PDA

View Full Version : Free Willie

24thStFan
09-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Is there something going on between Ozzie and Willie Harris? Why won’t Ozzie give Willie a chance to play everyday? I know Willie is hitting something like .188 against left-handers, but he has done some good things lately, and the Sox seem to play with more enthusiasm when Willie is in the lineup.

I think Willie has shown some improvement this year. Admittedly, he has a long way to go, but the only way he can get better is to play everyday. And certainly Willie is no worse than the other guys who have been playing 2B for the Sox lately (e.g., Valentin).

Paulwny
09-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Is there something going on between Ozzie and Willie Harris? Why won’t Ozzie give Willie a chance to play everyday? I know Willie is hitting something like .188 against left-handers, but he has done some good things lately, and the Sox seem to play with more enthusiasm when Willie is in the lineup.

I think Willie has shown some improvement this year. Admittedly, he has a long way to go, but the only way he can get better is to play everyday. And certainly Willie is no worse than the other guys who have been playing 2B for the Sox lately (e.g., Valentin).

Today's Southtown:

Whether Valentin is in or out of the picture, Guillen doesn't seem too excited with the makeup of the Sox's current infield. "I wish Willie Harris could give me more everyday playing time," Guillen said of the 26-year-old second baseman. "I would love to see this kid play every day. I think he's got good talent — it's there — but I wish he would put himself together to be an everyday player.

24thStFan
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Whether Valentin is in or out of the picture, Guillen doesn't seem too excited with the makeup of the Sox's current infield. "I wish Willie Harris could give me more everyday playing time," Guillen said of the 26-year-old second baseman. "I would love to see this kid play every day. I think he's got good talent — it's there — but I wish he would put himself together to be an everyday player.[/QUOTE]
If Ozzie wants more out of Willie, he needs to let him play everyday. Willie is in the lineup one day, then he sits for 3-4 days. What's up?

SoxxoS
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Players that aren't very good (see Harris, Willie) shouldn't play everyday. He really isn't really good at anything. He doesn't steal bases. He isn't that great of a fielder. He doesn't hit for any power.

And there is your answer.

Baby Fisk
09-08-2004, 02:36 PM
So Ozzie's first "special project" didn't turn out so good? :?:

Kogs35
09-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Players that aren't very good (see Harris, Willie) shouldn't play everyday. He really isn't really good at anything. He doesn't steal bases. He isn't that great of a fielder. He doesn't hit for any power.

and he cant hit lefty's.

kittle42
09-08-2004, 02:46 PM
and he cant hit lefty's.
Or lefties.

24thStFan
09-08-2004, 02:52 PM

I know, I know - yet recently Willie has made some nice plays in the field, he has been running the bases well, and he even hit a homerun!

It's not like the Sox have a lot of choices here. I say give Willie a chance for the rest of the season.

24thStFan
09-08-2004, 03:06 PM
I think I read it here at WSI that Ozzie said Willie had a “bad attitude?”

I’m wondering if Ozzie simply has a preference for Latin players and there may be a communication problem (literally) between Oz and Willie.

maurice
09-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Harris has played better than Borchard, and they're both relatively young. If OG's going to run Borch out there every day "to see what he can do," Willie should be out there also. He certainly shouldn't lose any ABs to Valdez or Alomar if a RHP is on the mound.

Kogs35
09-08-2004, 03:15 PM
willie harris also can steal bases when he wants to and hasn't used his speed to do it. and when he has tried to steal a base he gets caught. ozzie has said it before he wants willie harris to steal and he doesnt.

Soxzilla
09-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Or lefties.
He isn't going to learn to hit lefty's or lefties by sitting on the bench.

No time like the present! Ozzie just makes himself sound like he can't control his team.

24thStFan
09-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Ozzie just makes himself sound like he can't control his team.
When I was watching the game Monday, Hawk and D.J. were praising Willie for choking up and making contact with the ball for a “duck snort” single. Later on, they were saying what a good baserunner Willie was for going from first to third on a single. I’m sitting there thinking, this is exactly what the Sox need - more contact hitters and runners who can go from first to third.

So what does Ozzie do – Willie hasn’t played since.

balke
09-08-2004, 03:44 PM
He isn't going to learn to hit lefty's or lefties by sitting on the bench.

No time like the present! Ozzie just makes himself sound like he can't control his team.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:u-4jeGAVVBkJ:ca.yimg.com/i/ca/reuters/20031104/i/
"I put di player name in haht and shake it, den pull outda name ohff di starting lineup. Es trick Manuel taught meh. Willie play tough, 2 name in haht, better chances."

wdelaney72
09-08-2004, 04:10 PM
"I put di player name in haht and shake it, den pull outda name ohff di starting lineup. Es trick Manuel taught meh. Willie play tough, 2 name in haht, better chances."

Now that's funny!!!

bafiarocks03
09-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Im with you on that one!! William should play everyday!:D:

DickAllen72
09-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Today's Southtown:

Whether Valentin is in or out of the picture, Guillen doesn't seem too excited with the makeup of the Sox's current infield. "I wish Willie Harris could give me more everyday playing time," Guillen said of the 26-year-old second baseman. "I would love to see this kid play every day. I think he's got good talent ? it's there ? but I wish he would put himself together to be an everyday player.

Willie should be playing 2B everyday for the rest of the season. Uribe should be playing SS almost everyday, except for a few games here and there to see what Valdez can do at his natural position.

So what does Ozzie do yesterday? He puts Valdez out of position at 2B in his major league debut. Why???

bc2k
09-08-2004, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up on the thread title; thumbs down on the tard-size font.

24thStFan
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Thumbs up on the thread title; thumbs down on the tard-size font.
Sorry about that. Us "old-timers" sometimes need a little help seeing.:smile:

WikdChiSoxFan
09-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree with the Willie & Juan infield. Both these guys had great starts to the season and still show some amazing potential. I believe Wille & Juan's magic wore off when Valentin came back and they basically lost there starters role and became platooned. It might be interesting to see if historically players play better when they have solid starting positions. For example, when Maggs was injured it was bye-bye platooning in centerfield...and now he's tearing it up out there. I think this is the first year that Aaron knows he's THE man now and look what it's done.

Soxzilla
09-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Our infield should be...3B Uribe, SS Valdez and 2B Willie.

SoxxoS
09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Our infield should be...3B Uribe, SS Valdez and 2B Willie.
Are you talking about now or next year? I hope you mean now, b/c if we start those 3 clowns opening day next year, mark us down for 100 losses.

kittle42
09-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Are you talking about now or next year? I hope you mean now, b/c if we start those 3 clowns opening day next year, mark us down for 100 losses.
He had BETTER mean this year.

:reinsy
"Why? What is wrong with that infield...except that we will need to teach Joe Crede to play first."