PDA

View Full Version : New Upper Deck

whitesoxwilkes
08-30-2004, 09:30 PM
After 34 games this year in the lower tank, I decided to save a couple bucks and sit upstairs today...so I finally got the chance to check out the renovations up close. The walls look great with the murals, and looking up at the ironwork holding up the new roof, I couldn't help but be impressed.

The downer is that with the translucent panels along the outer wall, it's kinda dark up there. I'm sure if Moronotti actually came to the park and waddled up there, he'd talk about how dangerous it was...since the South Side is so chock full of hoodlums looking to take your wallet at every dark corner.

Halfway through the second, ushers came around and told us we could move downstairs if we so desired. I promptly obliged and spent the rest of the game on the fan deck.

cubhater
08-30-2004, 09:47 PM
I admire the same renovations that you mentioned and the UD is much improved. However (and yes, this is sounding like a whiny Sox fan), I still hate the steepness and how high up it is. I'll spend the couple of extra bucks any day just to sit in the lower deck.

cwsox
08-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I am an Upper Decker - love it up there - lines much shorter and my seats are right behind home plate and other than clujb seats (as if I could afford those) that is where I want to sit, by choice

it does look good and those murals are fascinating - always spend a lot of time looking at them

pinwheels3530
08-30-2004, 11:41 PM
I admire the same renovations that you mentioned and the UD is much improved. However (and yes, this is sounding like a whiny Sox fan), I still hate the steepness and how high up it is. I'll spend the couple of extra bucks any day just to sit in the lower deck.

I was just at Jacobs Field in Cleveland and their upper deck is just a steep as ours, in fact most of the new parks (with exception of PNC park) ud are up high. The new roof makes a hell of difference and the new wall that covers the concourse is cool especially at night driving by the park it gives it a glowing look. Jacobs field and PNC park ud has a open concourse so I am sure they have the same weather problems we use to have in April and May.

SomebodyToldMe
08-31-2004, 12:02 AM
I love the view that you get from the upper deck seats.

It's a beautiful thing.

GiveMeSox
08-31-2004, 02:11 AM
After 34 games this year in the lower tank, I decided to save a couple bucks and sit upstairs today...so I finally got the chance to check out the renovations up close. The walls look great with the murals, and looking up at the ironwork holding up the new roof, I couldn't help but be impressed.

The downer is that with the translucent panels along the outer wall, it's kinda dark up there. I'm sure if Moronotti actually came to the park and waddled up there, he'd talk about how dangerous it was...since the South Side is so chock full of hoodlums looking to take your wallet at every dark corner.

Halfway through the second, ushers came around and told us we could move downstairs if we so desired. I promptly obliged and spent the rest of the game on the fan deck.The whole thing is on optical illusion and interpretation by our brains. Our upper deck this year has vastly improved. But what really changed, the asthetics is all. With a new roof closely overhead with a nice classic look and feel the upper deck seems less overwhelming, the old design was in fact very overwhelming. Id say the biggest plus has been the look of the stadium from the outside. No longer so you see a gigantic conrete circular bland looking bowl rising up and up and then a roof angled up. You now have a nice, much lower, irownwork cantilivered roof that jets out over more than half the lower deck. However the upper deck was actually reduced and the steepest seats removed, as the rows go up so does the steepness of the seats since the seating is bowl designed circular instead of linear. Its like an exponential graph. The glass panel really helps make it more confortable up there sheltering you from the wind and rain. So basically what we have is still and upper deck that starts out far away and higher up then many other parks, but it doesn't feel overwhelmingly large or intimidating anymore, more cozy and its size seems very fitting. The steepness of the 21 rows and there height might be a little higher than some other newer parks becuase of the fundamental design of the stadium, but its really not that bad. In order for the sightlines to be mainted the bowl rises and curves, you need to be able to see from your seat on a line to home plate. Other stadiums simply use connecting linear blocks and linear sections to create the same effects, IE Cleveland and Baltimore. However the UD in both those stadiums are still just as high and steep, cleveland is even steeper and higher. The difference is the feeling of intimidation by the UD, does it dwarf the rest of the seating area and does it go up forever. Its safe to say ours used too, but does not feel or look like this anymore. Hence this is why they get away with it in cleveland, baltimore, and now Chicago. No more complaints, its all good.

Clembasbal
09-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I love the view that you get from the upper deck seats.

It's a beautiful thing.
My family is a long time season ticket holder in the outfield, and there is a sense of being there - in the game - when one is at field height in the front row...but I went up to the upper deck about two weeks ago and sat right behind home plate...I saw everything and I loved it. The perspective is wonderful and amazing, just if we could have made the stadium face North instead of Southeast and it would have been a little slice of heaven.

Brian26
09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
The upper deck is a nice place to watch a game if you really want to pay attention to what's going on.

Sad
09-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I'll take first 8 or so rows of the upper deck near or between the bases over lower deck outfield any day... it's more enjoyable for me being near the infield... they did a fine job w/ UD rennovations I thought

cwsox
09-01-2004, 01:21 PM
The upper deck is a nice place to watch a game if you really want to pay attention to what's going on.
absolutely

it is the perfect place to watch

plus the new roof seems to have changed inside the park wind currents which may account for some of the long balls hit this year

the Tiger announcers have said that repeatedly during games this year

soxnut
09-01-2004, 01:58 PM
If you are really there to watch the game, there is probably no better place than the upper deck. It offers a great view of everything on the field. I've been to Petco this year, and our UD is no better or worse than theirs. I guess the media will have to find something else to complain about when it comes to our park.:D:

munchman33
09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
I have always liked the upper deck and did not agree with a lot of their criticism (I've been to pretty much every ballpark, our upper deck was never bad, believe me). My one true qualm with it still has not been addressed, that being the lack of food selection upstairs.

whtsx1959
09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
i agree the upperdeck looks nice, but for the saturday cubs sox game i sat with a pole between me and home plate so i was leaning on my friend to see the game

the old upper deck to courage (and stamina) to ascend the 29 rows

*footnote: i've had last row of the upper deck for 3 different cubs/sox games

batmanZoSo
09-01-2004, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=whtsx1959]i agree the upperdeck looks nice, but for the saturday cubs sox game i sat with a pole between me and home plate so i was leaning on my friend to see the game

the old upper deck to courage (and stamina) to ascend the 29 rows

*footnote: i've had last row of the upper deck for 3 different cubs/sox games[ (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=161,28180399,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,0)/QUOTE]

You just won the hard-luck lottery. There are only like 20 seats at most where that happens. I walked around once before a game to see what it would be like to sit behind a pole and most of the seats in the top few rows didn't have a plate blocking view. I think the poles and the roof are well worth the handful of bad seats they cause.

whtsx1959
09-01-2004, 09:11 PM
You just won the hard-luck lottery. There are only like 20 seats at most where that happens.
I feel so lucky, im gunna go buy a mega-millions ticket