PDA

View Full Version : Cubs no longer leading wild card race

WSox8404
09-08-2004, 10:30 PM
HaHa. I wonder if all the bandwagoners will be there next year after this year's choke is completed.

Erik The Red
09-08-2004, 10:31 PM
HELL YEAH!!!:bandance:

DumpJerry
09-08-2004, 10:38 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Viva Magglio
09-08-2004, 10:39 PM
After Pee Pee got doubled up (again), Steve Stone said "There's a dandy of a baserunning play." Ouch.

HomeFish
09-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Ahem. They are down by half a game with almost a month left to go. We're not out of the clear yet, folks.

The Accursed Ones are still a dangerous team that has the capability to win the Wild Card and go far into the playoffs. If we laugh now, we may laugh last -- let's keep the celebration to a minimum until they are soundly eliminated.

DumpJerry
09-08-2004, 10:42 PM
I also want to say:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

DumpJerry
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
:moron
"Huh? How'd that happen???? We're supposed to be in the World Series, this might make that hard to happen. I just don't understand. Time to cry in my Chardonet and dance one more round to the 'YMCA'."

havelj
09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
What a game by the lefty!

Flight #24
09-08-2004, 11:01 PM
After Pee Pee got doubled up (again), Steve Stone said "There's a dandy of a baserunning play." Ouch.
There - you see the type of adversity that team has to face!

JB98
09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Ahem. They are down by half a game with almost a month left to go. We're not out of the clear yet, folks.

The Accursed Ones are still a dangerous team that has the capability to win the Wild Card and go far into the playoffs. If we laugh now, we may laugh last -- let's keep the celebration to a minimum until they are soundly eliminated.

Amen, HomeFish. I don't always agree with your posts, but you are right on the mark this time.

Remember, the game of baseball always humbles those that get arrogant. Cub fans got all arrogant and declared themselves World Series champions before the season ever started. Result: The Baseball Gods frowned upon them, and now they are struggling just to make the playoffs. If we get all arrogant about the Cubs losing to the Expos, The Baseball Gods may frown upon us and allow the Cubs to win.

Let's be humble until we are certain of the results.

DumpJerry
09-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Amen, HomeFish. I don't always agree with your posts, but you are right on the mark this time.

Remember, the game of baseball always humbles those that get arrogant. Cub fans got all arrogant and declared themselves World Series champions before the season ever started. Result: The Baseball Gods frowned upon them, and now they are struggling just to make the playoffs. If we get all arrogant about the Cubs losing to the Expos, The Baseball Gods may frown upon us and allow the Cubs to win.

Let's be humble until we are certain of the results.Puhleassssssse! How can you piss off the baseball gods by dissing the Flubs? We're just doing the dirty work of the baseball gods. After Glorious Game 7 last October, I told my Sox fan friends that games 6&7 were proof that God is a Sox fan. She just tried out a new way to torment Flub fans. Since before the start of this season the Flubs were waiting for the green light to print WS tickets, the baseball gods did not have to wait as long as they did last year.:D:

Flight #24
09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Puhleassssssse! How can you piss off the baseball gods by dissing the Flubs? We're just doing the dirty work of the baseball gods. After Glorious Game 7 last October, I told my Sox fan friends that games 6&7 were proof that God is a Sox fan. She just tried out a new way to torment Flub fans. Since before the start of this season the Flubs were waiting for the green light to print WS tickets, the baseball gods did not have to wait as long as they did last year.:D:
They may not be Cub fans, but there is no way the baseball gods are Sox fans. This season's 2 relatively freak injuries are proof. Not enough? Try 2001 and Wells/Thomas. Not enough? Try 1994.

munchman33
09-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Let's be humble until we are certain of the results.
One word fellas: REELING. That's what the Flubs are doing. They've been treading water at best, while Houston and Florida have been absolutely tearing it up. Now they've caught them, and have all the momentum. If the Flubs turn it around, I'd be shocked. My money's on Houston, for this reason:

# of games left with other wild card contenders:

Houston 3
Flubs 6
Florida 6
San Fransisco 9
San Diego 6

Flight #24
09-08-2004, 11:25 PM
One word fellas: REELING. That's what the Flubs are doing. They've been treading water at best, while Houston and Florida have been absolutely tearing it up. Now they've caught them, and have all the momentum. If the Flubs turn it around, I'd be shocked. My money's on Houston, for this reason:

Houston 3
Flubs 6
Florida 6
San Fransisco 9
San Diego 6
And the Giants take a 5-3 lead in the 8th, potentially dropping the Chubsters to 3d in the WC, only 1 up on surging Florida

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2004, 11:29 PM

Houston 3
Flubs 6
Florida 6
San Fransisco 9
San Diego 6
I'm still a bit worried about Houston's six remaining games with the Cardinals. Hopefully the Cards will start resting some players in small increments for the benefit of everyone.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
And the Giants take a 5-3 lead in the 8th, potentially dropping the Chubsters to 3d in the WC, only 1 up on surging Florida
yes!!!!! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

GO FISH!

Viva Magglio
09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm still a bit worried about Houston's six remaining games with the Cardinals. Hopefully the Cards will start resting some players in small increments for the benefit of everyone.
TLR hates Dustiny so much, he may have guys like Pujols and Rolen riding the pines just to produce that effect.

MUsoxfan
09-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Congratulations to the Cubs on becoming the most overrated and underachieving team in the history of baseball. From what was supposed to be a season that was supposed to be a gimme for the Cubs, it's gone quite the opposite way. We've heard all the excuses: "When Wood and Prior come back, then we'll be unbeatable." "When Sammy and Ramirez get back we'll be unstoppable." "Now that we have 'Nomah' we're guaranteed to win the World Series."

All this plus all the extra excuses of umpires being against them, the wind at Wrigley making it impossible to win games, Chip and Steve saying good things about other players and being honest about their own. Not to mention all the rest of the media being against them. (I always thought it was exactly the opposite.)

Not only is this the most overrated and disappointed team in the history of baseball, they are also by far the whiniest.

To quote the MLB ad campaign, "I live for this!"

JB98
09-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Puhleassssssse! How can you piss off the baseball gods by dissing the Flubs? We're just doing the dirty work of the baseball gods. After Glorious Game 7 last October, I told my Sox fan friends that games 6&7 were proof that God is a Sox fan. She just tried out a new way to torment Flub fans. Since before the start of this season the Flubs were waiting for the green light to print WS tickets, the baseball gods did not have to wait as long as they did last year.:D:
Just remember this: Early in the season, the Cubs were stricken with several injuries to marquee players such as Wood, Prior and Sosa. As Sox fans, we laughed and laughed and laughed and taunted with glee.

Then what happened? Our two best players got hurt and our season went down in flames. It isn't so bleeping funny anymore, is it?

Be very careful what you say. I hope the Cubs fold the tents and miss the playoffs, but there's still a chance we could all be eating our words in a month's time.

MUsoxfan
09-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Just remember this: Early in the season, the Cubs were stricken with several injuries to marquee players such as Wood, Prior and Sosa. As Sox fans, we laughed and laughed and laughed and taunted with glee.

Then what happened? Our two best players got hurt and our season went down in flames. It isn't so bleeping funny anymore, is it?

Be very careful what you say. I hope the Cubs fold the tents and miss the playoffs, but there's still a chance we could all be eating our words in a month's time.

I disagree. We NEVER had the expectations that they had. I laugh at ALL downfalls of those chumps. The Cubs are done. The rest of the NL wildcard contenders have had something that resembles a winning streak while the baseball club from the Northside has not. They're done and NOBODY is more happy than me.

balke
09-09-2004, 02:53 AM

Are you suggesting the cubs injured Frank and Maggs? OMG it all makes sense now!!! That's when Frank went down! Those Cursed MFers!!!! :angry:

p.s. slowsa being injured is a blessing to that team this year. Go Giants!

FightingBillini
09-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Are you suggesting that that god is a woman? We are having a serious conversation here. I think its safe to say that God isnt really on good terms with Chicago baseball.

