PDA

View Full Version : Guillen takes dig at Borchard

SoxxoS
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
This isn't that obvious, though.

Guillen said the Sox don't need to mimic the "Moneyball" techniques patented by Oakland general manager Billy Beane. Nor do they need over-hyped, multisport athletes on the roster.

Some guy is a football player, he's got tools, 6-7, 300 pounds, every time he hits the ball it goes 500 feet," Guillen scoffed. "Just find baseball players. Don't find tools."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=38232111

Wanne
09-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Don't find tools."

There's a bunch of "tools" on this team. Garland...Crede...Valentin...

Clembasbal
09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Quote:

"Just find baseball players. Don't find tools."
This is where the language barrier comes into play, though I wish and want to believe he rally meant that instead of 5-tool players.

Speaking of Guillen, is anybody else tired of the way he calls everybody in baseball a "kid"? Ozzie, you are freaking 40, your children are like 14 and younger...they are kids not Contreas and Roberto Alomar (Had to get that off my chest):tongue:

Nard
09-02-2004, 03:41 PM
The best is when he called MJ a kid.

Had to do a double take there.

daveeym
09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
I think ozzie's trying to get fired, taking digs left and right at his players, he hasn't been trying to motivate by calling out guys he's been flat out saying and implying that certain players suck. Kinda rediculous if you ask me.

Nard
09-02-2004, 05:32 PM
It's really hurting his reputation around the league.

It seems like every time the MLB.TV thing is showing the opponent's feed, their broadcasters start off the show talking about how Ozzie is known for taking outright digs at his players. None of them seem to keen on it, either.

Randar68
09-02-2004, 05:35 PM

It seems like every time the MLB.TV thing is showing the opponent's feed, their broadcasters start off the show talking about how Ozzie is known for taking outright digs at his players. None of them seem to keen on it, either.
Cito Gaston would have been a terrible fit for this team

SoxFan76
09-02-2004, 05:37 PM

Cry me a river. Ozzie is stuck with a bunch of puss players who don't have the balls to perform at even an adequate level. I salute you Ozzie for calling out these sorry excuses for baseball players. Ozzie busted his ass for his entire career, you figure some of these guys could do the same.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Cry me a river. Ozzie is stuck with a bunch of puss players who don't have the balls to perform at even an adequate level. I salute you Ozzie for calling out these sorry excuses for baseball players. Ozzie busted his ass for his entire career, you figure some of these guys could do the same.
Seriously - what do you want - Dusty Baker, who, at the expense of common sense, not only backs his players, but makes outlandish comments supporting them when they clearly are wrong? Just what we need - TWO teams of whiners in this city.

CWWTWS1
09-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Just remember that Ozzie ball is an attitude. Honestly though, Guillen has been attacking players since his initial press conference. He called out Frank and has not stopped going after players since.

Nard
09-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Cry me a river. Ozzie is stuck with a bunch of puss players who don't have the balls to perform at even an adequate level. I salute you Ozzie for calling out these sorry excuses for baseball players. Ozzie busted his ass for his entire career, you figure some of these guys could do the same. I'm just talking about what the other broadcasters think.

Personally I think Ozzie's comments have been weak, as opposed to what these bunch of pansies really deserve.

Ozzie has some incredible anger management control. I'd be flipping over tables KW style, ripping doors of hinges, getting into the faces of the likes of Borchie Boy, Alomar.

I did like Hawk/DJ's comments on Crede the other day. Crede is one of the hardest working guys on the team. Running the basepaths hard, playing the best defense out of anyone, taking HBPs for the team, all of it. He "makes no excuses" for other aspects of his game besides his hitting.

soxtalker
09-02-2004, 05:43 PM
I could understand if a player isn't trying. However, everything I hear about Borchard indicates that he is working very hard. IIRC, one of the announcers (Wills??) said that he was always one of the first to the park to take batting practice. How does it help a player who is struggling but trying to hear that his manager is telling the media how bad he is? That should be reserved for the players who don't try.

I_Liked_Manuel
09-02-2004, 05:44 PM
i dont understand the difference between ozzie busting his ass as a player and hitting .240 and borchard busting his ass and hitting .160. the bottom line is borchard sucks at what he's doing, and ozzie pretty much sucked too. ozzie needs to look in the mirror once in a while.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Just remember that Ozzie ball is an attitude. Honestly though, Guillen has been attacking players since his initial press conference. He called out Frank and has not stopped going after players since.
Good. If I were a player, that would be the kind of manager I want - someone who demands culpability - not like the aforementioned Dusty "Kid on My Lap" Baker who, like the rest of his team, blames everything on luck, the umpires, and the actions of the other team.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
i dont understand the difference between ozzie busting his ass as a player and hitting .240 and borchard busting his ass and hitting .160. the bottom line is borchard sucks at what he's doing, and ozzie pretty much sucked too. ozzie needs to look in the mirror once in a while.
80 points.

And plenty of good managers have been horrible players (not that Ozzie was horrible at all in an era of light-hitting SS). Could the Sox have said the same thing to any criticism from Gene Lamont, Jerry Manuel or any other manager with a crappy ML career?

This is as stupid as the oft-recited "He never played the game, so he has no right to say anything" mantra that many pro players repeat.

SoxFan76
09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
He called out Frank, and Frank responded--with his bat. Not like Schoenweis who responded by crying like a baby. Get rid of those players. Get more Rowands and such. (I was going to say get more Frank Thomas like players, but that's impossible)

CWWTWS1
09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Good. If I were a player, that would be the kind of manager I want - someone who demands culpability - not like the aforementioned Dusty "Kid on My Lap" Baker who, like the rest of his team, blames everything on luck, the umpires, and the actions of the other team.
I disagree. It's one thing to demand permormance, it's quite another to publicly call out players in the media. That is busch league. If you have a beef with a player you call him in, shut the door in your office and have at it. This stuff Guillen is pulling will have him launched before he knows it.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
He called out Frank, and Frank responded--with his bat. Not like Schoenweis who responded by crying like a baby. Get rid of those players. Get more Rowands and such. (I was going to say get more Frank Thomas like players, but that's impossible)If by more Rowands you mean more guys who work on their craft and bust ass, fine. Unfortunately, JR's definition of more Rowands = young guys making very little who will help the bottom line.

kittle42
09-02-2004, 05:50 PM
That is busch league.
I love busch league! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :dtroll:

daveeym
09-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I disagree. It's one thing to demand permormance, it's quite another to publicly call out players in the media. That is busch league. If you have a beef with a player you call him in, shut the door in your office and have at it. This stuff Guillen is pulling will have him launched before he knows it. Exactly what my point was earlier, challenging a player to do better or to make a change when being stubborn is one thing, basically singling out players and saying they suck is NOT what a manager is there for. Ozzie's gotta deal with the hand he's been dealt, work with KW in assessing this team and identifying what changes kw needs to try to make, he does not need to be ****ing singling out individuals in the media for lack of ability. Then you start getting players mf'n ozzie to the media and a jacked up clubhouse. Demote em, waive em, trade em whatever, but ozzie's gotta stop screwing his players to the media.

bigfoot
09-02-2004, 07:41 PM
This is where the language barrier comes into play, though I wish and want to believe he rally meant that instead of 5-tool players.

Speaking of Guillen, is anybody else tired of the way he calls everybody in baseball a "kid"? Ozzie, you are freaking 40, your children are like 14 and younger...they are kids not Contreas and Roberto Alomar (Had to get that off my chest):tongue:
Ozzie's command of the English language seems to be a bit limited. He probably picked up that 'kid' affectation from Marlin mgr. Jack McKeon. To McKeon, Satchel Paige was a youngster!

TornLabrum
09-02-2004, 08:50 PM
I disagree. It's one thing to demand permormance, it's quite another to publicly call out players in the media. That is busch league.
Anhaueser?

