PDA

View Full Version : Spending $$.....filling holes!!

GiveMeSox
09-08-2004, 04:51 PM
With another offseason looming for the sox 2004 has brought something very good for our team. It has brought our failures and holes to the surface so everyone can see, fans, coaches, players, management, and the media. We all know now going into the offseason exactly what we need and what we dont have. Everyone wants and rants about the sox spending money and making FA signings. Maybe, but what we need the most is to fill our holes. Solidfy this team from top to bottom, and that doesn't necissarily mean an 80 to 90 mil payroll. We would all benefit more from no experiments, no question marks, no hoping to turn it arounds. Sure sometimes spending $ is a way to fill your holes, IE the cubs, but we are not the cubs, we are who we are. We dont need to sign a nunch of 10 mil per year guys on this team for us to win, we need to sign solid guys who can get the job done (the most economically as possible)

So looking at our holes we need a RF, SS, bullpen, starting pithcing, and debatable are cather and 3B. Instead of crying and whining about not getting beltran, JD drew and Carl Pavano and increasing payroll to 85 mil we should be wishing and wanting for all of holes to be filled with solid players. Give me Catalanatto, Kolb, Harriston Jr, Guzman, Jaque Jones, Benson, or Wright. If we had the choice of taking 2 of the big stars vs. 4 of the list above i would take the 4. It would improve our ballclub 10 fold to fill all our holes by any means than to fill half of them with superstars and leave the other half open.

kittle42
09-08-2004, 05:08 PM
With another offseason looming for the sox 2004 has brought something very good for our team. It has brought our failures and holes to the surface so everyone can see, fans, coaches, players, management, and the media. We all know now going into the offseason exactly what we need and what we dont have. Everyone wants and rants about the sox spending money and making FA signings. Maybe, but what we need the most is to fill our holes. Solidfy this team from top to bottom, and that doesn't necissarily mean an 80 to 90 mil payroll. We would all benefit more from no experiments, no question marks, no hoping to turn it arounds. Sure sometimes spending $ is a way to fill your holes, IE the cubs, but we are not the cubs, we are who we are. We dont need to sign a nunch of 10 mil per year guys on this team for us to win, we need to sign solid guys who can get the job done (the most economically as possible)

So looking at our holes we need a RF, SS, bullpen, starting pithcing, and debatable are cather and 3B. Instead of crying and whining about not getting beltran, JD drew and Carl Pavano and increasing payroll to 85 mil we should be wishing and wanting for all of holes to be filled with solid players. Give me Catalanatto, Kolb, Harriston Jr, Guzman, Jaque Jones, Benson, or Wright. If we had the choice of taking 2 of the big stars vs. 4 of the list above i would take the 4. It would improve our ballclub 10 fold to fill all our holes by any means than to fill half of them with superstars and leave the other half open.
Yay! Another pie-in-the-sky thread.

Jjav829
09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I hope I'm completely wrong, but somehow I see another offseason of us all complaining about no good Free Agents being brought it while we listen to Kenny tell us about how our offseason was really in the midseason when we acquired Freddy and Contreras. You know, the typical...

:KW
"Not many teams added significantly to their payroll if the midseason like we did. Those moves were made for last year and the future. That was really our Free Agent shopping. We feel our team is a contender right now with only a few minor additions."

I fear another offseason of listening to Kenny spew the company line as our biggest Free Agent acquisition ends up being Dante Bichette in order to try to solidify our bullpen. I hope I am completely off here. I hope we see this team make move after move to try to change the complexion of this team. If we don't, this offseason, and next year, will be very long.

balke
09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I hope I'm completely wrong, but somehow I see another offseason of us all complaining about no good Free Agents being brought it while we listen to Kenny tell us about how our offseason was really in the midseason when we acquired Freddy and Contreras. You know, the typical...

:KW
"Not many teams added significantly to their payroll if the midseason like we did. Those moves were made for last year and the future. That was really our Free Agent shopping. We feel our team is a contender right now with only a few minor additions."

What's wrong with buying midseason? Overall it's been a lot cheaper than adding 8 figure FA's that may slump or get injured early in the season.

Paulwny
09-08-2004, 06:32 PM
What's wrong with buying midseason? Overall it's been a lot cheaper than adding 8 figure FA's that may slump or get injured early in the season.
That's why we can't win. The sox wait to see where they are at the as break, what the attendance is and then decide to fill holes. Fill the holes at the beginning and get control of this division and you don't have to scramble at the break.
It may be cheaper $$ wise, but it costs you players that you've traded to fill the holes.