DumpJerry
09-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Going into spring training this year, we were all pissed off because we lost all of our free agents (it was really hurtful that Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett were gone for good) and figured this would be a "lost" season and there were no expectations whatsover. Compare this to the hoopla the Flubs had once the final out was made in game 7 last October (somehow choking BIG TIME gives a team a free shot at the WS) which included the Sports Illustrated cover with Wood and the headline "Hell freezes over" and proclaimed the Flubs would win the WS.

We've better than we expected in March. The Flubs have played about as well as we expected in March (but the world refused to listen to us).

Therefore, we can :bandance: :bandance: all we want to. The fact that the $^#&%$# Flubs are struggling for a wild card spot shows what a total sham they are. If you are destined to win the WS, you play like the Cards, not a late night comedy show.

SOXSINCE'70
09-09-2004, 08:12 AM
WOO FRIGGIN' HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
09-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Are you suggesting that that god is a woman? We are having a serious conversation here. I think its safe to say that God isnt really on good terms with Chicago baseball.
If I see a WS championship club on the South Side
in my lifetime,it will be a miracle.:(: :(: :(:

SOXSINCE'70
09-09-2004, 08:18 AM

The Marlins and Astros are hotter than Hell.Too many injuries could be the sCrUBbie death knell.At least that's what this Sox fan hopes.Oh,and to my sCrUB fan breathren::neener: :neener:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

kittle42
09-09-2004, 10:32 AM
I disagree. We NEVER had the expectations that they had. I laugh at ALL downfalls of those chumps. The Cubs are done. The rest of the NL wildcard contenders have had something that resembles a winning streak while the baseball club from the Northside has not. They're done and NOBODY is more happy than me.
If ever words were made to be eaten, they are the words above.

Watch it, guys. I am happy, too - but really, the Cubs have the best team of the 5 contenders and are due to win a few. 1/2 game = nothing.

HebrewHammer
09-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Somewhere UIC Jason is frowning at as and telling his Jay Moronotti bobblehead doll how he roots for both teams.

JB98
09-09-2004, 11:57 AM
If ever words were made to be eaten, they are the words above.

Watch it, guys. I am happy, too - but really, the Cubs have the best team of the 5 contenders and are due to win a few. 1/2 game = nothing.
Exactly. The Cubs actually lead the Astros by one in the loss column and the Giants by two. They also have plenty of Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and the Mets down the stretch. The Cubs are struggling right now, but only a fool would say they are out of it.

Baby Fisk
09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Somewhere UIC Jason is frowning at as and telling his Jay Moronotti bobblehead doll how he roots for both teams.Surprise, surprise! Look who's off the bandwagon...:rolleyes:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay09.html

kittle42
09-09-2004, 12:27 PM
That Mariotti is unbelievable. He changes opinions like people change underwear.

Baby Fisk
09-09-2004, 12:31 PM
That Mariotti is unbelievable. He changes opinions like people change underwear....and probably doesn't change his own underwear nearly as often! :cool:

It's actually a pretty poetic column. Nothing like crapping on something to get the literary juices flowing. What a tool!

:moron
"Don't listen to Gammons! I said that the Twins were America's Team HOURS before he ever did! Regardless, I've been humming Tessie here in my cubicle all morning, thinking about how those incredible Boston Red Sox are continuing their march to a well deserved World Championship, bla bla bla..."

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 12:42 PM
That Mariotti is unbelievable. He changes opinions like people change underwear.:woo-woo

"Change, woo, underwear, woo?"

Palehose13
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM

Huh? I hope that we are the ones laughing last.

CWWTWS1
09-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Final score in Florida: Mets 4 Marlins 0

Seriously, all of you need to **** and look at the whole picture before proclaiming the Cubs finished. The Cubs have the fewest losses of any team in the wild card race. Too much baseball left.

JB98
09-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Final score in Florida: Mets 4 Marlins 0

Seriously, all of you need to **** and look at the whole picture before proclaiming the Cubs finished. The Cubs have the fewest losses of any team in the wild card race. Too much baseball left.
Exactly, but remember who you are dealing with on this board. Sox fans are classic overreactors who can't keep their eye on the big picture or maintain any level of sanity.

Look at this last week. We won four in a row, and all of a sudden, we were talking about catching the Twins. Then, we lost 10-3 to Texas, and people started accusing the players of "mailing it in" and otherwise tanking the game intentionally.

