PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in miracles?

WhiteSoxFan84
09-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Ever since the Sox fell 9 games out of first place, I've been getting it from Cub fans, as I'm sure many of you have been as well. But I don't respond with any anti-Cub remarks or any of that maybe next year crap. All I've been telling people since late August is, "Wait until the Sox get their 20-game win streak and win the division in the last 2 series of the season". Cub fans are baffled upon hearing this and just don't know what to say except, "Yeh right". Now if you are wondering whether I am seriously thinking this, I don't even know the answer to that question. Part of me will not give up on the Sox until they are 9 games back with 8 games left. Another part of me has pretty much given up on the Sox and has me cheering for Houston and Florida (Giants and Padres are flukes).

But if the Sox do pull off the 20-game win streak and/or somehow make the playoffs, you best believe I'll be there at the end to say loud and proud, I TOLD YA SO.

My question to you is, do you think the Sox can pull off a 20-game win streak? The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.

jordan23ventura
09-07-2004, 02:07 AM
My question to you is, do you think the Sox can pull off a 20-game win streak? The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.
You're joking, right?

jordan23ventura
09-07-2004, 02:08 AM
You're joking, right?
One more thing I'd like to add. As a Sox fan, I wait for next year when we will win it all.

pinwheels3530
09-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Ever since the Sox fell 9 games out of first place, I've been getting it from Cub fans, as I'm sure many of you have been as well. But I don't respond with any anti-Cub remarks or any of that maybe next year crap. All I've been telling people since late August is, "Wait until the Sox get their 20-game win streak and win the division in the last 2 series of the season". Cub fans are baffled upon hearing this and just don't know what to say except, "Yeh right". Now if you are wondering whether I am seriously thinking this, I don't even know the answer to that question. Part of me will not give up on the Sox until they are 9 games back with 8 games left. Another part of me has pretty much given up on the Sox and has me cheering for Houston and Florida (Giants and Padres are flukes).

But if the Sox do pull off the 20-game win streak and/or somehow make the playoffs, you best believe I'll be there at the end to say loud and proud, I TOLD YA SO.

I won't knock you for feeling that way!!:halo: Hope your right!:cheers:

StillMissOzzie
09-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Part of me will not give up on the Sox until they are 9 games back with 8 games left. Another part of me has pretty much given up on the Sox and has me cheering for Houston and Florida (Giants and Padres are flukes).
The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.
I wanted to make my #1000 post something with my usual wit and wisdom, but after listening to Hawk blow some sunshine up my keister during today's Ranger game, I thought I'd answer this instead.

I feel the same way, WSF84, part of me doesn't want to give up until we are mathematically eliminated. Hawk said that this road trip will pretty much decide the AL Central, but that is only because the Sox need to go 8-2 or 9-1, and that includes a sweep of the 3 games vs. the Twinkies. That means 5-2 or 6-1 vs. the Rangers & Angels. And, it would help if the Twinks lost at least two more games than the Sox do during this trip. If both of those things happen, the Sox will be down 2.5 games and they'll play 3 at USCF.

The Sox stated the road trip right by taking advantage of 5 Ranger errors, and are now on a 4 game winning streak.A long shot is the only hope we have left at this point. We have two chances, Slim and None. The road trip will determine if Slim has left town.

My worst fear? That the road trip doesn't go well, and the Twinkies clinch the division at USCF.

SMO
:(:
Did I mention that this is my 1,000th post?

Soxzilla
09-07-2004, 03:06 AM
I have a feeling all of your guys' hopes will be dashed in about....19 hours. Our team just isn't very good right now.

I hope we do it, but I dont think we will. :(:

Realist
09-07-2004, 07:29 AM
It ain't over till it's over.
Stranger things have happened.
"Miracle" comebacks are one of the most beautiful things about sports. That's why I don't leave games early.
The Sox Twins schedule make this comeback a little bit more doable than it appears.
Don't bet on the Sox winning the division.
I think that all these points apply and I think it would be absolutely glorious if the Sox pulled off this "Miracle on Grass". If it happens, will Lil' Bow Wow be able to land the part of Willie Harris for the movie? Let's stay tuned and see what happens!

[The Sox'll prolly narrow the gap to a 3 game deficit and then we'll have 9 threads about the 6 games we should have won that would have taken the division. - the Realist in me :?: ]

mrwag
09-07-2004, 07:54 AM
[The Sox'll prolly narrow the gap to a 3 game deficit and then we'll have 9 threads about the 6 games we should have won that would have taken the division. - the Realist in me :?: ]
Like all the games Koch tried to close?

kittle42
09-07-2004, 09:40 AM
All I've been telling people since late August is, "Wait until the Sox get their 20-game win streak and win the division in the last 2 series of the season". Cub fans are baffled upon hearing this

So am I.

But if the Sox do pull off the 20-game win streak and/or somehow make the playoffs, you best believe I'll be there at the end to say loud and proud, I TOLD YA SO. My question to you is, do you think the Sox can pull off a 20-game win streak? The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.
:dtroll: :gulp: :dtroll: :gulp: :dtroll:

JB98
09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
The only miracle I'm hoping for is for some team in the NL to keep the Cubs out of the playoffs.

tanko
09-07-2004, 11:06 AM
My question to you is, do you think the Sox can pull off a 20-game win streak? The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.[/QUOTE]

NO

Brian26
09-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Can the Sox pull off a 20 game winning streak? No.

Can the Sox win 18 out of 25? Yes.

Just believe.

kittle42
09-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Can the Sox pull off a 20 game winning streak? No.

Can the Sox win 18 out of 25? Yes.

Just believe.
Believing in such a thing can only lead to further heartbreak in yet another season of unfulfilled expectations.

SOXSINCE'70
09-07-2004, 11:53 AM
The only way I believe in Miracles is if Smokey Robinson comes with them.:rolling: :rolling:

PS,don't worry too much about the sCrUBbies,they'll choke in the end,just like they always do.Has there ever been a sCrUBS team more unlikable than this year's model?? Losers and crybabies,all of 'em.:angry: :angry:

Brian26
09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Believing in such a thing can only lead to further heartbreak in yet another season of unfulfilled expectations.

Kittle, I'm going to note that and make sure nobody passes you any champagne in the first week of October when we win this thing.

LASOXFAN
09-07-2004, 12:30 PM
My worst fear? That the road trip doesn't go well, and the Twinkies clinch the division at USCF.

ugh...this would be hell. does god really hate us that much?

NonetheLoaiza
09-07-2004, 12:33 PM
As long as the Sox play fundamental baseball and put together some wins, I will be happy. On the season, I will be extremely disappointed, but I won't stop hoping for a win each time out.

petekat
09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
That has to qualify as one of the best lines of any post i've seen here-can the Sox pull of a 20 game win streak? hey- why not??
ya gotta believe, that should be a poll question- can the Sox win 20 in a row.
stranger things have happened!:smile:

eshunn2001
09-07-2004, 01:34 PM
No, I do not belive in miracles, sorry. :(:

Realist
09-07-2004, 01:47 PM
No, I do not belive in miracles, sorry. :(:You missed two fantastic games (http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/history/a/miracle_on_ice.htm).

eshunn2001
09-07-2004, 02:35 PM
You missed two fantastic games (http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/history/a/miracle_on_ice.htm).
Yes I did, I was born in 1980, I will still watch the Sox everyday, I just don't see them winning anything.

npdempse
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
The only way I believe in Miracles is if Smokey Robinson comes with them.:rolling: :rolling:

That's a good one. If Smokey comes along, as creepy as he is with his balding dreadlocked self these days, I don't want any part of it.

Now stop sounding like Cubs Fans. This season was over around the time when Toriiiiii crushed Burke. The time has long passed to be looking for a division title (do you really want to see us get crushed in the ds anyways?), and to look for glimmers of hope for next year, like two quality starts in a row out of Grilli.

Foulke You
09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Do we have a chance? Certainly. Do we have a good chance? Not really. Our margin for error is extremely small. 7.5 games is doable but the Sox would need to get RED HOT in order to climb back in it which is something they haven't done all year. They've shaved 2 games off the Twins lead in the last 2 days but they need to keep the pressure on the Twins. The longest streak this team has put together this year is 5 wins. The Astros have won 9 straight and are right back in the wild card hunt when nobody thought they had a chance in hell to get back in the race. The Red Sox reeled off about 10 in a row and got back in the AL East race in a hurry. This is the type of run the Sox need to go on if they want to close to within striking distance of the Twins going into our two series against them. I say we need 5 of these next 6 games against Texas and Anaheim and then hopefully get a little help from the Twins opponents.

I'm not sure if the Sox in their current state can win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim, let alone beat Sox nemesis Kenny Rogers tonight. I think 3W-3L is a more likely forecast for our Sox and that won't get the job done with 7.5 games to make up. If they reel off 5 wins in the next 6 games, I may start to believe again. For now, I'm firmly in the Go Marlins/Padres/Giants/Astros camp.

DumpJerry
09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
If the Twinks do not clinch at Comiskey, they will go to Cleveland for three games and then the Yanks for three to close out the season. Now, some have posted that it is dangerous to play the Yanks in the last series of the season because they will be playing for their lives to stay ahead of the BoSox. True. But.........the fact that they will be staring the BoSox in their rear view mirror says a lot about how well their season has gone given the large lead they had just three weeks or so ago. Also, they really looked like they were playing for their lives when the Tribe just got by them 22-0 at The House Ruth Built.......We need to play out game and ignore what the Twinks do in their non-White Sox games, we can't control those games.

The Critic
09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Read in the paper today that if the Twinks go 12-13 in their final 25 games, the Sox would have to go 20-6 to catch them.
I just can't bring myself to believe that they've got that kind of run in them, nor do I think the Twinks will play much worse than .500 the rest of the way.
I think we'd all love to see it, whether that would make us "right" or "wrong", but I honestly can't see it happening.

