PDA

View Full Version : Now That 2004 is History, Did Everyone Go To As Many Ballgames as You Last Year?

Hangar18
08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
I followed Jerry Reinsdorfs Fiscal Plan for 2004, and ALSO cut back Immensely
my spending and attendance at games this season. Im already getting "homesick" missing the ballpark. Did anyone else NOT go to as many games as last year?

bobj4400
08-31-2004, 02:08 PM
I went to my last game on August 11. Have since given away tickets to three games. I just have no desire to watch this team anymore this season. I will probably give away my tickets to the final three games in my partial season ticket package as well. 15 games is enough for me for this season.

kittle42
08-31-2004, 02:18 PM
I went to 23 homes games and 3 road games this year, ending up 1 fewer than last year. However, I did it in less time, as I have not attended a game in almost a month and will not be going the rest of the season.

spiffie
08-31-2004, 02:19 PM
I went to more games this year as my friend and I bought the Starting Nine package so that we could get all three of the Sox/Cubs games. Last year I only got there four times, but this time it was 12 games. And much like bobj I have given away tickets and refused other ticket offers. I can't take any more games this year. The personal seven game losing streak I'm on was too much, especially after the Elvis Night debacle of a game.

gosox3072
08-31-2004, 02:27 PM
I went to 9 games this year.....that is more than double than i had ever gone in one season.

CubKilla
08-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Went to about 15-20 games a year till this year. I also followed JR's lead and only attended 2 games this season..... free tix to both games..... didn't pay for parking..... and didn't spend one friggin' cent in USCF. Now I know what being cheap feels like :smile:

But I'd rather pay to see a winner. I do miss going to the games and tailgating. I miss my friends I met there. But 20+ years of JR's BS is enough.

HomeFish
08-31-2004, 02:32 PM
I've been to 20 games so far, and they are an even 10-10. I believe I was on pace for a record number of games until they collapsed.

Considering that, in my lifetime, I have been to 51 sox games, 20 in one season is a lot for me. I might have gone to slightly more last year, but I doubt it.

I'm going today, though, so it'll be 21 games barring a premature death or somesuch.

Hangar18
08-31-2004, 02:35 PM
since were on this subject, I asked my cousin recently if he was up for Season Tickets NEXT YEAR. Im sure it was the wrong time to ask .............
as he Angrily Frowned his face, and walked away from me .........

LuvSox
08-31-2004, 02:42 PM
I've been to the park roughly 1/3 of the time spent last year. I have tix for two more though.

Sad
08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
been to 10 games so far and have tix to 4 more
(2 this week Thursday/Friday night)

I'm gonna probably ride it out and attend them even though I have to travel in from Michigan & I'll inevitably suffer further indigestion & heartache... but it's a long way until opening day 2005...

fortunately for me many of them were weekday games (offsite meetings) so a bad day at the park is better than a good day at the office...

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
I went this year for the first time since 1992. 1993 was when I, ahem, got into a more bohemian lifestyle of listening to and playing loud music, pursuing a college education, working for a living and infrequent experimentation with, ahem, questionable activities. :redneck

While I continued to follow the Sox and rooted for them in 93, 94 and 95, I didn't go to any games. Then I moved to Texas in 1999. I have seen them each year in Texas since 2000, however, beginning with my bachelor party in 2000 at a Sox-Rangers game. In 2002 and 2003, my trips to Chicago happened to coincide with Sox road trips. This year I changed my heretofore errant travel plans and went to the Sox-Twins game on Monday, July 26. Maybe it's my fault they went on a downward spiral beginning that night. :(:

So I went to 1,000,000 percent more games than I have in the last decade. But it didn't do much good for the team, although I personally had a great time at the Cell. :bandance:

ode to veeck
08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
went to 5 or 6 games in Oakland this year. While in Chicago a few times this summer, I really didn't have time to get to any games at the Cell or they were out of twon when I was there. Don't know that I'll go when I am back in Chicago in Sept

maurice
08-31-2004, 03:41 PM
I went to 25+ games at the Cell last year but only 5 or so this year. I haven't been to the Cell in about two months, though I was in Cleveland last Thursday.

HebrewHammer
08-31-2004, 03:57 PM
After the hot start I was on pace for 32 games, but since the losing streak began I have cut back drastically, before the all star break I went to 18 games, since then I've gone to two and I have tickets for just two more, half way to St. Patrick's day and the last game against the Twins, it was a birthday gift for my father, "Happy Birthday Dad, I hope you like crap." Last year I made it to just over 20, so I think I'm set to break even.

ChiSoxBobette
08-31-2004, 04:05 PM
my spending and attendance at games this season. Im already getting "homesick" missing the ballpark. Did anyone else NOT go to as many games as last year?
More, weekend season tickets + extra games, whether they suck or are in a race I love my White Sox. as a matter of fact we'll be there for thurs. vs the A's and Fri, Sat, Sun vs the M's.

skobabe8
08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Tonight will be my 23rd game of the year. 21 of those were home games, 1 at the urinal, and 1 at the Jake. I bought the starting 9 package, also. Last year I was at 10 games, and the years before that I only went to 3-5 games per summer. So this year was easily the most of my life.

