PDA

View Full Version : Flubs are home team for FLA "home" game

bigfoot
09-08-2004, 12:18 AM
mlb.com has reported that a double-header will scheduled at the Urinal, Sept 10, to make-up for one of the three, weather-delayed games originally to have been played in Florida this past week-end. Both games will have the Cobz as the home team. The Marlins have appealed this part of the decision.

Blueprint1
09-08-2004, 12:50 AM
mlb.com has reported that a double-header will scheduled at the Urinal, Sept 10, to make-up for one of the three, weather-delayed games originally to have been played in Florida this past week-end. Both games will have the Cobz as the home team. The Marlins have appealed this part of the decision.
MLB wants the cubs in the playoffs can't we all see this now.

DrCrawdad
09-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Cubs President Andy MacPhail and player representative Mark Prior had said Saturday the Marlins deserved to have the last at-bat in any rescheduled "home" game in Chicago. - Chicago Cubune

Now Andy & Dusty are backing away from those comments.

mdep524
09-08-2004, 01:13 AM
This whole thing is complete BS. If the situation was reversed, you can bet the Flubbies would be putting up the biggest hissy fit in the history of baseball. I guarantee you the Cubs would not give up a home game at Wrigley to go play at Pro Player.

StillMissOzzie
09-08-2004, 01:49 AM
This whole thing is complete BS. If the situation was reversed, you can bet the Flubbies would be putting up the biggest hissy fit in the history of baseball. I guarantee you the Cubs would not give up a home game at Wrigley to go play at Pro Player.
AND HOW!!! The Marlins, our life-long friends since last year, are getting screwed left and right by this deal:

1) They lose TWO home dates, by getting one game played at Wrigley and getting a double-header foisted upon them,
2) They don't even get the benefit of being the "home" team in front of the hostile (and who could blame them?) sCrUB fans at Wrigley

I can only hope, with all my heart, that these games don't matter, because the sCrUBS will be way out of the wild card hunt by then.

SMO
:gulp:

Jerko
09-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Well, time for Florida to expand their winning streak at the Urinal. Funny how the CHAMPS even have to cater to the flubs. Maybe if MLB would go back to a normal schedule, there would be a few more open dates per team so they could make up these games in the same city they got postponed in. As mdep524 said, there is NO WAY the flubs would have agreed to lose a home game; even if that place fell down to the ground they would have to be dragged out of there kicking and screaming about how unfair everyone is to them. I'm sick of it now. MLB and their rules are starting to become WWE-ish.

bc2k
09-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Maybe if MLB would go back to a normal schedule, there would be a few more open dates per team so they could make up these games in the same city they got postponed in.
Or even easier, just have both teams play one game at Pro Player on October 4th. Done.

Jerko
09-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Or even easier, just have both teams play one game at Pro Player on October 4th. Done.
I agree, but I think part of the reason that they didn't do that is because of the schedule and the poor little flubs having no more days off. Plus they (MLB) wouldn't want the flubs taking any attention away from Oct. 4 just in case they (MLB) need that day for a "playoff" game in case of a tie. The whole thing is stupid and shame on MLB for the decision they made regarding this Friday.

daveeym
09-08-2004, 09:35 AM
AND HOW!!! The Marlins, our life-long friends since last year, are getting screwed left and right by this deal:

1) They lose TWO home dates, by getting one game played at Wrigley and getting a double-header foisted upon them,
2) They don't even get the benefit of being the "home" team in front of the hostile (and who could blame them?) sCrUB fans at Wrigley

I can only hope, with all my heart, that these games don't matter, because the sCrUBS will be way out of the wild card hunt by then.

SMO
:gulp: Well there's precedent for it, earlier this year the same thing happened between sf and montreal and the giants got the home field advantage when it should have been montreal's.

Kogs35
09-08-2004, 10:08 AM
What really should is that they play game 1 friday at 12:00 with no crowd. no 1 in the stands and no1 in the rooftops. the only way to watch the game is on tv. this way the marlins could be the home team, and since the marlins are loosing a home date, the cubs dont gain a thing.

Game2 would start at 4:00 with fans being let in right after the final out. this one would be the normal game being played with the cubs being the home team. if the marlins loose the gate the cubs should not be able to get the bennift from it.

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2004, 10:41 AM
This is a Major League Baseball rule. It's happened several times before, including this year when the Giants, one of the teams chasing the Cubs, got to play an "extra" home game against Montreal.

Fact is, it's a miserable rule that needs to be changed. At least give the Marlins the gate from the second game or donate the funds to a hurricane relief fund.

The rule definitely needs to be changed.

I understand why MLB doesn't want to use the following Monday after the season ends. Too many teams battling for that wild card spot which could create some wild playoff scenarios and the need for that extra day.

TDog
09-08-2004, 10:45 AM
This sort of thing happens more than people realize, although it usually goes unnoticed. The 1970 White Sox, for example, actually played 83 home games because a doubleheader in KC was rained out and made up in Chicago. The Royals ended up winning two games in an empty Comiskey. But those teams weren't competing against each other for a spot in the playoffs. Florida management was putting up a stink at first about all three games needing to be made up in Florida, and they should continue to do so. I would like to see the whole thing become moot with bad things happening to the Cubs.

I am guessing the reason MLB, which wants baseball postseason to finish before November, wants to play these games before the end of the season is that there is such a high mathematical chance a playoff will be needed to break a wild card tie, considering that just about every team with a winning record in the National League is contending. The deeper you go into the standings for playoff teams, the more those teams will be bunched together.

mdep524
09-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Fact is, it's a miserable rule that needs to be changed. At least give the Marlins the gate from the second game or donate the funds to a hurricane relief fund.
Tribune Co. donating profits to charity? :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: Just imagine if MLB asked them to do that. They scalp their own tickets for God's sake!! They're not in the market for reducing profits.

And... another reason this ruling sucks for the Marlins is that the Marlins have a serious homefield advantage over the Cubs. I'm not talking about the crowd or being in your own bed or anything like that- I'm talking about the park. Pro Player Stadium is HUGE, and very difficult to hit homeruns in. And we all know that these days the Cubs offense (much like the Sox) relies entirely on homers. No homers = no runs. The Marlins on the other hand can produce runs without hitting the long ball, giving them a decided advantage at a huge park like Pro Player as opposed to Wrigley, where balls usually fly out.

Brian26
09-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Florida management was putting up a stink at first about all three games needing to be made up in Florida, and they should continue to do so. I would like to see the whole thing become moot with bad things happening to the Cubs.

They have every right in the world to put up a stink. This is absolute BS.

CubKilla
09-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Well there's precedent for it, earlier this year the same thing happened between sf and montreal and the giants got the home field advantage when it should have been montreal's.
Problem here is is that Fla and the sCrUBS are both in wildcard contention. Expos aren't even within sniffing distance.

kittle42
09-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Problem here is is that Fla and the sCrUBS are both in wildcard contention. Expos aren't even within sniffing distance.
Yes, but the Giants are. How was that fair to other contenders?

daveeym
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
The problem here is it has nothing to do with who is in contention it's clearly a league rule or policy applied blindly across MLB when the unfortunate situation occurs.

Nick@Nite
09-08-2004, 03:36 PM
I am guessing the reason MLB, which wants baseball postseason to finish before November, wants to play these games before the end of the season is that there is such a high mathematical chance a playoff will be needed to break a wild card tieThat's a good point.

MLB wouldn't have to deal with the post season possibly bleeding into November if they didn't hand out expansion teams like candy, thereby eliminating the need for a three tiered playoff format.