PDA

View Full Version : You saw it first at WSI...

TornLabrum
09-05-2004, 11:12 PM
I had a conversation at the game today with Nancy Faust. At about the same time I was writing last week's "Fallen Arches" column several messages were posted here about how Nancy seems to have gotten more playing time.

Lo, and behold! Nancy tells me that reporters from a couple of newspapers have contacted her mentioning that she seems to be getting more playing time and have asked to write features about her.

Does anybody wonder where the papers get their ideas for writing stories about the Sox?

DrCrawdad
09-05-2004, 11:40 PM
I had a conversation at the game today with Nancy Faust. At about the same time I was writing last week's "Fallen Arches" column several messages were posted here about how Nancy seems to have gotten more playing time.

Lo, and behold! Nancy tells me that reporters from a couple of newspapers have contacted her mentioning that she seems to be getting more playing time and have asked to write features about her.

Does anybody wonder where the papers get their ideas for writing stories about the Sox?

I love Nancy's tunes. The more of Nancy and the less of the pre-recorded music the better.

TornLabrum
09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
I love Nancy's tunes. The more of Nancy and the less of the pre-recorded music the better.That reminds me...Somebody asked me last week to let her know we'd all love to hear "Runaround Sue" during pitching changes. The short answer as to why she doesn't play it is that she is only allowed to play "Na-Na-Hey-Hey."

I imagine that's due to the other stuff going on. I'm guessing they don't have the time to fit her in. That's too bad, and I'm saying that as a Nancy Faust fan and as a Dion fan.

Soxzilla
09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
I love Nancy's tunes. The more of Nancy and the less of the pre-recorded music the better.
unless we are talking about zombie nation.

The zombie nation song is key.

Oooooaaaa-oooooooooaaaaoooooaaaaaa DU DU DU DU DU.

1951Campbell
09-06-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm one of those "young baseball fans" that clubs want to cater to. I'm under 30. And so is my wife, who's only 18 days older than me.

The consensus: no rock 'n' roll, and Nancy Faust all the time, and between each half inning.

Marketing guys: the ballpark is cool precisely because there's "old timey" organ music--nay, the best organist in MLB--playing at The Cell.

daveeym
09-06-2004, 01:04 AM
That reminds me...Somebody asked me last week to let her know we'd all love to hear "Runaround Sue" during pitching changes. The short answer as to why she doesn't play it is that she is only allowed to play "Na-Na-Hey-Hey."

I imagine that's due to the other stuff going on. I'm guessing they don't have the time to fit her in. That's too bad, and I'm saying that as a Nancy Faust fan and as a Dion fan.
That sucks and doesn't make much sense. Too bad, run around sue is a great song and it's a great sing along song for the crowd. :(:

LuvSox
09-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Every time I go to a game I make it a point to stop and say hi to Nancy. She is, honestly, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Go see her, she's great!

BainesHOF
09-06-2004, 02:56 AM
I'm a huge rock and roll fan who goes to a lot of shows. That said, the less blaring rock music at the park, the better. Let Nancy play all the time. The blaring music is ridiculous at the park. All it does is create an inapproprate "hard" aural atmosphere.

Realist
09-06-2004, 09:17 AM
More Nancy!! More Nancy!! More Nancy!!

Mark me down as a "yes" to bringing back "Runaround Sue".

YES

More Nancy!! (she should be ORDERED to play "Runaround Sue")
Pinwheels!
Exploding Scoreboard (well, you know what I mean)
Outfield Shower
White Sox Murals Painted on the Walls of the Ramps by Students and Artists
A White Sox World Series Championship in My Lifetime (I know that there's supposed to be "no crying in baseball", but dammit... I wanna cry!)
Green/Grey Seats :tongue:

misty60481
09-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I know I am old codger but I would like to hear Nancy play " Turn out the lights, the parties over " when a pitcher gets knocked out... it is old Willie Nelson song...She is part of Sox history....

Brian26
09-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Runaround Sue after an opposing pitching change is one of the great memories I have of those early 80's teams in the old park. You can just imagine the hazy air, filled with smoke after a White Sox homerun. The old park filled to the rafters. And out comes Doug Rader or Joe Altobelli to yank their starting pitcher.

Irishsox1
09-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I love Nancy's music and getting the refrences to the songs in realation to the action on the field, but I also like the CD music. So, a nice mix would be great, but have Nancy be the majority and the CD music the fill in.

Hitmen77
09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Excellent!! It sounds like the new Sox marketing regime (Boyer) is more in touch with the fans.

