PDA

View Full Version : Yankees about to receive a free win?

Jjav829
09-06-2004, 12:44 PM
The Devil Rays and Yankees are scheduled to play a double header in New York today. One problem though, the Devil Rays are not even in New York yet. The Yankees pushed back the start time to 3:00 est to allow the Rays more time to get to NY. As of 11:40 est the Rays were still in Tampa. If they can't get out soon, the Yankees might receive either 1 or 2 free wins as Tampa might have to forfeit the games. Lucky break for the Yankees if it does happen.

MRKARNO
09-06-2004, 12:59 PM
The Yankees AND MLB told the D-Rays to get the hell out of Tampa before the storm hit so that something like this wouldnt happen. The D-Rays D-layed in spite of the wishes of MLB and the Yankees and now they're going to be late at least for the first game. The D-Rays tried to instead sit and hope that those games against the Tigers would be played in their dome. I think the D-Rays deserve to forfeit both games for their idiocy. The Yankees even tried to accomodate them by moving the start time for the doubleheader back to 3 PM, but the D-Rays still couldnt make it. It's unfair for the Yankees to have to sit and wait for the D-Rays and then have to play 2.

The Yankees though would gladly take one forfeit and then not have to pitch Loaiza and instead be able to pitch El Duque in the one game that they would have to play.

balke
09-06-2004, 01:21 PM
The Yankees AND MLB told the D-Rays to get the hell out of Tampa before the storm hit so that something like this wouldnt happen. The D-Rays D-layed in spite of the wishes of MLB and the Yankees and now they're going to be late at least for the first game. The D-Rays tried to instead sit and hope that those games against the Tigers would be played in their dome. I think the D-Rays deserve to forfeit both games for their idiocy. The Yankees even tried to accomodate them by moving the start time for the doubleheader back to 3 PM, but the D-Rays still couldnt make it. It's unfair for the Yankees to have to sit and wait for the D-Rays and then have to play 2.

The Yankees though would gladly take one forfeit and then not have to pitch Loaiza and instead be able to pitch El Duque in the one game that they would have to play.
I heard on ESPN RADIO that players were refusing to play in this game , and irrate that MLB was trying to make them travel during the upcoming storm. From what I hear it's a very long trip north with this storm, due to the flood of people evacuating. These weather conditions are not optimal for travel anyhow. I wouldn't blame the players for staying home and taking the loss, it's not worth their life.

Paulwny
09-06-2004, 01:36 PM

The vast majority of the DRay players didn't want their families left alone when the hurricane hit. Who can blame them for wanting to be with their families at this time ? How many here would leave their families? It's not as if these games can't eventually be made up if they mean anything in the final standings.
As for the possible forfeiture, mlb has some kind of "natural disaster rule" which would negate any forfeiture. Let's see if they use it.

beckett21
09-06-2004, 01:38 PM
I think that staying home with your family during a hurricane is FAR more important than following the orders of MLB to go and play a game.

Sorry, but screw the Yankees and MLB. If Tampa is forced to forfeit, this speaks very poorly on MLB in general IMO. Anyone not in their position has no right to tell them what they must or must not do. GMAB.

Brian26
09-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Talk about a travesty of justice if the Yankees are given 2 free wins today essentially due to a hurricane. Asbolutely unbelievable. If I was a Carmines fan, I'd be livid.

Jjav829
09-06-2004, 03:39 PM
I think that staying home with your family during a hurricane is FAR more important than following the orders of MLB to go and play a game.

Sorry, but screw the Yankees and MLB. If Tampa is forced to forfeit, this speaks very poorly on MLB in general IMO. Anyone not in their position has no right to tell them what they must or must not do. GMAB.
Absolutely. Who cares about the games. These people have houses and families there. The last thing on their mind is their meaningless game against the Yankees. I would think this goes for any major league player. Let's face it, they are the Devil Rays too. It's not like these games mean anything for them in the long run. They aren't exactly in a hurry to go continue their pennant run. I'm sure they'd rather forfeit the games than leave their families stranded.

MRKARNO
09-06-2004, 06:05 PM
The vast majority of the DRay players didn't want their families left alone when the hurricane hit. Who can blame them for wanting to be with their families at this time ? How many here would leave their families? It's not as if these games can't eventually be made up if they mean anything in the final standings.
As for the possible forfeiture, mlb has some kind of "natural disaster rule" which would negate any forfeiture. Let's see if they use it.
I dont see why the team couldnt accomodate their families and have them stay in NY during the hurricane, especially if there was a suggested evacuation order out anyways.

doublem23
09-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Whatever screws the Red Sox....

zach23
09-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Whatever screws the Red Sox....

The Red Sox fans should sing their lame "Tessie" song to the hurricane to make it go away and help the DRays get to NY.

Soxzilla
09-06-2004, 08:58 PM
The red sox are cursed.

We should call this hurricane......El BamBino.

SomebodyToldMe
09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
The red sox are cursed.

I'm nominating that for post of the week.

That's some good stuff.

Paulwny
09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Piniella defends his players,

"I know the Yankees are in a pennant race, but I also know that our kids are young and have a lot of young kids at home. There was flooding, there are a lot of things that occurred over a two-day period in Florida, and I think everybody was more comfortable being with their family than being in New York sitting in a hotel waiting to play a baseball game.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spdside073958905sep07,0,7966780.story?coll=ny-yankees-print

Fenway
09-08-2004, 07:26 PM
The red sox are cursed.

umm this is HELPING Boston

well The Yanks and Fighting Seaweed rained out again and will try to play 2 tomorrow (Thursday) Frances has other ideas.

Nobody has a clue how these games can be made up as the Seaweed and Yankees have no common open dates.

Nice job Bud

http://images.ibsys.com/sh/images/weather/auto/at_ir_loop_640x480.gif