Funny, I thought I was in for a real treat. I knew I'd be at around 20 games, and I thought there was a real shot at the post-season. I tried to sculpt my starting 9 package around games in September that I thought could possibly be division clinchers. :whiner:

munchman33
08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
By the end of the season I'll have gone to 30 games. Management has shown me they are willing to do what it takes. I honestly believe things would have been a whole lot different if Frank and Maggs were around for the whole year.

ZachAL
08-31-2004, 04:29 PM
made it to 27 games this year, pretty good i thought considering school had me out of town until middle of May and then I had to leave again middle of august. Shouldnt have gone to as many though cause my record was 11-16. Hopefully theyll give me reason to go to more next year.

FARMEO
08-31-2004, 04:32 PM
I definitely cut back this year. I usually go to about 10-15 games a year. This year I made it to 5 and I paid full price for only one game, opening day.

pinwheels3530
08-31-2004, 05:41 PM
I lost count......:dunno:

StillMissOzzie
08-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Many less games this year, but it's due to my own financial situation as opposed to a protest against JR's payroll budget.

SMO
:(:

cwsox
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Went to about 15-20 games a year till this year. <clip>

But I'd rather pay to see a winner. I do miss going to the games and tailgating. I miss my friends I met there. But 20+ years of JR's BS is enough.
I cut back too, cost of gas, the unattractiveness of this team, and have missed the Sox and missed USCF and missed real friends

winning ugly 72
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
i went to about 6 games this year my last game was the day game against minnesota when they swept us out of the cell

balke
08-31-2004, 05:59 PM
I've been to one sox game in my life, because I don't live near chitown/ was always broke/ immediate family didn't like the sox as much as I.

This season I went to 9 games, and I think that was pretty limited. I wanted to get out more, just didn't have time.

Mohoney
08-31-2004, 06:56 PM
I went to over 45 home games last year (27 Split Season, 7 in my Sox Seven, Opening Day, the entire Cubs series, and several half-price nights and dollar dog Thursdays). I've already been to about 40 this year (21 Split Season so far, 4 in my 5 Spot so far, Opening Day, the entire Yankee series, the entire first series against the Twins, The entire Cubs series, some half-price nights and dollar dog Thursdays, and two freebie doubleheader games that coincided with days in my Split Season plan), and I still have tickets for 7 more games.

I actually will end up having gone to more home games this year than last year.

Road games, however, will go down from 5 (the entire Cubs series, and 2 games in Detroit) to 2 (2 games in Detroit again).

Parrothead
08-31-2004, 06:59 PM
I have downsided too this year. I will attend 20 games down from 30. Tuesday night fight night has ruined games for me and i only attended one this year. I also went to Oakland to see a couple of games. This year the number is down due to lack of funds.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2004, 07:36 PM
I went to eight games, 3-5 record. Eight would be my record for games in a season. I just had money to burn this year and it was really worth going until July. Unless someone offers me free tickets in a great location, I'm not going again so 8 will be my total.

duke of dorwood
08-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Only 2-fewest I have ever been at this point in season

whitesoxwilkes
08-31-2004, 10:50 PM
33 this year, on pace for about 40 tops. Comes nowhere near my record of 51 set last year.

JB98
08-31-2004, 11:03 PM
I went to 10 games last year and finished 8-2. I've been to 16 so far this season and have gone 11-5. I've been lucky not to see too many corpseball games, other than the 12-0 debacle vs. Anaheim on my birthday.

Of course, the main reason for my increased attendance is my move to North Aurora. Last year, I lived out in Sterling, and that's a long haul that I could only make on Sundays. I've been able to catch a few weekday games now that I'm back living in the suburbs.

I'll probably go to a couple more games this year; maybe three at the most. What the hell else am I going to do? Football season is nothing to look forward to. My beloved Illini suck, and so do the Bears.

GiveMeSox
09-01-2004, 03:14 AM
I too am feeling homesick away from USCF. I went to 12 home games this year and 1 on the road in florida. Thats about double the amount i went last year. Thats pretty darn good considering i have to be at school during april, some of august, and all of september. I think the diff was this year we were exciting and in contention from the get go. I remember all the buzz back in april, may, and june about how good this team is and how well some guys are performing. A lot of people, including me made it out to the park in may and june as last year no one went until july and august until they finally pulled it together.

Deadguy
09-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Less, but it had more to do with dealing with work and graduate school than the Sox performance this season. I still hope to attend some games in September.

JoseCanseco6969
09-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Not at all, I went to over 30 games and have no regrets for it. I think we had a winner in the beginning of the season, but losing # 3 and 4 really screwed us. I just hope we make some good moves with Maggs money in the offseason for a pitcher

Hangar18
09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
everyone, I forgot to post the poll with this. please vote
if you went MORE despite Reinsdorf
or LESS because of Reinsdorf

SSN721
09-01-2004, 10:53 AM
I went more despite reinsdorf. I didnt care about him, dont let that determine the amount of games. I went to maybe 10-12 games last year, this year it will be approaching 30 by the end of the year. Moving to Chicago and the el line also made it much easier and convenient and why i went to many more games this year.

thepaulbowski
09-01-2004, 12:07 PM
I enjoy baseball games, what Reisndorf does or doesn't do doesn't affect my attendance. For the record I went to less games this year than last only because I spent a lot of time traveling. JR ticked me off so much I just had to get out of town everyweekend.

CellBlockInmate
09-01-2004, 06:50 PM
I hit about 12 games this. Not including the 3 spring traing games I saw. My g/f saw about 9 games also, but we usually went to half price nights or day games. We figured that if the Sox were cutting back on what they could spend so should we. So we saved and spent it on going to as many games as we could afford.

Foulke You
09-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I went to about 12 games this year (9 home, 3 road). I normally go to about 15-20 games a year so yeah, I'm down a little from normal years. Part of the reason is I was moving to a new place and had less cash but part of it is because I won't be spending a lot of money on this team when they aren't in a pennant race. Last year, I was going to quite a few games in August and September while we were in the hunt, not happening this year. I will go to one more game in September because I have 2 free passes that expire at the end of the season. That will be all for me until Sox Fest.

whtsx1959
09-01-2004, 07:48 PM
ive paid attendance to 9 games (7 at the cell, 2 at fenway)i stood outside of wrigley for the sunday sox game (2 reasons, wouldnt support the cubs payroll, and wanted to mock the cub fans)
last year i went to about 15, now with 'school' i wont be going to any more

Flight #24
09-01-2004, 09:35 PM
everyone, I forgot to post the poll with this. please vote
if you went MORE despite Reinsdorf
or LESS because of Reinsdorf
What if I went MORE, but Reinsdorf had nothing to do with it? I'd take #3, but that seems to imply I didn't change my attendance....

Palehose Pete
09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I went to less games this year than last year, but that's because I travel more for work this year than last year.

If I ever get homesick for the park, I grill up a brat and some onions and take in that wonderful perfume that greets me every time I enter the concourse at Comiskey. Ahhh... I can almost smell it now... :D:

Tekijawa
09-02-2004, 12:00 PM
I probably would have ended up going to more this year if they were still competing, now I'll go on the cheap dates and if there's a pitcher/player I want to see... I actually was begining to plan a Trip to KC for the road trip at the end of the year, but Luckily they started losing before I made any concrete decisions!

zach23
09-02-2004, 12:25 PM
We had our usual 27 game package this year and with the extra games we bought ahead of time, had about 35 or 36 games. I had to miss Monday and Tuesday's games this week because we just adopted a baby that was born premature and I was at the hospital with him. I will wind up making about 32 games out of the tickets we had.
I am getting ready to head out there today with my brother to eat some dollar dogs and toast a few beers to my new son and my bro's new nephew. I am usually there with my good friend of many years (Blob), but he can't make it today.

We are thinking of upgrading to a full season package next year so we can still have our bleacher seats for the extra games we usually buy. I feel fortunate that I am in a position to even consider doing something like that. The time I spend out there with friends and family and the memories I have of them are worth much more than the ticket prices. I am looking forward to possibly taking my nephews to the season ticket holder party this year to play catch in the outfield, and I can't wait until I can do the same with my son. I also can't wait to take him to games and teach him to keep score with his uncle Blob. Hopefully we can sit at a World Series game someday soon.

As long as I have the funds, I wouldn't trade my tickets for anything. I grew up going to the old park with my family, and want my son to do the same. He will be part of the next generation of die hard Sox fans. Life is short, and I have lost some good friends and family members in the past years that were too young to go. I'd love to have them still here with me to go to a game on a nice afternoon like this. So I will make sure I enjoy every one I have with the people I care about now.

soxtalker
09-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I have attended more games this year, but the reasons have nothing to do with the way you've phrased the poll question. One big reason was the Granton marketing ticket package. I guess that comes down to pricing, but there are other factors. I avoid the normal half-price nights, as they tend to attract a crowd that is more into drinking (actually the resulting behaviour of a certain segment of some of the drunk fans) and less into baseball. Another factor was the addition of a roof; the upper-deck experience is much more pleasant than in the past.

JR's "promise" to spend more money really has only a very indirect effect on my attendance. I would attend a few games even if they were terrible, but the number would increase with a team that has a chance of winning. So, the possibility of spending more money only has an effect if it results in a better team. While I realize that there is a significant segment of the WSI membership that feels that spending more money is essential, I don't. But that's an issue that has been and will be debated in many other threads.

HITMEN OF 77
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
More. I haven't been to a Sox game in Chicago for 5 years. Went to 5 games in April when I was back for a small vacation. Loved every minute of it.

soxwon
09-02-2004, 07:59 PM
ive been to 30 27 home games 3 road

ill go MORE NEXT YEAR.

they can play monkees out there, NOTHING deters me from going.
im a TRUE FAN, i live breathe, drink, SOX BASEBALL
if they lose 100 im there, if they win 100 im there.

signed
im there no matter what.
gO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!