PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice this from the Southtown??

Flight #24
09-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Because of tampering rules, neither Guillen nor Williams would discuss which free agents on other teams they might be interested in. But another front office member said the 37-year-old Vizquel would merit consideration, especially if Guillen lobbies on his behalf.

Rather than re-sign outfielder Magglio Ordonez, the Sox front office is expected to parlay his $14 million salary into a front-line pitcher and another player or players. Under that scenario, there would figure to be enough money to sign Vizquel to the two-year deal he is likely to seek. The chance to stay in the Central Division with a Hispanic-laden team might appeal to Vizquel, who like Guillen is a Venezuela native.Interesting note is that based on that, it appears that over and above what they currently have in payroll, they're looking at spending Maggs $14mil. There's no mention of dealing Koney or anything like we saw last year with the Colon offer (when there was a lot of talk about how if he signed, they'd deal Maggs). That seems to indicate a reasonable payroll bump from '03, which is a good sign.

article:http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd3.htm

balke
09-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Interesting note is that based on that, it appears that over and above what they currently have in payroll, they're looking at spending Maggs $14mil. There's no mention of dealing Koney or anything like we saw last year with the Colon offer (when there was a lot of talk about how if he signed, they'd deal Maggs). That seems to indicate a reasonable payroll bump from '03, which is a good sign.

article:http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd3.htm
I would imagine payroll goes up a little bit. Last season we were "saving" or something with that budget we set. We added some salary mid-season, but I'll bet 80-90 mil might be tossed around this coming season. Not that salary is going to dictate talent necessarily anyway

hold2dibber
09-05-2004, 08:49 PM
We added some salary mid-season, but I'll bet 80-90 mil might be tossed around this coming season.
Deeppink for pipedreams, dude.

MRKARNO
09-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I would imagine payroll goes up a little bit. Last season we were "saving" or something with that budget we set. We added some salary mid-season, but I'll bet 80-90 mil might be tossed around this coming season. Not that salary is going to dictate talent necessarily anyway
80-90 is probably unrealistically high, but I cant see payroll being lower than 70 million and possibly as high as 80 is Jerry gets his act together.

DumpJerry
09-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I would imagine payroll goes up a little bit. Last season we were "saving" or something with that budget we set. We added some salary mid-season, but I'll bet 80-90 mil might be tossed around this coming season. Not that salary is going to dictate talent necessarily anyway:reinsy
"90 Mill? No way! The Cubs spend that and look how they get treated at Whitesoxinteractive! I want respect."

gosox41
09-06-2004, 08:56 AM
80-90 is probably unrealistically high, but I cant see payroll being lower than 70 million and possibly as high as 80 is Jerry gets his act together.
If the Sox spend $70 mill (or hopefully more) maybe we'll stop seeing these ridiculous threads questioning how many games we'll attend if the Sox lower payroll.

Bob

jeremyb1
09-06-2004, 01:49 PM

I agree but that is what payroll will be if we don't deal one of our bigger salaries and we spend all of most of Maggs 14 million.

GiveMeSox
09-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I agree but that is what payroll will be if we don't deal one of our bigger salaries and we spend all of most of Maggs 14 million.
Why do we want to spend 6 to 8 mil per year on vizquel. He is making 7.75 now, the least we can probably get away with is like 6 mil per for 2 years. Why? He is old, not as fast, his D is sub-par, before this year he hasn't hit .300 since the indians were good. We can go after a younger faster christian guzman for the same price and get him for longer. Vizquel is noting special, he is really old. At most i would only give him 1 year, but not look to him as the answer at SS, id rather have someone else.

bobj4400
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
but I'll bet 80-90 mil might be tossed around this coming season.
Which White Sox team do you follow? That is a deep pink statement if you follow the White Sox owned by Jerry Reinsdorf.

SEALgep
09-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Why do we want to spend 6 to 8 mil per year on vizquel. He is making 7.75 now, the least we can probably get away with is like 6 mil per for 2 years. Why? He is old, not as fast, his D is sub-par, before this year he hasn't hit .300 since the indians were good. We can go after a younger faster christian guzman for the same price and get him for longer. Vizquel is noting special, he is really old. At most i would only give him 1 year, but not look to him as the answer at SS, id rather have someone else.Vizquel will probably go for $3-4 million, not $6-8 million.

SOXSINCE'70
09-06-2004, 06:09 PM
:reinsy
"90 Mill? No way! The Cubs spend that and look how they get treated at Whitesoxinteractive! I want respect."
Respect,like money,is earned.You can't just open the gates to Sox Park and say "come on in".Why should fans come in?? You still haven't figured out that blackmail will get you nowhere,Uncle Jer.That payroll better be in the high 70's,low 80's next year.And no excuses.

Man,am I a dreamer.:angry: :angry: :angry: