PDA

View Full Version : Giambi and steroids

gosox41
09-03-2004, 05:59 PM
GIambi supposedly had his benign tumor in his pituitary gland. He didn't want that mentioned because there is talk that steroid abuse could lead to a tumor there.

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1874048

Now, I'm no biologist, but the I'm sure the pituitary gland is part of the brain. Of course this explains why Sosa hasn't had any benign tumors yet.

Bob

SoxEd
09-03-2004, 06:27 PM
A guy I used to work for had had to have part of his pituitary cut out when he was 20 (years ago).

As the gland controls the body's hormonal set-up, he ended up having to have anabolic steroid (specifically testosterone) injections monthly to maintain his health (and man, could you ever tell when he was due a shot - talk about a temper).

While the artilce says that Giambi's currently on corticosteroids (not banned), if he did have to have surgery on the pituitary, followed by shots of anabolic steroids, would this affect his right to play?

I mean, he would be taking banned drugs all the time, right, so what would happen?

(NB I'm not saying that I want this to happen to him, I hope he gets better without the need for any surgery - who'd want anyone messing around insude their head and cutting bits of their brain out? - I was just posting this as a hypothetical situation)

SomebodyToldMe
09-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Now, I'm no biologist, but the I'm sure the pituitary gland is part of the brain. Of course this explains why Sosa hasn't had any benign tumors yet.

Bob
ZING!

munchman33
09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
While the artilce says that Giambi's currently on corticosteroids (not banned), if he did have to have surgery on the pituitary, followed by shots of anabolic steroids, would this affect his right to play?

I mean, he would be taking banned drugs all the time, right, so what would happen?

The league would more than likely allow him to ignore that rule, as it is related to his health. Ala John Olerud getting to wear a batting helmet in the field.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2004, 01:49 AM
The league would more than likely allow him to ignore that rule, as it is related to his health. Ala John Olerud getting to wear a batting helmet in the field.I am unaware of any rule against wearing a batting helmet in the field. Dick Allen always wore one, a holdover from his days in Philadelphia when the fans threw stuff at him.

daveeym
09-04-2004, 03:51 AM
The league would more than likely allow him to ignore that rule, as it is related to his health. Ala John Olerud getting to wear a batting helmet in the field. I'm pretty sure if its prescribed for health reasons it would be ok. however, the question would more likely be whether he'd be able to play at the same level at all after the surgery. And although corticosteroids do not build bulk they still would show as a positive test and I believe are banned that's where a prescription comes into play.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2004, 04:20 AM
...And although corticosteroids do not build bulk they still would show as a positive test and I believe are banned that's where a prescription comes into play.They inject cortisone into knees and shoulders all the time. I don't think they are banned.

daveeym
09-04-2004, 12:11 PM
They inject cortisone into knees and shoulders all the time. I don't think they are banned. Well corticosteroids is a category of steroids that involve many different drugs, down to the most well known of hydrocortisone, which is used in many over the counter products. The pill corticosteroids used to treat inflammation are illegal without a prescription in the NCAA and i'd imagine it's the same in the MLB.

They're also used to treat asthma, asthmatics can use them in most sports with a prescription no problem (i seem to remember some track and field incident where they were trying to ding an asthmatic for using them a while back), but there has been plenty of cases where non-asthmatics have been fined, suspended or had medals taken away for using them.