PDA

View Full Version : Front Row tickets TONIGHT (9/9)

Frater Perdurabo
09-09-2004, 10:13 AM
One of my colleagues (who also works for The Dallas Morning News) yesterday gave me three tickets to tonights Rangers-Sox game at Ameriquest Field. They are in the so-called "Commissioner's Box" section, Row 1, Seats 1-3. It's my understanding that when George W. Bush owned the Rangers, this is where he sat. I've never, ever sat this close to the field at any stadium (other than Little League). If there is any "down side," it is my understanding they will be near the home (Rangers) dugout.

Nevertheless, as we say in Texas, "Lord Willing and the creek don't rise," I hope to be sitting there with another co-worker and a former co-worker's 4th grade son. Of course, I'll be surrounded by Rangers red, white and blue, but I'll be wearing my replica home (pinstripes) Sox jersey and black shorts.

Hangar always laments the lack of coverage of Sox fans at away games on the TV broadcasts. I understand the game will be broadcast in Chicago on FSN. Since this is major foul ball territory, I'll also try to bring some sort of WSI-inspired or Sox-themed "propaganda." So, does anyone have any ideas for getting "noticed" by the Sox TV producers? (I'm not going to do anything illegal, immoral or stupid; and I don't and won't drink beer.) I was thinking of flying a white tube sock. You have until 2:30 p.m. today (Thursday) to give me ideas.

:bandance:

Another idea I had was to make a small sign that says:

White Sox and Rangers
2 Teams That Got it Right About Sosa

:supernana:

bigfoot
09-09-2004, 10:35 AM
FP~Illegal...face time on TV isn't worth jail time; Immoral....I don't know all the strange local laws in Texas; Stupid.....that omits the obvious,wearing a Flub hat. I suppose one of the Rainbow afros that drew so much attention at one time comes under the "stupid" heading.

Aren't your seats in a sightline of the dugout camera anyway? And if FSN gets its feed from the local Dallas FSN affiliate, good luck on getting a sign on TV.
~Maybe a sign, "Fair & Balanced, White Sox" ?
~Logic? ESPN always shows signs with a psuedo-promo, i.e. : "SportsCenter: Next!"

Have a great time!

Frater Perdurabo
09-09-2004, 10:45 AM
FP~Illegal...face time on TV isn't worth jail time; Immoral....I don't know all the strange local laws in Texas; Stupid.....that omits the obvious,wearing a Flub hat. I suppose one of the Rainbow afros that drew so much attention at one time comes under the "stupid" heading.

Aren't your seats in a sightline of the dugout camera anyway? And if FSN gets its feed from the local Dallas FSN affiliate, good luck on getting a sign on TV.
~Maybe a sign, "Fair & Balanced, White Sox" ?
~Logic? ESPN always shows signs with a psuedo-promo, i.e. : "SportsCenter: Next!"

Have a great time!

The game is on FSN-Southwest locally. Maybe I also need to have a sign that says "Web Gem." Maybe I can refer to "Boston" Gammons.

"Hey "Boston" Gammons:
Change your Sox."

Great ideas, bigfoot. :bandance:

gosox63
09-09-2004, 10:50 AM
One of my colleagues (who also works for The Dallas Morning News) yesterday gave me three tickets to tonights Rangers-Sox game at Ameriquest Field. They are in the so-called "Commissioner's Box" section, Row 1, Seats 1-3. It's my understanding that when George W. Bush owned the Rangers, this is where he sat. I've never, ever sat this close to the field at any stadium (other than Little League). If there is any "down side," it is my understanding they will be near the home (Rangers) dugout.

Nevertheless, as we say in Texas, "Lord Willing and the creek don't rise," I hope to be sitting there with another co-worker and a former co-worker's 4th grade son. Of course, I'll be surrounded by Rangers red, white and blue, but I'll be wearing my replica home (pinstripes) Sox jersey and black shorts.

Hangar always laments the lack of coverage of Sox fans at away games on the TV broadcasts. I understand the game will be broadcast in Chicago on FSN. Since this is major foul ball territory, I'll also try to bring some sort of WSI-inspired or Sox-themed "propaganda." So, does anyone have any ideas for getting "noticed" by the Sox TV producers? (I'm not going to do anything illegal, immoral or stupid; and I don't and won't drink beer.) I was thinking of flying a white tube sock. You have until 2:30 p.m. today (Thursday) to give me ideas.

