PDA

View Full Version : sCrUBS acquire Grieve, DiFelice for death spiral

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2004, 02:15 AM
I saw on ESPN.com that the sCrUBS had acquired OF Ben Grieve from the Brewers and backup C Mike DiFelice from the Tigers, both for PTBNL's. I don't think we need another backup catcher, but if the Brewers were gonna take a PTBNL for Ben Grieve, shouldn't KW have been on the phone back when it mattered?

SMO
:gulp:

jackbrohamer
09-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Scrubs have been looking for someone to fill in that all-important washed-up-ex-rookie-of-the-year slot since Hollandsworth went down, Grieve should fill the bill nicely...

balke
09-01-2004, 02:22 AM
I saw on ESPN.com that the sCrUBS had acquired OF Ben Grieve from the Brewers and backup C Mike DiFelice from the Tigers, both for PTBNL's. I don't think we need another backup catcher, but if the Brewers were gonna take a PTBNL for Ben Grieve, shouldn't KW have been on the phone back when it mattered?

SMO
And be ultimately be responsible for the cubs making the playoffs? how many lowpoints do we need this season? But.. then again, who's equal to grieve and defelice on our team? Everett? Perez? Wouldn't have really cared.

samram
09-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Scrubs have been looking for someone to fill in that all-important washed-up-ex-rookie-of-the-year slot since Hollandsworth went down, Grieve should fill the bill nicely...
Pat Listach, Marty Cordova, and Bob Hamelin are also on the way.

kittle42
09-01-2004, 10:47 AM
I hear that both players have already ripped into Stone and Caray.

SOXSINCE'70
09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
I hear that both players have already ripped into Stone and Caray.
Then they'll be right at home with this miserable bunch.And Sox fans can sit back,relax and watch the choke job.Keep your eyes on the 'Stros and Giants these next 2 weeks.This is their "piece of cake" part of the schedule.:D: :D:

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 02:05 PM

SMO
My sentiments exactly. If Hendry can get players at the drop of a hat,
WHY cant Kenny do the same?

Brian26
09-01-2004, 02:08 PM
My sentiments exactly. If Hendry can get players at the drop of a hat,
WHY cant Kenny do the same?

For a PTBNL, no less. I'm beginning to think Hendry's got some blackmail on some GM's throughout baseball.

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
For a PTBNL, no less. I'm beginning to think Hendry's got some blackmail on some GM's throughout baseball.
This just doesnt make sense. I can see there are some very Dumb Franchises out there (brewers, pirates, reds, mets, marlins) but how is it that The Blue Corporation is able to acquire players of value, so easily? Ive never seen this so blatantly easy before. Esp with the Usual Suspects ...........

balke
09-01-2004, 02:48 PM
THey rob from the poor to give to the rich. I.E. the Pirates deal.

I think this Milwaukee business might have to do with those players to be named. Like what if they get Mitre out of the deal?

Jjav829
09-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Uhh, you guys are joking right? Both of these guys suck. Mike DiFelice is no longer a major league player. The only role he can fill on the team is the designated wife beater. He's useless. The Cubs got him because they want a 3rd catcher (as do most teams at this point of the year) and didn't think their options in the minors were very good. My initial reaction was, "The Tigers actually got a player to be named for Mike freaking DiFelice." The PTBN never has to play a game for their minor league organization and they've come out ahead. Same goes for Grieve. I can't believe we're actually hearing suggestions that we should have gone after Ben Grieve. I'd rather see Jamie Burke as our everyday right fielder. Burke would be just as good defensively (as would about 700 other current major leaguers) and he would hit a lot better. I'd rather see Joe Borchard in right field everyday. Or Timo Perez for that matter. I can't believe I've just seen the names of Mike DiFelice and Ben Grieve in the same sentence with the phrase "players of value."

O and to follow this all up, both useless players are Free Agents at the end of the year and the Cubs were so concerned with them that they didn't even bother making room for them on the playoff roster.

But o, what highway robbery! Ben Grieve and Mike DiFelice and all they gave up were two PTBNL. If only Kenny could make such great moves we'd be World Series bound this year. :rolleyes:

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 03:12 PM
I seem to remember a mr. ben grieve giving the flubbies a lot of trouble early in the year ........ whether or not it was an aberration is one thing, but to Assist in any way possible a team in your division is another thing. Somehow, Hendry knows something we dont about Grieve

CHISOXFAN13
09-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I seem to remember a mr. ben grieve giving the flubbies a lot of trouble early in the year ........ whether or not it was an aberration is one thing, but to Assist in any way possible a team in your division is another thing. Somehow, Hendry knows something we dont about Grieve
Grieve k's about once evey 3.5 at-bats and hasn't been very good as a pinch hitter.

They can have him. This move does absolutely nada.

kittle42
09-01-2004, 04:59 PM
No, he doesn't.

You want to replace Hollandsworth, so you need a LH OF bat off the bench. You see what kind of garbage is out there. You get Ben Grieve. If ANY OTHER TEAM made this move, you would just twirl your finger and say "whoop-de-doo." Sometimes, the anti-Cubbie Kool-aid needs to be put down for a second.

akingamongstmen
09-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Uhh, you guys are joking right? Both of these guys suck. Mike DiFelice is no longer a major league player. The only role he can fill on the team is the designated wife beater. He's useless. The Cubs got him because they want a 3rd catcher (as do most teams at this point of the year) and didn't think their options in the minors were very good. My initial reaction was, "The Tigers actually got a player to be named for Mike freaking DiFelice." The PTBN never has to play a game for their minor league organization and they've come out ahead. Same goes for Grieve. I can't believe we're actually hearing suggestions that we should have gone after Ben Grieve. I'd rather see Jamie Burke as our everyday right fielder. Burke would be just as good defensively (as would about 700 other current major leaguers) and he would hit a lot better. I'd rather see Joe Borchard in right field everyday. Or Timo Perez for that matter. I can't believe I've just seen the names of Mike DiFelice and Ben Grieve in the same sentence with the phrase "players of value."

O and to follow this all up, both useless players are Free Agents at the end of the year and the Cubs were so concerned with them that they didn't even bother making room for them on the playoff roster.

But o, what highway robbery! Ben Grieve and Mike DiFelice and all they gave up were two PTBNL. If only Kenny could make such great moves we'd be World Series bound this year. :rolleyes:
Ditto.