PDA

View Full Version : Bait-and-switch at the Cell Box Office

maurice
09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
I was just reminded of something that happened at the Cell box office last Friday. This story serves as a reminder to check the seating info on your tix before you walk away from the window, no matter what the ticket agent tells you.

Deuce, Mrs. Maurice, and I went up to the Gate 4 box office, intending to use the half-price coupons our ticket rep sent us after we cancelled our season ticket plan. The ticket agent advised that the "best available" seats were right behind home plate about 14 rows back, and asked if I wanted to purchase them. Surprised by this good news, I said "yes," handed him the coupons and my credit card, and advised Deuce that I was purchasing tickets right behind home plate. The agent handed me back my credit card and three tickets in the last row of section 150 (way down the 3B line, under the luxury boxes). When I pointed out that he just bait-and-switched me, the agent claimed that the coupons were not valid for the seats we agreed upon (though it didn't say that anywhere on the coupon) and that he "assumed" that I would just take whatever seats he decided to give me without first discussing the switch. The impropriety of the agent's conduct was underscored by the friendly, helpful, and articulate ticket agents I recently dealt with in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincy.

I've heard many stories about shabby treatment at the hands of Sox employees but never had a bad experience before this season. Our decision not to renew was based on KW's lack of offseason acquisitions, not the general ballpark experience. The Sox tried to lure us back with coupons that appeared to be a nice gesture, but this agent's conduct more than negated any good will resulting from the coupons.

FARMEO
09-08-2004, 04:35 PM
I remember that I had a bad experience with a ticket agent back in 2000. My experience was similar, the agent gave me seats without asking my approval and said it was too late to make any changes. I called the ticket office to tell my story and I received tickets behind home plate courtesy of Mike Mazza himself. It is strange, there seems to be stories of goodwill from the Sox and bad experiences.

GiveMeSox
09-08-2004, 05:36 PM
The same thing happened to me and my friends this year on the wonderful July 24th game against detroit when crede hit the walk off. There was 7 of us. We asked for anything in the lower deck at the box office. The ticket rep (a young blonde girl) told us she couldn't get us all together but could get us 4 in a row and 3 in a row back to back in right center field seating. So we said ok thats pretty good, considering it was a near sellout. So we assumed we would be sitting back to back 3 of us and 4 of us. We paid and then she handed us the tickets. As we walked away looking at the tickets they were definatly not what she just told us we would be getting. We got 7 tickets scattered about the outfield area. Not 1 ticket was next to in seats, or rows another one. They were scattered in the left center bleachers and right center box seats, all over the place. We chalked this one up to "dumb blonde" didn't know what she was doing. But now i ask OR DID SHE?? Anyway we wound up all sitting together in the corner seats by the foul pole that are always last to fill up, so it worked out, but still ***!

pinwheels3530
09-09-2004, 03:39 AM
I was just reminded of something that happened at the Cell box office last Friday. This story serves as a reminder to check the seating info on your tix before you walk away from the window, no matter what the ticket agent tells you.

Deuce, Mrs. Maurice, and I went up to the Gate 4 box office, intending to use the half-price coupons our ticket rep sent us after we cancelled our season ticket plan. The ticket agent advised that the "best available" seats were right behind home plate about 14 rows back, and asked if I wanted to purchase them. Surprised by this good news, I said "yes," handed him the coupons and my credit card, and advised Deuce that I was purchasing tickets right behind home plate. The agent handed me back my credit card and three tickets in the last row of section 150 (way down the 3B line, under the luxury boxes). When I pointed out that he just bait-and-switched me, the agent claimed that the coupons were not valid for the seats we agreed upon (though it didn't say that anywhere on the coupon) and that he "assumed" that I would just take whatever seats he decided to give me without first discussing the switch. The impropriety of the agent's conduct was underscored by the friendly, helpful, and articulate ticket agents I recently dealt with in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincy.

I've heard many stories about shabby treatment at the hands of Sox employees but never had a bad experience before this season. Our decision not to renew was based on KW's lack of offseason acquisitions, not the general ballpark experience. The Sox tried to lure us back with coupons that appeared to be a nice gesture, but this agent's conduct more than negated any good will resulting from the coupons.

I too found that the staff at the Indians and Pirates games were a lot more helpful and friendly than the ones at the Sox games. In fact some of the pics I took and recently posted were taking by employee's who were very friendly and willing to go above and beyond. At PNC park there was a senior citizen usher in the upper deck who would wipe the seat down for every fan in his section because they were wet from the rain before the game. This not to bad mouth every sox employee, but the other parks staff really impressed me!

gosox41
09-09-2004, 07:43 AM

Write or call the team. They'd be interested in knowing what's going on.

Bob

ewokpelts
09-09-2004, 12:06 PM

I've heard many stories about shabby treatment at the hands of Sox employees but never had a bad experience before this season. Our decision not to renew was based on KW's lack of offseason acquisitions, not the general ballpark experience. The Sox tried to lure us back with coupons that appeared to be a nice gesture, but this agent's conduct more than negated any good will resulting from the coupons.If i'm not picky, I dont bother asking wher emy seats will be. But if I am.....i tell them where to look. When the "best available" puts me off inteh corners, i have them start looking at sections with aa, bb, and cc. Even if it pisses them off. I like to sit as close as I can, even if it's down the line. Always ask the section before you give him your cash.
Gene

npdempse
09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I've had good and bad. Once, partly my fault due to misunderstanding exactly what the deal was with some rainout season tickets, one guy was a real douchebag to me, so I made him get his manager who was reasonably nice. Best bet always seems to be to go to the will call windows, they seem to be the most experienced/smart reps.

ewokpelts
09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I've had good and bad. Once, partly my fault due to misunderstanding exactly what the deal was with some rainout season tickets, one guy was a real douchebag to me, so I made him get his manager who was reasonably nice. Best bet always seems to be to go to the will call windows, they seem to be the most experienced/smart reps.i usually buy my advance tix inside the park. those guysusually have a good hed on thier shoulders. They also are more agreeable to my demands(look in sec 152...look for row aa..ect).
Gene

maurice
09-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Always ask the section before you give him your cash.That's good advice that I always follow, but it didn't solve my problem. The agent said he was giving me one section and then switched it to a completely different area of the ballpark (almost twenty sections away and twenty rows back) without ever mentioning the change. I'm surprised to learn that this has happened to a lot of people. Since Sox management views this site, I hope they take note of this serious problem.