PDA

View Full Version : Jaime Burke

joe47
08-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Has anyone noticed that he is now hitting .370? He has had limited playing time in his brief major league career, but he done well every time he has been called up. I was furious when they sent him down earlier this year when he was hitting .343. In Phil Rogers column today, he said that catcher is a big need for the Sox in the offseason. Can someone please explain why Burke gets no credit?

Daver
08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Has anyone noticed that he is now hitting .370? He has had limited playing time in his brief major league career, but he done well every time he has been called up. I was furious when they sent him down earlier this year when he was hitting .343. In Phil Rogers column today, he said that catcher is a big need for the Sox in the offseason. Can someone please explain why Burke gets no credit?
Journeyman catcher that does not do a great job calling pitches, has no ability to call a game, and has average at best defensive tools behind the plate. It doesn't matter what he hits, catcher is a defensive position, more so than any other position on the field.

Soxheads
08-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Journeyman catcher that does not do a great job calling pitches, has no ability to call a game, and has average at best defensive tools behind the plate. It doesn't matter what he hits, catcher is a defensive position, more so than any other position on the field.

Wow.....I'm gonna agree with Daver :o:

If Burke can hit .370 over a year, then you can convince me that he needs to be the starting catcher. But like daver said....give me a catcher with a cannon, a good glove and with a low cERA....I don't really care if he hits much at all. Of course, any hitting on top of that is gravy.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/smile.gif

Randar68
08-30-2004, 09:36 PM

If Burke can hit .370 over a year, then you can convince me that he needs to be the starting catcher. But like daver said....give me a catcher with a cannon, a good glove and with a low cERA....I don't really care if he hits much at all. Of course, any hitting on top of that is gravy.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/smile.gif
Actually, you don't mind it if a guy hits like Pudge or Piazza, if they can't play anywhere else. The thing with Burke is he's not likely a .250 AAA hitter, and yet inn these limited AB's, he's hitting out of his gourd. Burke was pretty yupset when he was sent down, and you feel bad for a guy when he's 32 years old, finally given a shot, and then hits .350. However, you just have to be realistic about things...

Soxheads
08-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually, you don't mind it if a guy hits like Pudge or Piazza, if they can't play anywhere else. The thing with Burke is he's not likely a .250 AAA hitter, and yet inn these limited AB's, he's hitting out of his gourd. Burke was pretty yupset when he was sent down, and you feel bad for a guy when he's 32 years old, finally given a shot, and then hits .350. However, you just have to be realistic about things...

I'm just happy that Big Ben is hitting so pimptastically....cause he's there behind the plate.

joe47
08-30-2004, 10:14 PM
I agree with you that calling a good game and a solid glove is the most important quality for a catcher. However, Ben Davis doesn't exactly have the glove and arm of Pudge Rodriguez. I'm as happy as anyone to see Ben come around and have (in my opinion) two solid catchers on the roster. As for the defensive comparison, Burke is about even with Davis.

Per Espn.com

Davis: Games=34 cERA=4.97 %caught stealing= 37% (15/9)
Burke: Games=31 cERA=4.79 % caught stealing= 50% (7/7)

Is Burke always going to always hit .370? Of course not. It's just frustrating to watch a guy that has proven himself get less playing time than a guy like Borchard is a huge dissapointment.

JGarlandrules20
08-30-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm just happy that Big Ben is hitting so pimptastically....cause he's there behind the plate.Pimptastically?
Lol.

Burke is hitting well but I'd rather have Davis behind the plate. There's been a few good throws home Burke hasn't been able to handle..

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-30-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm just happy that Big Ben is hitting so pimptastically....cause he's there behind the plate.
great choice of words man. i like ben. i respect him. alot. :smile:

Daver
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
I agree with you that calling a good game and a solid glove is the most important quality for a catcher. However, Ben Davis doesn't exactly have the glove and arm of Pudge Rodriguez. I'm as happy as anyone to see Ben come around and have (in my opinion) two solid catchers on the roster. As for the defensive comparison, Burke is about even with Davis.

Davis is a former first round draft pick that is years younger than Burke, Ben can call pitches, as well as attempt to call a game, he is also bi-lingual and can speak to the latin pitchers in their most familiar language. Ben also has an average arm, and can't hit a breaking ball.

santo=dorf
08-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Wasn't Burke playing RF and 3B during spring training?

Brian26
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Ben also has an average arm, and can't hit a breaking ball.
Sshh. Let the Tigers and Indians figure that out on their own.

joe47
09-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Jaime! You redeemed youself for flying out earlier with two men on base.

Nard
09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Dude goes 3-4 AGAIN.

This is not a freaking fluke.

What other positions can he play? He is the EXACT kind of player everyone is always bitching about wanting. Sprays base hits all over the place.

joe47
09-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Dude goes 3-4 AGAIN.

What other positions can he play? He is the EXACT kind of player everyone is always bitching about wanting. Sprays base hits all over the place.
In my fantasy world, Burke develops his fielding skills and takes over at 3B next year. I have liked this guy from the start, but I think I really liked the guy after he took that cheap shot from Tori (Head) Hunter.

