PDA

View Full Version : Should the SOX upgrade the homerun celebration?

MarkM2112
08-31-2004, 01:21 PM
One of the things I like about going to a Sox game is watching the Home Run celebration with the fireworks and chaser lights, but after watching the fireworks at the olympics, and seeing a snippet from a Kiss concert with the electronic KISS sign going nuts during the show, the Sox home run spectacular just doesn't seem so spectacular anymore... I was thinking that the Home Run show could be "upgraded" for lack of a better term. I remember reading "Veeck as in Wreck", and he mentioned that the original SOX scoreboard did something different every time... I think that something like that would be cool... maybe set off some spark fountains or roman candles from the pinwheel towers in sequence, one time going towards the middle, another time going out from the middle... or something like that... As far as the rest of the board, maybe hide some strobe lights in the facing of the scoreboard, and have them flash randomly to make a twinkling effect, and perhaps do something with the chaser lights as well, kind of like the Kiss sign at a Kiss concert... (btw, I am NOT a kiss fan, but I DO think their electronic sign is cool) What do you all think?

santo=dorf
08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
I like how LA uses strobe lights for their home run celebrations, but I would like to see the Sox bring back the air raid siren that they used for a HR.

Hangar18
08-31-2004, 01:33 PM
I say Remake the scoreboard, as it looked in the 1970s, with the angular
straight lines...... and Use AIRCRAFT LIGHTS all around the board to lite up.
ALSO .......ADD 2 missing pinwheels, and remove the Center Pinwheel
and PUT A REAL CLOCK there. Smoke emenating from the bottom of the scoreboard, as if its about to TAKEOFF ....... that would be cool, esp
for all the kiddies now in attendnce

Brian26
08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
and remove the Center Pinwheel
and PUT A REAL CLOCK there

And it MUST be an ELGIN clock! Take it back old school.

Soxzilla
08-31-2004, 02:02 PM
but I would like to see the Sox bring back the air raid siren that they used for a HR.
:Rocker: :Rocker: My sentiments exactly.

Tekijawa
08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
DOWNGRADE THE HOMERUN CELEBRATION!!!

And upgrade the Bunt and base hit celebration...

I think were reinforcing a bad behavior here!

Palehose13
08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
And it MUST be an ELGIN clock! Take it back old school.
Speaking of old school, I'd like to see teh crowd get back into the "Na na na na..." cause I sure am getting sick of being one of the few people singing it. IMO, years ago there was nothing like the whole crowd breaking into that song after a Sox HR or when an opposing pitcher is taken out. That's one tradition I would like restored, but I guess that is up to the fans (but they could make Nancy LOUDER during those times.)

mdep524
08-31-2004, 02:19 PM
DOWNGRADE THE HOMERUN CELEBRATION!!!

And upgrade the Bunt and base hit celebration...

I think were reinforcing a bad behavior here!
LOL, I can see it now: Rowand singles, Robby Alomar bunts him over to second base and the scoreboard explodes in fireworks.

misty60481
08-31-2004, 02:26 PM
And all 3,500 people in the stands go crazy

Tekijawa
08-31-2004, 02:36 PM
And all 3,500 people in the stands go crazyThe pitcher leaves the mound after being taken out with his head down and Palehose rises and is the only one accompaning Nancy in "Na na na na..." then some Wanabe Cubs fan tosses a Foulball back on the field, and waives to the camera Much to the delight of a Heckeling Hangar, Meanwhile Jerko is gathering his Nachos with overflowing Cheese and Pepers trying to figure out what is going on....

Baby Fisk
08-31-2004, 02:38 PM
The pitcher leaves the mound after being taken out with his head down and Palehose rises and is the only one accompaning Nancy in "Na na na na..." then some Wanabe Cubs fan tosses a Foulball back on the field, and waives to the camera Much to the delight of a Heckeling Hangar, Meanwhile Jerko is gathering his Nachos with overflowing Cheese and Pepers trying to figure out what is going on....Meanwhile, out of town fans curse at the TV and turn their thoughts to what DVDs to watch for the rest of the night...

Palehose13
08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
The pitcher leaves the mound after being taken out with his head down and Palehose rises and is the only one accompaning Nancy in "Na na na na..." then some Wanabe Cubs fan tosses a Foulball back on the field, and waives to the camera Much to the delight of a Heckeling Hangar, Meanwhile Jerko is gathering his Nachos with overflowing Cheese and Pepers trying to figure out what is going on....
Heehee...but shouldn't Hangar have some sort of sign that is anti-FUNdamentals? :wink: And where are you during all of this, Tekijawa?

