PDA

View Full Version : Trading Players Within the Division. Is it Considered Foolhardy to do this?

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Im just curious if the Royals traded a guy to the SOX in order to help with our Pennant Run. or vice versa.

soxfan26
09-01-2004, 10:09 AM
I call it foolhardy to say we are in a pennant run...

JasonC23
09-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Im just curious if the Royals traded a guy to the SOX in order to help with our Pennant Run. or vice versa.
I wasn't aware the Royals had Babe Ruth. :cool:

Seriously, though, yeah, I think it is pretty silly. The Pirates basically acted as the Cubs' farm system last year and took quite a beating for it (at least I think they did--they should have!). Especially with the unbalanced schedule, trading within a division is not really all that bright.

kittle42
09-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Is this hypothetical or do you actually think we are in a pennant run?

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Is this hypothetical or do you actually think we are in a pennant run?
Purely hypothetical. and Yes, what the Pirates did was very stupid for them for the Present (last year) and for the Future (look at how Aramis Ramirez is hurting their chances now) I understand the Brewers are also helping out
the Evil COrporations pennant chances giving Grieve away.........

But that being said, would that happen in OUR division? somehow I think not.
I think the AL Central is way more competitive than the Cubune wants you to think. Of course, Why would the Cubune want to slam our opponents and team?

Blueprint1
09-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I wasn't aware the Royals had Babe Ruth. :cool:

Seriously, though, yeah, I think it is pretty silly. The Pirates basically acted as the Cubs' farm system last year and took quite a beating for it (at least I think they did--they should have!). Especially with the unbalanced schedule, trading within a division is not really all that bright.
I heard they tried to do it again wanting to trade Jose Mesa to the cubs but the Giants claimed him.

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I heard they tried to do it again wanting to trade Jose Mesa to the cubs but the Giants claimed him.
YUP. thats unbelievable. And this is supposed to be "good for baseball"?
A team just giving away its players?

santo=dorf
09-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I never really bought this whole idea of not trading within your division. If you are out of it anyways why does it matter where any of your players end up? Shouldn't you take the best deal offered? Plus, wouldn't it be sweet revenge if the prospects or young players that the divisional team traded to you came back to haunt their former team for years to come? I'm also not going to buy this "we're going to root for Team X because they play in the same division as us" stuff. If you wouldn't want to help out that team by trading them players, why would you root for them in the postseason? :dunno:

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Trading within a division happens, it is not common. But just this year Arizona traded Finley to the Dodgers, it happens. The Cubs do it all the time, and though I am not ontop of White Sox trading history I am sure we have done this in the past.

But I do know that for years the Kansas City Athletics and Royals were pretty much the farm system of the Yankees and they both were in the same divison (before 1970)

PatK
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Apparently, the whole "Cubs were after Mesa" rumors were just that- rumors.

Allegedly, the Cubs never made any calls to the Pirates about aquiring him.

Brian26
09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
But I do know that for years the Kansas City Athletics and Royals were pretty much the farm system of the Yankees and they both were in the same divison (before 1970)

Everyone was in the same division before 1970 ('69 to be exact) :D:

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Everyone was in the same division before 1970 ('69 to be exact) :D:
I am an idiot, too much of this on my day off :gulp:

Brian26
09-01-2004, 01:13 PM
I am an idiot, too much of this on my day off :gulp:

In Veeck As In Wreck, Bill talks about how the Yankees used to completely fleece the KC A's of players...they basically called them up and told the A's they wanted Roger Maris, and they stole him for peanuts. Politics reigned supreme even back then, maybe moreseo than today.

Tekijawa
09-01-2004, 02:14 PM
In Veeck As In Wreck, Bill talks about how the Yankees used to completely fleece the KC A's of players...they basically called them up and told the A's they wanted Roger Maris, and they stole him for peanuts. Politics reigned supreme even back then, maybe moreseo than today.Wait the Yankees Use other teams as their minor league system? Next you'll tell me that Wrigley Field is Falling over?

P.S. I'd like to add that I hope Johan Santana becomes SO expensive this seasons that the Twinkees are forced ot trade him to us

Blueprint1
09-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Apparently, the whole "Cubs were after Mesa" rumors were just that- rumors.

Allegedly, the Cubs never made any calls to the Pirates about aquiring him.
Hmm well on espn they said it was true the other night

LincolnSquareOz
09-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Even if it were to happen, the Royals would seem like the only willing trade partner. The Tigers are are clearly gunning for 2nd or 3rd place.

I doubt we could even scrounge up a 5th starter or RF in this divison.

It's time to let the kids play. September could be the launching pad for many of our youngsters to break through in '05. Well, at least we can hope for this.

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Wait the Yankees Use other teams as their minor league system? Next you'll tell me that Wrigley Field is Falling over?

P.S. I'd like to add that I hope Johan Santana becomes SO expensive this seasons that the Twinkees are forced ot trade him to us
maybe we can Get Santana and trade Sandy Alomar !!!!!!!

Tekijawa
09-01-2004, 03:58 PM
maybe we can Get Santana and trade Sandy Alomar !!!!!!!
They do need a catcher with Mauer down... I like you thinking! Too bad we cut Mike Jackson loose, that would have only sweetened the Pot for them!