Aidan
09-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Has anyone noticed that he is now hitting .370?Burke is actually hitting .390 now. :o:

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-01-2004, 10:55 PM
He is actually hitting .390 now. :o:
whoaaa:o:

Nard
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Heh, I almost forgot it was him who was on the receiving end of that travesty.

Talk about a lack of respect from the management.

Sent down while hitting .350; hit by the cheapest shot in the majors this year with no retaliation provided.

Nard
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
How many more ABs does he need to qualify for the batting title?

joe47
09-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Heh, I almost forgot it was him who was on the receiving end of that travesty.

Talk about a lack of respect from the management.

Sent down while hitting .350; hit by the cheapest shot in the majors this year with no retaliation provided.
The game before he was sent down earlier this year, he was 2-2 and was pinch hit in his last at bat by Timo Perez. The guy must have been scratching his head wondering what a guy has to do to get noticed by this managment.

joe47
09-01-2004, 11:00 PM
How many more ABs does he need to qualify for the batting title?
Ichiro better watch out.

Mohoney
09-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Wasn't Burke playing RF and 3B during spring training?
Exactly. Next season, when Crede decides to go into a 3-30 slump, we might actually have a backup 3B in Burke so we can nip a Crede slump in the bud with a day off here and there.

Why can't Burke play about 10-12 games at 3B next year in addition to making about 60 appearances behind the plate? Crede can't play all 162, and Uribe is going to have to focus on playing SS full time next season if Valentin leaves and Valdez isn't ready.

Jamie Burke could be something like Brandon Inge Lite.

MarkEdward
09-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Jamie Burke's 2004 = Hector Ortiz's 2000:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/ortizhe01.shtml
Ortiz hit .386/.443/.455 in 88 ABs. The following year he hit .247/.293/.299 in 154 ABs.

It's nice to see Burke doing well after so many years in the minors, but it's foolish to believe that Burke will be a big contributor down the line.

With this hot streak, though, he may have earned entry into the Back-up Catchers Club. Like those before him (Keith Osik, Joe Girardi, Tom Prince, etc.), he'll have no problems finding a job on a ML roster, no matter how horrid his batting line may be.

maurice
09-02-2004, 01:58 PM
From today's Herald (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intid=38232101):

Sox catcher Jamie Burke tied a career high with 3 hits and scored the team's first run of the game. Burke, who had 13 big-league at-bats before this season, is hitting .390 in 42 games. "I've got so much respect for this kid," Guillen said. "Since he got here he's been great in the clubhouse. He's a hard worker, calls the games really well. He's doing a tremendous job."
Granted, he'd be lucky to hit .250 over a full season, but there's no reason he can't stick somewhere in the league as a backup C. I mean, even Josh Paul has played in 38 games this season.

ClaudelSleptHere
09-02-2004, 03:00 PM

I can guarantee you that if we have a catcher who plays like you described, the people on this board will kill him for not "hitting much at all"

santo=dorf
09-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I must ask, who is Jaime Burke?

:jaime

"I'm the only Jaime Sox fans should remember."

joe47
09-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Dude goes 3-4 AGAIN.

From Whitesox.com:

Burke hit two home runs over 134 at-bats for Triple-A Charlotte this season and has 34 career minor league home runs in 12 seasons. During his three different stints with the White Sox this season, Burke hasn't come close to going deep and isn't even thinking about that first long ball.

The goal for Burke is to hit the ball where it's pitched. He would rather start or extend rallies, as opposed to setting off the fireworks. "I try to look up the middle, hit something hard there," Burke said. "I just try to stay through the ball. You want to make solid contact, and the home runs usually come by accident."

I would love to see the Sox have more hitters like this.

mealfred13
09-04-2004, 01:51 AM
I don't know about all this, "Burke would be lucky to hit .250 over a full season" talk. He's obviously doing something right. I have yet to see him not hit or at least get some great swings in any game he's played for us this season. Maybe he hits bad in the minor leagues because he's bored, or it's to slow for him (i'm only half-joking). He sprays the ball all over the field, he's a great contact hitter. I'd like to see what he can do next season in a longer stint.

CallMeNuts
09-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Journeyman catcher that does not do a great job calling pitches, has no ability to call a game, and has average at best defensive tools behind the plate. It doesn't matter what he hits, catcher is a defensive position, more so than any other position on the field.I thought I was pretty happy with a Davis & Burke for next year, but you make a great point. Over the last couple months all of our SP's seem to give up a crooked number in one of the first 3 innings. Could better pitch calling be the answer?

joe47
09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Burke tonight: 1 for 1, 2 RBIs and a run scored. Batting .379

SoxFan76
09-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Burke tonight: 1 for 1, 2 RBIs and a run scored. Batting .379
He just keeps on truckin.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Piazza and I-Rod in the same sentence. I hope you know Piazza sucks at defense, and Rodriguez is amazing behind the plate.

HomeFish
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I can guarantee you that if we have a catcher who plays like you described, the people on this board will kill him for not "hitting much at all"

I will be first in line.