PDA

View Full Version : FOXSports.com: White Sox Most Cursed Team

Unregistered
09-01-2004, 07:31 PM
The Curse of Happy Felsch?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2867920

Not like we need one of those fun little publicity "curses." We can leave those to the Cubs and Red Sox fans.

Nard
09-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Just what the doctor ordered: the national media feeling sorry for us.

I can't stomach any of that **** article. Luckily it's pretty much guaranteed to never catch on.

KW/Ozzie, work some magic for 2005!

balke
09-01-2004, 07:48 PM
It won't catch on because we're not loveable. We're just flat out cursed. And it seems more real than a billy goat or the bambino. We were given a world series, and we threw it back...

I love my sox, but am afraid I'll never live to see a White Sox WS. If they make it in, some twist of fate will happen to prevent a win. The apocalypse or something. :whiner:

whtsx1959
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
were not lovable because were to busy commiting crimes

PaleHoseGeorge
09-01-2004, 07:53 PM
I am soooooo glad Sox Fans have never embraced the "curse" mindset like those morons from Boston and the North Side. It's a measure of just how invisible our franchise is that some know-nothing hack would invent a curse for the Sox, just so he can write a column about it comparing us to Boston and the Flubs. Idiots, one and all...

It's not a curse that ownership refuses to fill roster holes or hire front office talent with the experience to do their jobs.

Curses are for losers. The Sox are losers, but the fans aren't.

Of course Sox Fans might be psychotic, but that's another story...

:tongue:

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Curses=Cubs

No Curses=Sox

Were NOT cursed.

They ARE.

Period.

row18
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey I don't believe the SOX are cursed, but I do belieeve in them, just as you can pray to a "good" source, you can pray to an evil "source" just n=my opinion

MisterB
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM

The voices in my head say they are offended by that remark....:mg:

Jjav829
09-01-2004, 08:17 PM
So now we have to blow up one of Happy Felsch's relatives or something, right? :smile:

Flight #24
09-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Three years later, the Disco Demolition Night promotion ended in a massive fan riot on the field and, even worse, the senseless destruction of countless Kool and the Gang LPs.
We've been "cursed" by a Kool & the Gang fan? That is looooooooowwwwwwww.....

MikeW
09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't believe in curses,but you have to admit the Sox have been snakebit for a long,long time. Some examples; Monty Statton goes hunting and shoots himself by accident ,thus losing his leg and never pitching again, infielder Jackie Hayes contacts some weird eye problem and goes blind, pitcher Paul Edmondson is killed when his car hits a pole on the way to spring training in 1970, Bill Melton falls off a ladder during the winter of 1971 and injures his back, Dick Allen breaks his leg in a freak collision with Mike Epstein in 1973, Wilbur Wood's kneecap is shattered by a line drive off the bat on Ron LeFlore in 1976, Ken Henderson tears up his knee during the 1973 season in a weird slide at home, several mysterious arms ailments through the years such as Billy Pierce,Ray Herbert,Frank Baumann, Dick Donovan;s appendictis during the 1957 pennant race, Frank Thomas on a few occasions and of course Magglio Ordonez. I'm sure there are more. Curses? No. Extreme bad luck, Yes.

South Side
09-01-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't believe in curses,but you have to admit the Sox have been snakebit for a long,long time. Some examples; Monty Statton goes hunting and shoots himself by accident ,thus losing his leg and never pitching again, infielder Jackie Hayes contacts some weird eye problem and goes blind, pitcher Paul Edmondson is killed when his car hits a pole on the way to spring training in 1970, Bill Melton falls off a ladder during the winter of 1971 and injures his back, Dick Allen breaks his leg in a freak collision with Mike Epstein in 1973, Wilbur Wood's kneecap is shattered by a line drive off the bat on Ron LeFlore in 1976, Ken Henderson tears up his knee during the 1973 season in a weird slide at home, several mysterious arms ailments through the years such as Billy Pierce,Ray Herbert,Frank Baumann, Dick Donovan;s appendictis during the 1957 pennant race, Frank Thomas on a few occasions and of course Magglio Ordonez. I'm sure there are more. Curses? No. Extreme bad luck, Yes.

Cursed? Hell no. Unluckiest team? Absolutely!

HomeFish
09-01-2004, 10:29 PM
We have loads of curses. Here are just the top few:

:crede

:LTP

:reinsy

THE_HOOTER
09-01-2004, 10:44 PM
I am soooooo glad Sox Fans have never embraced the "curse" mindset like those morons from Boston and the North Side. It's a measure of just how invisible our franchise is that some know-nothing hack would invent a curse for the Sox, just so he can write a column about it comparing us to Boston and the Flubs. Idiots, one and all...

It's not a curse that ownership refuses to fill roster holes or hire front office talent with the experience to do their jobs.

Curses are for losers. The Sox are losers, but the fans aren't.

I really agree with this post.

Believing in curses is like believing John Kerry's "more sensitive approach to war" crap.

The Sox have been big time losers in my lifetime, but the fans arent.

TornLabrum
09-01-2004, 11:47 PM
It's not a curse. It's H. Vickery's law. See last week's and next week's "Fallen Arches" column. It's a natural law, just like gravity.

pinwheels3530
09-02-2004, 01:13 AM
were not lovable because were to busy commiting crimes

:roflmao: yep, we play in the worst neighborhood, it's like a war zone on 35th street, that Mariotti doesn't lie his words are gospel!!!:tongue:

dugwood31
09-02-2004, 01:46 AM
I really agree with this post.

Believing in curses is like believing John Kerry's "more sensitive approach to war" crap.Huh? I'd say it's more like believing there were Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq:)

kojak
09-02-2004, 03:35 AM
I thought that was a neat little fluff piece and I enjoyed reading it.

And I have long thought there is a curse, and I also believe Ozzie will be the
antedote...

Orta 4-6-3
09-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't believe in curses,but you have to admit the Sox have been snakebit for a long,long time. Some examples; Monty Statton goes hunting and shoots himself by accident ,thus losing his leg and never pitching again, infielder Jackie Hayes contacts some weird eye problem and goes blind, pitcher Paul Edmondson is killed when his car hits a pole on the way to spring training in 1970, Bill Melton falls off a ladder during the winter of 1971 and injures his back, Dick Allen breaks his leg in a freak collision with Mike Epstein in 1973, Wilbur Wood's kneecap is shattered by a line drive off the bat on Ron LeFlore in 1976, Ken Henderson tears up his knee during the 1973 season in a weird slide at home, several mysterious arms ailments through the years such as Billy Pierce,Ray Herbert,Frank Baumann, Dick Donovan;s appendictis during the 1957 pennant race, Frank Thomas on a few occasions and of course Magglio Ordonez. I'm sure there are more. Curses? No. Extreme bad luck, Yes.Don't forget Pete Ward never being the same after hurting his back in an auto accident coming back from a Blackhawks game.

What the article and the subsequent posts show is that we White Sox fans have put up with more crap than any fanbase in baseball. The difference between us and Cub and Red Sox fans is that we don't attibute our misery to any curse, and we don't celebrate and mythologize our suffering. We simply endure.

SoxFan76
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Don't forget Pete Ward never being the same after hurting his back in an auto accident coming back from a Blackhawks game.

What the article and the subsequent posts show is that we White Sox fans have put up with more crap than any fanbase in baseball. The difference between us and Cub and Red Sox fans is that we don't attibute our misery to any curse, and we don't celebrate and mythologize our suffering. We simply endure.
I'm proud to be a Sox fan. These last few weeks have really cemented that. We haven't been blaming the downfall of the team on any curses, but on the players and management. People on WSI are PISSED OFF, and we all should be. I bet a Yankees fan, for example, would look at us and say "Well they never win, why are they so upset? They should be used to this." That's the funny thing about Sox fans. Even though the Sox haven't been to a WS since '59, we expect a winning product on the field. That definitely was not the case for the Cubs the last however many years. Instead, they embraced losing.

ja1022
09-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I think Ozzie missed most of '92. I can't remember but I think he blew out his knee. In 1997, didn't Ventura have a Joe Theisman-esque fracture on a play at the plate? I think it was during spring training.

Jerome
09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
If old Comiskey wasn't a monstrosity, I don't know what is. (Besides Wrigley). I'm getting pretty sick of dumbasses in the media who have concluded that out park sucks.

PatK
09-02-2004, 04:42 PM
That writer is an idiot.

Sure, the Sox traded Sammy, but at the time, the deal made sense. Besides, Sammy back then was a player that struck out and missed the cutoff man too often.

And it's obvious the guy has either never been in the Cell, or hasn't been there recently.

ja1022
09-02-2004, 05:05 PM
That writer is an idiot.

Sure, the Sox traded Sammy, but at the time, the deal made sense. Besides, Sammy back then was a player that struck out and missed the cutoff man too often.

And it's obvious the guy has either never been in the Cell, or hasn't been there recently.
What "back then"??? He still strikes out too often and misses the cutoff man.
But he is a Gladiator who will stare down his "enimics".

TommyJohn
09-02-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm proud to be a Sox fan. These last few weeks have really cemented that. We haven't been blaming the downfall of the team on any curses, but on the players and management.
Excellent point. Since Frank and Magglio went down, I have wondered- can you
imagine what would happen if Sosa and Alou went down at the same time? Lord
God! It would have been endless, non-stop drivel in the local and national media
about the latest incarnation of the curse.

balke
09-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Excellent point. Since Frank and Magglio went down, I have wondered- can you
imagine what would happen if Sosa and Alou went down at the same time? Lord
God! It would have been endless, non-stop drivel in the local and national media
about the latest incarnation of the curse.
Just wait til they don't get in to the playoffs, you'll see plenty of segments on Wood and Prior's early injuries. You could hear a nasal high pitched Tim Kurkjian:

"Just one year since that infamous day at Wrigley. Bartman. A team that seems cursed more so than any in the league the Chicago Cubs. Here's the latest breakdown on the cubs tragic season of loss and injury."

No Tim... it's just September again.

MikeW
09-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I think Ozzie missed most of '92. I can't remember but I think he blew out his knee. In 1997, didn't Ventura have a Joe Theisman-esque fracture on a play at the plate? I think it was during spring training.
You are right. I failed to mention Ozzie and Robin's injuries. One other one I had forgotten about was Carlos May, who blew part of his thumb off during Marine boot camp in 1969. As I recall, Ozzie was going back on a ball against the Yankees and collided with the left fielder. Robin's injury happened near the end of spring training. It was an awful one as I believe his ankle was shattered in that collision.

Frankfan4life
09-03-2004, 01:57 AM
So Ben Dougan wants us to believe we are being "cursed" by Happy Felsch. I guess he wants Sox fans to start appealing to the ghost of Happy Felsch. For what, forgiveness? We didn't do anything to him. What are we supposed to do, retire his number, reinstate him to the active roster, have a Happy Felsch bobblehead day, or bring one of his ancesters to The Cell and have some kind of ritual exorcism in his name during the seventh-inning stretch so that he would be kind enough to lift the "curse?" I can't think of anything more idiotic. I don't want any part of Happy Felsch and this so-called "curse." Nothing can be gained from embracing this nonsense.

pinwheels3530
09-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Were not cursed we just have a bad owner........:selljerry ........"Hey, I made money this year"