PDA

View Full Version : It aint over til we've been mathematically elimnated.

Gosox1917
09-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Okay, I know many of you are sick and tired of hearing young yuppies like me saying that there's still hope, well, you know what, there is. I've done some math and if the Twins go 7-16 the rest of the way and our Sox go 16-8 we tie for the division. You can change the numbers of W and L for both team's if you feel Twins:9-14 Sox 18-6, and we still tie for the division. If the Sox hold on to thier lead tonight thats one game already for us. It could happen folks and the twins have to play the skanks 3 games and the tribe 7. Why not believe?

nitetrain8601
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Not happening Newbie. The Twins will not go 7-16 or any variation of that. The Sox best hope is for that to happen because 16-8 seems great for them, so I doubt that happens.

pudge
09-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Why not believe?
Because we're not Cub fans, yuppie. :cool:

idseer
09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
perhaps if mark could pitch every game the sox could do that. and perhaps if the twins inexplicably went in the toilet that could happen.

and perhaps it will snow in jamaica this spring.

Johnny Mostil
09-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Lapping up the Kool-Aid . . . If the Sox go 6-0 against the Twinks, then, in the remaining 17, they would only have to be two games better than the Twinks to tie and three better to win outright.

But no, it ain't happenin' . . .

dcb33
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
This reminds me of last year when the Bears were 5-7 and everyone thought we'd win out and make the playoffs and the Vikings and Packers would tank... it didn't happen for the Bears last year, and it isn't gonna happen for the Sox this year... speaking of the Bears, it's football season! Let the '04 Sox go. It was nice while it lasted.

Rex Hudler
09-09-2004, 10:53 PM
It's over.......

MRKARNO
09-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Anyone who still has hope that the White Sox can pull this one out are just doing a disservice to themselves. They aren't going to do it. It would be entirely unprecedented and the chance of the Twins being that bad and the Sox being that good is so very low. There's a decent chance we could finish within 4, but winning the division is really out of the question.

Frankfan4life
09-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Okay, I know many of you are sick and tired of hearing young yuppies like me saying that there's still hope, well, you know what, there is. I've done some math and if the Twins go 7-16 the rest of the way and our Sox go 16-8 we tie for the division. You can change the numbers of W and L for both team's if you feel Twins:9-14 Sox 18-6, and we still tie for the division. If the Sox hold on to thier lead tonight thats one game already for us. It could happen folks and the twins have to play the skanks 3 games and the tribe 7. Why not believe? Gosox, please stop yourself. You're only prolonging your pain. Grieve now and get it over with or grieve later if you must. Either way you're gonna grieve. We're here to help you through the process. Goodness knows we've been through it enough times.

RedPinStripes
09-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Okay, I know many of you are sick and tired of hearing young yuppies like me saying that there's still hope, well, you know what, there is. I've done some math and if the Twins go 7-16 the rest of the way and our Sox go 16-8 we tie for the division. You can change the numbers of W and L for both team's if you feel Twins:9-14 Sox 18-6, and we still tie for the division. If the Sox hold on to thier lead tonight thats one game already for us. It could happen folks and the twins have to play the skanks 3 games and the tribe 7. Why not believe?
SHUT....................UP!

LauraJ14
09-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Well the Houston Astros just won 12 in a row and with only 2 of their starting pitchers ( Clemens and Oswalt) healthy so why can't the Sox? Crazy things happen in baseball.

fquaye149
09-09-2004, 11:48 PM
look, talk to me after we take all 6 against the twins. Then we can start talking about what needs to happen to make the playoffs

RedPinStripes
09-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Lose your 3 and 4 hitter and have 2 consitant starting pitchers and you "ain't" winning ****. Believe all you want. I've watched baseball for too long to believe something can happen with this team.

