PDA

View Full Version : Does El Caballo have a shot at a Gold Glove?

santo=dorf
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Carlos has yet to committ an error this year and has 9 assists. Also, do they give out gold glove at each outfield position, or do they just give it to the top 3 outfielders?

nodiggity59
09-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Carlos has yet to committ an error this year and has 9 errors. Also, do they give out gold glove at each outfield position, or do they just give it to the top 3 outfielders?
Wait, he's yet to commit an error this year but he has 9? I dont get it:?:

santo=dorf
09-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Wait, he's yet to commit an error this year but he has 9? I dont get it:?:
Fixed it. :D:

stl_sox_fan
09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I believe he meant no errors and 9 assists this year. I didn't realize he had been so solid in the field. I can remember when pop flies were an adventure with him. Actually he and Carl Crawford are the only left fielders to not commit an error this season.
There are three gold glove awards handed out in the outfield. I'm not sure if it's by position or the top three outfielders.

santo=dorf
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I believe he meant no errors and 9 assists this year. I didn't realize he had been so solid in the field. I can remember when pop flies were an adventure with him. Actually he and Carl Crawford are the only left fielders to not commit an error this season.
There are three gold glove awards handed out in the outfield. I'm not sure if it's by position or the top three outfielders.Crawford has committed one error. Here are the stats for all AL outfielders.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats/cws_sortable_player_stats.jsp?baseballScope=AL&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=O&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2004&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

Does anyone else agree with Chimp Caray that offensive numbers count towards winning a gold glove?

DickAllen72
09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Having committed no errors so far, and being as aggressive as he has been in the field, he should have a good shot at a Gold Glove. Actually, he made himself into a pretty good fielder last year.

However, unfortuneately Carlos has the "reputation" of being a bad fielder due to his earlier years, and that's hard to shake, especially among those who don't watch him every day. Therefore, I think his chances of getting a Gold Glove award are slim to none. It's not really fair, but neither is life.

stl_sox_fan
09-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Crawford has committed one error. Here are the stats for all AL outfielders.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats/cws_sortable_player_stats.jsp?baseballScope=AL&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=O&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2004&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

Does anyone else agree with Chimp Caray that offensive numbers count towards winning a gold glove?
Hmm, ESPN has Crawford with no errors. The category is left fielders however.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2004&seasonType=2&split=83&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=fieldingPct

I have heard that Reputation rather than Statistics have played into voting. Hope Lee can be the 1st Sox outfielder in almost 25 years.

santo=dorf
09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Hmm, ESPN has Crawford with no errors. The category is left fielders however.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2004&seasonType=2&split=83&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=fieldingPct

I have heard that Reputation rather than Statistics have played into voting. Hope Lee can be the 1st Sox outfielder in almost 25 years.
If you go to CF and click on "unqualified," you'll see Carl committed an error playing CF.

TimoPerez
09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Gold Gloves go to the top three outfielders, not by position. You have to figure Ichiro will win one. Torii Hunter is always good, and Vernon Wells has been very good, alhtough he was injured for part of the season. I am sure that there are others I am forgetting as well. I don't think Carlos Lee will get a Gold Glove, but it would be a pleasant surprise.

rwcescato
09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Gold Gloves go to the top three outfielders, not by position. You have to figure Ichiro will win one. Torii Hunter is always good, and Vernon Wells has been very good, alhtough he was injured for part of the season. I am sure that there are others I am forgetting as well. I don't think Carlos Lee will get a Gold Glove, but it would be a pleasant surprise.
I am pretty sure it goes to the player that has the best fielding percentage.
So I would think that he is rated number 1 with 1.000 feilding percentage.
It would be nice if he got it.

TimoPerez
09-06-2004, 11:11 PM
It would be nice if he got it.That is extremely untrue. I hope that you meant to hit the green button before you wrote that.

Jjav829
09-06-2004, 11:17 PM
It would be nice if he got it.
Actually gold gloves are determined by manager/coach voting from each league. AL managers vote for AL gold gloves, NL for NL but they can't vote for their own players. I doubt C. Lee has much of a chance. As was already mentioned, figure Ichiro and Hunter have already locked up two of the three gold gloves for outfielders. The last one will probably go to Vlad with guys like Vernon Wells or Crawford fighting to beat him.

