PDA

View Full Version : Another Minor Leaguer Pitcher - Same Result

stl_sox_fan
09-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Alright this is getting a bit on the frustrating side. We have talent that seems to be tearing up the minor leagues, but when they make that magical step up to the "show" it's like they are pitching batting practice.
Is it them or is it our pitching staff? Cooper hasn't impressed me at all this year. What is he doing with our hurlers? Do we lead the Majors in homers allowed? Does KW need to add a new pitching staff to the ever growing grocery list needed for next season(5th Starter, Right Fielder, a Complete 3rd Basemen, Middle Relievers)?

Glad I got to watch a rare Sox game on WGN tonight in St Louis. Bats looked pretty good. Bullpen tried it's best to give it away. Great throw by Timo!!!
:gulp:

DVsoxfan
09-04-2004, 11:21 PM
It was his ML debut, and come one, Bajenaru did NOT get hit hard. Infield single by Bloomquist, and a chopper single by Ichiro, the best hitter in the AL. Winn's single was hit hard, but lets give Bajenaru a little bit more than 1/3 of an inning before we declare him a failure. I wouldve liked to see him finish the 9th in fact. That wouldve given us a better gauge on the kid.

stl_sox_fan
09-04-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm not trying to turn on him. His first few fastballs looked solid, oh then he had to face Ichiro. I think this is a great chance for the farm team to get some big league experience.
I just have issues with a pitching staff that on paper is supposed to have so much potential, but then can't seem to get anything consistent going. But we know games aren't played on paper, their played in tiny little televison boxes.

DVsoxfan
09-04-2004, 11:36 PM
I understand what you mean. I'm sick of the fifth starter crap too. I hope that this can all be forgotten by next yr. with the addition of a top notch pitcher, preferably Carl Pavano. This would move JG to the 5th starter slot. This is what I believe to be the solution. With that scenario, JG can still be a .500 pitcher, and it will be considered a success for a 5th starter. And hey, if he breaks out next yr. then that gives us that much better of a rotation. It might be the type of thing that would light a fire under his butt, who knows. I'm just sick of all of the questions about the fifth starter. I want to feel confident in whoever we throw out there each game. Honestly, I don't get that feeling by trading JG and letting a young pitcher assume the 5th starter role. Of course, if you don't sign another starter in that situation, were screwed. I do like that we have seasoned some of our younger pitchers in the bullpen, especially Neal Cotts. To sum up all of this, I simply hope that we don't have to deal w/ the 5th starter woes again. I'd rather the pitching be outstanding, and sacrifice some offense if need be. Though ideal would be to have the same high octane offense w/ the great rotation, but that won't happen w/o a big payroll increase.

stl_sox_fan
09-04-2004, 11:46 PM
I agree with you about Cotts. I got to watch his failed attempt in the 5 hole against Minnesota first hand. He doesn't have enough pitches to be a starter, but I like him in the bullpen next season.
I have been in the mindset that pitching is all we really lack. Even with Frank and Mags out for most of the second half, they have still been able to put up some pretty good numbers. A proven pitcher has to be signed in the offseason. My verdict on Garland is still out. He's like my golf game. Horrible for 17 holes, and then that nice putt to end the round.
I just hope someone runs over Blanco or McElroy in two weeks against the Twins. Burke must be avenged!

Banix12
09-05-2004, 01:48 AM
I was at the game so I didn't really get the benifit of getting those up close TV shots but I thought Bajenaru pitched decently for a debut. His fastball seemed solid and he was getting ahead of the early hitters in the inning. What seemed to happen was Bloomquist hit that pitch and when Wille bobbled the play Bajenaru started get a little nervous and started pitching a little too fine. He didn't really get beat up, just a few singles. I think a few more outings up here he'll settle down. Look at it this way, his probably the first of the call-ups who you can honestly say is better than mike jackson. However a batting tee is probably harder to hit off of than Jackson was.

SoxFan76
09-05-2004, 01:56 AM
I have never used one of these, because I am totally against it. But this thread has called for it:

:threadrules:

Oh, excuse me:

:threadsucks

Ahh, that's it. Give the kid a break, it's one appearance.

DVsoxfan
09-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Ahh, that's it. Give the kid a break, it's one appearance.

My point exactly. He looked very composed for a guy making his ML debut. We didn't even get a chance to see if he could get out of that jam. I would've liked to see him finish the 9th.

ChiSoxBobette
09-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Alright this is getting a bit on the frustrating side. We have talent that seems to be tearing up the minor leagues, but when they make that magical step up to the "show" it's like they are pitching batting practice.
Is it them or is it our pitching staff? Cooper hasn't impressed me at all this year. What is he doing with our hurlers? Do we lead the Majors in homers allowed? Does KW need to add a new pitching staff to the ever growing grocery list needed for next season(5th Starter, Right Fielder, a Complete 3rd Basemen, Middle Relievers)?

Glad I got to watch a rare Sox game on WGN tonight in St Louis. Bats looked pretty good. Bullpen tried it's best to give it away. Great throw by Timo!!!
:gulp:If Willie fields that ball hit to him and throws out the runner there would've been two outs and that would have changed the inning for the kid. All in all I thought he threw pretty good.