Gosox1917
09-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Should I be ashamed to be a Sox fan or what? I don't know if you all hate the Sox or love them. I guess I'm one of the few that roots for them to the end...don't get me wrong I want them to win more than anybody and I think that's obvious by my starting this thread...know wonder this team doesn't do anything because it's fans don't back the team up...I'll be ashamed if the Marlins-Expos play at The Cell and end up bringing more ppl than the upcoming Twins-Sox series...but it wouldn't surprise me.

kittle42
09-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Should I be ashamed to be a Sox fan or what? I don't know if you all hate the Sox or love them. I guess I'm one of the few that roots for them to the end...don't get me wrong I want them to win more than anybody and I think that's obvious by my starting this thread...know wonder this team doesn't do anything because it's fans don't back the team up...I'll be ashamed if the Marlins-Expos play at The Cell and end up bringing more ppl than the upcoming Twins-Sox series...but it wouldn't surprise me.
We want them to win every day. We just don't feel the need to set unrealistic pipedream goals.

doublem23
09-10-2004, 01:06 AM
*Ahem*

It's over.

BTW, Welcome to WSI. :bandance:

But your post does raise a thought-provoking question... Can one really be a yuppie, if they live in Valparaiso, Indiana? :tongue:

dcb33
09-10-2004, 01:11 AM
*Ahem*

It's over.

BTW, Welcome to WSI. :bandance:

But your post does raise a thought-provoking question... Can one really be a yuppie, if they are from Valparaiso? :tongue:That brings up another question- can one really be a yuppie when they are a student (according to his profile)? It thought a Yuppie was a Young Urban Professional, and by my count he's young, but he's not urban or a professional.:D: :gulp: :D:

silhouette
09-10-2004, 01:16 AM
With Santana winning his 10th straight, the Twins recently winning 5 straight and (with the exception of the last 3 games against the Yankmees) they have an easy schedule, it's over!!

But look at the bright side, the Astros and the Giants are ahead of the Flubs in the Wild Card race (for now).

pudge
09-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Well the Houston Astros just won 12 in a row and with only 2 of their starting pitchers ( Clemens and Oswalt) healthy so why can't the Sox? Crazy things happen in baseball.
Because the Astros actually have a lineup full of hitters.

white sox bill
09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Pass the weed over here!

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Because it's been "Ovah" for the past month and a half.You lose Frank,You lose Maggs,you can't find a # 5 starter (a problem over the last several years),the team can't win 9 in a row earlier than September.It all adds up to NO SOUTH SIDE BASEBALL IN OCTOBER AGAIN!! :angry: :angry:

soxtalker
09-10-2004, 08:38 AM
There's really no downside for you to feel this way. There is a downside for the management of the team to feel this way; it could keep them from playing and evaluating young players like Valdez.

jshanahanjr
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
The Sox need to take all 14 vs the Royals & Tigers. That would put them in the mix. Can they do it? Might as well. They have to play the games anyway.

Erik The Red
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
In no way do I have confidence in our chances of winning the division. That won't stop me from having hope until we're mathmatically eliminated, though. There's a difference between hoping they'll win and believing they'll win. If they do win it, I'll be happy as hell, but if they don't, I won't be surprised.

Gosox1917
09-10-2004, 12:45 PM
In no way do I have confidence in our chances of winning the division. That won't stop me from having hope until we're mathmatically eliminated, though. There's a difference between hoping they'll win and believing they'll win. If they do win it, I'll be happy as hell, but if they don't, I won't be surprised.
Even after the win last night I'm beginning to feel more and more like this as everybody keeps telling me it's over. I've read the message boards on here off and on for a year now and have finally become a member. You have all been successful in bringing a sox fan back down to earth. Thank you.

PorkChopExpress
09-10-2004, 12:46 PM
If they do win it, I'll be happy as hell, but if they don't, I won't be surprised.
And so goes the life of a White Sox fan. Beautiful.

LASOXFAN
09-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Amen. Realism and Cynicism are two very different things. Realism says the Sox have a chance, which is technically true.

Texas is in a nosedive and the Mariners are AWFUL. These last seven games have toyed with our hopes.

I made my piligirmage to Chicago for Labor day and caught the games against Seattle (no, I was not the jackhole who ran onto the field Friday night). I think the Sox are walking into a tough fight over the next 6 games which will probably leave them 10 or more back. The Twins will likely win 3 of 4 from Detroit (Radke and Santana pitch the last two games) and the Sox have played almost as bad in Anaheim as they have Oakland. But I'll be out there pulling for them (and cursing Valentin as I did for three days in Chicago) and watching the scoreboard. Come on, that's what makes a season so much fun. And we miss Radke in Santana next week!!:cool: