PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Ozzie Waves the White Flag 9-7-04 Postgame

knocko94
09-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Couldn't watch the game here in Champaign, saw that Garland pitched a third of an inning and got knocked around a bit.

Why was he in there?

DVsoxfan
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Good question...Tonight Ozzie=:drunken: or :smokin:

bafiarocks03
09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Who the heck knows!!:?:

JGarlandrules20
09-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Because Ozzie wanted him to get some work in...?

Brian26
09-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Wilson Valdez starts at second base and makes an error that costs us 6 runs.

When does spring training start?

A. Cavatica
09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Ozzie knows his playoff rotation will be Garcia, Buehrle, and Contreras, so he's getting Garland ready to pitch out of the pen.

kitekrazy
09-07-2004, 10:55 PM

Ozzie ball? Where the logical isn't.

munchman33
09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Perhaps they're gonna let Diaz get more starts, seeing him and Grilli more before the end of the season to see if they need to sign someone else next year. Could also mean they're ready to pull the plug on the Jon Garland experiment.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-07-2004, 10:58 PM

When does spring training start? wow, i thought it would be almost impossible for valdez to be as bad as koch. great, we trade away a relief pitcher who gives up 6 runs for a 2nd baseman who gives up 6 runs :whiner:. good thing I couldn't watch it tonight since it was on WCIU

batmanZoSo
09-07-2004, 11:00 PM

When does spring training start?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/09/06/RSs86CGX.jpg
::hikes up his belt:: "Yep...think I'll stick around."

Iguana775
09-07-2004, 11:00 PM
yea, it's obvious the sox need his talent in the starting rotation...

keep his rear end in the pen.

JGarlandrules20
09-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Wilson Valdez starts at second base and makes an error that costs us 6 runs.Of course its all Valdez's fault. He must have also walked in all those runs..and gave up that 3run double.

Shoeless Joe
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
It was good to see Jeff Bajenaru lower his 81.00 ERA to 20.25, but after that I'm having a hard time to recollect anything positive. My headache only got compounded when I found out that the Twins won today in the ninth and not to mention the sight of Garland coming in relief! Isn't it the other way around!

Huisj
09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
why the heck was diaz in there? didn't he just pitch sunday? maybe i'm wrong about that, I haven't had time the last few days to check on stuff much.

Brian26
09-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Of course its all Valdez's fault. He must have also walked in all those runs..and gave up that 3run double.
Don't even start with me.

RKMeibalane
09-07-2004, 11:23 PM
why the heck was diaz in there? didn't he just pitch sunday? maybe i'm wrong about that, I haven't had time the last few days to check on stuff much.
He did. I'm not sure what Guillen was thinking by putting him out there. I'm not even sure if Guillen was thinking, period. This team has become impossible to watch. I haven't bothered to tune in to a Sox game in several weeks. They gave up once they learned that Frank and Maggs wouldn't be back, and we're the ones who end up suffering for it. I don't blame the Sox for finishing behind Minnesota. The injuries they have suffered prevented them from winning the division. What I can't accept is the way this team has "mailed it in." They're just going through the motions out there, counting the days until the season ends. As far as I'm concerned, it can't end soon enough.

JGarlandrules20
09-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Don't even start with me.sorry..., I just dont think you can blame this loss on him alone.

SomebodyToldMe
09-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Nice game, Jose.

I love seeing 5 walks + 1 hit batter in an inning. Followed by a bases clearing double.

I'm not blaming Valdez on this one. Contreras choked.

Brian26
09-07-2004, 11:26 PM
sorry..., I just dont think you can blame this loss on him alone.
No, I'm not blaming it on him alone. I'm blaming it on him *and* Ozzie's dumb ass for starting him at secondbase. Unbelievable.

Hey, we just won 5 out of 6- time to start debuting minor leaguers at positions they haven't played at before.

batmanZoSo
09-07-2004, 11:31 PM
No, I'm not blaming it on him alone. I'm blaming it on him *and* Ozzie's dumb ass for starting him at secondbase. Unbelievable.

Hey, we just won 5 out of 6- time to start debuting minor leaguers at positions they haven't played at before.
Come on, even the players know it's over. Give it up. Konerko even said yesterday in not so many words that the clubhouse is looser and more relaxed now that they're not in the race.

Brian26
09-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Come on, even the players know it's over. Give it up. Konerko even said yesterday in not so many words that the clubhouse is looser and more relaxed now that they're not in the race.
Cool, the players don't believe in themselves either. Schedule still says they have 6 games left with the bastards who ran us over.

JB98
09-07-2004, 11:41 PM
He did. I'm not sure what Guillen was thinking by putting him out there. I'm not even sure if Guillen was thinking, period. This team has become impossible to watch. I haven't bothered to tune in to a Sox game in several weeks. They gave up once they learned that Frank and Maggs wouldn't be back, and we're the ones who end up suffering for it. I don't blame the Sox for finishing behind Minnesota. The injuries they have suffered prevented them from winning the division. What I can't accept is the way this team has "mailed it in." They're just going through the motions out there, counting the days until the season ends. As far as I'm concerned, it can't end soon enough.

C'mon now. If the team has mailed it in, how come they won four straight games? They've had a lot of games where they fell in a hole early and battled back. I don't think the guys have quit on us at all. The reality is they just aren't very good. We're going to have nights like this one intermittently for the rest of the year.

mdep524
09-07-2004, 11:46 PM
So, does anybody really think that timid Jose Contreras will be a solid starter in the majors with his 95% forkball arsenal? When he uses his fastball aggressively and gets ahead in the count, he's great. But otherwise, he has no mental fortitude, confidence or intelligence to get the job done. Between he and Garland, 40% of our rotation has nothing between the ears. :(:

kittle42
09-07-2004, 11:49 PM
C'mon now. If the team has mailed it in, how come they won four straight games?
Because Seattle is one of the worst teams in baseball and the Rangers made 5 errors.

Parrothead
09-07-2004, 11:55 PM
The injuries they have suffered prevented them from winning the division. What I can't accept is the way this team has "mailed it in." They're just going through the motions out there, counting the days until the season ends. As far as I'm concerned, it can't end soon enough.
Injuries are not a good excuse since every team has them. Good teams overcome injuries. All the injuries did is expose the incredibly weak bench that the Sox have. I think Ozzie has done some incredibly dumb things this year but Kenny and his scouts are to blame to for misjudging thier talent in the minor leagues.:angry:

batmanZoSo
09-08-2004, 12:08 AM
C'mon now. If the team has mailed it in, how come they won four straight games? They've had a lot of games where they fell in a hole early and battled back. I don't think the guys have quit on us at all. The reality is they just aren't very good. We're going to have nights like this one intermittently for the rest of the year.
They won three in a row against a downright terrible Seattle team. That's the second time we've swept them and we played pretty poorly in both series. The team has mailed it in, they know they're done. They're not stupid, they're human beings just like us.

samram
09-08-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm just waiting for Ozzie to start picking lineups out of a hat. It looks he already started doing it with the bullpen assignments.

balke
09-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Injuries are not a good excuse since every team has them. Good teams overcome injuries. All the injuries did is expose the incredibly weak bench that the Sox have. I think Ozzie has done some incredibly dumb things this year but Kenny and his scouts are to blame to for misjudging thier talent in the minor leagues.:angry:

A lot of minor league bashing, when our minor leaguers pitchers were the only thing good about this game. The new kid drops a ball and we blame the game on him, and label him a sham... calm down

Diaz gave up one run in his last start, came out and got out of this jam ("daz take siete maane I see i'nuff"). Then Munoz comes in and they give up 3 hits 0 runs and 3 K's in 5 combined innings. Then Canyonero comes out pitching too. Even Joe B is on his second good game in a row.

From what I heard in the chat Jose wasn't getting strikes called in the second. Ozzie should've came out and had at it with the ump IMO. Should've taken contreres out after at least the 2nd walked in runner IMO. I would've double bagged it IMO. Fact is, Minnie's got playoff tickets on sale, and this season is busted. They could've had their longest win streak of the season, and instead they rose the white flag in the first.

Contreres came out throwing nothing but strikes, got burned by soriano, then avoided the K zone like it was the plague. Our farm system had nothing to do with this loss.

JB98
09-08-2004, 12:45 AM
They won three in a row against a downright terrible Seattle team. That's the second time we've swept them and we played pretty poorly in both series. The team has mailed it in, they know they're done. They're not stupid, they're human beings just like us.

Of course the players know they're done. I'm just saying this notion that the players aren't trying hard enough, or that they'd win more games if they would just give a better effort, is ridiculous. Every single time we lose a game, somebody comes on here and accuses the players of not caring. IMO, that's BS. We are out of the race because we have injuries and because we aren't very good.

mdep524
09-08-2004, 12:49 AM
From what I heard in the chat Jose wasn't getting strikes called in the second. Ozzie should've came out and had at it with the ump IMO. Should've taken contreres out after at least the 2nd walked in runner IMO. I would've double bagged it IMO. Fact is, Minnie's got playoff tickets on sale, and this season is busted. They could've had their longest win streak of the season, and instead they rose the white flag in the first.

Contreres came out throwing nothing but strikes, got burned by soriano, then avoided the K zone like it was the plague. Our farm system had nothing to do with this loss.
Hey balke, take it from a guy who sadly watched this game, the umpire was in NO way responsible for Contreras's lousy performance today.

It was the thing between his ears, or rather the lack there of. He threw one bad pitch to Soriano--on 0-2--and couldn't recover.

Rex Hudler
09-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Have no clue why Diaz would have been in there on ONE day's rest after throwing 98 pitches on Sunday. Must have been an easy 98.

Garland's day to start is tomorrow night (Wed.). Since Garcia is starting tomorrow night, my best guess is that he will go on Friday night. Based on that, I'm sure he wanted to get Garland an inning or so, (replacing a side session) and helping to bridge the gap to Munoz and Baj, keeping Marte and Shingo on the bench when they weren't needed.

soxtalker
09-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Isn't Valdez normally a SS? Why was he playing 2b then?

Baby Fisk
09-08-2004, 10:00 AM
I was enraged early in the game because of the ignoramus Texas broadcast crew I was stuck listening to. First, they blanked out on the name of the Sox manager (:angry: ), then they blanked out on the name of the Sox home field (:angry: ).

Then I notice the EXTRAVAGANT home run celebration they have in Texas. Triple Fireworks! Dramatic Music! Ringing Bells! Holy hooplah, that's how to get under the opponents' skin. I was disheartened by all this, so the rest of the game was accompanied by Deep Purple.

Then I look up and notice Contreras getting shelled, then suddenly Diaz is pitching, then suddenly GARLAND is pitching. ***?! :?: What a brutal, brutal game.

Ever see the Steve McQueen classic "The Sand Pebbles"? I feel like McQueen's character at the end, surrounded by chaos and destruction, screaming "WHAT HAPPENED?! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!" :angry:

Dan H
09-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I don't know what is more baffling: Garland out of the pen or Garland in the starting rotation.