Louis faithful reacted to BB 71st when they showed it on the Big screen at Busch. Bitterness..perhaps. But I would think they were curtious and respectful. Their the best baseball fans in the world!! (wink wink) :)

voodoochile
10-05-2001, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It's absolutely ridiculous. How do you shatter the walk record and break the HR record in the same year. His OPB and slugging percentage are insane.

OPS 1.368+ (he is 1/1 tonight and it is the aforementioned 71st HR). That is flat incredible... This is a season that comes along once every 25+ years or less. Props to Barry. He is one amazing ball player...

Soxfan7070
10-05-2001, 11:32 PM
Good Job Barry Bonds!
Now let's see if he can hit some more to increase the record... :)

Pete_SSAC
10-06-2001, 12:10 AM
Make that 72

Chisox_cali
10-06-2001, 12:27 AM
I dont know bonds' 71st didnt give me the same goosebumps and or reaction when McGwire hit 62. Anyone else feel that way?

FarWestChicago
10-06-2001, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I dont know bonds' 71st didnt give me the same goosebumps and or reaction when McGwire hit 62. Anyone else feel that way? I am more impressed by what Bonds has done. Big Andro wasn't in a pennant race. He wasn't getting walked constantly. It was like his show. It was amazing at the time. But, this is another level.

PutItOnTheBoard
10-06-2001, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I am more impressed by what Bonds has done. Big Andro wasn't in a pennant race. He wasn't getting walked constantly. It was like his show. It was amazing at the time. But, this is another level.

I'm with you West. I'm not really a Bonds fan. I don't necessarily dislike him either. But there is no doubt he is having one of the best seasons EVER by any maor league player. And as you remarked, the walk total coupled with the power numbers is just ... amazing.

He is a total, complete player. McGwire is just a big goof.

Say what you will about Mike North, but I always got a kick out of his characterization of McGwire as "the Big White Ape". McGwire is a freakin' moron and all he ever cared about was setting that damn record. Three years later, Barry Bonds (a guy who had never hit over 50, let alone 70) says to himself, let me give this a shot. In my opinion that just gives the lie to all of the McGwire hype we were all force fed back in '98.

Anyway, good for Bonds. god bless him.

FarWestChicago
10-06-2001, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard

I'm with you West. I'm not really a Bonds fan. I don't necessarily dislike him either. But there is no doubt he is having one of the best seasons EVER by any maor league player. And as you remarked, the walk total coupled with the power numbers is just ... amazing.

He is a total, complete player. McGwire is just a big goof.

I'm no Bonds fan either. I constantly razz guys at work about his playoff performances. But we are seeing something historical. You have to appreciate it.