PDA

View Full Version : Foulke gets the cheapest save ever!

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 12:08 AM
After Terry Adams, a great acquisition by Theo, loaded the bases in the ninth, he walked the next batter to make the score 8-3. Foulke comes in with two outs and gets Billy McMillion to line out to LF.

This is one example that IMO, makes the save an overrated stat.
He had to get one out with a 5 run lead. What, did they think he would be facing Denny Hocking, or that he might give up six consecutive singles?

Ridiculous.

Erik The Red
09-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Are you sure? Does that even qualify as a save?

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Are you sure? Does that even qualify as a save?
He came in with the tying run on deck.

JB98
09-09-2004, 01:00 AM
It was a cheap save, but Foulke is on my fantasy team so....

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :) :)

Tekijawa
09-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Kelly Wunsch got a win with one pitch... Now that's cheap!

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Kelly Wunsch got a win with one pitch... Now that's cheap!
Last year someone on Baltimore got the win with NO pitches. He came into the 8th with two outs, and picked the guy off first. Then the O's took the lead the next half of the inning, and then they brought in their closer for the ninth.

Mariano Rivera had a 2 pitch inning against the Cards last year too. The first batter popped the first pitch up, the next guy was hit by a pitch, then the next batter GIDP to end the inning.

Jayson Stark keeps track of all these strange events.

TDog
09-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Last year someone on Baltimore got the win with NO pitches. He came into the 8th with two outs, and picked the guy off first. Then the O's took the lead the next half of the inning, and then they brought in their closer for the ninth.
Dean Stone won an All-Star Game without throwing a pitch, picking off a runner to end an inning. As for Kelly Wunsch winning a game with just one pitch, I was at that game. He induced a DP to get out of a jam. He did his job efficiently.

MisterB
09-10-2004, 10:57 AM
B.J. Ryan, May 1st at Detroit (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230501206). He actually got the last out of the 7th, the O's scored 3 in the top of the 8th, Buddy Groom and Jorge Julio finished it off. This is why pitcher's W-L records can be deceptive. A starting pitcher has to go 5 innings to get a win, while a reliever just has to record an out to get credited with one.

santo=dorf
09-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Dean Stone won an All-Star Game without throwing a pitch, picking off a runner to end an inning. As for Kelly Wunsch winning a game with just one pitch, I was at that game. He induced a DP to get out of a jam. He did his job efficiently.
I'm guessing he still wasn't available to pitch for the next 3 days. :)