PDA

View Full Version : Erstad to Sox in 2005?

cornball
09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Quite possible, the Sox have been after him for years. A contact guy with speed playing 1st? A link to an article saying Erstad maybe trading this offseason for a cheaper replacement.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2377244,00.html

bobj4400
09-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Just like the Sox to acquire a 'name' guy on the downslope of his career...:rolleyes:

MRKARNO
09-03-2004, 07:48 PM
There's another Angel I'd rather have who'll be a free agent (Troy Glaus)

batmanZoSo
09-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Quite possible, the Sox have been after him for years. A contact guy with speed playing 1st? A link to an article saying Erstad maybe trading this offseason for a cheaper replacement.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2377244,00.html
Erstad=grinder.

I think it would depend how much less he makes than Konerko. If it's substantial, say 2 million or so, I would be for it. I can't really check the link and confirm his salary if it's even listed in there because my cpu is f'in up.

He can really pick it over there from the few times I've seen him play first. He would add speed like you said, upgrade in range at first, another left handed bat, a leadoff hitter. We'd also be saving money and I don't think losing Pauly's homers will hurt us at all. The benefit of everything I listed above will outweigh that. Konerko's homers came almost exclusively at home and it requires no mentioning that he grounds into way too many double plays, is a head case and doesn't really do anything other than hit home runs (his average is, well, average, his rbis are nothing special, and he doesn't get many rbi extra base hits unless he hits it out).

Daver
09-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Erstad will make 8.0 mil in 2005 and 8.5 mil in 2006.

JoseCanseco6969
09-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I will take Konerko witht he extra 2 mil anyday over erstad. Konerko is our team leader as of now and I cant understand this trade crap with him!

munchman33
09-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Maybe we'll see a revisit of the Garland for Erstad trade that never was.

nitetrain8601
09-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Erstad gets injured too often. I don't want him on this team.

MRKARNO
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM
At that price it would be a HUGE mistake to trade for Erstad. I dont think I'd take him (with salary considered) over Everett, Rowand, Lee or Konerko.

gosox41
09-04-2004, 09:52 AM

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2377244,00.htmlDarin Erstad=washed up, highly overrated player. I think the picutre below would show what role KW is playing if he trades for Erstad:

::kermit

Bob

ja1022
09-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I've never been able to understand KW's infatuation with Erstad. Don't get me wrong--he's a nice player and I don't think he's washed up or on the decline necessarily. I just don't see him as a difference maker on any team. Aside from 2000 when he hit .355, he's put up "nice" numbers--.270-.290 and 80-100 runs. I'd like more of a power guy at 1st (I've got no problem with Konerko) and I like Lee and Rowand in the OF. If Maggs is gone, I don't see Erstad as enough of a offensive replacement in the OF.

fquaye149
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
hasn't erstad played outfield in the past? if we could in fact trade garland for him (!!!) or at any rate someone not named walnuts, we could have him, crash and lee in the OF. not the best defensive OF in baseball. . .especially throwing-wise, but a big offensive improvement over crash/lee/gload.

let's see what happens here before we say kenny got kermited

WinningUgly!
09-04-2004, 05:16 PM
There's another Angel I'd rather have who'll be a free agent (Troy Glaus)With Glaus' shoulder problems, he'll no longer be able to play 3B everyday. I don't see the Sox signing any high-priced, right-handed 1B/DH types this offseason. That's one of the team's few areas of strength.:D:

JRIG
09-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I'd just like to re-post this, as the Erstad to the Sox rumors never seen to die...

Captain's Log, Stardate 2011:

White Sox aquire 1st baseman Darin Erstad

The Chicago White Sox, languishing in 2nd place in the A.L. Central behind the Kansas City Royals, made a move to add to their lineup today, aquiring 37-year-old Darin Erstad off waivers from the Anaheim Angels.

"I've got one word for you...1917," said White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams. "I want to win now and Darin Erstad is the type of grinder who can lead us to a pennant. We've been after this guy for quite some time."

Erstad had been benched the past few weeks after batting only .147 through the first three months of the season. He has yet to have an extra-base-hit.

Williams, who has yet to win a division championship as GM, says the Sox finally have the lineup they want.

"Roberto Alomar may look old out there at second base, but even at 43 he can lay down a bunt and do the little things better than anyone I ever played against," Williams said. "Sandy Alomar may only catch once a month, but he's still on the active roster and provides great veteran leadership."

The White Sox have had trouble scoring runs recently, but Williams thinks the move will solve that problem.

"There's few teams that can match a heart of the order like Erstad, Borchard, and Escobar," Williams said. "No, neither Borchard or Escobar have hit more than .200 in a full season in the big leagues yet, and neither has walked since 2008, but these guys have all the tools in the world. And when they finally put it together, we're going to be a force."

