PDA

View Full Version : WSI Baseball Card of the Week

Baby Fisk
09-02-2004, 05:25 PM
This powder blue lounge uniform has got to be the worst thing ever worn by the Chicago White Sox. No wonder we lost 106 games. Mercy!

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BaseballCards/Gutteridge70.jpg

HITMEN OF 77
09-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Probably the BEST Sox uni of all time. That's the road version, the home uni's were all white, blue outlines with "SOX" on the front chest. The 1st ever uniform to feature a complete team name. The 1970 BB card photo (1969 jersey version with the 100 year MLB patch, 1970 doesn't have that) actually makes the uniform look more blue than it is. Its actually a blueish gray with a dark blue outline. I love the "CHICAGO" script across the front. I will have to take a photo and post my 1970 Ed Herrmann game jersey on here, by far my favorite of the many game used items in my collection.

Foulke You
09-02-2004, 07:58 PM
This powder blue lounge uniform has got to be the worst thing ever worn by the Chicago White Sox. No wonder we lost 106 games. Mercy!

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BaseballCards/Gutteridge70.jpg
Yikes, that uni is pretty hideous. That uniform would fit our team if we were called the "Chicago Easter Eggs".:cool: Of course, I wasn't born yet then so I have no emotional attachment to it.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Granted, the 1969 uniforms had major design problems. The numerals and lettering were barely legible, white on powder blue. The white stirrups over blue sanitary socks looked truly bizarre, too.

However, to call these uniforms the worst in Sox history is quite a stretch.

In just my lifetime, I would easily rank Veeck's floppy-collared "retro" look pajamas the worst. Their only saving grace was anticipating the future of baseball uniform fashion, pre-dating everybody else's return to traditional uniform styles by at least 5 years.

Nearly as bad are those 1982 sailor-boy outfits that today's fashion crowd has suddenly adopted. Ugh... their only redeeming value was the on-field success the team achieved wearing these double-knits for one season: 1983. That design was hopelessly dated from the moment the Sox introduced them. That's why they only lasted 5 seasons. The return to traditional uniform styles was in full swing by 1987, and I don't know a single Sox Fan from back in 1987 that was the least bit disappointed that the Sox retired those butt-ugly jersies and that fat elastic waistband. Jeezus, Luzinski's gut hung a full five inches over the top of his britches.

The '87 uniforms would have been fine if not for the pig-tail "C" caps. The 1964 navy-colored Sox uniforms were near-perfect, too, and the powder blue road uniform was an inspired design. With all due respect to the black-colored Sox uniforms of the 50's, they weren't very distinctive compared to Detroit, New York, or Washington. An update to the basic design was inevitable.

So, here are my preferences, ranked highest to lowest.

1. 1991 black-base with silver.
2. 1964 navy-base color.
3. 1950's black-base with red.
4. 1987 script "White Sox"
5. 1969 blue sanitary socks.
6. 1982 sailor boy/back to the 70's look.
7. 1976 Veeck's retro pullover pajamas

There... I feel better.

:redface:

TornLabrum
09-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Granted, the 1969 uniforms had major design problems. The numerals and lettering were barely legible, white on powder blue. The white stirrups over blue sanitary socks looked truly bizarre, too.

In just my lifetime, I would easily rank Veeck's floppy-collared "retro" look pajamas the worst. Their only saving grace was anticipating the future of baseball uniform fashion, pre-dating everybody else's return to traditional uniform styles by at least 5 years.

Nearly as bad are those 1982 sailor-boy outfits that today's fashion crowd has suddenly adopted. Ugh... their only redeeming value was the on-field success the team achieved wearing these double-knits for one season: 1983. That design was hopelessly dated from the moment the Sox introduced them. That's why they only lasted 5 seasons. The return to traditional uniform styles was in full swing by 1987, and I don't know a single Sox Fan from back in 1987 that was the least bit disappointed that the Sox retired those butt-ugly jersies and that fat elastic waistband. Jeezus, Luzinski's gut hung a full five inches over the top of his britches.

The '87 uniforms would have been fine if not for the pig-tail "C" caps. The 1964 navy-colored Sox uniforms were near-perfect, too, and the powder blue road uniform was an inspired design. With all due respect to the black-colored Sox uniforms of the 50's, they weren't very distinctive compared to Detroit, New York, or Washington. An update to the basic design was inevitable.

2. 1964 navy-base color.

There... I feel better.

Rich Lindberg had a possible reason why a lot of Sox fans think the '68-'70 uniforms are so widely hated. I don't think I need to give a full explanations, just a little hint. Team quality.

HITMEN OF 77
09-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Rich Lindberg had a possible reason why a lot of Sox fans think the '68-'70 uniforms are so widely hated. I don't think I need to give a full explanations, just a little hint. Team quality.
That's 100% true actually. I still love those guys though, Berry, John, Hopkins, Knoop, May, Hansen, No Neck, McCraw, Bradford, Janeski, Hamilton....

skobabe8
09-03-2004, 11:09 AM

2. 1964 navy-base color.

There... I feel better.

No late 90's "Campbells soup C" unis? I liked those! :D:

Baby Fisk
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
No late 90's "Campbells soup C" unis? I liked those! :D:Those are the 1987 ones on PHG's list. I liked those too.

My faves have always been Veeck's crazy retro 1976 sailor suits. It's the first Sox uniform I ever laid eyes on and is still the best!

I'd love to see a retro day where the Sox bring back the CLASSIC navy blue unies from 100 years ago, with genuine WHITE STOCKINGS! :cool:

HITMEN OF 77
09-03-2004, 12:27 PM
No late 90's "Campbells soup C" unis? I liked those! :D:
I always thought they called that the "magical C" on the lat 80's uni's?

Medford Bobby
09-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I wonder if in the Sox archives they have the "other" designs from the fan contest to design the uni's back in 1982. I agree the big "SOX" uni's :angry: sucked. I thought the 1987 uni's were a nice transition to today's current uni's.

OK, my fav's were the RED early '70's Dic Allen uni's, current uni's, Veecks Hitman uni's, those blue uni's and gotta love the GO GO SOX era, with the mid 60's uni's looking much like today's!

Does anybody remember a few years back when the Sox had a turn back the clock with those mid 60's uni's.....I'd love to find some Frank Thomas photos.

:bandance: Oh Happy day the SOX have Seattle in town, how many hits will Ichiro off this staff??????????:(: