PDA

View Full Version : Since it's September 1st

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I know it has been talked about whom to call up this day; I don't really care about that. What I am concerned about is that we are 8 1/2 back and not too many teams have come back from that to win a division, let alone pasting two teams along the way.

So putting call-ups aside, and now looking back on it, why in the world did Neal Cotts only start one game (a start by committee which blew up in Cooper's face)?

I just think that this kid is going to be good. In August his ERA was 2.30, and since July 25th it has been even lower. Some bad games have gotten in the way, and that is going to happen to a rookie (last year does not count).

But to me, to have a left handed guy who can go 6 or 7 innings deep and throws over 90 mph is like a god-send. He needs to work on some things, but look at other rookies with control problems they have been starting all year...Rich Harden being one (70+ walks) and Victor Zambrano (100+ walks) being the other. They both have winning records and sweet ERA's, though Zambrano is now hurt with the Mets.

The point to all of this - let Cotts start instead of Diaz and instead of Grilli for the last month. The season is over, start extending his arm now, don't wait till the off-season to do it. Let him go 3 or 4 innings at first, then extend it each time…and throw his heat and walk some guys, it is a learning experience month so let him do it. It will surprise some people.

What do we have to loose, Buehrle did it...and look at him! (Two years ago that is)

fledgedrallycap
09-01-2004, 11:04 AM
I won't argue your point, I say let's see what we have and give everyone a shot at this thing.

balke
09-01-2004, 02:06 PM
I know it has been talked about whom to call up this day; I don't really care about that. What I am concerned about is that we are 8 1/2 back and not too many teams have come back from that to win a division, let alone pasting two teams along the way.

So putting call-ups aside, and now looking back on it, why in the world did Neal Cotts only start one game (a start by committee which blew up in Cooper's face)?

I just think that this kid is going to be good. In August his ERA was 2.30, and since July 25th it has been even lower. Some bad games have gotten in the way, and that is going to happen to a rookie (last year does not count).

But to me, to have a left handed guy who can go 6 or 7 innings deep and throws over 90 mph is like a god-send. He needs to work on some things, but look at other rookies with control problems they have been starting all year...Rich Harden being one (70+ walks) and Victor Zambrano (100+ walks) being the other. They both have winning records and sweet ERA's, though Zambrano is now hurt with the Mets.

The point to all of this - let Cotts start instead of Diaz and instead of Grilli for the last month. The season is over, start extending his arm now, don't wait till the off-season to do it. Let him go 3 or 4 innings at first, then extend it each time…and throw his heat and walk some guys, it is a learning experience month so let him do it. It will surprise some people.

What do we have to loose, Buehrle did it...and look at him! (Two years ago that is)
Yeah, I think now he's ready. But I fully agree with waiting on him this year. I think the Bullpen did him some good this season, in terms of developing his arm and confidence. Sure he's been good since july 25th, but the months before that.... yikes.

I would like him to get the next start, but I'm not going to be very optimistic about it. I think he needs to be eased in to that roll this year and next. IF he does good in a few startts this month, I don't think it would be smart to say "You're our new 5th starter" for next season. HE's still aways away.

cwsox
09-01-2004, 02:23 PM
way too soon to call anyone our fifth starter in 2005 let alone 2004

but giving Cotts a few starts is a good idea, we are out of it, let's see what he can do