Jerko
08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
The pitcher leaves the mound after being taken out with his head down and Palehose rises and is the only one accompaning Nancy in "Na na na na..." then some Wanabe Cubs fan tosses a Foulball back on the field, and waives to the camera Much to the delight of a Heckeling Hangar, Meanwhile Jerko is gathering his Nachos with overflowing Cheese and Pepers trying to figure out what is going on....
Gee, the ONE time I don't pay attention and I'm never gonna hear the end of it. I didn't think I'd miss anything with Borchie boy up. Mercy. :redface:

Tekijawa
08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Heehee...but shouldn't Hangar have some sort of sign that is anti-FUNdamentals? :wink: And where are you during all of this, Tekijawa?
At home watching tivo'd Chappell's Show, Letterman or when all else fails Jerry Springer. I usually make it through the first two innings and then have to open a bottle of something to calm me down... Ever since Burke got run over comming to work the next day hasn't been nearly as productive...

P.S. Did anyone see Gload Run over Leiberthal yesterday on the play at the plate? Yeah I must have missed it too... I think the first week of spring training next year should just be 8 hour sessions of knocking over stacked bricks infront of Home plate!

Palehose13
08-31-2004, 03:49 PM
P.S. Did anyone see Gload Run over Leiberthal yesterday on the play at the plate? Yeah I must have missed it too... I think the first week of spring training next year should just be 8 hour sessions of knocking over stacked bricks infront of Home plate!
My college coach had a similar problem with a majority of players (not me!) on my team. He brought a tackling dummy (if that is what they are called, it was something from football practice) and had us plow into that while claiming our base. We had quite an aggressive team after that. :D:

Tekijawa
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
My college coach had a similar problem with a majority of players (not me!) on my team. He brought a tackling dummy (if that is what they are called, it was something from football practice) and had us plow into that while claiming our base. We had quite an aggressive team after that. :D:
If ozzie did that here Frank would try and Run around it, Carlos would get caught in a rundown with it and the invisible 3rd baseman, and Ross would try and give it a hug while running at a konerko-esk pace after it had been waiting for 20 seconds with ball in hand.

Yorke97
08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
We all remember the excitement of the exlploding scoreboard from our youth, it was one of those things that made going to White Sox games special. But now everyone does it!! I think the moment I realized we needed to upgrand was when I played a baseball game for playstation a couple years ago and there would be the sound and sight of fireworks for the hometeam for EVERY park ... except Comiskey!!

The USCF fireworks are lame and come from beyond the LF concourse instead of the scoreboard. I'd much rather have better team on the field, but if they're going to go out and stink up the place it might as well be entertaining for the fans.

tebman
08-31-2004, 05:23 PM
One of the things I like about going to a Sox game is watching the Home Run celebration with the fireworks and chaser lights, but after watching the fireworks at the olympics, and seeing a snippet from a Kiss concert with the electronic KISS sign going nuts during the show, the Sox home run spectacular just doesn't seem so spectacular anymore... I was thinking that the Home Run show could be "upgraded" for lack of a better term. I remember reading "Veeck as in Wreck", and he mentioned that the original SOX scoreboard did something different every time... I think that something like that would be cool... maybe set off some spark fountains or roman candles from the pinwheel towers in sequence, one time going towards the middle, another time going out from the middle... or something like that... As far as the rest of the board, maybe hide some strobe lights in the facing of the scoreboard, and have them flash randomly to make a twinkling effect, and perhaps do something with the chaser lights as well, kind of like the Kiss sign at a Kiss concert... (btw, I am NOT a kiss fan, but I DO think their electronic sign is cool) What do you all think?
You can hear how Veeck originally meant for it to sound by going to this page and scrolling down to the 1964 and 1965 game audio clips:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241

This has been discussed in previous threads, and there's a general consensus that the board has been tamed and declawed too much over the years. It was originally raucous, loud and goofy. Now it just lights up politely and inoffensive fireworks appear from behind. I miss the old board's attitude.

Hey, the team's not generating any excitement, so let's spice up the board!

- tebman

Hangar18
08-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Laughing my ***** off right now heh heh

Hangar18
08-31-2004, 05:32 PM
LOL, I can see it now: Rowand singles, Robby Alomar bunts him over to second base and the scoreboard explodes in fireworks.
I almost choked laughing at this ............. heh heh

24thStFan
08-31-2004, 05:59 PM
You can hear how Veeck originally meant for it to sound by going to this page and scrolling down to the 1964 and 1965 game audio clips:

- tebman
Thanks for this link! Great memories - This is the way the monster ought to be! :supernana: :dtroll: :gulp:

Lem_Siddons
08-31-2004, 07:25 PM
The biggest problem with the display is it doesn't happen early and often enough.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2004, 07:52 PM

This has been discussed in previous threads, and there's a general consensus that the board has been tamed and declawed too much over the years. It was originally raucous, loud and goofy. Now it just lights up politely and inoffensive fireworks appear from behind. I miss the old board's attitude.

Hey, the team's not generating any excitement, so let's spice up the board!

- tebmanAs outrageous as the old Monster scoreboard sounds today, imagine how it sounded back in the staid world of baseball back in the 60's. Everybody does fireworks these days!

Outrageous homerun celebrations is what the Monster represented, another great Sox tradition plowed over by Mr. PR Disaster, Jerry Reinsdorf.

The White Sox should have the biggest, loudest, most outrageous, and yes -- the most obnoxious home run celebration in all of sports. **** the other teams and their sensitive feelings!

I say we put up a new scoreboard five-times bigger than the current insipid version, topped with real-life howitzer artillery guns that recoil after every bomb. Call the Museum of Science and Industry and get a loan to relocate the U-505 above the batters eye, and "blow it up" with simulated dive bombers sounds, lights, smoke and bombs.

How many other cities can match a German submarine getting blown up after every home run? Not a single one.

:bandance:

shingotime10
08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
I like how LA uses strobe lights for their home run celebrations, but I would like to see the Sox bring back the air raid siren that they used for a HR.

I AGREE

mike squires
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Speaking of old school, I'd like to see teh crowd get back into the "Na na na na..." cause I sure am getting sick of being one of the few people singing it. IMO, years ago there was nothing like the whole crowd breaking into that song after a Sox HR or when an opposing pitcher is taken out. That's one tradition I would like restored, but I guess that is up to the fans (but they could make Nancy LOUDER during those times.)
could not agree with you more! I thought I was the only one that noticed that tradition is no longer. Nancy still plays anyway. Even after the game there are fewer people singing it. Only when the pitchers change do they get into it. I love it when 30,000 plus sing it. I remember game 1 of the playoffs in 2000 they changed pitchers and it just sounded beautiful. I think it sounded slightly better in old comiskey though.

Palehose13
09-01-2004, 12:16 AM
could not agree with you more! I thought I was the only one that noticed that tradition is no longer. Nancy still plays anyway. Even after the game there are fewer people singing it. Only when the pitchers change do they get into it. I love it when 30,000 plus sing it. I remember game 1 of the playoffs in 2000 they changed pitchers and it just sounded beautiful. I think it sounded slightly better in old comiskey though.
I read an article once where opposing pitchers absolutely HATED getting pulled from a game at Comiskey because of the fans and our "na na na" tradition. When I go to games now, I feel that almost no one knows of the tradition for HR's and yanking of opposing pitchers. That is one thing that I really miss. Oh to have even 25,000 people singing for Hr's and yanking of pitchers. Oh for the good ole days...and I'm not even 30 yet (almost, but not quite!)!!!!

tebman
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I read an article once where opposing pitchers absolutely HATED getting pulled from a game at Comiskey because of the fans and our "na na na" tradition. When I go to games now, I feel that almost no one knows of the tradition for HR's and yanking of opposing pitchers. That is one thing that I really miss. Oh to have even 25,000 people singing for Hr's and yanking of pitchers. Oh for the good ole days...and I'm not even 30 yet (almost, but not quite!)!!!!That's true. When the exploding scoreboard was new in the early '60s, opposing pitchers and visiting teams in general hated it. They called it bush, provoked them to throw at batters, even provoked Jimmy Piersall when he was playing CF for the visiting team to throw his warmup ball at the board.

In the years after 1977 when Na-Na-Hey-Hey was sung lustily as an opposing pitcher was removed, the opposing pitchers hated that too.

Did any of that help win games? Who knows -- maybe Bill James could do a statistical analysis on their effects. But there's no doubt that it's a home-field advantage and a terrific morale booster for the team and the crowd. Why on earth would the Sox not want to take advantage of that? Tony LaRussa said once in an interview about game strategy that "there's a lot goes on" in winning games. His point being that you look for every advantage you can legally take, and then take it.

Noisy scoreboards and rowdy songs are two arrows the Sox have had in their quivers for decades, but they're not using them. I don't get it.

- tebman