PDA

View Full Version : Adkins...

Tragg
09-08-2004, 11:10 PM
You guys who get to see the Sox play regularly, what's your take on this pitcher? I notice he's had a lot of scoreless outings recently and his ERA is below 4.
Is it legit or just relief pitcher mirage (come in, give up 2 hits so the predecessor's runs score, but get a couple of outs and none of your runs score).

Is he a hard thrower?

Thanks

Brian26
09-08-2004, 11:12 PM
He's been pitching his ass off ever since the series at Fenway when he manhandled Ortiz and Manny. He tends to lose concentration and give up gopher balls now and then, but he's looked spectacular lately.

And yes- he is a hard thrower.

JB98
09-08-2004, 11:19 PM
You guys who get to see the Sox play regularly, what's your take on this pitcher? I notice he's had a lot of scoreless outings recently and his ERA is below 4.
Is it legit or just relief pitcher mirage (come in, give up 2 hits so the predecessor's runs score, but get a couple of outs and none of your runs score).

Is he a hard thrower?

Thanks

Fastball 92-94, pretty good slider. Needs to improve his control and stay out of the middle of the plate. He's given up too many HRs this year.

santo=dorf
09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
He's been pitching his ass off ever since the series at Fenway when he manhandled Ortiz and Manny. He tends to lose concentration and give up gopher balls now and then, but he's looked spectacular lately.

And yes- he is a hard thrower.
Actually, he made one bad pitch to Ortiz and he killed it. But I am on the "Adkins Diet!" Would anyone else like to join?

Soxzilla
09-08-2004, 11:45 PM
He's susceptible to the long ball, but you usually keeps guys off the basepaths so most of his gopher balls are solo shots.

He's good for what he is, a mop up starter. I wouldn't want him up there in any 3 run game in the late innings. Hell he almost imploded against seattle or someone else recently, and shingo had to come in and gives us a scare...

Win1ForMe
09-08-2004, 11:51 PM
He's been pitching his ass off ever since the series at Fenway when he manhandled Ortiz and Manny.
If manhandling David Ortiz includes "allowing a game winning homer in the 8th inning," then you would certainly be correct.

balke
09-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Hell he almost imploded against seattle or someone else recently, and shingo had to come in and gives us a scare...
Someone else. He was lights out v. Seattle in first game. Gave up 3 hits in 1.2 innings in finale, 0ER. He's had 2-3 great looking outings in a row. Doesn't make him a closer or anything, he's just looking good out there right now. Way early in the season he was looking good for a while, then went down hill.

Our bullpen has looked great lately, I think Munoz or canyonaro or Diaz out of the bullpen makes this crew a lot prettier than they are with Jackson and Politte. Just wait til Person is back!

Side note, Cotts has an Era below 3 the past 2 months, and is 3.50 something since the all-star break. Bullpen deserves a lot of credit for the past few wins (as scary as they make it look, they get er done).

Soxzilla
09-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Someone else. He was lights out v. Seattle in first game. Gave up 3 hits in 1.2 innings in finale, 0ER. He's had 2-3 great looking outings in a row. Doesn't make him a closer or anything, he's just looking good out there right now. Way early in the season he was looking good for a while, then went down hill.

Our bullpen has looked great lately, I think Munoz or canyonaro or Diaz out of the bullpen makes this crew a lot prettier than they are with Jackson and Politte. Just wait til Person is back!

Side note, Cotts has an Era below 3 the past 2 months, and is 3.50 something since the all-star break. Bullpen deserves a lot of credit for the past few wins (as scary as they make it look, they get er done).
It was that game a few weeks back against cleveland. He gave up a couple solo jobs or something when we were up 5-3, and then shingo had to get lawton out with 2 on and 2 out.

stl_sox_fan
09-09-2004, 10:28 AM
He's off to a much better start in September than in August(6 homers in 11 appearances). Hopefully he has righted himself. Until Cotts and Marte get a little more stable, he seems to be our middle relief.

npdempse
09-09-2004, 11:06 AM
But I am on the "Adkins Diet!" Would anyone else like to join?
One of the most amusing moments I've had at the park this year was when somebody shouted to the pen "Jon, I love your diet!" and Adkins couldn't help but crack up.

Gosox1917
09-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Jon Adkins could be a fifth starter if KW can't find anyone else in the FA market...and God knows he probably won't...I think they should give him a shot at the fifth starter role at least in Spring Training next year and see what happens.

Clembasbal
09-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Jon Adkins could be a fifth starter if KW can't find anyone else in the FA market...and God knows he probably won't...I think they should give him a shot at the fifth starter role at least in Spring Training next year and see what happens.
Last night he hit 95 mph, and he has been in games more because Politte is hurt and Jackson is gone. He is solid, but I think he throws too hard to go past two innings.

He was a solid starter in the minors, from what I heard and from looking at his stats, but I can almost guarantee that he Never threw harder than 92 mph in his starts - so he could last longer.

And throwing 92 mph is not good for a starter, especially since he leaves the ball over the plate too much.