PDA

View Full Version : Rant about my friend the Cubs fan

illinibk
09-06-2004, 03:59 PM
This weekend, I was out with some friends, and one friend asked our other friend and myself which stadium was better, Wrigley or the Cell. I naturally said the cell, and my friend said Wrigley. He is a Cubs fan so I have no problem with him saying that. But his reason made absolutely no sense to me. I was so dumbfounded by his response, I couldn't even formulate a proper rebuttal. His reason for the Urinal being better was because "the fans there know more about baseball." How does one respond to that? Had he said he likes going to Wrigley because of the "scenery" and high level of female talent, I wouldn't have thought twice about what he said. But since when have the fans at Wrigley been knowledgeable baseball fans? The sheer idiocy of his claim makes me wonder how he ever graduated college. The fact that he doesn't know a thing about baseball iritates me even more. In fact, last year, my friend's brother was interviewed by WGN in Miami during the NLCS , and was asked Cubs trivia, to which he didn't get any of the right answers, perfectly reflected the "knowledge" of Cubs fans. Needless to say, the baseball stupidity runs strong between the two brothers.

Honestly, how can anyone claim that the masses at Wrigley know more about baseball?

Ok, thats the end of my rant for now...until I get pissed again and have to post about it again.

Erik The Red
09-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Heh, my cousin is kinda the same way. The way I keep him from going on and on about the Cubs now, is that I just wear my Cardinals hat whenever we hang out :D:

SOXSINCE'70
09-06-2004, 05:52 PM
My brother in law is one of the few sCrUBS fans who actually knows what he's talking about.He says Sox Park is a "good place to watch a game",but he prefers the Urinal.My brother in law is also that rarity that can tell tell you what happened at the sCrUBS game,and why they won or lost.

Wish all those GEN X,Y and Z'ers could do that.:gulp: :gulp:

Dub25
09-06-2004, 06:09 PM
I had a knucklehead Cub fan friend of mine tell me the Cubs should blow up the urinal and move to the suburbs. I told him that was the dumbest idea I have heard him spit out to date. He says the Cubs are tapped out revenue wise because they don't make any money on parking. Boo Hoo I said, you have a traveling pack of ass clowns that fill the park everyday just so they can say they were there. Then I asked him what happens when the buzz of a new park wears off after a couple years or so and the attendance starts to go down. He said it would not because Wrigleyville has nothing to do with the attendance. At this point another one of my cub fan friends even had to tell him he is an idiot for making this statement and that the neighborhood indeed helps the Cubs attendance. This friend I respect because he knows what is going on. The other knucklehead also has said that he would rather make the playoffs 10 years in a row without winning the World Series instead of winning 1 world series. It's amazing what comes out of his mouth. Better yet, before I met this guy I guess he was a Sox fan. Thank God, we don't need a guy like this on our side. I love reminding him that he was a sox fan and he is not a real Cub fan when he starts talking about the Flubs.

fquaye149
09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
I had a knucklehead Cub fan friend of mine tell me the Cubs should blow up the urinal and move to the suburbs. I told him that was the dumbest idea I have heard him spit out to date. He says the Cubs are tapped out revenue wise because they don't make any money on parking. Boo Hoo I said, you have a traveling pack of ass clowns that fill the park everyday just so they can say they were there. Then I asked him what happens when the buzz of a new park wears off after a couple years or so and the attendance starts to go down. He said it would not because Wrigleyville has nothing to do with the attendance. At this point another one of my cub fan friends even had to tell him he is an idiot for making this statement and that the neighborhood indeed helps the Cubs attendance. This friend I respect because he knows what is going on. The other knucklehead also has said that he would rather make the playoffs 10 years in a row without winning the World Series instead of winning 1 world series. It's amazing what comes out of his mouth. Better yet, before I met this guy I guess he was a Sox fan. Thank God, we don't need a guy like this on our side. I love reminding him that he was a sox fan and he is not a real Cub fan when he starts talking about the Flubs.

why is that a dumb idea? the cubs are the suburbs' teams already, and they're borderline suburb locationwise right now. It would also put some distance between the two teams and help to polarize the metro area as far as allegiance (as if that needed any help:) )

DumpJerry
09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
why is that a dumb idea? the cubs are the suburbs' teams already, and they're borderline suburb locationwise right now. It would also put some distance between the two teams and help to polarize the metro area as far as allegiance (as if that needed any help:) )Suburbs? Pshaw! Mars is where they belong!
A Flub fan I know when to his first game ever at Comiskey this weekend. He could not stop raving about our park! Thinks it is much nicer than The Urinal, the fans knew more about baseball and, get this, HAS A REAL NICE NEIGHBORHOOD AROUND IT! All this despite being yelled at for wearing a Flubs' hat (I told him he was asking for it).

I expect if his name is known, he will face a lifetime ban from the Urinal.

illinibk
09-06-2004, 08:38 PM
This weekend, I was out with some friends, and one friend asked our other friend and myself which stadium was better, Wrigley or the Cell. I naturally said the cell, and my friend said Wrigley. He is a Cubs fan so I have no problem with him saying that. But his reason made absolutely no sense to me. I was so dumbfounded by his response, I couldn't even formulate a proper rebuttal. His reason for the Urinal being better was because "the fans there know more about baseball." How does one respond to that? Had he said he likes going to Wrigley because of the "scenery" and high level of female talent, I wouldn't have thought twice about what he said. But since when have the fans at Wrigley been knowledgeable baseball fans? The sheer idiocy of his claim makes me wonder how he ever graduated college. The fact that he doesn't know a thing about baseball iritates me even more. In fact, last year, my friend's brother was interviewed by WGN in Miami during the NLCS , and was asked Cubs trivia, to which he didn't get any of the right answers, perfectly reflected the "knowledge" of Cubs fans. Needless to say, the baseball stupidity runs strong between the two brothers.

Honestly, how can anyone claim that the masses at Wrigley know more about baseball?

Ok, thats the end of my rant for now...until I get pissed again and have to post about it again.
I suppose in my original post I also should have mentioned that my friend likes Mariotti as well. That all but sums up his hatred for the Cell.