PDA

View Full Version : Random Baseball Stat Question

DrummerGeorgefan
08-31-2004, 01:34 AM
My buddies and I were watching the Sunday night game on ESPN and this question was posed.....

In what inning, throughout all baseball, all games, are the most runs scored? Basically, is there any inning in which scoring is highest and can it be attributed to a pattern or is does it vary from year to year? (Ok, I admit, this is the type of question you get when University of Chicago kids watch baseball games)

My theory is that it would be the 5th or 6th inning for 2 reasons. First, batters have faced the pitcher at least once and in most cases twice so they pick up the movement. Secondly, by that time the pitcher's arm had tired and velocity and movement are decreased.

Does anyone have this data or have thoughts on the idea?

HomeFish
08-31-2004, 02:02 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com

There's the raw data. Have fun crunching it. :smile:

bigfoot
08-31-2004, 04:13 PM
A guess, top of the 3rd inning. Pitcher has nothing, been through the order once already, too early for a long reliever(the MGR hopes), since the starter has wiggled out of a couple of early jambs, the MGR will ride him a while longer. More in NL than AL, wouldn't want to waste the RP spot when SP at-bat is due at the bottom of the inning.