PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro on Sox Fans

daveeym
09-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Not sure if this was already posted but..http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240904104

After Suzuki's fifth hit in the ninth, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

"To give an ovation to an opposing player, I think they really love the game," Suzuki said. "It really made me feel good to see that."

Smartest fans in baseball.

doublem23
09-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Ichiro likes Sox fans... We'll be in need of a right fielder...

Hey, if people can post about this year not being over yet, I can drool over a lead-off hitter like that right. Maybe he and Shingo are buds.

HomeFish
09-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Ichiro was also a fan favorite at the All-Star game in 2003, according to the TV.

pinwheels3530
09-05-2004, 02:02 PM
What are you guys talking about where the worst fans in baseball!!!! Jay
Mariotti is somewhere sick to his stomach right now:wink:
:windsock:

"My cubbies are the greatest, the whitesox can't get any good press I won't allow it, my words are gospel!!!!

Soxfest
09-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Sox fans are very smart, we give respect when due, not like the puppets on the other side of town and Ichiro is a good guy you can give standing ovation to.

SoxFan76
09-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Sox fans are very smart, we give respect when due, not like the puppets on the other side of town and Ichiro is a good guy you can give standing ovation to.
I thought it was classy of Buerhle to tip his cap when Ichiro slapped that hit up the middle. Sometimes that's just what you have to do. I thought it was a nice gesture from MB.

nitetrain8601
09-05-2004, 04:58 PM
I like Ichiro. He's a grinder and he's very quiet and has much respect for the game. I think he's one of those players who just truly loves the game and everything that comes with it.

wassagstdu
09-05-2004, 05:04 PM
After Suzuki's fifth hit in the ninth, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.
.Made me proud to be a Sox fan when I read that.

Soxzilla
09-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Does seattle still want crede?

Parrothead
09-06-2004, 12:02 AM
I thought it was classy of Buerhle to tip his cap when Ichiro slapped that hit up the middle. Sometimes that's just what you have to do. I thought it was a nice gesture from MB.
No need to advertise my Huskies' loss.

SOXROX02
09-06-2004, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=daveeym]Not sure if this was already posted but..http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240904104QUOTE]

I love how the Sox fans cheer for other teams while the Cubs fans boo their own players...

1951Campbell
09-06-2004, 01:04 AM
After Suzuki's fifth hit in the ninth, the crowd gave him a standing ovation...

Ichiro, I hope you do it. You're a class act.

BainesHOF
09-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Smartest fans in baseball.
Let's not get carried away. It's good enough to say the Sox have smart fans and leave it at that.

Dan Gelo
09-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Was a really fun game to be at. Especially after the Friday and Saturday drubbings against the Red Sox. That was a moment.

batmanZoSo
09-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Ichiro likes Sox fans... We'll be in need of a right fielder...

Hey, if people can post about this year not being over yet, I can drool over a lead-off hitter like that right. Maybe he and Shingo are buds.
Yeah, since they're both Japanese, they naturally know each other, lol. It's like my uncle who asks every Indian man he meets if he knows my brother in law. Never mind that the country has about a billion people. :bandance:

RichFitztightly
09-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Yeah, since they're both Japanese, they naturally know each other, lol. It's like my uncle who asks every Indian man he meets if he knows my brother in law. Never mind that the country has about a billion people. :bandance:
Well, since they both played major league baseball in the same league in Japan, there's more than a random chance that they may actually know each other. Possibley they have even been teamates at one time. I'm sure you're joking, but still.

whtsx1959
09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
ichiro and shingo faced each other three times, once with shingo batting and ichiro pitching (during an all-star game):courtesy of Hawk and DJ back in June

Hangar18
09-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I was at the game, and the crowd gave him nice applause when he took the field Sat Nite, and he had a little smile. I realized he knew were good fans,
and Im sure the smarter players realize WE are the best fans around (without the media hype)

jabrch
09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=daveeym]Not sure if this was already posted but..http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240904104QUOTE]

I love how the Sox fans cheer for other teams while the Cubs fans boo their own players...
FWIW, we have booed our own players, and managers, in the past. I don't think there is anything wrong with that if they deserve it.

petekat
09-07-2004, 02:34 PM
proud to be in the stands when that happened as well. pretty spontaneous eruption from the crowd- which Ichiro dutifully acknowledged with a tip of his cap. only other set of fans who do this are Red Sox fans- the way they honored Boggs after a 5-5 day when he was with the Yanks, and the way they honored the Rocket when he walked off the mound at Fenway in what was thought to be his regular season career finale in Boston

Made me proud to be a Sox fan when I read that.

jabrch
09-07-2004, 02:37 PM
proud to be in the stands when that happened as well. pretty spontaneous eruption from the crowd- which Ichiro dutifully acknowledged with a tip of his cap. only other set of fans who do this are Red Sox fans- the way they honored Boggs after a 5-5 day when he was with the Yanks, and the way they honored the Rocket when he walked off the mound at Fenway in what was thought to be his regular season career finale in Boston
But those guys were their own. Clemens and Boggs were Red Sox. We were cheering for a player on the team that not too many years ago knocked us out of the playoffs. I do agree - in general that Boston fans are pretty solid.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Any chance Ichiro is looking for a change of scenery, to, say, 35th and Shields? (Or is there simply no shade of Deeppink deep enough to convey the level of fantasy required to imagine such a scenario?)

santo=dorf
09-07-2004, 02:49 PM
FWIW, we have booed our own players, and managers, in the past. I don't think there is anything wrong with that if they deserve it.I agree, and so does someone else.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/cellular.html

So, after a three-hour rain delay, with perhaps 3,000 dedicated fans still in the stands, the White Sox finally took the field and the game began. And after starter Bartolo Colon went 3-0 on the fourth batter he faced, the man in front of us yelled, "Get him out of there!''

And he was right. Colon was awful. He threw 43 pitches in the first inning and took 27 minutes to finally retire the Tigers.

It was a miserable night for the White Sox. When beleaguered manager Jerry Manuel, barely clinging to his job at the time, finally trudged to the mound for a pitching change in the seventh inning, the fan yelled, "Dead man walking!''

I tell you, these folks know their baseball.

Soxzilla
09-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I've only seen the wave done at the cell once in the 50 games I've been there. (And that was at the 2000 divisional series when sirotka pitched)

I've seen it done at least once a game at every other time ive been to another stadium (3/3 at turner, 2/2 at wrigley).

I think that certainly qualifies us.

doublem23
09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
I was more referring to each other playing pro ball in the same league in Japan. Granted, I am no expert on the fraternity that exists amongst professional Japanese baseball players, but I would assume that there's a pretty good chance that the two had run into each other, on or off field, before this year.

A billion people? Japan's population is less than half that of the United States, IIRC.

Ol Aches & Pains
09-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Not sure if this was already posted but..http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240904104 Smartest fans in baseball.
I was one of those standing and cheering. When he got the fifth hit, I got goosebumps. Not only did he get five hits in that game, he made a spectacular catch in right field, and a great throw to third to keep Uribe from advancing from second on a long flyball. All in all, the most impressive performance I've ever seen in person on a baseball diamond.