PDA

View Full Version : Guillen on SS

kittle42
09-08-2004, 10:57 AM
''Sometimes he [Uribe] doesn't know how many outs are on the [darn] scoreboard,'' Guillen said. ''Uribe really doesn't know the big-league game yet. That comes with time, that comes with experience and comes if you want to have it.''

Gotta love Ozzie. He's the anti-Baker. If Nomar misjudged how many outs there were, Baker would blame it on the umps. Or the wind. Or the opposing players. Or the hot weather. Or the cold weather. Or the hurricane.

Clembasbal
09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
As cool as it is for Ozzie to call out one of his players. It also shows me that Uribe is an idiot, so he can hit homeruns as a 2B or a SS...defense wins championships not offense.

I am now scared about him at SS next year if that is a regular occurance, if not...then we got a great player.

And with the Soriano for Garland, would like to see him gone but for somebody that is not super expensive and error prone.

Jerko
09-08-2004, 11:23 AM
So, now you need experience to know how many outs there are? Gee, I've been playing ball since I was 5 and I always remembered. Maybe all those pesky scoreboards that say OUTS: 2 are confusing the poor lad.

Brian26
09-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Why would Ozzie need to tell the media that? Geez.

Fungo
09-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Gotta love Ozzie.WHY?

I wonder if Uribe would fall for the hidden ball trick?

Soxzilla
09-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Ozzie sucks. I wonder if he says all this just to the media and not to the actual players. If I was uribe, I know I'd love to hear that in todays newspaper, and not straight from the horses mouth.

GO OZZIE, YOUR DOIN A DAMN FINE JOB YOURSELF!:bandance:

santo=dorf
09-08-2004, 12:52 PM
WHY?

I wonder if Uribe would fall for the hidden ball trick?LOL! Good one.

Tragg
09-08-2004, 02:02 PM
I wasn't aware that knowledge of the number of outs in an inning was a einsteinian skill, mastered after only several years of playing major league ball.

wdelaney72
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Sounds like the second coming of D'Angelo Jimenez. Maybe Ozzie should purchase a copy of the Tom Emanski base running video for Juan.

DickAllen72
09-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Ozzie sucks. I wonder if he says all this just to the media and not to the actual players. If I was uribe, I know I'd love to hear that in todays newspaper, and not straight from the horses mouth.

GO OZZIE, YOUR DOIN A DAMN FINE JOB YOURSELF!:bandance:

You know, I've been a fan of Ozzie as manager, but I think I'm officially jumping off the Ozzie bandwagon.

The point you made is just one reason. If you read the rest of that Sun-Times article, he also says he'd love to have Valentin back because of his "clutch hitting" even though he's disappointed with his avg. and OBP. Then he goes on to say he doesn't need power from his shortstops, but good defense is essential. Uribe has been playing very well defensively, and is a much better hitter than Valentin.

Yesterday Ozzie puts Wilson Valdez in the game out of position at 2B in his major league debut. Why? He had Uribe at SS, but Juan has played often and well at 2B throughout the year. Why not let the kid make his major league debut at his natural position?

He forced Uribe and Harris to play out of position and Rowand to sit on the bench early in the season just so he could put Valentin, his "leader" in at SS even though he was striking out multiple times a game.

He praised Tori Hunter for playing hard "clean" baseball when Tori went out of his way to hit Burke with a forearm to the jaw. Then he called out un-named players for not sliding hard to break up a DP in the next game. The only one who had the chance to break up a double play was Rowand. When Rowand asked Ozzie if he was referring to him he told Rowand that he wasn't talking about him. Then who was he talking about???

He pitched Diaz yesterday on one day rest after starting Sunday and throwing six innings.

I liked Ozzie and overlooked a lot of these things mostly because he is still an improvement over Manuel, and it's only his first year as a manager. But after his handling of Valdez and Diaz yesterday and his comments about Uribe and Valentin today, I've just about had it. Hopefully he'll improve with experience, just as he commented Uribe needs to do.

GiveMeSox
09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
As cool as it is for Ozzie to call out one of his players. It also shows me that Uribe is an idiot, so he can hit homeruns as a 2B or a SS...defense wins championships not offense.

I am now scared about him at SS next year if that is a regular occurance, if not...then we got a great player.

And with the Soriano for Garland, would like to see him gone but for somebody that is not super expensive and error prone.
Isn't this the same reason Dusty is reffered to as a players manager. The manager backs his players and wont call them out in public. The manager will protect his players and deal with them behind closed doors. That makes players what to come to a team and play for that manager. If Oz continues to rip his own guys when they make a goof or screw up and do it so publically he will get a bad rep in the player community. No one will want to come to the sox and play for ozzie becuase he wont be regarded as a good players manager to play for.

JB98
09-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Isn't this the same reason Dusty is reffered to as a players manager. The manager backs his players and wont call them out in public. The manager will protect his players and deal with them behind closed doors. That makes players what to come to a team and play for that manager. If Oz continues to rip his own guys when they make a goof or screw up and do it so publically he will get a bad rep in the player community. No one will want to come to the sox and play for ozzie becuase he wont be regarded as a good players manager to play for.

I think players need to get thicker skin. If I were being paid millions of dollars to play a kids' game, I think I could withstand a little public criticism.

The jury is out on Ozzie as manager. He's been dealt a tough deck this year. I'm not sure anyone could have managed this team to the playoffs. When and if he gets a team capable of contending, we'll see if he's capable of guiding a team into the postseason.

thezeker
09-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Isn't this the same reason Dusty is reffered to as a players manager. The manager backs his players and wont call them out in public. The manager will protect his players and deal with them behind closed doors. That makes players what to come to a team and play for that manager. If Oz continues to rip his own guys when they make a goof or screw up and do it so publically he will get a bad rep in the player community. No one will want to come to the sox and play for ozzie becuase he wont be regarded as a good players manager to play for.The main reasons players want to come to the Cubs is the same as any team. MONEY!!!! Baker is doing a terrible job with that team this year and it might cost them a trip to the playoffs. He's letting the lunatics run the asylum!!!!

If ever a team needed to be called out this is the team. Maybe you are not watching the same team but this team makes one stupid mistake after another. They should be held accountable. If their feelings are hurt that is too bad. My feelings are hurt each time we lose a game after another bone headed mistake.

Ozzie is having a rough first year but I like his upside. He inherited a team that has a hard time doing the little things it takes to be successful. I'd much rather have someone call these guys out than let this mess continue. Let's judge Ozzie after he gets the kind of players he feels comfortable with. I believe some top free agents will want to come and play for Ozzie because they will respect the way he wants the game to be played.

If Kenny makes the right moves this off season I think Ozzie will have a dynamite second year. There's something so refreshing about a person who tells it like it is. God Bless Him!!!!!

mealfred13
09-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Or maybe you're all just reading WAYYYYY to much into this and haven't yet realized that Ozzie jokes around and likes to exaggerate. Saying "He doesn't know how many outs are on the board" is not necessarily to be taken literally. It's just Ozzie's way of saying, the guy has talent but he's not quite an expert yet.

That aside, I don't give a crap what anyone says about Uribe's defense. He is probably the best defensive player in our infield, and probably the entire field, bar none. The only exception would be Robbie Alomar, who can still turn out some amazing plays at second. I have never been worried with Uribe on defense, and I can recall only 1 or 2 instances where he committed an error....Get over the media reports people.