People overreact to the developments on the North Side in a similar fashion around here.

kittle42
09-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Exactly, but remember who you are dealing with on this board. Sox fans are classic overreactors who can't keep their eye on the big picture or maintain any level of sanity.

Look at this last week. We won four in a row, and all of a sudden, we were talking about catching the Twins. Then, we lost 10-3 to Texas, and people started accusing the players of "mailing it in" and otherwise tanking the game intentionally.

People overreact to the developments on the North Side in a similar fashion around here.
It really is very, very silly. Much like the "hey, look, Matt Ginter is 1-0" crowd was. Fools.

Palehose13
09-09-2004, 06:16 PM
It really is very, very silly. Much like the "hey, look, Matt Ginter is 1-0" crowd was. Fools.
I'm not going to say that "they" are done, but I do take some pleasure with them now being in the third spot for the wildcard. About a month ago, cub fans seemed to believe that it was inevitable that their team would be in the playoffs. Hell, someone on this board recently posted that the cubs will win the wildcard and have the team to go deep into the playoffs. Sure it is only a 1/2 game, but their team doesn't seem to handle pressure very well.

That said, I hope this is a trend and the cubs continue to slide down in the wildcard race.

CWWTWS1
09-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Final score from Pittsburgh in game 1 of a DH: Pirates 3 Astros 1.

Like I said, just ****!

bc2k
09-09-2004, 07:39 PM

Like I said, just ****!
well as long as the cubs are not in the wild card lead, you can shut the **** up too.

MRKARNO
09-09-2004, 07:53 PM

Like I said, just ****!
Does CWWTWS stand for "Cubs will win the World Series"?

MUsoxfan
09-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Does CWWTWS stand for "Cubs will win the World Series"?

I have to believe that it does indeed stand for that. After reviewing the Chubbie lover's previous posts, I saw nothing that he has written that has reflected the White Sox in a positive light. CWWTWS is now officially someone to ignore. :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

Blueprint1
09-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I have to believe that it does indeed stand for that. After reviewing the Chubbie lover's previous posts, I saw nothing that he has written that has reflected the White Sox in a positive light. CWWTWS is now officially someone to ignore. :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:
YEAH I JUST LOOKED YOUR RIGHT

CHISOXFAN13
09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Maybe the mods will take a look at his last post and save us all the trouble and ban the bum.

maurice
09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Score from Pittsburgh through 7 innings in game 2 of a DH:

'Stros 8
Bucks 2

It looks like the beloved will finish the day right where they started it: mired in third place.

. . . and cubbie lovers everywhere can ****. :cool:

voodoochile
09-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Been thinking about that for a while. This thread and the excellent sleuth work on the initials have led me to believe you all are correct...

:hawk
"Do I need to say it?"

santo=dorf
09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah, you're right. About 90% of this guy's posts are about the Cubs.

:deadtrolls

silhouette
09-10-2004, 01:35 AM

Umm don't we want to be last ones laughing :?: Anyways, I agree that it's too early to get excited about the Cubs losing their Wild Card spot. Personally I want the Giants to win it (if they don't win the NL West), since I like Bonds.
He doesn't do the song and dance to please the mainstream public.

bc2k
09-10-2004, 01:49 AM
CWWTWS is now officially someone to ignore.
While you're at it, JB98 and Kittle42 were agreeing with the cubbie troll in their posts above.

JB98
09-10-2004, 02:07 AM
While you're at it, JB98 and Kittle42 were agreeing with the cubbie troll in their posts above.
That's because the Cubs aren't out of it. I hate to tell you, but if the Astros can pull their heads out of their rears and go on a 12-game winning streak, then so can the Cubs. I sure as hell hope not, but I'm going to save the laughing and taunting until the day the Cubs get eliminated.

bc2k
09-10-2004, 07:25 AM
That's because the Cubs aren't out of it. I hate to tell you, but if the Astros can pull their heads out of their rears and go on a 12-game winning streak, then so can the Cubs. True. But why couldn't you have just said that originally instead of bashing White Sox fans in post #36: "Sox fans are classic overreacters who can't keep their eye on the big picture or maintain any level of sanity."

