PDA

View Full Version : Best way for Sox to look good media and PR wise...

WhiteSoxFan84
09-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Replace Ed Farmer and Hawk. Farmer has got to go, he offers nothing at all on the radio side. He is HORRIBLE and is just a socially retarded person. Hawk, he's old and just too stubborn and arrogant. John Runy does a great job PBP on radio and DJ tries his best to make things interesting on the TV front. I think if the Sox throw DJ along with Runy on the radio broadcasts and bring some fresh blood in to do the TV, we'd be great. I think the new PBP guy on TV should be some familiar face from Chicago who knows what they're doing and the new color guy should be Bo Jackson.

What you guys think? All I know is that Farmer and Hawk make this team look REAL BAD. Too much negativity and sorrow.

indysoxfan
09-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Replace Ed Farmer and Hawk. Farmer has got to go, he offers nothing at all on the radio side. He is HORRIBLE and is just a socially retarded person. Hawk, he's old and just too stubborn and arrogant. John Runy does a great job PBP on radio and DJ tries his best to make things interesting on the TV front. I think if the Sox throw DJ along with Runy on the radio broadcasts and bring some fresh blood in to do the TV, we'd be great. I think the new PBP guy on TV should be some familiar face from Chicago who knows what they're doing and the new color guy should be Bo Jackson.

What you guys think? All I know is that Farmer and Hawk make this team look REAL BAD. Too much negativity and sorrow. I disagree completely

Kogs35
09-01-2004, 01:52 AM

What you guys think? All I know is that Farmer and Hawk make this team look REAL BAD. Too much negativity and sorrow.

when does the national media pick on ed farmer? when does the local media pick on ed farmer? let me tell u something there rnt that many good pbp people out there. and its John Rooney not Runy. IIRC DJ beat out pappy for the sox color commentator.

I Can care less about what the Chicago Media and WSCR thinks about hawk. there is a reason why WSCR Rating stink that they have to guy and switch up the lineup, becuase those guys stink. Mariotti who cares about him. He was on Mike and Mike one morning to talk about the bulls about the kobe thing when he brought up the sox and started bashing them. so i wrote a huge email to mike and mike and havn't had him on since. No1 cares about the stupid Chicago media anymore. please stop with these stupid threads get rid of hawk,dj garbage.:angry: :angry:

OurBitchinMinny
09-01-2004, 01:57 AM
The only one I like anymore is rooney. hawk has lost it. he just seems like a bitter old man to me. he thinks he knows exactly how the game was meant to be played. DJ is an excub who brings nothing. Farmer can stay or go

BainesHOF
09-01-2004, 03:27 AM
I think the new PBP guy on TV should be some familiar face from Chicago who knows what they're doing and the new color guy should be Bo Jackson.
Try again. Bo is a st-st-stutterer.

Parrothead
09-01-2004, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=WhiteSoxFan84] I think the new PBP guy on TV should be some familiar face from Chicago who knows what they're doing and the new color guy should be Bo Jackson.QUOTE]

No matter what we think about the announcers it is not going ot happen yet. But Bo Jackson ? Have you ever heard him? I am tired of former players with nothing to say. Plus, as the previous guy said, he is a stutterer. If any one should be an annoucer it is Ron Kittle. He is very entertaining and has something to say.:wink:

nccwsfan
09-01-2004, 07:29 AM

:threadblows:

Couldn't be more incorrect if you tried- Ed Farmer is fantastic on the radio and is very descriptive about the game. Replacing Hawk with Bo Jackson? That's just absurd.

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Our Broadcast Team is good

gosox41
09-01-2004, 08:27 AM

I missed the broadcast last night. Did Hawk rip Beane again all game. He seems to be taking cheap shots at those 'number crunchers' a lot lately.

We should just fire Hawk as a broadcaster and make him the GM again since he knows so much.

And yes I am proud to use teal and pink in the same sentence.

Bob

duke of dorwood
09-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Broadcasting is the least thing to worry about. Its fine and they do well with a mediocre product.

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 08:36 AM
IF anything .......... Move Ed Farmer and cause a major stir and get
Bob Uecker to join Rooney in the Booth. Bob Uecker would be PERFECT
for the Chicago White Sox. He has a working mans spirit, with just enough
of a chip on his shoulder (thats his schtick) and a sense of humor to deal
with the SOX and their Fans. More importantly, we need to get Uecker
BEFORE the cubs do ...............

