PDA

View Full Version : Sox got most coverage in the Trib?

Jerry_Manuel
10-05-2001, 08:21 PM
From Sullivan's question and answers on CS.com:
Now that the season has almost finished, let us discuss the most overlooked baseball story here in Chicago: Jerry Manuel. Jerry did a commendable job in making adjustments when the Sox were nearly knocked out of contention in May. As usual, the editorial staff at Cubs Central refuses to accentuate the positive, and choose to bask in a wasteland of non-relevant issues (Comiskey Park, attendance and the Tribunes favorite voodoo doll, Frank Thomas). Stick with the facts, please. After all, as of 10/03, the Cubs are only 7 games better than the Sox. Your newspaper would have you thinking the Cubs won the World Series. - Jim Renderman, Bolingbrook

I agree that Manuel did a good job keeping him team from rolling over in May. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but the Sox were treated fairly all year, as was Frank Thomas. The Cubs were in contention most of the year, the Sox weren't. That's a fact. The Sox also had more coverage in the Tribune than any other Chicago-area paper, including a full page with stories and stats every single week from Opening Day until last week. That's also a fact. You can look it up.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From Sullivan's question and answers on CS.com:
Now that the season has almost finished, let us discuss the most overlooked baseball story here in Chicago: Jerry Manuel. Jerry did a commendable job in making adjustments when the Sox were nearly knocked out of contention in May. As usual, the editorial staff at Cubs Central refuses to accentuate the positive, and choose to bask in a wasteland of non-relevant issues (Comiskey Park, attendance and the Tribunes favorite voodoo doll, Frank Thomas). Stick with the facts, please. After all, as of 10/03, the Cubs are only 7 games better than the Sox. Your newspaper would have you thinking the Cubs won the World Series. - Jim Renderman, Bolingbrook

I agree that Manuel did a good job keeping him team from rolling over in May. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but the Sox were treated fairly all year, as was Frank Thomas. The Cubs were in contention most of the year, the Sox weren't. That's a fact. The Sox also had more coverage in the Tribune than any other Chicago-area paper, including a full page with stories and stats every single week from Opening Day until last week. That's also a fact. You can look it up.

Now you know why A.J. Liebling laughed at Chicago and labeled it "The Second City". Fifty years after Colonel McCormick vouched for his "World's Greatest Newspaper"-- by placing it on scale-- Paul Sullivan makes the exact same argument counting column inches vs. the other papers in the area. By McCormick's reckoning (and now Sully's, too), the Chicago Phone Directory would be great literary work.

I'm shocked he could be this stupid. Then again, he works for the Cubune. So I guess I'm not so surprised.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2001, 08:34 PM
Of course, what Paul isn't saying is that both the Sun-Times and Tribune treated the Sox as a complete non-story this year, in their coverage volume, story placement, and story emphasis. Need I add in Bayless and Moronotti's contributions? The reader is right, the Tribune treated the Cubs as if they were God's gift to baseball. The Sun-Times ran full-color photos ON THE FRONT PAGE, of the Cubs' previous day's game for a week or two whenever they won a game, back when they were in first.

The Tribune does highlight the Sox once a week on the back page of the Sports section, which is nice. They do the same for the Cubs. It's the other stuff they do where the Sox get short shrift. Admittedly, this year the Sox weren't in first place, so I can see the Cubs getting better treatment. But I would be willing to bet that last year, the Cubs did not receive nearly the dismissive treatment that the Sox did this year, this despite the Cubs being one of the truly awful teams this city has ever seen.

My hope for '02 is that the Flubs revert to a sub-.500 team, and the Sox take the Central back. It'll be good to compare notes.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm shocked he could be this stupid. Then again, he works for the Cubune. So I guess I'm not so surprised. LOL, I had a feeling PHG wasn't going to let that bit of idiocy slide.