I'm ssang, and I'm still an IDIOT!
09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
To McKeon, Satchel Paige was a youngster!
LOL:D:

batmanZoSo
09-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Anhaueser?
No, Busch as in stock car racing.

Rex Hudler
09-03-2004, 12:47 AM
I think Ozzie's comment was very unfair....... He seems to be forgetting that Borchard was a very good baseball player at Stanford and in 2001 at Birmingham. Borchard was never a tools only guy. Obviously he has not had success since 2001, but Borchard was a good baseball player. That's what the Sox drafted and thought they would get. Sometimes things don't work out.

OurBitchinMinny
09-03-2004, 12:50 AM
I wanted hargrove, but he would have been to expensive for uncle jerry

LuvSox
09-03-2004, 12:57 AM
:redneck

gosox41
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM

Where are all the Ozzie supporters now?

I work in a team role at work. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go to another department w/in the company (or to a competitor) and start bad mouthing the guys I work with.

But then again the Sox GM likes to call the players MF'ers and bad mouth them to other teams GM's (as was reported last year in the Sun Times).

Bob

ode to veeck
09-03-2004, 10:52 AM
On top of the 80 pts, Ozzie was the best defensive player I've seen in the last 20 years

FanOf14
09-03-2004, 10:56 AM
LOL! I was hoping someone would respond with this! :tongue: :D:

CWWTWS1
09-03-2004, 11:00 AM
C'mon, guys. It was a typo.:redface: :)

Baby Fisk
09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Cito Gaston would have been a terrible fit for this teamNot so fast, Randar. You forget these equations:

Cito Gaston + Highest Payroll in MLB for 1992 & 1993 = World Championships

Cito Gaston + current Sox payroll = Gandhi #2

You'll notice that once the Yankees and Braves jacked up their payrolls in the mid-90s, the Jays concurrently slipped out of contention. Jays ownership was content with 2 straight titles and decided to cut payroll after '93. Gaston could no longer just pull a Paul Molitor out of thin air to replace a Dave Winfield. Instead, the Jays went into a decline, and Toronto fans were treated to such memorable scenes as Gaston throwing a tirade on David Wells right on the pitcher's mound in Skydome one afternoon in 1995 or 1996 (I forget when it was exactly, but it demonstrated that Gaston was not exactly the coolest under adversity).

Gaston managing the current Sox would have been the same kind of fiasco that happened to us this year. Eg:

Cito: "Damn, Frank Thomas is out for the season. Get me Larry Walker!"

Kenny: "That's a good one, Cito. Here's Crazy Carl Everett instead."

Cito: "You gotta be ******* kidding me. Alright, well since Maggs is out, how 'bout you go and get me a Sheffield or a Guerrero?"

Kenny: "How bout you make use of a Borchard instead."

Cito: *stares at Kenny long and hard, realizing he is doomed*

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Ozzie has a son starting college this fall.His kids are older than you think.
Just an FYI.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Not so fast, Randar. You forget these equations:

Cito Gaston + Highest Payroll in MLB for 1992 & 1993 = World Championships

Cito Gaston + current Sox payroll = Gandhi #2

You'll notice that once the Yankees and Braves jacked up their payrolls in the mid-90s, the Jays concurrently slipped out of contention. Jays ownership was content with 2 straight titles and decided to cut payroll after '93. Gaston could no longer just pull a Paul Molitor out of thin air to replace a Dave Winfield. Instead, the Jays went into a decline, and Toronto fans were treated to such memorable scenes as Gaston throwing a tirade on David Wells right on the pitcher's mound in Skydome one afternoon in 1995 or 1996 (I forget when it was exactly, but it demonstrated that Gaston was not exactly the coolest under adversity).

Gaston managing the current Sox would have been the same kind of fiasco that happened to us this year. Eg:

Cito: "Damn, Frank Thomas is out for the season. Get me Larry Walker!"

Kenny: "That's a good one, Cito. Here's Crazy Carl Everett instead."

