PDA

View Full Version : Sept call-ups

misty60481
09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
I read in the article about Valdez he would be the last of the Sept. call-ups. I wondered how many they can call up and why they wouldnt bring up some more? As long as we have a chance I know Oz is playing his regulars but if we drop out wouldnt it be a chance for some of the other kids to get a few at bats or innings pitched? Also if they decide in the last week of Sept. can they go back and call up some of Char. or Birmingham players? Is it because they have to pay them minimum major league salary???

Rex Hudler
09-07-2004, 09:08 PM
I read in the article about Valdez he would be the last of the Sept. call-ups. I wondered how many they can call up and why they wouldnt bring up some more? As long as we have a chance I know Oz is playing his regulars but if we drop out wouldnt it be a chance for some of the other kids to get a few at bats or innings pitched? Also if they decide in the last week of Sept. can they go back and call up some of Char. or Birmingham players? Is it because they have to pay them minimum major league salary???
They can carry up to 40 players right now, as long as they are all on the 40-man roster. The main reason they don't is that too many players is usually a bad thing. It becomes like spring training where guys struggle to get innings.

There is also a responsibility of clubs to field a competitive team (relatively speaking). There is also the concept of cash. Paying those extra players, extra hotel rooms, added per diems, etc. etc.

It is doubtful they will call up another player, however they can call a player up at anytime.

A. Cavatica
09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
There's not much else down there. The good prospects at Birmingham are both too young and involved in the Southern League playoffs. Most of Charlotte's talent has already been called up, except for Wunsch (apparently still in purgatory) and Nelson (apparently too old, despite probably being a better 2B than Harris and most of the other bodies who have seen time there this season).