Tekijawa
09-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Hawk and Aaron Rowand are one of the few reasons I'm able to sit through the first half of the game. Hawk is about as angry at all the little stuff that this team doesn't do and all the retarded baseball that they play as I am.

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Replace Ed Farmer and Hawk.

What you guys think? All I know is that Farmer and Hawk make this team look REAL BAD. Too much negativity and sorrow.Hawk could sit there all night and read threads from WSI and sound exactly the same. Hawk broadcasts how we all feel. You want some tool like Chip Caray to sit there for 9 innings and blow smoke about how wonderful the world is? No thanks.

White Sox Baseball: Negativity and Sorrow since 1919.

thepaulbowski
09-01-2004, 09:11 AM
IF anything .......... Move Ed Farmer and cause a major stir and get
Bob Uecker to join Rooney in the Booth. Bob Uecker would be PERFECT
for the Chicago White Sox. He has a working mans spirit, with just enough
of a chip on his shoulder (thats his schtick) and a sense of humor to deal
with the SOX and their Fans. More importantly, we need to get Uecker
BEFORE the cubs do ...............Uecker is not leaving Milwaukee. He's been there, what 34 years or so and he's going to leave now? Please.

Cubsuck_a_lot
09-01-2004, 09:19 AM
interesting and fun to listen to commentators are few and far between these days. most guys sit there, do the play by play, give their two cents here and there, and thats it. Hawk has great stories (most fo the time) and always has something to say in any baseball circumstance. I still hate the fact that he fired La Russa when he was GM, but his commentary, his stories and his one-liners are fantastic and make the game fun to listen to, at least, since watching it has given me an ulcer.

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 09:40 AM
interesting and fun to listen to commentators are few and far between these days. most guys sit there, do the play by play, give their two cents here and there, and thats it. Hawk has great stories (most fo the time) and always has something to say in any baseball circumstance. I still hate the fact that he fired La Russa when he was GM, but his commentary, his stories and his one-liners are fantastic and make the game fun to listen to, at least, since watching it has given me an ulcer.Exactly! I was stuck with the Oakland broadcast team last night: two old white-haired men who chat about like the game like way old white-haired men chat about the weather.

"First pitch. That's a ball."
"Yep."
"Next pitch. Swung and hit. To the outfield. Caught for an out."
"Yep."
"One out."
"Yep."
"No score in the game, here in Cleveland."
"I thought this was Chicago."
"Same thing."
"Gene Tenace is really looking good behind the plate."
"I don't think that's Gene Tenace."
"I'm tired and want to take a nap."
"Okay then. I'll give you a nudge when Rollie Fingers comes in."
"Yep."

You can't imagine the excruciating pain of it all.

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 09:40 AM
To suggest Bo Jackson is li-li-lik-like a joke. He tried about a year ago or so to get into the broadcasting and Hawk and DJ let him in the booth and he blew hard. DJ takes time to research everything, he is a little lame but he knows a lot, and I think Hawk is jealous. Hawk would be god on the other side of town because of his longevity with the team and his craziness...the loved Harry when he couldn't even pronounce names like Roy and Sosa right - we are just harsher on this side and I love it, but he is an icon. You just can't get rid of him.

Rooney is totally sweet, and Farmer is equally as good. These two are so descriptive, like old school radio broadcasters they tell you everything. From the way a players wears his socks, to the way the grass is bent down the first base line.

If anything in broadcasting changes in Chicago it will be Chip Carey getting fired and "Dull" Date Otto taking his place (even though he is a color guy, he will do it). No changes on the Southside, mark my words.

MarkM2112
09-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Uecker is not leaving Milwaukee. He's been there, what 34 years or so and he's going to leave now? Please.
Not only that, but Milwaukee is his home town, and he played a few seasons for the Braves there... there is no WAY he is leaving Milwaukee...

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Not only that, but Milwaukee is his home town, and he played a few seasons for the Braves there... there is no WAY he is leaving Milwaukee...
With Uecker's luck/schtick, he joins the Sox team, then the Brewers go on to beat Atlanta in the NLCS and win the World Series over the Yankees. :cool:

doublem23
09-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Hawk - Still the voice of the Sox... Distinctive in a way no one else associated with this franchise is, and I still think pretty fun too listen too.

