PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* The More The Mariner Postgame Thread

AddisonStSox
09-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Gong Show!!!

http://www.hsdpupils.net/fourthyears/Fourth%20Yr%20Webs%2002-03/PinkSlippers/Pink%20Slippers/Movie%20Review/jackass_gong.jpg

A win's a win...That was a fun game, I really wish it meant something.

Willie Harris 2004 Homerun Watch--- 1 :bandance:

lths06
09-04-2004, 08:50 PM
TIMO...YES!:) :supernana: :)

munchman33
09-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Willie Harris 2004 Homerun Watch--- 1 :bandance:
And with that Willie surpasses this years projected total of zero.

chisoxt
09-04-2004, 08:52 PM
My theory is the the whole ninth inning was a setup by Ozzie.....Make no mistake about it, the Sox are looking closely at Shingo's ability to close, so they put in a patsey to give Shingo another chance to earn a save.

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Randy Winn advanced to second on defensive indifference. ..from the Tribune's text PBP of the game. Somehow the phrase "defensive indifference" recaps this whole disappointing season. :(:

Good to get a win though.

EDIT: Perhaps the phrase just expresses my attitude about this disappointing season. :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Quite a throw by Timo. Nice catch and tag by Uribe at third, too.

Watch out, Joe. There's always room for one more parking cars.
:smile:

:crede
"Keep it moving... Keep it moving... $16... Thank you... Keep it moving..."

Soxzilla
09-04-2004, 08:58 PM
I admit I turned the game on when jose batted in the bottom of the 8th. And right when i turned it on, it all went to crap.

I seriously need to stop watching this stuff.:o:

Baj looked good though, just a few measly punchy hits, and an 'error' by willie "i make the plays" harris.

JB98
09-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Are we ever going to get an easy win again? This is two nights in a row where we nearly grasped defeat from the jaws of victory.....

Nick@Nite
09-04-2004, 09:00 PM
If it wasn't for Ichiro Suzuki going 5 for 5, this wouldn't been a close game. The guy is a straight up freak.

Frankfan4life
09-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Way to go Willie! His homerun turned out to be difference in the game.

But, Timo's throw was better than seeing a homerun. I love good defense.

On the downside, Shingo is becoming Kochgo. I don't think he's going to be able to adjust.

WinningUgly!
09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Tonight, Konerko moved past Bill Melton, into 6th place on the White Sox' all time HR list, with 156.

Congrats Pauly!!!:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

TDog
09-04-2004, 09:10 PM
I only saw the accounts of the game on the Internet, but what struck me is that this afternoon the Mariners lost the game the way the White Sox have been losing games since I was a kid -- and probably before that.

losingugly2004
09-04-2004, 09:31 PM
These games are getting on my nerves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/losingugly2004/sig.bmp

WSox8404
09-04-2004, 11:31 PM
If it wasn't for Ichiro Suzuki going 5 for 5, this wouldn't been a close game. The guy is a straight up freak.
I just wish we had him.........

SluggersAway
09-04-2004, 11:37 PM
The fans cheering for Ichi's achievement today was a class act, too bad we don't see more of it on this board. I've seen so much whining I don't know what to think. Let's take a play from the Monty Python playbook and "always look on the bright side of life." I don't mind constructive criticism, but no one logs on to this board for endless complaining.

Alanzo
09-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Whether or not Shingo is becoming "Kochgo" or not will only bother me when he starts to blow some saves. His job is to close the game, and he's only messed up once. All other considerations don't really matter to me. Just my opinion. :cool:

SoxFan76
09-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Whether or not Shingo is becoming "Kochgo" or not will only bother me when he starts to blow some saves. His job is to close the game, and he's only messed up once. All other considerations don't really matter to me. Just my opinion. :cool:
OH MY GOD, I just checked out the plays of the game. Hawk's call for Timo's throw was incredible. That is why I love Hawk. Too bad they didn't have Willie's HR.

fquaye149
09-05-2004, 02:01 AM
i heard buehrle threw an eephus to ichiro. true?

balke
09-05-2004, 02:02 AM
The fans cheering for Ichi's achievement today was a class act, too bad we don't see more of it on this board. I've seen so much whining I don't know what to think. Let's take a play from the Monty Python playbook and "always look on the bright side of life." I don't mind constructive criticism, but no one logs on to this board for endless complaining.
The chat tonight was pretty pro Ichiro. He's about as Crazy as Barry Bonds. I said he's gotta be a ninja or monk or something in his off-time with that concentration.

Nellie_Fox
09-05-2004, 02:37 AM
My theory is the the whole ninth inning was a setup by Ozzie.....Make no mistake about it, the Sox are looking closely at Shingo's ability to close, so they put in a patsey to give Shingo another chance to earn a save.I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Nick@Nite
09-05-2004, 07:36 AM
i heard buehrle threw an eephus to ichiro. true?True.

It could have been a close-to-flawless night for Buehrle if not for Ichiro. He had two singles to left off Buehrle, a sharp single to right and an RBI single to center in the seventh. Buehrle had tried just about everything by that point against the man sitting atop the American League with 223 hits and a .379 average.

So, the only logical choice remaining was an "eephus" pitch, which Ichiro took high. Both dugouts seemed to get a good laugh from that attempt, which did not come from Takatsu's repertoire, according to Buehrle.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20040904&content_id=847835&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp

Ichiro was simply locked in on every pitch. The man is as smooth as a mayonnaise sandwich. Unless he goes into a funk which is highly unlikely imo, George Sisler's 84 year old record will fall by the wayside.

BigEdWalsh
09-05-2004, 08:16 AM
It surely was a class act, but what else would one expect from White Sox fans?
Regarding this, the following was from Yahoo Sports:

Buehrle even tried an eephus pitch against Suzuki, who received a standing ovation from the Chicago crowd after his fifth hit in the ninth inning.

``In Japan, I saw that a lot,'' Suzuki said of the eephus pitch through a translator. ``But here, it's probably the first time. ``To give an ovation to an opposing player, I think they really love the game,'' he added. ``It really made me feel good to see that.''

Did we impress him enough to get him to come and play for us?!:gulp:

SpringfldFan
09-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Hey I was just wondering. Has Ichiro faced Shingo yet this year? It would be intriguing since both as certainly familiar with eachother from Japan. In fact, I wonder what Ichiro's lifetime average is against Shingo in Japan.

Jjav829
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Hey I was just wondering. Has Ichiro faced Shingo yet this year? It would be intriguing since both as certainly familiar with eachother from Japan. In fact, I wonder what Ichiro's lifetime average is against Shingo in Japan.
They faced each other Friday night. Shingo got Ichiro to fly out to center. They never faced each other in Japan.

batmanZoSo
09-05-2004, 10:23 AM
What's an "eephus" pitch?

misty60481
09-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Years ago--40s--a pitcher from Pittsburg---Rip Sewell started throwing the ball about 12 feet in air with a lot of spin real slow it would come down on the batter at an angle hard to hit, he had pretty good luck with it but only threw it 4 or 5 times a game. He pitched in All-Star game one year and threw it to Ted Williams who hit it about 450 ft., form what I hear it was the only time any body ever homered off it.

Realist
09-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Here's a great article on the Eephus Pitch (http://www.thebaseballpage.com/features/2000/eephus.htm). I'll post it here because it's being discussed in this thread, but it probably deserves its own thread in "Talking Baseball". Enjoy!