PDA

View Full Version : I Say Shut Down Contreras, Buehrle, and Garcia for the rest of the season...

Tekijawa
09-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Bring up Anything and everyting we have in the minors and let's start battling for the 4th and 5th spot for next year. Why risk the the "sure things" we have next year on this year? Let's See Gio walk 3 consecutive batters at least I might come out to see what this kid has! Rowand is Good let's see If sweeney is better? Fields can't be any worse than Crede at the plate?

Let's let the Kids finish out the season for the sake of seeing what we have... We all know we have World beaters at the minor league level who couldn't carry Koch's Jock here at the Major league level!

balke
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
no

cwsox
09-01-2004, 01:25 PM
no no no no no no no no no

no

misty60481
09-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Some of the players have incentives in there contract its not fair to them---such as $$$$ for games played, innings pitched,--- etc....

kittle42
09-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Bring up Anything and everyting we have in the minors and let's start battling for the 4th and 5th spot for next year. Why risk the the "sure things" we have next year on this year? Let's See Gio walk 3 consecutive batters at least I might come out to see what this kid has! Rowand is Good let's see If sweeney is better? Fields can't be any worse than Crede at the plate?

Let's let the Kids finish out the season for the sake of seeing what we have... We all know we have World beaters at the minor league level who couldn't carry Koch's Jock here at the Major league level!
JR wouldn't do this because then he couldn't justify just playing all those guys all next season because we'd already know they sucked.

2005: The Kids Can Play Again

rwcescato
09-01-2004, 02:26 PM

The problem is we have noone to replace these guys. We have no prospects and the ones we have suck. The only way we can contend the next few years is spend money on free agents. JR is going to have to up the payroll to around 90 mil if we are to be serious contenders.
Its sad but true.
Rich

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
:reinsy
"In consultation with the board, I'm pleased to announce our special Expanded Sox Fantasy Experience! You pays your way and picks your position! Ever wanted to be Carlton Fisk? Twenty grand not only gives you a start behind the plate, but you get to call your own pitches! Think you can play SS better than Valentin? Twenty grand lets you prove it! The possibilities are endless! Actually, the possibilities are limited to the expanded roster, but don't pass up this unique and limited opportunity to play on the same field that Harold Baines looks out upon every night! (Participants must sign waiver clearing the Chicago White Sox Baseball Club from all liabilities due to injury sustained within the stadium perimeter. Participants agree to purchase their own uniforms and equipment and refrain from fraternizing or making eye contact with any contract players who may still be encountered before, during or after game times.)"

DVsoxfan
09-01-2004, 02:37 PM
There's no reason to sit these players. Just because were out of contention doesn't mean we stop playing. Those guys should go out and compete everyday. I'm ok with giving a few guys a chance to prove themselves, in fact I'm excited about seeing Wilson Valdez. I just don't support bringing up our whole minor league system to replace the players we have. It's just not fair to the people who have been giving their best the whole year.

Tekijawa
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
It's just not fair to the people who have been giving their best the whole year.
And who, outside of maybe Rowand, would that be?

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 02:49 PM
And who, outside of maybe Rowand, would that be?:crede
*opens his mouth to say something, then just slinks away quietly*

DVsoxfan
09-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Buerhle, Contreras, Big Ben, Burke, Garcia, Timo, Uribe, Lee (outside of his home run trot/stare down), Takatsu, Marte, Cotts, after that the list gets a wee bit thin. I'm not basing this on performance, but rather the people who play hard day in and day out. The people who play the way Ozzie asks them to are included on this list. Maybe there are more, or less, and maybe I'm wrong. I'm not in the clubhouse day in and day out, so none of us can know for sure.

Jerko
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
The Sox WILL have a bearing on the playoff race. So, for the "INTEGRITY" of baseball, they should try to win as many games as possible. Say the Sox actually beat Oakland the next 2 days (right!) . Would it be fair that they took 2-3 from Oakland but because it's September now they will field the Kannapolis lineup next time they play Anaheim or Texas? Didn't we hate the Reds and Pirates for doing that at the end of last year, GIVING that division to the assclowns by one mere game? I say play your best guys no matter what; at least if you lose it looks like you tried. Baseball teams have long memories and I don't think it's a good idea to "tank" games. This was brought up in some paper I read today regarding the Cards/flubs. The Cards can actually HURT the Cubs' chances by losing to SD; I didn't see Pujols, Rolen, or Edmonds on the bench (not to imply the Sox have a Pujols, Rolen, or Edmonds!) I just think it's crap to not start your best lineup. I still have SOX tickets left; I don't want to see the Knights, Warthogs, or Intimidators.

balke
09-01-2004, 03:49 PM

I think that Paul Konerko guy is having a career year or something... and who's that pitcher winning all those games, driving a spike into the heart of the Yanks? Oh yeah, Contreras.

I was rethinking your idea. Maybe Grili Diaz Cotts Munoz Garland isn't such a bad rotation. We haven't given these guys a shot to win. Sweeney will surely establish himself as the answer to our maggs woes.

cwsox
09-01-2004, 05:07 PM
stopping playing the regulars a month early throws off their cycle - use it or lose it is not inapplicable here - I wouldn't want to risk players running out of gas in future years because they played 30 or so less games and lost the the last month of the season.

The integrity of the game is a key issue too.

JB98
09-01-2004, 05:15 PM
What a horrible idea. I've spoken out against this before. Maybe you shut down Garcia if he's hurt. I can see that. But you let Buerhle and Contreras pitch. These guys have done their job for this team, and they deserve to compete, even if it's just to try to obtain personal goals. Don't you think both would like to get to 15 wins?

Again, I pay major-league prices to go to the ballpark, and I want to see major-league pitchers. I've been in attendance for two of Jose's wins. I felt like I got my money's worth. And Buehrle is one of my favorites on the team. I enjoy watching him pitch.

Sitting those guys is unfair to them, the rest of the team, the fans and Major League Baseball itself. We are playing AL West contenders right now. For the integrity of the game, we should do everything we can to win.

santo=dorf
09-01-2004, 05:21 PM
:threadsucks

Why bother in 2005 either? Let's wait until they're all pitching in their contract year in 2006.

nitetrain8601
09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
What a horrible idea. I've spoken out against this before. Maybe you shut down Garcia if he's hurt. I can see that. But you let Buerhle and Contreras pitch. These guys have done their job for this team, and they deserve to compete, even if it's just to try to obtain personal goals. Don't you think both would like to get to 15 wins?

Again, I pay major-league prices to go to the ballpark, and I want to see major-league pitchers. I've been in attendance for two of Jose's wins. I felt like I got my money's worth. And Buehrle is one of my favorites on the team. I enjoy watching him pitch.

Sitting those guys is unfair to them, the rest of the team, the fans and Major League Baseball itself. We are playing AL West contenders right now. For the integrity of the game, we should do everything we can to win.
Sounds like you're just concerned with seeing Mark Buehrle pitch. I for one agree with this thread and think we should evaluate our pitching. Why not? We know what Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras(I wouldn't mind him going out there more though) can do. We have no idea if Felix Diaz is a ML pitcher yet because he needs more games played. I would leave Cotts in the bullpen simply because it's too late to extend his arm. Munoz, Diaz, and others should be pitching. Bring up Courtney Duncan and see what he does for us.

lowesox
09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Some of the players have incentives in there contract its not fair to them---such as $$$$ for games played, innings pitched,--- etc....
No player on this team except maybe Aaron Rowand deserves a penny in incentives.

balke
09-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Bring up Courtney Duncan and see what he does for us.
I'm sure you'll see him, we have time to give everyone ONE start. We don't have time to give 5 starts to scrubs here on out. This is professional baseball. People pay money to see these games. You wanna see These guys play, take a road trip to Charlotte. You'll be disappointed.

JB98
09-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Sounds like you're just concerned with seeing Mark Buehrle pitch. I for one agree with this thread and think we should evaluate our pitching. Why not? We know what Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras(I wouldn't mind him going out there more though) can do. We have no idea if Felix Diaz is a ML pitcher yet because he needs more games played. I would leave Cotts in the bullpen simply because it's too late to extend his arm. Munoz, Diaz, and others should be pitching. Bring up Courtney Duncan and see what he does for us.

And you're totally wrong. You want an evaluation of our pitching? I'll give you one: Diaz, Munoz, Stewart and Grilli all either suck or aren't yet ready to pitch in the majors. None of them should be in our plans for 2005. Why spend the rest of 2004 watching them get shelled? In the case of Diaz and Munoz, all we will accomplish is shattering their confidence. Buerhle should make the rest of his scheduled starts. Period. You don't screw over a team leader who has battled his ass off for you all year.

This thread is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Jerome
09-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Maybe Sweeney, but wasn't Fields just drafted this year? That might screw up his development.

santo=dorf
09-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Maybe Sweeney, but wasn't Fields just drafted this year? That might screw up his development.
For the last time; there are two Josh Fields. The one we just drafted is a 3B, the other is a pitcher. We also have Carlos Lee's younger brother Carlos (yes) in our organization.

kitekrazy
09-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Why end the season respectable and continue to be the poster child for mediocrity? We haven't had a top 10 pick in 20 years.

JB98
09-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Why end the season respectable and continue to be the poster child for mediocrity? We haven't had a top 10 pick in 20 years.

The Brewers pick in the top 10 every year. Where has that gotten them? The draft is a crapshoot. You don't tank games in order to improve draft position. It's ridiculous.

santo=dorf
09-01-2004, 10:44 PM
:troll

http://www.blackathlete.net/Images/Herm_edwards.jpg

"You play to win the game. HELLO!!!"

cwsox
09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I don't know whether to ask you:

1. haven't we thrown enough games in our history?

or

2. have you no pride?

soxtalker
09-01-2004, 11:18 PM

I agree with the general idea. Oh, I don't expect them to field a complete minor league team, but getting the kids as much time as possible makes a lot of sense to me.

As far as the objection that people pay to see the veterans, I guess that it depends on the individual fan. I expect to be at 2 or 3 more games, and I'd prefer to see one of the kids pitching instead of Buerhle, etc. Sure, it might be a blow-out in the wrong direction, but I also might get a chance to see one of the kids step up his performance. Today's performance by Grilli, while far from ideal, sounds like it was fairly positive.

I'm not sure that they can bring up that many players, however. If they bring someone up, doesn't he go on the 40-man roster? And that might not be something that they want to do for the younger guys.

Chisoxfn
09-01-2004, 11:49 PM
No, you owe it to the playoff races to try and play good baseball, especially when you play other teams in the pennant race, imo.

However, I would agree with potentially shutting down Freddy Garcia.

Tekijawa
09-02-2004, 09:11 AM
This thread is one of the worst I've ever seen.
For the three months you've been here THIS is the worst thread? what do you only check once a week?

As for OWEING it to the rest of the play off races to play our best players... I've seen teams screw us out of the post season on more than one occasion by having the "scrubs" in...

Let the kids play, there's no reason to risk injury to out "OK three" pitchers, I say evaluate for next year. That way when Kenny stands up and say, "this courtney duncan kids is going to be a start this year!" I don't get the same sick feeling I had when he said that about Harris this year...

soxtalker
09-02-2004, 10:26 AM
For the three months you've been here THIS is the worst thread? what do you only check once a week?

As for OWEING it to the rest of the play off races to play our best players... I've seen teams screw us out of the post season on more than one occasion by having the "scrubs" in...

Let the kids play, there's no reason to risk injury to out "OK three" pitchers, I say evaluate for next year. That way when Kenny stands up and say, "this courtney duncan kids is going to be a start this year!" I don't get the same sick feeling I had when he said that about Harris this year... I don't see where we owe the rest of the teams anything. Teams that are out of the race have done this sort of thing for many years. Right now, Ozzie and KW don't have to worry about losing their jobs, so winning isn't quite so necessary for them. Let's take advantage of that now.