I never understood the Sox's fascination with pre-recorded music over using the legendary Nancy Faust. Every other team understood that people love a retro atmosphere at the ballpark but the Sox management blindly followed surveys showing that people want the taped music.

GiveMeSox
09-06-2004, 04:39 PM

Does anybody wonder where the papers get their ideas for writing stories about the Sox?Not as a joke but can we got some legal representation here. Is anyone a lawyer, or have a close lawyer friend or family. My sister is a lawyer. This just seems really fishy and has for some time now. Its like they (local media) are stealing our ideas. This is BS.

TornLabrum
09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Not as a joke but can we got some legal representation here. Is anyone a lawyer, or have a close lawyer friend or family. My sister is a lawyer. This just seems really fishy and has for some time now. Its like they (local media) are stealing our ideas. This is BS.
Interestingly enough, my article was emailed to George the same day a similar topic appeared on the message boards. I think that shows how much in tune we are with what is going on with the White Sox, and how out of touch the reporters are that they notice something after it appears here.

Well, maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe the use WSI to make it appear as if they are in tune with what the fans are thinking.

petekat
09-06-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a law degree, so dabble in the law. We don't really have any actionable legal ground here- someone posts an idea on the internet, someone else runs with it. Wouldn't really be plagiarism unless you published the idea somewhere. Nevertheless, reporters would generally be really reluctant to steal anything directly from something they picked up on the internet, given the downside risk.

I share my season ticks with several Trib reporters, including Kass. I'll ask them what standard protocol is.

Not as a joke but can we got some legal representation here. Is anyone a lawyer, or have a close lawyer friend or family. My sister is a lawyer. This just seems really fishy and has for some time now. Its like they (local media) are stealing our ideas. This is BS.

DrCrawdad
09-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Faust still in tune with White Sox fans
By Melissa Isaacson
Tribune staff reporter

September 6, 2004, 10:22 PM CDT

The detached voice in her headset dictates her next move. "Charge, Nancy," says the manager of scoreboard operations and production for the White Sox, and Nancy Faust dutifully responds.

She finally got up the guts not long ago to ask if she could improvise a little and play any version of "Charge" she wanted, and was grateful when her request was approved.

As she awaits her next cue, the U.S. Cellular Field disc jockey filling the time with a little Metallica, Faust greets one of an endless stream of well-wishers filing by her 7-by-12-foot booth on the 100-level concourse behind home plate.

They used to wave to her through a window until a food stand was set up in front of it, at which point she asked if she could please keep her door open so that fans could poke their heads in. Still, signs directing fans to locations of interest inside the park ignores her booth, and it wasn't until Bob Wood, the author of "Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks," wrote a letter to White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf that she got her name on the door.

What tool said this...

And yet one former Sox executive told her not long ago that the people who tell her they love her are not unlike those who shake the president's hand. "You don't have any idea how many fans are sitting in the stands saying 'Nancy stinks,'" he said.

pinwheels3530
09-07-2004, 02:50 AM
the Sox better not make a bad PR move by letting her go.......35yrs plus at Sox games that's amazing! On a side note on my road trip to Pittsburgh & Cleveland the 7th inning stretch at both of those places count compare to ours. The way we do it on the south side with passion is the best! It made realize and appreciate how good we have it here!:smile: GO SOX!!!!! GO NANCY!!!!!

pinwheels3530
09-07-2004, 02:59 AM
More Nancy!! More Nancy!! More Nancy!!

Mark me down as a "yes" to bringing back "Runaround Sue".

YES

More Nancy!! (she should be ORDERED to play "Runaround Sue")
Pinwheels!
Exploding Scoreboard (well, you know what I mean)
Outfield Shower
White Sox Murals Painted on the Walls of the Ramps by Students and Artists
A White Sox World Series Championship in My Lifetime (I know that there's supposed to be "no crying in baseball", but dammit... I wanna cry!)
Green/Grey Seats :tongue:

PINWHEELS!!!.......... YES!!!!!!! :cheers: :worship:

SaltyPretzel
09-07-2004, 08:45 AM
the Sox better not make a bad PR move by letting her go.......35yrs plus at Sox games that's amazing!
She would then join the Cubs where she becomes a national icon. :whiner:

Jerko
09-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Well, the last game I went to I was asked to take a survey, and I gave Nancy a 10. There was also a question regarding the volume of the canned music, which I gave a zero, and the girl doing the survey laughed in a "that's what everyone is saying" kind of way. Maybe next year we'll have a litte more Nancy or at the very least, a little less volume.

Over By There
09-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Anyone else see the article about Nancy in this morning's Trib? Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040906faust,1,7862267.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nice read, kind of sad how organists have been phased out of ballparks, and how the same thing is kind of happening to Nancy.

A side note: there are no pictures on the web version, but there's a picture in the print version of Nancy in 1971, and... yowza! Lookin' good, Nancy! :wink:

DrCrawdad
09-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Anyone else see the article about Nancy in this morning's Trib?

Yes. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=494678&postcount=17)

Realist
09-07-2004, 10:00 AM
I say let the Sox batters pick which little music snippet they want played when they come to bat and then the rest of the time it's Nancy, Nancy, Nancy.

It's high time this buried treasure was given more of the spotlight. I dunno if it's possible, but I'd love to see one of the Saturday nite fireworks shows accompanied by Nancy Faust.

Realist
09-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure that should be in teal. That's probably exactly what would happen. :(:

pinwheels3530
09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure that should be in teal. That's probably exactly what would happen. :(:

Everyone should E mail Brook Boyer and let him know we don't want this to happen! Nancy should also be invited to Soxfest I am sure alot of fans would want her autograph.

:sellreinsy

Hitmen77
09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
What tool said this...And yet one former Sox executive told her not long ago that the people who tell her they love her are not unlike those who shake the president's hand. "You don't have any idea how many fans are sitting in the stands saying 'Nancy stinks,'" he said.
Unbelievable that a Sox executive would say that to her face after all she has done for the franchise. What a slap in the face. Do you think Rob Gallas was the "former Sox executive" who told her this?

From the article: "But after 35 summers, she is, without question, the very pulse of the ballpark, both the senior employee of the club and the one closest in touch with fans."

It's unfortunate for Nancy that being in touch with the fans hasn't mattered much to Sox management since JR took over the club.

Hitmen77
09-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel
I'm not sure that should be in teal. That's probably exactly what would happen. :(:This is a very plausible scenario. In fact, I can see it unfolding now:
- The Sox, relying blindly on marketing surveys, determine that the best business move is to unceremoniously dump Nancy Faust,
- The Tribune Co. woos her and signs her to be the organist for the Cubs,
- She becomes nationally known as a Cubs institution and becomes another strong draw for that team,
- Sox fans constantly reminded by rest of the world that no one would go to a Sox game over a Cubs game because the Cubs have special things like the 7th inning stretch and real ballpark organ music that the Sox only wish they ever had.
- Reinsdorf goes on Chicago Tonight again to reiterate that the Sox just can't do anything about the fact that this is a Cubs-town and always has been and that the Sox are a small market club.
- Nancy eventually retires and the Cubs unveil a statue of her next to Harry's statue and Sammy's statue (unveiled a few years before Nancy's). Cub fans mock the few remain Sox fans by saying they only wish these 3 institutions ever had anything to do with the Sox.

And Realist is right that this doesn't belong in teal. If you want something in teal it should be something like this:
....Ever since the Sox started phasing out Nancy Faust in favor of canned DJ music, the Sox fanbase has exploded! Everywhere I go, people can't stop talking about how they just can't wait to go to another Sox game so that they can hear that loud pre-recorded music blaring into their ears during every possible free moment during the game! It's amazing how much younger fans are rejecting the Cubs' old-time ballpark atmosphere in favor of the modern atmosphere at US Cellular Field.

Dadawg_77
09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Unbelievable that a Sox executive would say that to her face after all she has done for the franchise. What a slap in the face. Do you think Rob Gallas was the "former Sox executive" who told her this?

From the article: "But after 35 summers, she is, without question, the very pulse of the ballpark, both the senior employee of the club and the one closest in touch with fans."

It's unfortunate for Nancy that being in touch with the fans hasn't mattered much to Sox management since JR took over the club.
I think you may be taking the quote way out of context. What is meant by that, is you only hear from your supporters. Thus a big crowd means little since you already sold those people on the idea. What matters is what the rest of the population thinks, which you don't know.

FARMEO
09-07-2004, 03:53 PM
I can't imagine a Sox game without Nancy Faust. I finally talked to Nancy last week after years of attending games and enjoying her music. Nancy is blocked by a food cart, but as I got closer she called me into her booth, she wants to interact with the fans. Nancy played my request which made my night.

TornLabrum
09-07-2004, 09:52 PM
What tool said this...
I'll give you three guesses to come up with the initials R.G.

TornLabrum
09-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Anyone else see the article about Nancy in this morning's Trib? Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040906faust,1,7862267.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nice read, kind of sad how organists have been phased out of ballparks, and how the same thing is kind of happening to Nancy.

