PDA

View Full Version : How much money will these FAs want?

Mohoney
09-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Russ Ortiz
Carl Pavano
Odalis Perez
Ugueth Urbina
Armando Benitez
Eric Milton
Al Leiter

Does anybody know what these guys are going to be asking in terms of money and contract length?

Everybody talks about trading away Konerko or Lee to free up money. I would live with it IF we locked up 2 of these starters and got rid of Jon Garland.

If it is feasible, I would sign both Russ Ortiz and Eric Milton, with Jose Contreras being a great option for a #5.

If Ortiz and Milton both have outrageous price tags, then maybe Odalis Perez can be substituted for Ortiz. Either way, we need 2 new starters, from OUTSIDE this organization, if we are going to leapfrog Minnesota.

Jjav829
09-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Russ Ortiz
Carl Pavano
Odalis Perez
Ugueth Urbina
Armando Benitez
Eric Milton
Al Leiter

Does anybody know what these guys are going to be asking in terms of money and contract length?

Everybody talks about trading away Konerko or Lee to free up money. I would live with it IF we locked up 2 of these starters and got rid of Jon Garland.

If it is feasible, I would sign both Russ Ortiz and Eric Milton, with Jose Contreras being a great option for a #5.

If Ortiz and Milton both have outrageous price tags, then maybe Odalis Perez can be substituted for Ortiz. Either way, we need 2 new starters, from OUTSIDE this organization, if we are going to leapfrog Minnesota.As much as they can get...

Who knows what they are going to want/be offered. The Rangers are desperate for starting pitching and will be active in the pitching market. Look for them to overpay someone. I fully expect them to throw a bunch of cash at some pitchers. Whether that means overpaying a guy like Milton or Ortiz, or overpaying a guy like Glendon Rusch because of his success this year, I don't know.

munchman33
09-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Russ Ortiz
Carl Pavano
Odalis Perez
Ugueth Urbina
Armando Benitez
Eric Milton
Al Leiter

The Sox will sign at most one starter, regardless of whether Judy is back. Kenny'll trade Judy if he's confident in Grilli as the 5. We won't get Pavano, as he'll cost a pretty penny. Might even get more than Pedro. And Leiter's staying in New York. We'll likely make an offer to Ortiz, but won't get him if he expects more than 6-8 million per for 3 years (which is likely). Milton's also a possiblility in that range, but he'll likely end up back in Phili.

As for Urbina and Benitez, the Sox don't sign established relievers in the offseason. It's sort of an organizational philosophy.

Harris=God
09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
what about johan santana isnt he a free agent.

Flight #24
09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
what about johan santana isnt he a free agent.
Nope, IIRC, he's arbitration eligible but not FA for another 2 years. However, you can almost guarantee that he's going to get a significant increase in salary, which should make it difficult for the Twins to keep Radke.

MUsoxfan
09-08-2004, 11:42 PM
The simple answer is that most will ask wayy more than what the Sox are willing to spend. I hope that JR opens up his pocketbook and realizes how close the team is to greatness. I'm just resigned the the fact that we'll have cheap purpose-hitters on the team next year.

misty60481
09-09-2004, 09:42 AM
$teinbreener wants R. Johnson we dont stand a chance the red sox are going to be looking for pitching or re-signing the braves are also in the market----besides if we get rin of PK and CLee who will drive in our runs---over 200 RBIs gone--not to much for a pitcher to look forward to

fledgedrallycap
09-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Did anyone hear the interview with Todd Walker yesterday on MJ&H when discussing Nomar? Apparently, good ole' #5 is still anticipating a $16-18 Million Dollar a year contract.....Since it is Thursday, I need to state: "Who You Crappin'?"

Randar68
09-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Did anyone hear the interview with Todd Walker yesterday on MJ&H when discussing Nomar? Apparently, good ole' #5 is still anticipating a $16-18 Million Dollar a year contract.....Since it is Thursday, I need to state: "Who You Crappin'?"
I heard that and started cracking up. Either Todd is dellusional, or Nomar is nuts...

Anaheim might overpay, but "overpay" is only going to be 12-13 per year. Nomar might get ~11 if Anaheim isn't in the picture, there are a half dozen legit SS FA's this offseason, it's no slim pickin's this year...