PDA

View Full Version : Games ending on Borchard's AB.

Nard
09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Who here is a good stat mongerer?

I want every game that has ended on Borchard's swing.

I swear to God at least a 1/6th or something of the losses have ended on Borchie Boy's swing. It's like every other game.

SomebodyToldMe
09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I was JUST going to say something about this.

I wanna know how many times has the game ended with him striking out.

I've seen it quite a bit.

CWWTWS1
09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
We'll see plenty more of it next year.

LincolnSquareOz
09-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Agreed. It's like deja vu. I'm interested to see if Joe keeps his avg. above .125 before the season's over.

On a side note: Dotel is crap. Moneyball can't be too happy about counting on this guy in a pressure packed playoff situation. The A's are Foulked.

mdep524
09-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Of all of Borchard's "walk off" strike outs this past month, this one tonight was the worst. Pretty much all fastballs from Dotel, and Borchard couldn't do a damn thing with any of them. I mean he was comlpetely helpless up there. You just knew the heater was coming, a couple times it was down the middle, and he couldn't even make contact with any of them, except one anemic foul tap. Pathetic. I have been trying to support Borchard up there despite his struggles, but there was no excuse in that at bat. It is hard to make a case against him officially being a bust.

mike squires
09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
And here we got a guy over there sitting on the bench who got a game winning RBI last night and usually comes through in the clutch in Gload. To me that makes it more frustrating...Unless I missed something and he pinch hit earlier in the game?

Nard
09-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Nope. I guess since Ozzie thinks the season's over, he's not trying to win ballgames anymore.

I can almost guarantee Gload would've gotten a base hit in that situation if Dotel was throwing him those kinds of pitches.

So much for Moneyball... that guy is just garbage.

mike squires
09-02-2004, 04:24 PM
OR at least a walk. He's seems to have an excellent eye at the plate which would have put the winning run at the plate.

Tekijawa
09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
When Kenny Williams said that Borchard was "untouchable" did he mean the player or his bat? I bet there may be one ding from the home run the other day and three scuff marks from the foul balls he's so fond of on the thing.

soxtalker
09-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Nope. I guess since Ozzie thinks the season's over, he's not trying to win ballgames anymore.

I wish that was the case. What I can't understand is why Valentin was in the line up instead of Harris. Borchard stuggling now doesn't bother me, as these games mean nothing. If he strikes out every remaining at bat, it still doesn't make much difference for this year. If there is even a slight chance that he can learn and work through his problems, it is worthwhile.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
If Jonathan Quinn can hit a baseball, can we trade Borchard to the Bears for him?

MisterB
09-02-2004, 04:44 PM
I was JUST going to say something about this.

I wanna know how many times has the game ended with him striking out.

I've seen it quite a bit.
Including today, Borchard has struck out to end the game 6 times (out of 37 games played).

Nard
09-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Not just strike out.

I'm saying games ending on Borchie's AB.

Like that one time he GIDP with the tying run on 3rd.

stl_sox_fan
09-02-2004, 04:50 PM
I feel your pain with Borchard. Living in St Louis I only get to see them on Yahoo. I cringe every time his picture pops up when he's batting. Does he have compromising photos of Guillen or something? Let someone else from the Barons or Knights get a chance to strike out a few times!

kittle42
09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I feel your pain with Borchard. Living in St Louis I only get to see them on Yahoo. I cringe every time his picture pops up when he's batting. Does he have compromising photos of Guillen or something? Let someone else from the Barons or Knights get a chance to strike out a few times!
He is someone from the Knights.

stl_sox_fan
09-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Speaking of Right Field. What is the current situation with Ordonez? Is he close to resigning or do I have to suffer the Borchard/Perez/Gload/Insert Utility player here combination next year?

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Speaking of Right Field. What is the current situation with Ordonez? Is he close to resigning or do I have to suffer the Borchard/Perez/Gload/Insert Utility player here combination next year?
Read the other threads. He gawn.

stl_sox_fan
09-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I was just reading that other thread. That suck-diddly-ucks!!

PorkChopExpress
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
What I can't understand is why Valentin was in the line up instead of Harris.
I was wondering the same thing since Harden is a lefty and Valentin has proven he cannot hit lefties. But I did see him on a visit to the mound and wondered if he was in the game to facilitate conversations between Coop and Contreras.

hellenicsoxfan
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Not just strike out.

I'm saying games ending on Borchie's AB.

Like that one time he GIDP with the tying run on 3rd.
This one didn't actually end the game, but it effectively killed the Sox, for the game and maybe for the season. Game 3 of the series against the Twins, bottom of 9th, men on 1st and 3rd, 1 out, game tied. Borchard swings at first pitch and grounds into double play. Twins score in 10th, Sox lose and get swept. It was this game and all the games since that I've decided in my mind, Borchard - he gone!

Wealz
09-02-2004, 07:06 PM
By all accounts Borchard is a good guy and hard worker, but given his ridiculous signing bonus and his incredibly atrocious performance (K/3 AB's career), I don't think there's been a bigger stiff to wear a Sox uniform in the last 20 years.

balke
09-02-2004, 07:17 PM

I can almost guarantee Gload would've gotten a base hit in that situation if Dotel was throwing him those kinds of pitches.

So much for Moneyball... that guy is just garbage.
Ozzie's gut told him Borchard can play... even though Ozzie just ripped Borchard in the media for not being able to play... color me :?:

beckett21
09-02-2004, 07:25 PM
The Sox problems for this season transcend Borchard.

Yes I am sick of seeing wasted AB's just as much as the next guy. But as has been mentioned in the past, now is the time for him to learn the game. No pressure, pretty much nothing to play for.

Until he has been fed a regular diet of major-league pitching, it is unfair to expect too much out of him. Yes you have your occasional phenoms like Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols. But those are the exceptions and not the rule.

Let's see what he's got. I'll admit things do not look good for him right now, but with the season effectively over let him get some experience in game-situations.

I should mention that I was at the game today and was REALLY hoping to see Ross Gload up there in the 9th. But one crappy month is no excuse to throw Borchard into the dumpster.

If we are going to point fingers and lay blame for this season's failures, then let's start with the injuries to Magglio and Frank. Follow that with a weak bullpen and no 5th starter. Then I am looking squarely at the left side of the infield, you know who you are Joe Crede and Jose *Golden Sombrero* Valentin.

Borchard is an innocent bystander in this train wreck. As much as he aggravates me, I just hope he is getting some valuable experience which just MIGHT pay off someday. It could be that he is a colossal bust. But we should not make that assumption yet.

soxtalker
09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
By all accounts Borchard is a good guy and hard worker, but given his ridiculous signing bonus and his incredibly atrocious performance (K/3 AB's career), I don't think there's been a bigger stiff to wear a Sox uniform in the last 20 years.
Even if Borchard does turn out to be a bust, there is lots of competition in the past 20 years for that title. Oh, the $5M signing bonus is unique, but there have been plenty of players -- think of all the pitchers alone -- who have had high expectations.

Flight #24
09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Even if Borchard does turn out to be a bust, there is lots of competition in the past 20 years for that title. Oh, the $5M signing bonus is unique, but there have been plenty of players -- think of all the pitchers alone -- who have had high expectations.
IIRC, the $5m bonus was a SOX record, but not an ML one. There have been and likely will be much bigger busts.

Wealz
09-02-2004, 09:08 PM
IIRC, the $5m bonus was a SOX record, but not an ML one. There have been and likely will be much bigger busts.
Actually it is a major league record and was negotiated by Jack McDowell's brother, Jim.

Whitesox029
09-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Who here is a good stat mongerer?

I want every game that has ended on Borchard's swing.

I swear to God at least a 1/6th or something of the losses have ended on Borchie Boy's swing. It's like every other game.I remember vividly the second game of the Boston disaster ending with him strking out and it sounding like Fenway.

Flight #24
09-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Actually it is a major league record and was negotiated by Jack McDowell's brother, Jim.
I stand corrected. And also surprised that in all the Bora$$ negotiations no one's ever gotten more than $5mil.

34 Inch Stick
09-03-2004, 06:45 AM
He is no longer LTP he is HTJ for horse toothed jackass.

gosox41
09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
One difference is a lot of those pitchers failed in thje minor leagues for whatever reason. Borchard has had some success there so you know the Sox will keep playing him in the major leagues to see if he can catch on. If one day he figures it then it can only help, but it's hard to pass on those great athletes as high draft picks.

I still support Borchard, but I am beginning to question the Sox scouting/talent evaluation more then ever.

Bob