A side note: there are no pictures on the web version, but there's a picture in the print version of Nancy in 1971, and... yowza! Lookin' good, Nancy! :wink:
I had a helluva crush on her back then...who wouldn't?

TornLabrum
09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Everyone should E mail Brook Boyer and let him know we don't want this to happen! Nancy should also be invited to Soxfest I am sure alot of fans would want her autograph.

:sellreinsy
Nancy appeared at the first couple of SoxFests where she was drawing as well as the player/coach seminars. After her second or third appearance there, she wasn't invited back.

Another brilliant move by marketing genius Rob Gallas.

Hitmen77
09-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I think you may be taking the quote way out of context. What is meant by that, is you only hear from your supporters. Thus a big crowd means little since you already sold those people on the idea. What matters is what the rest of the population thinks, which you don't know.Oh, I agree with you there - I understand your point completely. But, that being said I still think it's inexcusable that a former Sox executive (Gallas?) would tell Nancy to her face that alot of fans are saying "Nancy stinks". There are better ways to treat an employee w/ 35 years of great service and to explain demographic shifts, etc. than to tell her that fans think she stinks. Now that being said, my reaction is based solely on what this article said. I don't know how this was really handled. For all I know, the Sox brass was very diplomatic in explaining why they are taking the direction they are taking. (Oh wait, this is Reinsdorf & Co. we're talking about - maybe I should put that last sentence in teal.)

---and seriously, have you ever heard anyone other than a Sox hating Cub fan say that Nancy stinks? I'd have to say that even the Cub fans I know who hate everything about the Sox have alot of respect for Nancy Faust.

dirty_k
09-08-2004, 01:32 PM
but it was played at the 7/9 game and got no reaction from the crowd when the Sox could have used some momentum.

juanuribe
09-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you read.

The Isaacson fluff piece in the Trib was full of inaccuracies. The first one everyone should recognize is "they don't introduce her anymore." Every game I've been to (missed only 5) I hear the booming voice of Gene Honda intro'ing Nancy before Take Me Out. If Missy missed that fact, one can only question the rest of the facts of the article as well as the overall tone.

Nancy is great, and the article was meant to paint her as a sympathetic figure, so be aware that not all of what was written was/is truth, it was there to further enhance Isaacson's point.

I want Nancy to be a fixture as long as she's got the urge to tickle the ivories, but let's not let some dopey reporter make us dislike the organization who has employed Nancy for 3 1/2 decades.

This is the media here people, let's remember every one of those vultures does have an agenda.

hellenicsoxfan
09-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Every time I go to a game I make it a point to stop and say hi to Nancy. She is, honestly, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Go see her, she's great!Where exactly is she located? I'd love to meet Nancy. She's great. It's strange, but I haven't gotten a player's autograph since being a small kid and really have no great desire to get one, but I'd love to get Nancy to autograph a hat or ball. The Sox better not be dumb enough to ever dump her. I think I'll e-mail Brooks Boyer. Can I do that on the Sox website?

juanuribe
09-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Where exactly is she located? I'd love to meet Nancy. She's great. It's strange, but I haven't gotten a player's autograph since being a small kid and really have no great desire to get one, but I'd love to get Nancy to autograph a hat or ball. The Sox better not be dumb enough to ever dump her. I think I'll e-mail Brooks Boyer. Can I do that on the Sox website?
Her booth is just to the 3rd base side of homeplate. Unlike the players, she totally digs the fans.

TornLabrum
09-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Where exactly is she located? I'd love to meet Nancy. She's great. It's strange, but I haven't gotten a player's autograph since being a small kid and really have no great desire to get one, but I'd love to get Nancy to autograph a hat or ball. The Sox better not be dumb enough to ever dump her. I think I'll e-mail Brooks Boyer. Can I do that on the Sox website?
Lower deck, directly behind home plate.

Realist
09-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Her booth is just to the 3rd base side of homeplate. Unlike the players, she totally digs the fans.That's not really fair. Plenty of players really dig us and love hanging out with us. I'm sure there's plenty of people all over this board that have had a blast hanging out with various players over the years.

I once spent a whole nite hanging out with James Baldwin. It was just him and me kicking back at a few bars, tossing back a bunch of Guiness (which he would never let me pay for) and talking baseball. He's a very very cool guy.

I've got friends that have hung out with Aaron Rowand on several occasions and say he's the best. I think they're even supposed to hook up with him up in Minnesota when the Sox go there.

I know a guy that hung out with Frank for a long time and he swears that Frank is the greatest guy he's ever met in his life. Sometimes the two of them just go out to dinner together. I only met Frank a couple of times in a social setting, but he was great to me when I told him I was a Sox fan.

