PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ivan might force Marlins vs Expos matchups to be played at The Cell

Nick@Nite
09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1878265

Interesting.

Jjav829
09-09-2004, 06:47 PM
That wouldn't be an awful scenario for them. The crowd would be extremely pro-Marlins (unlike the "home game" they play tomorrow). At least we'd have a winning team playing a home game at the Cell...

While we're at it, any way we can kidnap some of their players. Maybe tie up a Josh Beckett or Carl Pavano in the Cell clubhouse and only release him every 5 days. :D:

JGarlandrules20
09-09-2004, 07:02 PM
While we're at it, any way we can kidnap some of their players. Maybe tie up a Josh Beckett or Carl Pavano in the Cell clubhouse and only release him every 5 days. :D:Brilliant plan! And..we can also kidnap Miguel Cabrera.

He can play right instead of Timo/Borchard.

Irishsox1
09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I would love to go to one of the games. Seeing the Marlins vs. Expos on the southside would be surreal. I would root for the Marlins because they knocked out the Cubs last year.

nitetrain8601
09-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I know I would definately go. It would probably be a sellout LOL.

chisoxfan79
09-09-2004, 07:39 PM
How much would they charge for tickets? Would they use the fireworks?

Mohoney
09-09-2004, 08:06 PM
I would definitely go to a doubleheader if they played one.

HomeFish
09-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Awesome.

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Brilliant plan! And..we can also kidnap Miguel Cabrera.

Or we can put him in his natural postion of 3B.

HomeFish
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I wonder if they're going to try to leave Koch behind.

Hey, maybe some of Koch's Florida fans will make their triumphant return to WSI!

mdep524
09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
I wonder if they're going to try to leave Koch behind.

Hey, maybe some of Koch's Florida fans will make their triumphant return to WSI!
I cannot imagine anything more bizarre and amazing than Billy Koch jogging to the mound at the Cell from the home bullpen wearing a Marlins uniform. That would be a magical moment.

SomebodyToldMe
09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
I cannot imagine anything more bizarre and amazing than Billy Koch jogging to the mound at the Cell from the home bullpen wearing a Marlins uniform. That would be a magical moment.
[Homer voice]Cosmic[/Homer voice]

balke
09-09-2004, 08:58 PM
LMAO

Gosox1917
09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
I cannot imagine anything more bizarre and amazing than Billy Koch jogging to the mound at the Cell from the home bullpen wearing a Marlins uniform. That would be a magical moment.LOL I would definately try to get tix to see that...some things in life are priceless. LOL:rolling:

Kogs35
09-09-2004, 09:38 PM
gene honda "now pitching for the marlins number 88 Billy Koch"

Dick Allen
09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
If this scenario came to pass, the problem would be that a bunch of Flub fans would probably try to go, thus making it a pro-Expos crowd. We would need to somehow keep those weasels from getting in.

LuvSox
09-09-2004, 10:20 PM
gene honda "now pitching for the marlins number 88 Billy Koch"
I'd be happier if Biddle pitched in one of those games.

Viva Magglio
09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Someone on the MarlinsBaseball.com board suggested that proceeds for these games against Montral/San Juan at USCF, should they occue, be used for hurricane relief in Florida. I think that is a great idea. And if these games take place, we have to gobble up as many as we can so that the fans of the Evil Empire don't turn USCF into Olympic Stadium/Hiram Bithorn Stadium North.

And with the Marlins and Expos playing on the field, would the atomsphere still be like that of a White Sox game? Would Nancy Faust be there and would there be a Thunderstruck intro for the Marlins with Gene Honda saying "Marlins fans...OOOONNNN YOOOOOUUURRR FEEEEETTTTT!!!!...for your defending WORLD CHAMPION FLORIDA MARLINS!!!..."

bigfoot
09-09-2004, 10:54 PM
If this scenario came to pass, the problem would be that a bunch of Flub fans would probably try to go, thus making it a pro-Expos crowd. We would need to somehow keep those weasels from getting in.
Have 'em sign loyalty oaths. If anyone would state that their fav team is the flubbs, they could be considered "Enemies of the Sox" and incarcerated for an undetermined period of time at Jimbo's. But we all know, "it's a bad neighborhood"!

Kogs35
09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Someone on the MarlinsBaseball.com board suggested that proceeds for these games against Montral/San Juan at USCF, should they occue, be used for hurricane relief in Florida. I think that is a great idea. And if these games take place, we have to gobble up as many as we can so that the fans of the Evil Empire don't turn USCF into Olympic Stadium/Hiram Bithorn Stadium North.

And with the Marlins and Expos playing on the field, would the atomsphere still be like that of a White Sox game? Would Nancy Faust be there and would there be a Thunderstruck intro for the Marlins with Gene Honda saying "Marlins fans...OOOONNNN YOOOOOUUURRR FEEEEETTTTT!!!!...for your defending WORLD CHAMPION FLORIDA MARLINS!!!..."
mlb doesnt have the brains that the nfl has to actually come up with a plan for that. everything that comes from 1 of the doubleheader games tomorow should goto hurricain victims

Viva Magglio
09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
This is really dumb question, but because USCF is officially designated as an AL ballpark, would the Marlins and Expos have to use DH's?

I say probalby not. The pitchers would bat as usual.

Kogs35
09-09-2004, 11:07 PM
This is really dumb question, but because USCF is officially designated as an AL ballpark, would the Marlins and Expos have to use DH's?

I say probalby not. The pitchers would bat as usual.
no there will be no dh because when the yanks played at shea for that game the pitcher did not bat.

SaltyPretzel
09-09-2004, 11:19 PM
We would need to somehow keep those weasels from getting in.
Enforce public intoxication laws. :wink:

HebrewHammer
09-09-2004, 11:32 PM
I'd go to a DH between these two teams at the cell, hell I'd even buy a 'Spos jersey, I'd get a Termel Sledge jersey made, just so I can be Hebrew"Sledge"Hammer.

Viva Magglio
09-09-2004, 11:36 PM
I'd go to a DH between these two teams at the cell, hell I'd even buy a 'Spos jersey, I'd get a Termel Sledge jersey made, just so I can be Hebrew"Sledge"Hammer.
Why would you root for the 'Spos? The Marlins are our team should they come to USCF.

HebrewHammer
09-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Why would you root for the 'Spos? The Marlins are our team should they come to USCF.it was a joke really, I just wanted to be able to type Hebrew"Sledge"Hammer. I have to attend a company outing tommorrow, its the ScRubs/Fish DH, I bought a Marlins hat, I guess I actually will wear it more than once.

JB98
09-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Short of putting snipers on the USCF roof and giving them orders to shoot anyone wearing blue, I don't know what we could do. The North Side idiots have hijacked pretty much every NL park in the country this season, and there's no doubt they would hijack the Cell and cheer for the Expos.

In fact, I don't care to attend a Marlins-Expos series at the Cell because 1) I can't enjoy the game when I'm surrounded by Cub fans and 2) I only have so much money, and I rather spend it to attend a few more SOX games. I really don't like National League baseball all that much.

hold2dibber
09-10-2004, 06:47 AM
According to today's Trib (link below, for those who are registered), because of Hurricane Ivan, the Marlins may play their series against the Expos next Mon. - Wed. at U.S. Cellular Field. If that happens, I'd definitely like to get out there and root on the Fish.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040909marlinsuscellular,1,751208.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Brilliant plan! And..we can also kidnap Miguel Cabrera.

Don't forget Juan Pierre and Mike Lowell.:D: :D: :D: :D:

bc2k
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM
According to today's Trib (link below, for those who are registered), because of Hurricane Ivan, the Marlins may play their series against the Expos next Mon. - Wed. at U.S. Cellular Field. If that happens, I'd definitely like to get out there and root on the Fish.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040909marlinsuscellular,1,751208.story?coll=cs-home-headlines From that Trib article, Boyer knows: Sox fans will probably support [the Marlins] if they are competing with the Cubs for a wild-card spot. It would be nice to attend those games. A loud pro-Marlins crowd at Comiskey would be a nice way for Sox fans to show their appreciation to the Marlins and their fans for keeping the Cubs out of the World Series in the most comical, heartbreaking fashion possible.

SaltyPretzel
09-10-2004, 07:32 AM
From that Trib article, Boyer knows: It would be nice to attend those games. A loud pro-Marlins crowd at Comiskey would be a nice way for Sox fans to show their appreciation to the Marlins and their fans for keeping the Cubs out of the World Series in the most comical, heartbreaking fashion possible.
It's a bummer that Monday and Tuesday would be day games. :(:

bc2k
09-10-2004, 07:34 AM
It's a bummer that Monday and Tuesday would be day games. :(:
Speaking of that, would they be half-price games?

Jjav829
09-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Speaking of that, would they be half-price games?
Would they even charge for games? I'm not sure they'd sell many tickets if they charge. I would think they'd do something like free admission with a minimum $5 donation to the Red Cross Hurricane relief fund (or whatever it's called).

Jerko
09-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Interesting. Now we'll get to see who shows up. Cub fans, or Sox fans that don't really care about the Cubs. Sorry, I have better things to do than go to a Marlin/Expos game just because I don't like the Cubs. Too bad this much excitement isn't generated around here for let's say, SOX games at the Cell? And if you think it's going to actually be a pro-Marlin crowd, don't be surprised if you feel like you're at Wrigley Field minus the piss smell. Heck, this could be the EXPOS' biggest "home" crowd of the year.

hold2dibber
09-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Interesting. Now we'll get to see who shows up. Cub fans, or Sox fans that don't really care about the Cubs. Sorry, I have better things to do than go to a Marlin/Expos game just because I don't like the Cubs. Too bad this much excitement isn't generated around here for let's say, SOX games at the Cell? And if you think it's going to actually be a pro-Marlin crowd, don't be surprised if you feel like you're at Wrigley Field minus the piss smell. Heck, this could be the EXPOS' biggest "home" crowd of the year.
I think Sox fans would show up more because of the oddity of seeing two NL teams playing in the Sox home park. The fact that the games in question impact the Cubs is merely gravy.

Milw
09-10-2004, 08:46 AM
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/fla/news/fla_news.jsp?ymd=20040909&content_id=852886&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp
From the Marlins site:

Pitcher Dontrelle Willis, Saturday's starter at Wrigley Field, was at U.S. Cellular Park last year for the 2003 All-Star Game.
"I like the park," said Willis, who didn't pitch in that game. "I guess you've got to do something."
You guys realize this is a FIVE game series? M-Th with a doubleheader mixed in. Wow.

thepaulbowski
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
What?!?! I think it would unique to see a game like this. This would be a Marlins home game. I'm not sure I would call some people talking about it on a message board "excitement."

owensmouth
09-10-2004, 09:58 AM

I'd rather see the money spent on the improvement of the White Sox farm system. Besides, how much money do you think will be earned by a Marlins/Expos game played at US Cellular Field?

Jerko
09-10-2004, 10:19 AM
What?!?! I think it would unique to see a game like this. This would be a Marlins home game. I'm not sure I would call some people talking about it on a message board "excitement."
Well, I just heard about it this morning and there were 3 pages about it here already at like 8 o'clock. For WSI standards, that's excitement. And yes, it would be unique to see a game like this, but the only 30 people who think so are probably logged on here right now. The rest of the crowd will be the lemmings from up north. So, the Marlins may in fact bat last, but they'll still have the crowd against them IMO. Especially if they're day games. I was at the game on the 30th vs. Phillies (unscheduled Monday day game) and there were like 5000 people there WITH the Sox playing. I just don't think you're gonna see many Sox fans at these games; you'll have the Cub "fans", you'll have a bunch of fans who care more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning, and then there will be a scattering of fans who would go to the game just because it's unique or interesting. Just my opinion, of course. Well, we'll see what happens!

kittle42
09-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I can't make it that evening. I have tickets to the Pirates victory versus the Cubs.

CHISOXFAN13
09-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I'd rather see the money spent on the improvement of the White Sox farm system. Besides, how much money do you think will be earned by a Marlins/Expos game played at US Cellular Field?

Billions of dollars of damage in Florida already and you'd rather keep the money for our farm system???

Man, it's time for a reality check.

I will also make sure to show my appreciation to the Expos who were kind enough to take two of three at Wrigley. Hard to cheer against either team in this series.

SSN721
09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
I dont think going to see this game is just going to root against the Cubs. I hate that argument, I will go to about 30 Sox games by the end of the year, if I want to see a game because it is so unusual it doesnt make me any less of a Sox fan. The fact that it does impact the Cubs is icing on the cake but I would like to see this game even if it didnt have an impact on the Cubs. How often does something this odd happen in the history of baseball?

SaltyPretzel
09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
How often does something this odd happen in the history of baseball?
I can't think of anytime except when the Cubs played at Comiskey to lose the World Series to Boston in 1918.

bigfoot
09-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I can't think of anytime except when the Cubs played at Comiskey to lose the World Series to Boston in 1918.The Cobz losing isn't THAT unusual.

thepaulbowski
09-10-2004, 11:39 AM
I think the homeless people in people in Florida need the money more than ANY Major League ballclub.

Jerko
09-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I dont think going to see this game is just going to root against the Cubs. I hate that argument, I will go to about 30 Sox games by the end of the year, if I want to see a game because it is so unusual it doesnt make me any less of a Sox fan. The fact that it does impact the Cubs is icing on the cake but I would like to see this game even if it didnt have an impact on the Cubs. How often does something this odd happen in the history of baseball?
Well, you may hate that "not rooting against the Cubs" argument, but if you read the first few pages of this thread, that's exactly the reason people are saying they would go. Fine, that's their choice. I never said anyone was less of a Sox fan if they wanted to go see these games because it's an unusual or odd situation. I AM disappointed that a Sox/Phillie game at the Cell is going to be outdrawn by thousands for a Marlin/Expo game at the Cell. So, don't be surprised if you're one of the few true Sox fans there and are outnumberd by Cub and "Anti-Marlin" fans. I wish I could have them take a survey at the gates for those days and actually ask people "are you here because this is an odd situation or are you here to root against the Marlins?" I could almost guarantee the latter choice would win. So, if people want to go see an odd situation, fine, just brace yourself for what you're going to be surrounded by that day/those days.

thepaulbowski
09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Well, you may hate that "not rooting against the Cubs" argument, but if you read the first few pages of this thread, that's exactly the reason people are saying they would go. Fine, that's their choice. I never said anyone was less of a Sox fan if they wanted to go see these games because it's an unusual or odd situation. I AM disappointed that a Sox/Phillie game at the Cell is going to be outdrawn by thousands for a Marlin/Expo game at the Cell. So, don't be surprised if you're one of the few true Sox fans there and are outnumberd by Cub and "Anti-Marlin" fans. I wish I could have them take a survey at the gates for those days and actually ask people "are you here because this is an odd situation or are you here to root against the Marlins?" I could almost guarantee the latter choice would win. So, if people want to go see an odd situation, fine, just brace yourself for what you're going to be surrounded by that day/those days.
Why don't we wait & see what happens before we say how many people are there and/or what type of people are there. If they use it as a situation to raise money for the Red Cross and/or a hurricane relief fund, then I hope the place is filled.

Jerko
09-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Why don't we wait & see what happens before we say how many people are there and/or what type of people are there. If they use it as a situation to raise money for the Red Cross and/or a hurricane relief fund, then I hope the place is filled.
Obvously what happens in Florida this next few days is more important than this discussion. Hopefully MLB and the teams involved will do the right thing.

inta
09-10-2004, 03:44 PM
i'm definitely going to go to one of these games.

not often there's a world champion baseball team playing as the home team on the southside of chicago.

npdempse
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Just got my message from the Sox. $15 GA and $10 parking, five bucks from each ticket goes to hurricane relief. Sent this to my ticket rep:

No offense, but to Chairman Reinsdorf, please convey this message:
"Who you crappin'?!"

I know you have to recoup some operating expenses, but give me a break, ten bucks a pop?

When NFL had to relocate Monday Night Football last year from SD to Phoenix, the tickets were FREE. That's FOOTBALL. At NIGHT, when people aren't working.

inta
09-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Just got my message from the Sox. $15 GA and $10 parking, five bucks from each ticket goes to hurricane relief. Sent this to my ticket rep:

then don't go!
it's not the sox. nobody is making you see this game.

lol@ people who whine that not everything is free.

npdempse
09-10-2004, 08:55 PM
then don't go!
it's not the sox. nobody is making you see this game.

lol@ people who whine that not everything is free.
This is not about me going to see a baseball game. It's about them trying to squeeze some extra money out of the public at the expense of attendance. Make the game free, or next to it, have MLB or the Marlins pick up some expenses--if they're not insured for a natural disaster, they're stupider than I thought. With 500 people at the park, we'll get to hear all the Mariottis and Bermans of the world go on about how lousy a baseball town Chicago is that they won't go see a game that will influence the playoff picture. I hope there's a decent turnout and I'm proven wrong, but I doubt it.

soxwon
09-11-2004, 02:12 PM
will ikt be broadcast on local tv or radio?

HomeFish
09-11-2004, 02:18 PM
People shouting about $15 tickets being excessive. Is this what we have come to?

$15 to both help hurricane victims and see a twice-in-a-lifetime event (oh, and to see a game of professional baseball to boot. you know, us fans are into that game occasionally) is more than worth it to me -- in fact, I think it is an absolute steal.