Instead of the $50,000 waiver claim, the Sox have agreed to send top prospect Jason Wind to the Angels. Wind, hitting .333 with an OBP of .452 at AAA Charlotte, was made expendable by the outfield depth the Sox have in the minors, Willams said.

"We still think Ryan Sweeney is going to turn things around in AA ball," said Williams. "And we just drafted a few guys who look great in jeans. We'll be just fine."

fquaye149
09-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Instead of the $50,000 waiver claim, the Sox have agreed to send top prospect Jason Wind to the Angels. Wind, hitting .333 with an OBP of .452 at AAA Charlotte, was made expendable by the outfield depth the Sox have in the minors, Willams said.

But I mean Jason Wind's ceiling was really just Alan Foster of the Oakland A's. . .and we all know he's not that stellar... though he can play a pretty good 3b.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2004, 06:26 PM
I'd just like to re-post this, as the Erstad to the Sox rumors never seen to die...

Captain's Log, Stardate 2011:

White Sox aquire 1st baseman Darin Erstad

The Chicago White Sox, languishing in 2nd place in the A.L. Central behind the Kansas City Royals, made a move to add to their lineup today, aquiring 37-year-old Darin Erstad off waivers from the Anaheim Angels.

"I've got one word for you...1917," said White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams. "I want to win now and Darin Erstad is the type of grinder who can lead us to a pennant. We've been after this guy for quite some time." ....
It's funny because it's true.
:)

bigfoot
09-04-2004, 06:55 PM
KW is still the GM in 2011? Keep the sharp objects hidden!

batmanZoSo
09-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Nevermind.

Jjav829
09-04-2004, 10:30 PM

I guess that's kind of funny, but let's be clear here, this isn't an Erstad to the Sox rumor. The White Sox are not mentioned once in that article. The article talks about how the Angels could see some big movement this offseason and brings up the fact that Erstad's name comes up in rumors every offseason. The writer says that the Angels have a cheap replacement for Erstad, though he only says that Erstad's name comes up in trade rumors every offseason. He never specifically states that the Angels will look to trade Erstad, and he never mentions the White Sox. This isn't a rumor. This is just a suggestion by a poster.

gosox41
09-05-2004, 08:38 AM
hasn't erstad played outfield in the past? if we could in fact trade garland for him (!!!) or at any rate someone not named walnuts, we could have him, crash and lee in the OF. not the best defensive OF in baseball. . .especially throwing-wise, but a big offensive improvement over crash/lee/gload.

let's see what happens here before we say kenny got kermited
Erstad has knee problems. He is not anywhere near the OFer he was.

As much as I get on Garland, the Sox can get much more for him then an overpaid, non-hitting first baseman.

If the Sox do trade for Erstad, maybe it will finally wake some of the KW supporters up and turn against him. As if the last 4 years weren't enough.

Bob

Fungo
09-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Non-hitting? Erstad currently has a .318 average.

gosox41
09-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Non-hitting? Erstad currently has a .318 average.
This would be the second time in his career hie is above .300. And he still has an OPS below .800. Doesn't take many walks and doesn't have any power. He is not worth $8 mill per year in salary.

Bob

cornball
09-06-2004, 09:13 AM
I guess that's kind of funny, but let's be clear here, this isn't an Erstad to the Sox rumor. The White Sox are not mentioned once in that article. The article talks about how the Angels could see some big movement this offseason and brings up the fact that Erstad's name comes up in rumors every offseason. The writer says that the Angels have a cheap replacement for Erstad, though he only says that Erstad's name comes up in trade rumors every offseason. He never specifically states that the Angels will look to trade Erstad, and he never mentions the White Sox. This isn't a rumor. This is just a suggestion by a poster.
Your exactly right!!! All I was showing was an article saying the Angels maybe interested in moving Erstad in the off season based on this article. With that said, KW falls in love with certain players (the Alomars, Everret for examples) and we know he thought he had Erstad at one time. Would he be willing to continue the hunt? Thats all. It is a little slow around here.

Many of you would lose in the telephone game.

SOXSINCE'70
09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Any way the Sox could get their hands on Frankie Rodriguez,Brendan Donnelly,Guerrerro,Jose Guillen or Garret Anderson??:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

fquaye149
09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Your exactly right!!! All I was showing was an article saying the Angels maybe interested in moving Erstad in the off season based on this article. With that said, KW falls in love with certain players (the Alomars, Everret for examples) and we know he thought he had Erstad at one time. Would he be willing to continue the hunt? Thats all. It is a little slow around here.

Many of you would lose in the telephone game.
so what you're saying is kenny has an offer on the table of frank, shingo and diaz for erstad and a bag of balls?