PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Camp: Anyone Ever Gone?

LVSoxFan
09-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Sorry for thinking ahead, but hey: there's only one more home stand left!

Has anyone ever gone down for this? I always thought it would be a kick to build a vacation around this and get an early look at the team.

Where can you get info about down there? Their "official" site, well, you know... sorry, I mean the "MLB" site...

whtsx1959
09-07-2004, 05:35 PM
here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/y2004/st/index.jsp)

LVSoxFan
09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Guess it was there. Thanks for posting.

soxwon
09-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Go its great, every other year i head to florida or arizona, next year Tucson.
you see ball, drink beer in the sun, talk to players, get graphs.
all when its cold here.
well worth it, i find it better to stay in phoenix area, swing to tucson for 2-3 games.

southsideirish71
09-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I have gone with my wife for the last 4 years. I usually plan it so we stay in the Phoenix area and pick up a few games around. The weather is great, the food is good, and the baseball is nice. The tickets are cheap if you get lawn seats. Laying out in 85 degree perfect sunny day in the middle of march drinking a beer watching a sox game is heaven. Its a great experience that people should take on if they have a chance. Just try to avoid the early split squad games as you will rarely see anyone you will recognize. I try and go the last week or so of spring training and you get to see more of the finished product. Last year was the first year that they started selling White Sox spring training stuff in the Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe area. This year we will bring the newest member of the southsideirish family, my son Brendan down to start his fix on the whitesox. He will be 7 months old by then, start them early before they are overrun by cubs crap.

SOX PRIDE!!!!!! :gulp:

Parrothead
09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
It is a lot of fun in Tucson. If you plan it right and the basketball gods are with you you may be able to catch a round of the NCAA tourney. Tucson is a college town so if you are younger go to the bars, it is a lot of fun. Also, Tombstone is about an hour away. Cool town....the O.K. Corral, the Boot hill cemetary. If you are into antiques or geology. In Bisbee there is a bunch of shopping and the Queens Mine tour (make reservation before you go). You can go into the largest strip copper mine in the U.S. You get to go few thousand feet in. There are a couple of caves (Colossal Cave is a dry cave, no reservatioins, but Kartchner Cave is wet and you need reservations) in the Tucson area too. The desert is cool. The saguaro national forest is a cool place to go. Biosphere 2 is within 30 minutes too. Here is a list of stuff to do around Tucson. http://www.visittucson.org/listings/index.cfm?catID=18
:bandance:

Like the others have said Phoenix is not far away either. So if you get bored down there go up there.

cburns
09-07-2004, 08:58 PM
I went to the Sox Spring Training in 94 I believe. Back when they were in Sarasota. It was a real good time, although I was young. I did see Jordan hit a couple home runs in BP.

ewokpelts
09-07-2004, 10:53 PM
It is a lot of fun in Tucson. If you plan it right and the basketball gods are with you you may be able to catch a round of the NCAA tourney. Tucson is a college town so if you are younger go to the bars, it is a lot of fun. Also, Tombstone is about an hour away. Cool town....the O.K. Corral, the Boot hill cemetary. If you are into antiques or geology. In Bisbee there is a bunch of shopping and the Queens Mine tour (make reservation before you go). You can go into the largest strip copper mine in the U.S. You get to go few thousand feet in. There are a couple of caves (Colossal Cave is a dry cave, no reservatioins, but Kartchner Cave is wet and you need reservations) in the Tucson area too. The desert is cool. The saguaro national forest is a cool place to go. Biosphere 2 is within 30 minutes too. Here is a list of stuff to do around Tucson. http://www.visittucson.org/listings/index.cfm?catID=18
:bandance:

Like the others have said Phoenix is not far away either. So if you get bored down there go up there.planning on going with the gf this spring...while i dont mind catching a week's worth of sox/dbacks games...i have a feeling that she'll want to hit more than just TEP.
Gene

doublem23
09-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Right now, I am planning on going to Savannah, Georgia for Spring Break. They host a week-long Ultimate Frisbee tournament down there every year and I have yet to go. We're hoping to send a full squad this year (in the past we've just sent down a handful of players to join with another school and play). However, if that falls through, going to Arizona for White Sox Spring Training is my back-up.

I just got to figure out how to pay for all that. :cool:

Medford Bobby
09-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey do yourself a flavor, go see a White Sox game at Hi-Corbett Field. That's where Bill Veeck first landed the Tribe there back in the 40's and consumed alot of beer:gulp: there. So there's an older feel to the park (even thought the Rockies regret not taking a better deal years ago up in Phoenix)...I've seen Maggalio drive 2 home runs over the score board there...............:bandance:

Man , I love Tucson, it's my adopted home town and plan going back there for Thanksgiving....I wish they kept a team in the Arizona Fall League still in Tucson..................:angry:

Wanne
09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
My personal opinion is...Tucson blows!!! Of course I live in Phoenix and hate driving down there (boring). But that's my opinion. I'm spoiled...I live about 5 minutes from Peoria Sports Complex and not that far from Surprise...so needless to say...I get to see alot of games (and the league I play in at the Sports Complex starts right at the end of spring training. I had heard rumblings that the Sox might move to the Phoenix area at some point...GOD I hope so!

It is alot of fun though. Just remember to take your sun screen!!! I met this woman out there once when I had my kids...she had some kids running around too in the grass by the bullpen. We yakked for quite a while...mostly about kids...the area, etc... then one of her kids standing next to the fence yells at Jamie Moyer, "Hey Dad...DAD...". So I was sittin' there yakkin with his wife for quite a while...and MAN, she's hot!!!

SoxxoS
09-08-2004, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Wanne]My personal opinion is...Tucson blows!!![QUOTE]

That is the understatement of the year. Come to Scottsdale/Tempe/Phoenix area. Much, much more fun.

MikeW
09-08-2004, 10:17 PM
If you are a autograph collector like myself, spring training is the place to be. I went in 1977-78 and 1989 in Sarasota. The players had to walk from the dingy clubhouse to the field at old Payne Park across a parking lot. Spent 5 days in 1977 and 1978 getting everyone's signature except for Richie Zisk and Ron Blomberg. Met Bill Veeck, Sam Hairston, John Carmichael, Frank Lane; talked baseball with Jim Piersall while he was eating breakfast, met former Sox Billy Goodman,Minnie Minoso and Alan Brice during an old timers game that maybe 20 people attended. Also talked to Bobby Bonds and Bob Lemon and met one of my all time favorites Ken Berry in 1989 spring training.

Clembasbal
09-09-2004, 11:04 AM
If you are a autograph collector like myself, spring training is the place to be. I went in 1977-78 and 1989 in Sarasota. The players had to walk from the dingy clubhouse to the field at old Payne Park across a parking lot.Though it is not the same clubhouse, they still have to walk from their filedhouse to the 8 or 26 fields that are there in Tuscon. BTW, if you have a chick friend...ask her to get an autograph and it will be done...make sure you tell them who the guy is before you do this though.

Also, I have been reading a lot about spring training because I love it so much, gone three times in the last four years.

Anyway, here is some news that Tuscon haters and lovers might want to read
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040908soxbits,1,393529.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I like the idea, but that stadium blows