Brian26
09-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Read in the paper today that if the Twinks go 12-13 in their final 25 games, the Sox would have to go 20-6 to catch them.
I just can't bring myself to believe that they've got that kind of run in them

This stat doesn't look as bad when you consider the White Sox play the Twins 6 times in these remaining games. The Sox can control their own destiny. What happens if they win 5 of 6 from the Twins?:

Then if the Twins go 11-8 in the remaining games, the Sox have to go 15-5.
If the Twins go 10-9, the Sox can go 14-6. If the Twins go 9-10 (not impossible), the Sox can go 13-7 (not impossible).

Just believe, baby.

LVSoxFan
09-07-2004, 03:39 PM
This stat doesn't look as bad when you consider the White Sox play the Twins 6 times in these remaining games. The Sox can control their own destiny. What happens if they win 5 of 6 from the Twins?:

Then if the Twins go 11-8 in the remaining games, the Sox have to go 15-5.
If the Twins go 10-9, the Sox can go 14-6. If the Twins go 9-10 (not impossible), the Sox can go 13-7 (not impossible).

Just believe, baby.
Sure that'd be great... but then what? Too many holes in our lineup to think we're going to get through teams like Anaheim or Boston or, gulp, the Yankees.

I think it would be fun to give Minnesota fits before they win the division, but I also hope that Ozzie is using this last month as the testing ground for what's going to be the 2005 Sox. Why not? We've got nothing to lose, if you concede we've already lost the division.

Nard
09-07-2004, 04:06 PM
I hate all that "the blah blah has to win 200 straight games with the other team having to play approximately .145 ball blah blah."

It would be reasonable to talk about pure W-Ls like that if two teams had similar schedules and didn't play each other.

We have SIX GAMES with the Twinkies.

As has been said, we control our own destiny.

whtsx1959
09-07-2004, 04:32 PM
were gunna need some help from cleveland (last 2weekends are twins vs indians)

LVSoxFan
09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Optimism's great and I love the Sox, but there's too many "Well if this happens" necessary for us to somehow overcome the Twinkies and win the Central.

I'd rather see Ozzie use the month to build for 2005 than pursue a mathematically scarce chance that we somehow luck into the title, then get to face teams like the Yankees, Oakland, Boston or Anaheim--with our current patched-together lineup.

Hell, they've won four in a row--four!--since they stopped obsessing over trying to keep in it with Minnesota (which arguably they shouldn't have been obsessing over before), let's keep that up!

I'd rather walk into the title with a complete team than somehow gut it out for a last-minute upset, only to get smoked in the playoffs when our weaknesses will be laid bare...

JGarlandrules20
09-07-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm sick of all the numbers..'we have to go blah and blah and the twins have to go blah and blah.'

The sox just have to play like they can. They have nothing to lose.

MRKARNO
09-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Well our playoff odds have increased to 7.75% according to BP's playoff odds and that's a good sign. That compares very favorably to Anaheim's chance of winning the WC, 4% which is astonishingly low considering they are only 4 back and we're 7.5 back. I have to say that for the first time in a while, I seriously believe we've got a shot at this thing. It's a longshot, but anything is possible. There have been much bigger collapses in the history of baseball and the fact that we're about as good of a team as the Twins will help us as well.

Tragg
09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
It will take a miracle
We'll need to go on an Astro-like 10 game winning streak- but not against Cincy and Pitt and Milwaukee, but against Texas, California and the Twins.
And the Twins will have to play 300 ball or so against us, Detroit and whoever else they have

Indeed, miracle is the apt description.

WikdChiSoxFan
09-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Let tonights game be a lesson in karma for you all!

If every Sox fan would go on there happy pessimistic way, we might just win a few here and there. Everytime someone gets all "20 game win streak"-ish on us it is a horrible day the next.

Bah! I'm as frustrated as the rest of you!

kittle42
09-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Hopefully, this thread will now go away.

Whitesox029
09-07-2004, 10:11 PM

My question to you is, do you think the Sox can pull off a 20-game win streak? The schedule gets pretty easy after this week with 6 games vs. Minnesota.Quite simply, No, I do not believe this is possible.

DumpJerry
09-07-2004, 11:03 PM
ok, the fellas played for this.......

:chickenlittle
It's now true.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Dan H
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
An old friend of mine who happens to be a Cub fan would forever say, "If the Cubs would just win 20 out their next 25, they will be in great shape." Obviously any team that does that would be in great shape. I would have to tell him that the Cubs, as usual, did not have ability to win 20 out of their next 25. There is no way the Sox can win 20 in a row or win 20 out of their next 25.

Having said that, I would hope the team would still put out an effort as if they really had a chance. There is no excuse for giving up even things look as bleak as they do. But Sox fans should not revert to being like Cub fans.