Baby Fisk
09-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Been thinking about that for a while. This thread and the excellent sleuth work on the initials have led me to believe you all are correct...

"Do I need to say it?":DJ
"Allow me, Hawk. Hey CWWTWS: Why don't you go and ****!"

*shocked silence*
"Mercy!"

kittle42
09-10-2004, 10:46 AM
True. But why couldn't you have just said that originally instead of bashing White Sox fans in post #36: "Sox fans are classic overreacters who can't keep their eye on the big picture or maintain any level of sanity."
I could point you to about 1,000 posts where Sox fans on this board have shown this propensity, including many of my own.

And I agreed with the Cubbie troll because what he says is how I act toward any team/situation I'm rooting for....don't openly celebrate the finality of it until it is final. No jinxes!

HomeFish
09-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Guys, we'll be lucky if the Marlins win a split of today's doubleheader. The first game is Pavano vs the Messiah, but the second is Wood vs a guy from A ball. I really hope that is a typo, but, yes, the preview I'm reading says A-ball. :o:

balke
09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
That's because the Cubs aren't out of it. I hate to tell you, but if the Astros can pull their heads out of their rears and go on a 12-game winning streak, then so can the Cubs. I sure as hell hope not, but I'm going to save the laughing and taunting until the day the Cubs get eliminated.
WHy are people so scared?! That's like saying "Don't root for the sox to win tonight, cause they probably won't, then you'll have to live with that disappointment the rest of your life." It's ridiculous.

It's my god-given right as a sox fan to shower the flubs with booe's, to cheer on the stros, or Fish, or my main man Barry B. So long as there's cork in this world (no Albert Belle comments please) or biased newspaper owned media in the world... it is the sox fans' duty to mock, slander (or libel), harass, and curse any player, fan, stadium, or playoff hope the flubs may be affiliated with. GO FISH!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Lq1UZfqgI_sJ:http://www.allsports.com/store/images/items/010/010_2324568904.jpg "Raise that flag high, we got some hatin' to do".

Baby Fisk
09-10-2004, 12:05 PM
WHy are people so scared?! That's like saying "Don't root for the sox to win tonight, cause they probably won't, then you'll have to live with that disappointment the rest of your life." It's ridiculous.

It's my god-given right as a sox fan to shower the flubs with booe's, to cheer on the stros, or Fish, or my main man Barry B. So long as there's cork in this world (no Albert Belle comments please) or biased newspaper owned media in the world... it is the sox fans' duty to mock, slander (or libel), harass, and curse any player, fan, stadium, or playoff hope the flubs may be affiliated with. GO FISH!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Lq1UZfqgI_sJ:http://www.allsports.com/store/images/items/010/010_2324568904.jpg "Raise that flag high, we got some hatin' to do".Damn Straight, balke. Celebrate what you can, because there's a lot that we as Sox fans can't. I don't get why people need to lecture other posters on excessive / pointless celebrating. Don't take these boards so seriously! Go repress yourself somewhere else! Meanwhile, lemme get back to some of this...

:yup:
"oh yeah... uh-huh... feelin' good..."

JB98
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
True. But why couldn't you have just said that originally instead of bashing White Sox fans in post #36: "Sox fans are classic overreacters who can't keep their eye on the big picture or maintain any level of sanity."
It wasn't like I made that statement without any support. I used this last week as a prime example.

Furthermore, I think I'm fully qualified to comment on the mental state of Sox fans. I've been one all of my life. I tend to overreact after losses myself, but by way of comparison, I look sane in comparison to some who post here.

JB98
09-10-2004, 01:01 PM
I am scared that the Cubs are going to win. They might not be living up to expectations, but they are still in good position. If they do win, we'd never hear the end of it for the rest of our lives. Twenty years after the fact, people still speak fondly about the '85 Bears. If the Cubs win, it will be the same way. I'd rather not face that.

Mainly, I'm just pissed off that we're out of it again. Yet another year with no playoffs and no pennant on the South Side. I HATE being reduced to cheering against the Cubs. I'd much rather have the Sox be the team playing meaningful games in September. If that were the case, I wouldn't have time to worry about the stinking Cubs.