:bandance:

Another idea I had was to make a small sign that says:

White Sox and Rangers
2 Teams That Got it Right About Sosa

:supernana:

Got what right? He will be in the hall of fame. Don't get me wrong, I loathe him but I won't disregard what the monger has accomplished.

Thats like the Pirates holding up signs that say.....Barry Bonds sucks, we're happy we let him go!

Tekijawa
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Probably another "Dual Feed" tonight... They won't put anything remotely close to relating to the White Sox on... Just like last night when they had "random Texas Reliever shot" and Hawk said that the Texas Broad Cast must be talking about the Bullpen...

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I was there. They literally were the "best seats in the house." George W. Bush did sit there when he owned the team. I brought a former student's son with me; we had a great time. He's nine years old and interested in cars and tornadoes, but now that he has a souvenir (courtesy of Alfonso Soriano, as the Rangers were running of the field after the Sox were done in the top of the 9th) I think he'll be a baseball fan.

The best part was the fact that the Sox FINALLY won with me in attendance this year. Good to see a complete game three-hitter by Mark Buehrle. Barring injury, early retirement or getting stranded on a team that offers no run support, he could be a 300-game winner. He's a left-handed Greg Maddux. For crying out loud, he's only 25! The Sox need to lock him up long term, NOW.

Our vantage point allowed us to see Uribe's defensive prowess and rifle arm (never mind the error). I predict he's the starting SS in 2005. Paulie's shot was an absolute bomb and it was encouraging to see Crede go yard. However, Rangers fans with eyes for baseball detail who sat near me noticed his long swing. They agreed Crede was swinging for the 5-run homer during every at bat. If Harris is the starting SS in 2005, he needs to bat ninth. Typically Valentin has good games in Texas, but he looked lost last night. He could sign with Texas next year if Soriano is traded (there are concerns about Soriano's defensive lapses and declining numbers), allowing Michael Young to move back to 2B. If so, Valentin could set career-high HR numbers as the short RF wall is perfect for him. He would be a good addition for the Rangers and addition by subtraction for the Sox.

It's also encouraging the Sox beat a young pitcher who they saw for the first time (could they finally be breaking that mental block?). Rangers fans were abuzz about Chris Young (a Dallas-area native) and impressed that Sox bats hit him pretty hard. They were also impressed by Buehrle's consistent ability to hold the Rangers' offense to infrequent runs. They literally would kill for a young ace like Buehrle to add to the aging but effective Kenny Rogers and young phenom Ryan Drese.

I'm actually encouraged (yes, I know, small sample size :rolleyes: ), but subtract Valentin and add Frank at DH in 2005, and the lineup looks decent, particularly if Konerko, Lee and Rowand can replicate their 2004 numbers. The key, as many others have said, is if the Sox augment the starting rotation and move Garland to #5 or #6.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

bigfoot
09-10-2004, 12:36 PM
FraterP~What did your sign say?

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I had a few signs:

"M.B. = A.L. CY"

"Sox & Rangers
Both Got it Right about Sosa;
Outlaw Steriods & Cork"

One with a big Sox logo

"Totally Biased
www.flyingsock.com"

"Boston Gammons:
Change your Sox"

"Web Gem"

Each sign got a few minutes of exposure here and there, but honestly we had to keep our eyes on the ball at ALL times because we were in very dangerous foul ball missile territory. One foul ball bounced off a rail above the Rangers dugout, then hit another rail and bounced into the stands several sections away. If not for the second rail, I would have been nailed in the face. We literally were mere feet from first base. We clearly could see the images on the Reuter's photographer's digital camera in the photo pit, could read the model numbers on his lenses and could make out the fine print on his press badge. I was the one who chanted "Jose Jose Jose Jose, Jose...Jose" when Valentin came to bat. Rafael Santana heard me loud and clear.

thecell
09-10-2004, 01:41 PM
I had a few signs:

"Totally Biased
www.flyingsock.com"

Damn, I forgot to look for you. Oh well, nice to see you representing! :gulp: