PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Gwynn

Spiff
10-05-2001, 04:38 PM
From Espn.com

"3. What's your favorite heckle of all time?

Gwynn: Wrigley Field. Without question. "Fee Fi Fo Fum, Tony Gwynn's a %#@&-ing bum." And in your first big-league game at Wrigley Field, that's intimidating as hell. It is. I mean, Wrigley was great. They pulled out all the stuff. "Get the cheeseburgers out of your pocket." And they called me "Snack Bar." They threw Snicker bars at me. They ragged me about as good as you can be ragged, I think."

Classy? You betcher ass. But don't worry, they don't care if they win, so it's alright to heckle one of the classiest guys in baseball.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
From Espn.com

"3. What's your favorite heckle of all time?

Gwynn: Wrigley Field. Without question. "Fee Fi Fo Fum, Tony Gwynn's a %#@&-ing bum." And in your first big-league game at Wrigley Field, that's intimidating as hell. It is. I mean, Wrigley was great. They pulled out all the stuff. "Get the cheeseburgers out of your pocket." And they called me "Snack Bar." They threw Snicker bars at me. They ragged me about as good as you can be ragged, I think."

Classy? You betcher ass. But don't worry, they don't care if they win, so it's alright to heckle one of the classiest guys in baseball. you mean you never heckle anybody?

Spiff
10-05-2001, 04:44 PM
To add to that so I don't get the wrong point across.

I know heckling is a part of baseball. And he doesn't even seem to care about what they do to him. Whatever. But Cubs fans make Wrigley out to be some kind of community-baseball-lovefest, and say it's not important if the Cubs win. Well they can't have it both ways.

Spiff
10-05-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
you mean you never heckle anybody?

And no, I don't usually heckle people. Except when I'm bowling and trying to make my friends screw up. Muhaha.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 04:58 PM

And no, I don't usually heckle people. Except when I'm bowling and trying to make my friends screw up. Muhaha. so you never went to a ballgame and heckle anybody???

tradition has always been to heckle the ballplayers, whether or not they go overboard, i am not going into that right now. even yelling that someone is a bummed, is part of the game. maybe that is why they asked him that question of heckling.

you are guilty of heckling, no matter whether it was a friend or not, the question was did you ever heckle ANYBODY. you answered it in your words, look above.

btw, i thought the razzing that TG got was funny and obvious he thought so to.

Spiff
10-05-2001, 05:01 PM
so you never went to a ballgame and heckle anybody???

tradition has always been to heckle the ballplayers, whether or not they go overboard, i am not going into that right now. even yelling that someone is a bummed, is part of the game. maybe that is why they asked him that question of heckling.

you are guilty of heckling, no matter whether it was a friend or not, the question was did you ever heckle ANYBODY. you answered it in your words, look above.

btw, i thought the razzing that TG got was funny and obvious he thought so to.

Ugh I just said, the actual heckling wasn't my point. I didn't say oh poor Tony Gwynn they're pickin on him. My point is it's not the philanthropist atmosphere they make it out to be.

And oh no I'm guilty of heckling my friend. Arrest me now.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 05:06 PM

Ugh I just said, the actual heckling wasn't my point. I didn't say oh poor Tony Gwynn they're pickin on him. My point is it's not the philanthropist atmosphere they make it out to be.

And oh no I'm guilty of heckling my friend. Arrest me now. you are making this that you are this poor innocent person who don't condone heckling, i responded to your first post........ look at the sequence of post bud. you came on after. and then you said you usually don't heckle...... make up your mind on where you stand.

Spiff
10-05-2001, 05:13 PM
you are making this that you are this poor innocent person who don't condone heckling, i responded to your first post........ look at the sequence of post bud. you came on after. and then you said you usually don't heckle...... make up your mind on where you stand.

OK OK OK I WILL SPEAK IN CAPS SO THAT MAYBE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND. I NEVER SAID I WAS A POOR INNOCENT PERSON. I NEVER SAID HECKLING WAS WRONG. IT'S NOT AS THOUGH I'D NEVER HEARD OF SOMETHING LIKE THIS. BUT THE CUBS PROMOTE THEMSELVES WITH STUFF LIKE "COME TO WRIGLEY AND HAVE SOME GOOD FAMILY FUN WITH OUR LOVEABLE CUBBES" WHEN THAT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE. I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU DECIDED TO DEFEND WRIGLEY, MAYBE YOU JUST WANTED TO PICK A FIGHT. MAYBE BECAUSE YOU THINK I WAS CORRECTING YOU IN THAT OTHER THREAD, ABOUT SMITH AND WESSON.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 05:24 PM

OK OK OK I WILL SPEAK IN CAPS SO THAT MAYBE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND. I NEVER SAID I WAS A POOR INNOCENT PERSON. I NEVER SAID HECKLING WAS WRONG. IT'S NOT AS THOUGH I'D NEVER HEARD OF SOMETHING LIKE THIS. BUT THE CUBS PROMOTE THEMSELVES WITH STUFF LIKE "COME TO WRIGLEY AND HAVE SOME GOOD FAMILY FUN WITH OUR LOVEABLE CUBBES" WHEN THAT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE. I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU DECIDED TO DEFEND WRIGLEY, MAYBE YOU JUST WANTED TO PICK A FIGHT. MAYBE BECAUSE YOU THINK I WAS CORRECTING YOU IN THAT OTHER THREAD, ABOUT SMITH AND WESSON. man get real.......... if i wanted to continue an argument from a previous post i would have gone on to that post and said something....... grow up. i choice to ignore your last comment as being a bit defensive on that post.

second and i will say this again, look at your first post, i responded to that....... ok..... you understand what i am saying. later when you came back to explain yourself, after i have posted my post, i didn't respond to you. ok.... you got this by now. you then came back on a hissy fit. so what the sCrubs promote themselves as that. tradition of the game has always had hecklers.......... you are the one who said you don't usually heckle and that is when you again got defensive........ so grow up and quit getting into a hissy fit about what you are saying.

Spiff
10-05-2001, 05:29 PM
man get real.......... if i wanted to continue an argument from a previous post i would have gone on to that post and said something....... grow up. i choice to ignore your last comment as being a bit defensive on that post.

second and i will say this again, look at your first post, i responded to that....... ok..... you understand what i am saying. later when you came back to explain yourself, after i have posted my post, i didn't respond to you. ok.... you got this by now. you then came back on a hissy fit. so what the sCrubs promote themselves as that. tradition of the game has always had hecklers.......... you are the one who said you don't usually heckle and that is when you again got defensive........ so grow up and quit getting into a hissy fit about what you are saying.

I think you're confusing frustration at you not getting my point for a "hissy fit."

And I don't usually heckle at games, it looks pathetic. HEY BALLPLAYER you are not good at hitting a baseball. I am wondering how you ever got to wear that ugly uniform. You smell really bad.

There's a difference between that and kidding around with your friends.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 05:40 PM

I think you're confusing frustration at you not getting my point for a "hissy fit."

And I don't usually heckle at games, it looks pathetic. HEY BALLPLAYER you are not good at hitting a baseball. I am wondering how you ever got to wear that ugly uniform. You smell really bad.

There's a difference between that and kidding around with your friends. heckle is a heckle whether its with friends or not...... so when you said that '" You Don't usually heckle at games, i will take that as you don't ever heckle at ball games"....... now we understand each other you nevered heckled at a game.

As i said in several post before, heckling is part of the game as anything else...... some teams make it an art. i remember that the sox, back in the 70, with the south side hitman era, were the worst in the league.......... that is the truth.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Well, this was certainly a productive thread. :)

Daver
10-05-2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Well, this was certainly a productive thread.

I was at least hoping to find out if it is OK to heckle mimes.

Guess I'll never find out now.

Jerry_Manuel
10-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Well, this was certainly a productive thread.

The off-season is back!
Well, after Sunday.

Jerry_Manuel
10-05-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by daver
I was at least hoping to find out if it is OK to heckle mimes.

Guess I'll never find out now.

I can tell you, yes.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I can tell you, yes. But, do you have to heckle mimes silently?

Jerry_Manuel
10-05-2001, 06:45 PM
But, do you have to heckle mimes silently?

No you don't, but that's just my view of the situation.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2001, 07:18 PM
Hands-down, worst thread of the day.

Jerry_Manuel
10-05-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Hands-down, worst thread of the day.

Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons:
"Worst Episode Ever"

Spiff
10-05-2001, 07:33 PM
It totally went the wrong way.

Embarrassed to be the thread starter.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 07:37 PM
It totally went the wrong way.

Embarrassed to be the thread starter. Hey, somebody has to start the "Worst Thread of the Day". :)

Spiff
10-05-2001, 07:48 PM
Hey, somebody has to start the "Worst Thread of the Day". :)

It will be my new gimmick. Watch me go.

WinningUgly!
10-05-2001, 08:07 PM
But, do you have to heckle mimes silently?

All it takes is one finger!

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

All it takes is one finger! One point for WU! :)

LongDistanceFan
10-06-2001, 12:28 AM
But, do you have to heckle mimes silently? funny