Cito: "You gotta be ******* kidding me. Alright, well since Maggs is out, how 'bout you go and get me a Sheffield or a Guerrero?"

Kenny: "How bout you make use of a Borchard instead."

Cito: *stares at Kenny long and hard, realizing he is doomed*
You're right.Either the payroll goes up or this team is headed for a Godawful free fall.I've been a die hard Sox fan for 34 years.Many have suffered the slings and arrows of cheap ownership and management far longer.I just don't know how much Sox love I have left.This team quits on its' fans year after year.Ownership doesn't care.I'm beginning to think i'm a fool for doing so myself.Maybe I should root for the Dodgers,A's,or Braves.

daveeym
09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
You're right.Either the payroll goes up or this team is headed for a Godawful free fall.I've been a die hard Sox fan for 34 years.Many have suffered the slings and arrows of cheap ownership and management far longer.I just don't know how much Sox love I have left.This team quits on its' fans year after year.Ownership doesn't care.I'm beginning to think i'm a fool for doing so myself.Maybe I should root for the Dodgers,A's,or Braves.
Fortunately or unfortunately for sox fans just wait till spring training starts and the virus hits ya and the love starts showing through again.

Baby Fisk
09-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Maybe I should root for the Dodgers,A's,or Braves.Get ahold of yourself! Don't do anything rash! We can all relate.

I just wish the ownership would stop this (for lack of a better word) TINKERING with the Sox roster every year, and commit to an all-out assault to buy the best players possible. Two, three, four years, whatever it takes to finally buy nail down a title. It sickens me to watch this team crawl through the mud to its usual mediocre finish year after year. If we wait around for the minor league system to produce some future Sox dream team, we will be waiting a long time. All we are asking for is ONE MEASLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP so we can all die with happy memories. Is that too much to hope for? :(:

balke
09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
All we are asking for is ONE MEASLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP so we can all die with happy memories. Is that too much to hope for? :(:
hehe.

soxtalker
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Get ahold of yourself! Don't do anything rash! We can all relate.

I just wish the ownership would stop this (for lack of a better word) TINKERING with the Sox roster every year, and commit to an all-out assault to buy the best players possible. Two, three, four years, whatever it takes to finally buy nail down a title. It sickens me to watch this team crawl through the mud to its usual mediocre finish year after year. If we wait around for the minor league system to produce some future Sox dream team, we will be waiting a long time. All we are asking for is ONE MEASLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP so we can all die with happy memories. Is that too much to hope for? :(:
That "tinkering" you refer to may be an indication that the entire organization is struggling.

It sounds great to "buy the best players possible," but I don't think that it is that easy. Take a look at the Yankees. Now, they are still in first place, and they may end up on top, but it sure doesn't look like it right now. They've spent a ton of money, and I just heard recently that they were characterized as having their worst pitching staff of the past few years. (Let me be clear, this is comparing Yankee teams.) Would I like to have their problems? Sure. But the point I'm trying to make is that buying a winning baseball team just isn't that easy.

I'd be happy to wait around for the minor league system to produce a great team. The problem is that I have no confidence that the Sox have an organization that knows how to scout and develop players. Lots of fans have looked at the end of Schueler's administration as an indication that working through the minor leagues doesn't work. That isn't the only possible conclusion, as teams like the Twins show that it can be done. We pretty much only see the players that result from our system; we don't really get an opportunity to evaluate the people who produce those players.

ma-gaga
09-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I'd be happy to wait around for the minor league system to produce a great team. The problem is that I have no confidence that the Sox have an organization that knows how to scout and develop players. Lots of fans have looked at the end of Schueler's administration as an indication that working through the minor leagues doesn't work.How long was Schueler a GM for the W.Sox?

I think the biggest problem is that there is too much pressure to "win now" by the Chicago media, and that results in the Minor League system being decimated by trades every year.

I tell you, as a Twins fan, the period from 1995 to 2000 was really really hard to deal with. 60-70 wins a year was tough to take for 6 years straight. By the end of that 6th year I was thinking that it would NEVER end! Now I'm stuck in wanting to keep the young kid prospect types like Kubel and such and wanting to trade them for the veteran MI that would "assure a championship", which inevitably wouldn't.

Be careful what you ask for. You need to have patience, and I don't know if there is enough...

:gulp:

Baby Fisk
09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
I tell you, as a Twins fan, the period from 1995 to 2000 was really really hard to deal with. 60-70 wins a year was tough to take for 6 years straight. By the end of that 6th year I was thinking that it would NEVER end! Now I'm stuck in wanting to keep the young kid prospect types like Kubel and such and wanting to trade them for the veteran MI that would "assure a championship", which inevitably wouldn't.
Gee, those 6 long years must have been tough. I bet you could barely lay an eye on your WORLD CHAMPIONS 1987 and WORLD CHAMPIONS 1991 merchandise without feeling the pain of those championship memories of yore. How did you ever survive? Try 85 years of futility, then let us know how that feels.

Foulke29
09-03-2004, 05:26 PM
There's a bunch of "tools" on this team. Garland...Crede...Valentin...
Guillen...

Foulke29
09-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Cito Gaston would have been a terrible fit for this team
Tony LaRussa's contract ends this year.

Foulke29
09-03-2004, 05:34 PM
On top of the 80 pts, Ozzie was the best defensive player I've seen in the last 20 years
You obviously mean the one that wore a Padres and Cardinals uniform, right?

ma-gaga
09-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Try 85 years of futility, then let us know how that feels.Fine. I can't compete with that.

I'm just saying this. The record that the W.Sox have put together over the last 15 years is pretty good. They haven't gotten that extra push to get them over the top (and I thought Colon would do it), but you haven't hit dead bottom either.

Don't ask to rebuild your entire team without expecting it to get a whole lot worse than it is today. Basically take the last two months and imagine that across an entire season, then multiply that by 6. At least you had a glimmer of hope in some of those years.

DrCrawdad
09-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Another salvo from Guillen...

Guillen was asked before Friday's game if he saw some consistency in Joe Borchard.

"Consistent what, at strikeouts?" Guillen shot back.

Borchard had struck out 34 times in his first 114 at-bats.

"I would like to see him more consistently make contact," Guillen said. "He puts too much pressure on himself, he tries so hard. He's a hard worker, great kid, but I wish I could see something better out of him the next couple of weeks." - Cubune

SoxxoS
09-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Negative feedback doesn't usually help....

although he is just saying what everyone was thinking.

TornLabrum
09-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Negative feedback doesn't usually help....

although he is just saying what everyone was thinking.
Unless Borchard has that football mentaility. Then it might. Certainly positive feedback hasn't worked up to this point.

daveeym
09-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Another salvo from Guillen...

Quote:
Guillen was asked before Friday's game if he saw some consistency in Joe Borchard.

"Consistent what, at strikeouts?" Guillen shot back.

Borchard had struck out 34 times in his first 114 at-bats.

"I would like to see him more consistently make contact," Guillen said. "He puts too much pressure on himself, he tries so hard. He's a hard worker, great kid, but I wish I could see something better out of him the next couple of weeks." - Cubune

See this would be harsh but at least would sound like a challenge or motivation if he hadn't just called borchard one of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

kitekrazy
09-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Sometimes it makes me laugh to think that millionaires who participate in something where they are always in the public eye have to be coddled. If they can't deal with it find something else. These are adults not kids.

Rex Hudler
09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Sometimes it makes me laugh to think that millionaires who participate in something where they are always in the public eye have to be coddled. If they can't deal with it find something else. These are adults not kids.
There is a difference between coddling someone and calling them out publicly. Guys that have been around a long time can usually take it. Guys that are struggling to make it, it usually only makes worse. How would you like it if your boss told everyone publicly that you suck in the first week/month of your job? Would that make you better? If you were already struggling to do well, would it help your confidence and improve your performance? Or would it make you dislike your boss/job and make it more difficult for you to succeed?