Tragg
09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
That's why we can't win. The sox wait to see where they are at the as break, what the attendance is and then decide to fill holes. Fill the holes at the beginning and get control of this division and you don't have to scramble at the break.
It may be cheaper $$ wise, but it costs you players that you've traded to fill the holes.
Yep

And you get stuck with players that were okay to plug a hole, but really offer nothing long-term---like Everett, who would be a nice bench bat for next year (at $4 million--ouch), but if we are plugging him into an outfield position full-time, we have no chance.

I don't see how we can afford to trade Lee or Konerko, without signing some big stick free agent--who's going to drive in runs?

balke
09-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't see how we can afford to trade Lee or Konerko, without signing some big stick free agent--who's going to drive in runs?
Laugh at me all you want after saying it, I deserve it. BUT, I don't see the Sox getting any kind of good outfielder. We probably leave Borchy out there with Rowand, and Timo/everett (or maggs if a miracle comes by).

The only "big name" I can see us plugging into our lineup would be in the infield. Whoever that infielder is, we will end up paying them way too much money. I can't help to wonder what the Yanks are going to do with the Giambi situation.

Here's where it gets funny. Konerko and Lee and/or Rowand (or crede) for A-Rod's swollen contract. Like the breaking of the Lakers, I see mighty steinbrenner stepping back saying "way too many leaders here" when they don't win the WS. A-rod has been second fiddle to Sheff all season. Ozzie just talked about how the SS has to be a leader. I bet A-rod is sick of playing 3rd. Random crazy thought, laugh away.

Sell Jerry Sell!
09-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Isn't there a guy who drives in runs and where's number 35?

kittle42
09-08-2004, 10:22 PM

:reinsy
"You think I care?"

Hangar18
09-09-2004, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=GiveMeSox]With another offseason looming for the sox 2004 has brought something very good for our team. It has brought our failures and holes to the surface......................... (the most economically as possible)

So looking at our holes we need a RF, SS, bullpen, starting pithcing, and debatable are cather and 3B. Instead of crying and whining about not getting beltran, JD drew and Carl Pavano and increasing payroll to 85 mil we should be wishing and wanting for all of holes to be filled with solid players. QUOTE]

And there lies the rub. This team REFUSES to spend $$$$.
Pt A: They go young (1989) and dont have to PAY anyone, theyre all Rookies.
Pt B: Then, when the Team Gets pretty good (1990), and all we need is to fill some Holes, THE TEAM REFUSES TO SPEND $$$ AND FILL HOLES.
Pt C: The team continues to be pretty Good (1993) but is always just short of the mark because team doesnt fill holes, instead hoping cheap and/or unproven players can rise to the occasion. (They FINALLY fill some holes and spend some Money (1994) but a Strike cuts us down.)
Back to Pt A: THey then decide they dont want to spend any more money and CUT payroll (1995).
Pt B: The team despite that, gets pretty good again (1996) but again, they dont fill their holes and fall short. They let a Bunch of Players go......
Pt A: ....... instead of Paying them and Filling HOles (1997) and go Young again, so they dont have to Pay Anyone, theyre all Rookies.
Pt B: The team gets pretty good again (2000) but they Refuse to Fill Obvious Holes and Sign Key Players ............
Pt B ptI: The team stays pretty good (2001) but falls way short, Team refuses to Fill Holes/SPend Money opting for cheaper/unproven alternatives
Pt B ptII: The team stays pretty good (2002) but falls short, Team refuses to fill holes/spend money, opting for cheaper/unproven alternatives
Pt B ptIII: The teams stays pretty good (2003) but falls short, Team
refuses to fill holes/spend money, opting to take on players who will be paid from other teams only, and in offseason DUMPS players who were due raises/etc
Pt B ptIV: The team somehow still stays pretty good, but falls short, Team refuses to FIll Holes/Spend Money opting for Cheaper/Unproven alternatives

Pt A pt 3: Team guts high priced talent, blames players for not going extra mile (when in fact it was our holes created by said mgmt) that led to 2004 demise, and goes Young again ........
Ready to start anew ....................the Cycle of Foolishness

kittle42
09-09-2004, 09:27 AM
And there lies the rub. This team REFUSES to spend $$$$.

Ready to start anew ....................the Cycle of Foolishness
Henry, great post. You have nailed it on the head and everyone on this board who thinks this team is finally gonna go spend money needs to wake up. We will get hosed again as fans as we always do.