DJ - Getting better every year, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if he was replaced. Wouldn't be either if he remained on, too.

Rooney - Absoletuly one of the best in the bigs. Classy and smart all the way. I usually mute the game on TV when I am in Chicago to listen to 1000 for Rooney, but then I am stuck with...

Farmer - Really needs to move on.

SoxFan76
09-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Hawk - Still the voice of the Sox... Distinctive in a way no one else associated with this franchise is, and I still think pretty fun too listen too.

DJ - Getting better every year, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if he was replaced. Wouldn't be either if he remained on, too.

Rooney - Absoletuly one of the best in the bigs. Classy and smart all the way. I usually mute the game on TV when I am in Chicago to listen to 1000 for Rooney, but then I am stuck with...

Farmer - Really needs to move on.
I am just dumbfounded by these people who want new announcers. Do you understand how LUCKY we are as Sox fans? You don't even need to go to another town to appreciate how good we have it. Just listen to a CUBS game!! We are SOOOO lucky people, you need to understand that.

Farmer would be bad if he didn't have Rooney with him. But Rooney and Farmer together have that thing together that makes it work. This "thing" is something Hawk and DJ don't have. That's why it wouldn't break my heart if DJ left either.

But get rid of Hawk? The VOICE of the Chicago White Sox? That is absurd. He loves this team. He isn't a blind puppet like people make him out to be. He criticizes this team when it is deserved. He is pissed right now folks. He has to sit and watch horrible baseball day in and day out. While you and I can just not watch, Hawk has to step into that booth everyday to announce another horrible baseball game. God bless him, and I hope he stays with the White Sox for a long time. WHEN the Sox win a World Series, I just hope to GOD Hawk is in the booth. The man was almost in tears last year against Minny when Paulie hit that 11th inning home run to tie it. Just IMAGINE what he would do if the Sox win a World Series. Think about that before any talk of kicking him out of town.

Just don't make him GM again....

pudge
09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I am just dumbfounded by these people who want new announcers. Do you understand how LUCKY we are as Sox fans? You don't even need to go to another town to appreciate how good we have it. Just listen to a CUBS game!! We are SOOOO lucky people, you need to understand that.

That is exactly it. Hey, do I agree with Hawk on everything? No. Does he sometimes come off as a bitter old man? Yes. Would I rather have some cheesy, vanilla announcer? HELL NO. Wake up people!

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 12:11 PM

But get rid of Hawk? The VOICE of the Chicago White Sox? That is absurd.

Just don't make him GM again....
This post says it all. Farmer is ok, and I only said if we could get Uecker here, we'd have the best announcers in Baseball. We are Lucky, esp with Hawk Harrelson. Do we realize how many nicknames hes come up with?
El Caballo? Little Hurt? Big Hurt? BlackJack? He Gawn! Thats a Hang With em! Stretch! Can of Corn! Cinch it up and hunker down!
Hell, the cubs are even using "Can of Corn" in their advertising of The Urinal "see what I see", playing the one time appearance of the Yankees as if it were a regular thing!!!!! But using "cans of corn?" The Cubs copy and Love everything about the White Sox and our traditions (7th inning stretch for example) Can you imagine if HAWK were over there? Or god forbid, Nancy Faust?

Bottom Line is ............. Our Announcers are very very good,
and the ONLY REASON YOU DONT HEAR MORE ABOUT IT......... is because the Chicago Media is NOT interested in Reporting the News. Theyre more interested in Propogating the News/Covering up Facts/Planting Rumors/Ignoring the Sox for The Evil Blue Corporate Giant 8 miles north.

JoseCanseco6969
09-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Wow you couldnt be more wrong! Hawk is and should be an icon for Sox fans. He lives and dies with us and I love that. I love listening to Sox games even when we are out of the playoffs just to hear what he says next. Unlike Hawk, DJ acts as though he could care less about the Sox and also drives me nuts when he calls the Cubs, "cubbies." DJ offers nothing but bland comments, constantly stutters and must learn how to read stats. I dont know how many times he misreads the relief pitchers stats. Maybe the weed clouds his vision of the words.

Farmer and ROONEY (not Runy) are a great combo. I think Rooney, Hawk and Farmer should stay. If anyone needs to be replaced it should be DJ with possibly Melton. I think a Hawk/Melton combo would be nice.

HomeFish
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Fire DJ, put Farmer on as the TV color guy, and give Farmer's old job to Dave Wills.

Now that's a broadcasting team!

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
I think a Hawk/Melton combo would be nice.

:hawk
"Now you are STRETCHing it!"

HITMEN OF 77
09-01-2004, 04:12 PM
If you get rid of Hawk you take away a great aspect of Sox baseball. He's been a part of this team since the mid 80's. Foolish idea.

balke
09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
The anti-hawk threads are so annoying. its like every 2 weeks. Just make a poll, and see. Real Sox fan knows he's one of the biggest parts of our organization. We love our Hawk.

DJ on the other hand... do what you will w/ him.

rwcescato
09-01-2004, 04:29 PM

I think you are way off. I like all of our guys and I would rather spend the time and money on the team not the announcers.

Rich:supernana:

cwsox
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
I disagree completely
I disagree more than that!

WhiteSoxFan84
09-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Here's my point, take it for what it's worth;

1) Ed Farmer - I can't stand the guy. He thinks he's soooo beyond cool, when he was lame as a player and even worse as an announcer. If any of you happened to catch that show on MTV a few days ago (I think it's called Diaries?), when they had that actor on from Without a Paddle (also played Shaggy in Scooby Doo movies). He threw the first pitch at the Sox game, before he did, they were explaining to him the whole UPS delivery of the balls in a truck. Farmer walks up and makes the kid look like a dumbass and the actor said something to the stretch of, "Some old man comes up to me talking down to me like I'm some dumbass", and he mocks Farmer. Farmer is a joke, just the other day he was talking about how some commissioner back from his day told him not to hit some batter or he would get fined, than he goes on to say, "I hit him, I got fined, I didn't pay it of course". His tone is lame, his stories are lame, HE IS JUST LAME. Compare him to Ron Santo, who offers so much entertainment and believe it or not, he's turning into the Harry Carey of the Cubs radio team.

2) Hawk - I love Hawk, he is so original and entertaining, WHEN THE SOX ARE WINNING. When they are losing, WOW, he is either a mute or always seems to think the umpires are out to get us. I like when he gets hot and upset during a crucial game, but he get's way negative when things are going bad, which is understandable to some point, but don't sit there when the Sox are up 5-3 in the 9th and the first man get's a hit for the other team and say, "Uh-oh, here we go...", no matter how many blown saves you've seen, you have to stay POSITIVE.

3) John Rooney (sorry for the misspelling): he's great, enough said, I love him.

4) DJ: He always seems like he's sleeping but he is a positive guy. He does stay positive and always tries to make Hawk see the positive in everything, which never works.

I did not know that Bo Jackson has a stutter, but I always hear Hawk saying Bo was at the park and was saying hello to everyone, figured he's stuck with the team. I'll tell you what, AS SOON as Robin Ventura retires, he better be an announcer for the Sox. Ventura shouldn't take long to retire, maybe another 2 years. As soon as that happens, I hope he's up there with Hawk or with Rooney on the radio.

hellenicsoxfan
09-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Compare him to Ron Santo, who offers so much entertainment and believe it or not, he's turning into the Harry Carey of the Cubs radio team. You have got to be kidding. Santo is horrible as an announcer. All you get from him are moans and groans when something bad happens to the Flubbies and loud cheers when something good happens. He offers no insight to the game. He may be turning into Harry Caray at the end of his career when he was just a confused, incoherent cheerleader. But there is no way he compares to Harry at the top of his game (when he broadcast for the Cardinals and White Sox); Harry was one of the best at that time.

AS SOON as Robin Ventura retires, he better be an announcer for the Sox. Ventura shouldn't take long to retire, maybe another 2 years. As soon as that happens, I hope he's up there with Hawk or with Rooney on the radio.As much as I liked Robin as a player and as much as I respect him, he never struck me as the broadcast type. Seemed too quiet and reserved. But who knows, maybe he'd be great behind a microphone.

ClaudelSleptHere
09-02-2004, 05:58 AM
I enjoy Hawk, but he didn't invent the term "can of corn." As far as Ron Santo, I have never heard an announcer who adds less to a game. A little kid could do a better job. Santo is valuable only for Sox fans to make fun of.