I'm sure plenty of us could go on and on about very pleasant experiences we've had with Sox players that appreciated that we're Sox fans spent a little if not a lot of quality time with us.

soxfanreggie
09-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Besides some ushers at games, the only person I have not liked from the Sox has been Carlton Fisk. He is a big jerk to fans. Minnie Minoso, Jerry Reisndorf (yes he was a great guy to talk to, very respectful and willing to listen and talk for a while), Frank, Mags, Hawk, Whimpy (back in the day), DJ, NANCY!!!! (THE BEST), and ever Herm the trainer were the most kind, nice people.

alohafri
09-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Is Boyer's email address bboyer@whitesox.com ?

If so, we should innundtate him with emails and snail mails letting him and the other powers that be our feelings on the Nancy subject. This is a link to our past that should not be lost until she is ready to hang up her organ keys.

juanuribe
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=Realist]That's not really fair. Plenty of players really dig us and love hanging out with us. I'm sure there's plenty of people all over this board that have had a blast hanging out with various players over the years.

That statement was based more on stereotype than fact, sorry if it was misread.

Realist
09-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Ahhh... I getcha now. It probably needed some teal to indicate sarcasm. :wink:

Brian26
09-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Nancy is definitely an institution, but some people bring up good points here.

Honestly, there are some things that the Sox have incoporated into the game experience that just aren't possible to do with the organ. The new opening sequence on the scoreboard and with the individual player introductions while AC/DC plays is absolutely phenomenal. That just could never be recreated with the organ.

The ideal situation is to use both Nancy's organ abilities and canned-music in tandem.

Times do change, unfortunately, and I think the Sox are trying to provide a product that appeals to the younger people. I like the new approach. I don't think the answer would be to let Nancy go or to trash talk her to her face.

Clembasbal
09-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the story read to me that next year will be Nacy's last year...is anybody else getting that vibe?

And if so, if Brooks Boyer mentioned in the article, like he did, that retro is cool and that it is coming back...wouldn't it make sense to keep Nancy?

On another note, I have liked her since I got her 1988 Red Bordered Coke-a-Cola Sox Card...she is sweet...never met her though, and now if I try I think it will be because of the article so I will hold of until next year.

FARMEO
09-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I didn't like Brook's comment or the tone of the article. I am concerned that Brooks will try to make a Sox game like a NBA game. I don't need to be blasted out of my seat with loud obnoxious music and sound effects. Canned is music just not as entertaining to me as live music.

Clembasbal
09-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I didn't like Brook's comment or the tone of the article. I am concerned that Brooks will try to make a Sox game like a NBA game. I don't need to be blasted out of my seat with loud obnoxious music and sound effects. Canned is music just not as entertaining to me as live music.
I agree, I hate NBA games. I like BASEBALL....BASEBALL! Give me what I want!

hellenicsoxfan
09-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Her booth is just to the 3rd base side of homeplate. Unlike the players, she totally digs the fans.Lower deck, directly behind home plate.Thanks for the info. I'll be going to the game to root for the Marlins on Monday, so if Nancy is there, I'll go to see her.

BainesHOF
09-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Brooks Boyer better step back and get a clue. It wasn't the Bulls marketing department that had anything to do with the organization's success. It was Michael Jordan. Period.

Boyer has done a good job since coming to the Sox. He's a breath of fresh air compared to the arrogant and condescending Gallas. However, Boyer better be careful not to go off the deep end. Sox fans want to see a winning team and be treated right at the park. The new pregame introductions are great (when the players actually bother to take the field when their name is announced), but we don't need distractions to the game once it starts. I'm afraid that's where we're headed.

Anyone who is thinking about canning Nancy Faust has no clue about the game of baseball and its fans.

doublem23
09-13-2004, 01:49 AM
I don't see how anyone could complain about Nancy Faust, but then again, I can't see how anyone lets their kid grow up to be an *******... I mean Cub fan.

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2004, 02:06 AM
Brooks Boyer better step back and get a clue. It wasn't the Bulls marketing department that had anything to do with the organization's success. It was Michael Jordan. Period.

Anyone who is thinking about canning Nancy Faust has no clue about the game of baseball and its fans.
The Bulls have been doing quite well in attendance long after the departure of His Airness. This may be due to the popularity of the NBA in general, maybe more due to the opposition's stars showing up, but the Bulls have really put some shoddy product on the court the last few years and are still packing the house.

I do agree that getting rid of my sweetheart, Nancy Faust, would be foolish.

SMO
:angry: