PDA

View Full Version : My sons' first ever Sox game...

hsnterprize
09-04-2004, 12:31 PM
When I travelling home from work yesterday afternoon, I was ready to just get home and vegitate after another hard week. While I was driving, my wife pages me. So I pull over and call her. She tells me her mom was able to get some good seats for last night's Sox/Seattle game, and asked if I was interested in going. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. Not only would this be the first time in a while I'd be able to see the Sox strictly as a fan, but also, to be able to share the experience with my 2 boys, 2-year-old Joshua and 1-year-old Nathan. I'd dreamed of taking them to see a baseball game, but nothing like this.

Our seats were in the club level, and they were nice. They would normally be about $40 each, but since we got them for free (along with a parking pass), what difference did it make? We got to the ballpark in time for me to fill out some kind of Chevy survey and get an "oh-ee-oh, Magglio" t-shirt. I thought, "That's nice, but Maggs isn't coming back next year, so I guess they're trying to get rid of their inventory." Anyway, once we got in the park and took our seats, it turned out to be a nice evening.

Now...since we were sittng almost directly underneath speakers, it spooked Nathan a little bit when the girl singing the national anthem started. He cried and yelped while the Christina Aguilera wanna-be belted out the Star Spangled Banner. Granted, she's a teen who can improve her voice, and I'm not exactly Luciano Pavoratti when I sing the anthem, but I didn't think she sounded all that good. Anyway, after the pre-game intros and everything else, we watched the game as a family...and that's something I'll really enjoy.

When Juan Uribe hit his home run, the boys became fixated with the fireworks. In fact, shortly after they were finished, Nathan was staring at the smoke blowing in our direction. Then when that *#^$*&@$ (and a few other colorful adjectives I won't say for the sake of editing) ran onto the field, I was hoping whoever caught the basetard would ring him up a few times...if you know what I mean.

Josh ate his first ballpark hotdog, along with chips and a Pepsi. We still have the "Sox Pride" cup the drink came in. He likes to eat...A LOT!!!!! He eventually made friends with a 4-year-old sitting next to us, and Nathan was shown on the big centerfield screen. Proud papa moments right there.

Once the game ended and we headed out, the boys had a good time, and so did his parents. I for one will be glad to have been able to drive the family to a ballgame, but I'll be even more happier when I can take at least one of the boys to a game by myself. Father and son moments like that are precious, and if you have kids (especially if you have boys), taking them to a baseball game is nothing short of stellar. I'd rather take the boys to the ballpark one at a time so I can concentrate on the child and the game instead of worrying about what one kid or the other is getting into.

Thanks gramma for the tickets...it was a much needed break, and we even got to see a White Sox Winner!!!!! We ought to do things like this more often.

pinwheels3530
09-04-2004, 01:09 PM
:smile: I remeber my son's first sox game, now he loves everything Whitesox! I am still waitng to take him to his first SOX World Series game. :whistle:

soltrain21
09-04-2004, 01:35 PM
My dad taking me to my first Sox games is one of the most cherished memories he has of me. I am 19 and he still tells stories about it, he said I was strictly in awe the whole time.

I hope it will be as memorable for you as it was for him.

SoxFan76
09-04-2004, 01:42 PM
My dad taking me to my first Sox games is one of the most cherished memories he has of me. I am 19 and he still tells stories about it, he said I was strictly in awe the whole time.

I hope it will be as memorable for you as it was for him.
My dad tells me about my first game once in awhile. It was at Old Comiskey, and I cried the whole time. Oh well.

Mohoney
09-04-2004, 02:01 PM
There's a reciprocity, too. When you take your son(s) to the first Sox game that they will be able to remember, they will look back on it forever and love you for it.

One of my most cherished childhood memories was going to Old Comiskey when I was 6 with my family. I'm sure they took me to games prior to that night, but it's the first game that I can remember going to. I sat next to my dad, ate a few hot dogs, and we beat the Tigers. The team wasn't very good in the mid and late '80s, but I didn't really know any better. All I knew was that we won, Carlton Fisk hit a homer, and I was having a great time. When you're 6 years old, being allowed to stay up that late is fun, no matter what you're doing. The fact that it was at a Sox game made it even cooler.

Another cherished memory was going to a game with my dad and my buddy next door when I was 10, during the last season in Old Comiskey. After the game was over, I actually said to my dad, "I'm never going to go to the new park. Ever."

Needless to say, being that I was 10 years old at the time, I didn't follow through on the threat. I have been to many games at the new park. But I am forever thankful that my dad took me to a few games at the old park every summer, and I was able to really appreciate such a great place.

voodoochile
09-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I didn't go to games when I was very little, but going to games with my Dad as a grade schooler were some great memories. We used to go to opening day on a regular basisi for several years. Great memories, even if many of those were at Wrigley.

Nice story, thanks for sharing, hsn...