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2004, 10:44 AM
This post says it all. Farmer is ok, and I only said if we could get Uecker here, we'd have the best announcers in Baseball. We are Lucky, esp with Hawk Harrelson. Do we realize how many nicknames hes come up with?
El Caballo? Little Hurt? Big Hurt? BlackJack? He Gawn! Thats a Hang With em! Stretch! Can of Corn! Cinch it up and hunker down!
Hell, the cubs are even using "Can of Corn" in their advertising of The Urinal "see what I see", playing the one time appearance of the Yankees as if it were a regular thing!!!!! But using "cans of corn?" The Cubs copy and Love everything about the White Sox and our traditions (7th inning stretch for example) Can you imagine if HAWK were over there? Or god forbid, Nancy Faust?

Bottom Line is ............. Our Announcers are very very good,
and the ONLY REASON YOU DONT HEAR MORE ABOUT IT......... is because the Chicago Media is NOT interested in Reporting the News. Theyre more interested in Propogating the News/Covering up Facts/Planting Rumors/Ignoring the Sox for The Evil Blue Corporate Giant 8 miles north.

Hangar is exactly right. A TV booth of Hawk and Uecker would be fantastic. On the radio side, IMHO they need to dump Farmer and FINALLY make amends with Carlton Fisk. Rooney and Fisk would be incredible because Fisk always has on opinion and he's not afraid to speak it. More importantly, his knowledge of the game is vast. :bandance: Then, for real TV tension during the 4th through 6th innings, they could have Uecker and Fisk switch places. Then we'd have a TV booth with Hawk and Fisk.

Hangar18
09-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Bob Uecker calling White Sox Games would be an INCREDIBLE PR COUP ,
enough to shake the foundations 8 miles north, and of the Lazy Chicago Media,
and a Shot in the Arm to a Franchise that somehow, Continues to make mistake, after mistake and Badly Needs one before MLB's favorite team and alleged industry saving Franchise, the Evil Blue Corporation makes it to the World Series. We Need Uecker

kittle42
09-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Bob Uecker calling White Sox Games would be an INCREDIBLE PR COUP ,
enough to shake the foundations 8 miles north, and of the Lazy Chicago Media,
and a Shot in the Arm to a Franchise that somehow, Continues to make mistake, after mistake and Badly Needs one before MLB's favorite team and alleged industry saving Franchise, the Evil Blue Corporation makes it to the World Series. We Need Uecker
Why in hell are you even entertaining this notion? It cannot and will not happen.

Hangar18
09-02-2004, 12:54 PM
.......As far as Ron Santo, I have never heard an announcer who adds less to a game. A little kid could do a better job. Santo is valuable only for Sox fans to make fun of.
Santo is Reason 10,256 why I hate that Franchise & their sheep-like "fans".
They make the rest of the city of chicago look like a bunch of dumb-asses.
Name me one other city, where a bumbling, moaning, marble-mouthed, no insight adding, speech stammering, statistic fumbling, stater of the obvious Buffoon could be revered as a "great announcer"? Only in Chicago. And Only by Cub fans. Anyone remember the last "great" announcer they had?
a guy who was a well-spoken, Call-it-like-I-see-it, come-down-on-mgmt, anti-company man who noticably dropped his "game" and Became a Fumble-mouthed, speech stammering, company man and cheerleader?
HINT: They built a statue of him outside the dang park
when they shouldve been building one of Lou Boudreau instead. Idiots

Hangar18
09-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Why in hell are you even entertaining this notion? It cannot and will not happen.
Because the SOX are about to Become an ASTERISK in their own town ......
a Charter Member of the American League ........ done in by Their own administrative mistakes (JR) and a Rich Corporations Exploitation of Sheep-Like
Idiot fans

Baby Fisk
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Because the SOX are about to Become an ASTERISK in their own town ......
a Charter Member of the American League ........ done in by Their own administrative mistakes (JR) and a Rich Corporations Exploitation of Sheep-Like
Idiot fansBob Uecker would not change any of that.

In fact, Uecker is a loveable loser who relishes being the brunt of jokes. He is a prototypical Cubs announcer.

Clembasbal
09-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Here's my point, take it for what it's worth;

1) Ed Farmer - I can't stand the guy. His tone is lame, his stories are lame, HE IS JUST LAME. Compare him to Ron Santo, who offers so much entertainment and believe it or not, he's turning into the Harry Carey of the Cubs radio team. So Santo is better?
:troll