Trying to help someone succeed isn't coddling them. It is good business.

cwsox
09-04-2004, 10:54 PM
There is a difference between coddling someone and calling them out publicly. Guys that have been around a long time can usually take it. Guys that are struggling to make it, it usually only makes worse. How would you like it if your boss told everyone publicly that you suck in the first week/month of your job? Would that make you better? If you were already struggling to do well, would it help your confidence and improve your performance? Or would it make you dislike your boss/job and make it more difficult for you to succeed?

Trying to help someone succeed isn't coddling them. It is good business.

as always, wise words, thank you

beck72
09-05-2004, 07:22 AM
I have no problem with Ozzie and his comments. He's telling the players what he, the players and most fans know--perform up to your capabilities or you could find yourself on a new team in '05. The Sox have talent but didn't use it to win games.

He's challenging them. He's done the "good cop" routine most of the year, been positive. That hasn't worked. So being the "bad cop" might.

One thing overlooked in all this is the very positive praise Ozzie's given to certain players who have performed--Rowand, Buerhle. He's holding them up as examples for their work ethic, attitudes, and team play.

daveeym
09-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I have no problem with Ozzie and his comments. He's telling the players what he, the players and most fans know--perform up to your capabilities or you could find yourself on a new team in '05. The Sox have talent but didn't use it to win games.

He's challenging them. He's done the "good cop" routine most of the year, been positive. That hasn't worked. So being the "bad cop" might.

One thing overlooked in all this is the very positive praise Ozzie's given to certain players who have performed--Rowand, Buerhle. He's holding them up as examples for their work ethic, attitudes, and team play. And that's fine. Even saying publicly there are some guys that better watch it or they're out of a job is fine. Even saying by name something like, "borchard is going to have to cut down on his strike outs or he'll be gone" is fine. Basically saying borchard sucks, has a football mentality which sucks etc etc is not the same as playing bad cop, that's playing *******. He even couled have said "RIGHT now borchard just sucks, he's not making contact or seeing the ball well." No ozzie basically said he flat out sucks and never will be good and has the wrong mentality for bball.

beck72
09-05-2004, 03:39 PM
And that's fine. Even saying publicly there are some guys that better watch it or they're out of a job is fine. Even saying by name something like, "borchard is going to have to cut down on his strike outs or he'll be gone" is fine. Basically saying borchard sucks, has a football mentality which sucks etc etc is not the same as playing bad cop, that's playing *******. He even couled have said "RIGHT now borchard just sucks, he's not making contact or seeing the ball well." No ozzie basically said he flat out sucks and never will be good and has the wrong mentality for bball.
We [fans] read too much into this. Whether the comment is taken out of context, said after a talk w/ players, who knows. But Borchard and everyone else, need to perform on the field. Screw "tools", "potential". Play baseball the way the manager and GM wants you to or be gone. It's up to Ozzie, his staff and KW to get the right mix of players on the field. IMO, Joe B. fits in with the sox of the past [all power, little contact], and will be hard pressed to make the 2005 sox.

SoxEd
09-05-2004, 05:37 PM
IMO Ozzie should not be ragging on players in this way via the press - it can do no good whatsoever - it makes him (and the organisation as a whole) look cheap, and can only damage his relationship with the player(s) in question, as well as the said players(') morale.

If he wants to have a go at a guy, it should be done behind closed doors only: one-on-one initially, and maybe in front of the whole clubhouse if, after the one-on-one, there was no improvement.

Having said that, why are we still fielding a guy with a .154 average?
Has OG given up on the (admittedly remote) chance of getting in to Fall-ball proper and decided to give some 'future prospects' the chance to learn on the job?
If that's the case, why publicly humiliate the guy?

Do you think it's
a) a misundersdtanding arising from us inferrring sleights from OG's comments which he did not mean to imply?

b) classless management from No. 13?

or c) am I just displaying my foreigner's ignorance of the subtler points of motivational tactics when it comes to Baseball players?