TimoPerez
09-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Actually gold gloves are determined by manager/coach voting from each league. AL managers vote for AL gold gloves, NL for NL but they can't vote for their own players. I doubt C. Lee has much of a chance. As was already mentioned, figure Ichiro and Hunter have already locked up two of the three gold gloves for outfielders. The last one will probably go to Vlad with guys like Vernon Wells or Crawford fighting to beat him.
I don't think Vlad will get it. He has a strong arm, but his glove isn't really anything special. Vernon Wells has been great this year, but I don't know if he will get it either. It will be close for the third one.

Jjav829
09-06-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think Vlad will get it. He has a strong arm, but his glove isn't really anything special. Vernon Wells has been great this year, but I don't know if he will get it either. It will be close for the third one.
I think that cannon arm he has is enough to give him the glove. I doubt the managers are breaking out stats looking at fielding percentage and range factor. They're more likely to grab the first three names they think of. Vlad still has some decent range and his arm is enough to stick in the managers minds.

Soxzilla
09-06-2004, 11:25 PM
WHAT ABOUT TIMO AND HIS ARM!:bandance:

JGarlandrules20
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I dont know if he has a shot at it, but he definitely deserves it.

Other than sometimes holding the ball too long, he's been a stud in LF this year.

kittle42
09-07-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm shocked you don't want to give the award to Timo Perez.

TimoPerez
09-07-2004, 03:27 PM
I think that cannon arm he has is enough to give him the glove. I doubt the managers are breaking out stats looking at fielding percentage and range factor. They're more likely to grab the first three names they think of. Vlad still has some decent range and his arm is enough to stick in the managers minds.
His arm has been there in past years with the Expos and he hasn't gotten it. Are you sure that managers vote?

TimoPerez
09-07-2004, 03:28 PM
WHAT ABOUT TIMO AND HIS ARM!:bandance:
Why is that green?(The previous sentence should be semi-green because I would love to see that happen!)

TimoPerez
09-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm shocked you don't want to give the award to Timo Perez.
Now that I think about it...Yes...It is Hunter, Ichiro, and Timo. Perfect.

SOXSINCE'70
09-07-2004, 03:30 PM
In answer to your question,NO.

He has gotten better on "D",but there's still a ways to go.

kittle42
09-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Sure Lee has a shot at a gold glove - the only question is whom is he going to mug to get one?

bobj4400
09-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Sure Lee has a shot a a gold glove - the only question is who is he going to mug to get one?
Thank you for finally adding some common sense to this thread. CLee has improved immensely in the outfield and I have no problem with his defense, but he is not even close to a gold glove caliber outfielder...

jeremyb1
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
However, unfortuneately Carlos has the "reputation" of being a bad fielder due to his earlier years, and that's hard to shake, especially among those who don't watch him every day. Therefore, I think his chances of getting a Gold Glove award are slim to none. It's not really fair, but neither is life.

You hit the nail on the head. Gold gloves are flawed like the MVP, ROY, and Cy Young in that they're based entirely on opinion and reputation. At least the other awards have some measuring sticks that generally create some objectivity even if they're irrelevant measuring sticks like RBIs and Wins. With the Gold Gloves there is only errors and assists really which are even more inferior measuring sticks. The awards are based almost entirely on riduclous subjective evaluations such as whether a player seems like a good athlete, quick, looks smooth making plays (as opposed to simply doing a good job making them), etc. Just a few years ago Palmeiro won at 1B when he played only 20 or 30 games there. They are just ridiculous awards.

Randar68
09-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Carlos has yet to committ an error this year and has 9 assists. Also, do they give out gold glove at each outfield position, or do they just give it to the top 3 outfielders?
I don't have time to read this thread, but I'll add a quick comment:

The Gold Glove is based on perception. Carlos is not perceived to be a strong fielder, so there you have it.

MisterB
09-07-2004, 08:31 PM
The Gold Glove lost all meaning in '99 when Palmeiro won it with only 28 games played in the field. It's just another popularity/reputation contest.